Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:15   #9766
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is there any benefit by resetting? If there is no real advantage, is there any disadvantage? I have a mini OCD when it comes to clutter and junk so I'm terribly tempted to do the reset!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
They will. The software on iPhone's cannot be downgraded, even manually, unless the last 1-2 updates are still being signed.
I carried out the complete reset (settings and content) of my phone and set it up as new.

Couple of observations:

1) My phone automatically connected to all the saved Bluetooth and WiFi networks. Surprising since settings (and hence, WiFi codes) were to be wiped out

2) When I got this phone in the US, they offered a range of apps: Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, Pages free. However, when I tried to install them via the India Appstore, all are charged. Plan to take this up with Apple

Otherwise, no noticeable difference as such.
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:37   #9767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
to the point about performance and fluidness in Oneplus3/3T.My Dad uses OP3 and its super cool phone.

But hey an iPhone is an iPhone and its always distinct, cant be described in words, and I am on iPhone cloud/wonderland!

I might consider Talkase, another product in that website! Wondering how would whatsapp react to the Jio Sim in phone and registered sim in PIECE/TALKASE. Interesting thing, @Durango Dude any pointers/help please since your are using PIECE! Thanks in advance!

Whatsapp will work as it is. Infact, i have a Jio sim in my iphone, and the registered sim is in a secondary phone. Still works as it is.
Whatsapp uses an sms OTP registration, so as long as u can verify with OTP, use whatever sim you like in the device 😁
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:03   #9768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
to the point about performance and fluidness in Oneplus3/3T.My Dad uses OP3 and its super cool phone.

But hey an iPhone is an iPhone and its always distinct, cant be described in words, and I am on iPhone cloud/wonderland!

I might consider Talkase, another product in that website! Wondering how would whatsapp react to the Jio Sim in phone and registered sim in PIECE/TALKASE. Interesting thing, @Durango Dude any pointers/help please since your are using PIECE! Thanks in advance!
You don't have to change your number; there's a prompt when you put in a new SIM if you want to retain the old number or the new one choose the old number and keep using WA as before. Problem is if you guys have an Apple Watch or want to connect you car ICE through Bluetooth then it may be a problem. All my other accounts: WA, FB, Instagram etc work as before. No need to have second thoughts about JIO, haven't faced call drops till now had it for 10 days and the LTE is fast! I hardly use WiFi these days, even when I'm home.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd February 2017 at 15:08.
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:05   #9769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

When I got this phone in the US, they offered a range of apps: Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, Pages free. However, when I tried to install them via the India Appstore, all are charged. Plan to take this up with Apple

Otherwise, no noticeable difference as such.
All these are free here as well. I have them, downloaded using an India purchased 6S. Had the same set on my previous 6 also.
Old 3rd February 2017, 10:53   #9770
Senior - BHPian

In today's news, its officially announced that Iphones will be 'Made in India'. Bangalore will have the assembling facility and is only the third such facility in the world. The facility will commence operations starting April of this year. We can now look forward to the cost being cheaper hopefully.

More news and source here.
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:26   #9771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
The facility will commence operations starting April of this
Atleast they won't be able to give the logic of imports and duties, so technically devices should be cheaper. Hope they bring it down to the current international prices at least, and pray more devices are introduced into the production portfolio in India
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:17   #9772
BANNED

Trump notwithstanding, Apple knows that they have to manufacture / assemble outside the US to survive. Yes, German wages are higher, but the productivity is even more so.
Old 3rd February 2017, 13:02   #9773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Atleast they won't be able to give the logic of imports and duties, so technically devices should be cheaper. Hope they bring it down to the current international prices at least, and pray more devices are introduced into the production portfolio in India
Yeah I think there is going to be a price reduction for sure. Only thing is by how much they would reduce the prices and also from when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Trump notwithstanding, Apple knows that they have to manufacture / assemble outside the US to survive. Yes, German wages are higher, but the productivity is even more so.
Any particular reason for bringing in Germany into the discussion? Was there a consideration to move the production to Germany?
Old 3rd February 2017, 14:36   #9774
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Awesome!

I look forward to owning a domestically made iPhone/iPad in the future!

The iPhone 5S & iPad 2 that I currently use, as well as my previous iPhone 4S, are all assembled in China (the PRC), not even Taiwan. I would any day prefer an assembled in India phone/tablet over one that's assembled in the Middle Kingdom.

Last edited by GTO : 4th February 2017 at 14:53. Reason: Removing derogatory term (com...)
Old 4th February 2017, 18:21   #9775
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Received my iPhone 7 256 gb today, thanks to Paytm for offering a brilliant cash back deal. The phone cost me a net 63k INR after the 10k cash back, cheaper than amazon by almost 11k.

Upgrading from my old iPhone 6 which served me beautifully for 2 years.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 4th February 2017 at 18:22.
Old 4th February 2017, 19:23   #9776
Senior - BHPian

The whole idea that iPhone could cost cheaper since it's manufactured here might not really materialise.

Check iPhone prices in China currently and you would know.
Old 4th February 2017, 22:00   #9777
BHPian

My pal wants to buy my iPhone 6 Plus 64gb. It has about 2 weeks of Apple care left and I can swap it for a replacement just to get fresh hardware but it will cost me 100$. I will be in the US next weekend and can do the swap at an Apple store just before my Apple care ends.
I can decide if I want to sell it as is now or with a fresh replacement (refurb probably). What should be a good price in either case? Can I ask for 33k as is and 40k for the refreshed piece?
Old 6th February 2017, 08:38   #9778
Distinguished - BHPian

Parents purchased a pair of Iphone7 32GB yesterday. With the HDFC cashback on one phone, the price was 54k, which is less than what I paid for my Iphone 6S 64GB. However, I consoled myself that I would later buy the Made in India IP8 whenever that is released.

About the 7, I liked the black colour however it is a sad thing that space grey is no longer available. The space grey back panel looks better than the matte black one. Maybe they could have made the space grey a few points darker and got a gunmetal or a dark grey shade.

The earphone adapter is a very crucial accessory now and it has to be taken care of well. I would have preferred the jack though.
Old 6th February 2017, 10:51   #9779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
You don't have to change your number; there's a prompt when you put in a new SIM if you want to retain the old number or the new one choose the old number and keep using WA as before. ......

No need to have second thoughts about JIO, haven't faced call drops till now had it for 10 days and the LTE is fast! I hardly use WiFi these days, even when I'm home.
Thanks for info and this line, "No need to have second thoughts about Jio", reassures that I might opt MNP in future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Whatsapp will work as it is. Infact, i have a Jio sim in my iphone, and the registered sim is in a secondary phone. Still works as it is.
Whatsapp uses an sms OTP registration, so as long as u can verify with OTP, use whatever sim you like in the device 😁
Quite a trick! 😁

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lets hope its priced at some sane levels!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Received my iPhone 7 256 gb today, thanks to Paytm for offering a brilliant cash back deal. The phone cost me a net 63k INR after the 10k cash back, cheaper than amazon by almost 11k.

Upgrading from my old iPhone 6 which served me beautifully for 2 years.
Congratulations on your new iPhone and its worthy buy from PayTM, with some awesome cashback. In todays world PayTM arguably has best offerings on iPhones!
Old 8th February 2017, 14:30   #9780
BHPian

I phone 6 16GB available for 23k with exchange at Flipkart.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks