Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 22:06   #9781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I phone 6 16GB available for 23k with exchange at Flipkart.
In exchange for a 4 years old oneplus one, it is around 20k. But my bet would be a Oneplus 3T, instead.

Last edited by Gokrish : 8th February 2017 at 22:08.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:23   #9782
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
You don't have to change your number; there's a prompt when you put in a new SIM if you want to retain the old number or the new one choose the old number and keep using WA as before.

No need to have second thoughts about JIO, haven't faced call drops till now had it for 10 days and the LTE is fast! I hardly use WiFi these days, even when I'm home.
Thanks for info and this line,

"No need to have second thoughts about Jio"
, reassures that I might opt MNP in future!
hey thanks for assurances, I have ported to Jio for my iPhone.

The process is very smooth affair, paperless. Time taken to port is approximately 4-5 days. LTE experience on iPhone is awesome and beyond description. Happy to note that latency is very low , and this to me, matters a lot!!!

There is no option to choose between network types(4G/3G/2G) once Jio sim is inserted, its quite understandable since Jio is pure 4G player as of now.

Jio pushes network upgrades to iPhone and my idevice is on Jio 27.1

Battery too seems OK and stable, calls connect in single go most of times, I say so far so good in brief 24 hours stint.

Last edited by novicefreak : 13th February 2017 at 14:27.
Old 14th February 2017, 19:22   #9783
BHPian

@novicefreak Does the iphone work for calls if you turn off 4G? Some of my friends using Jio say that if 4G is turned off, calls cannot be made or received.
Old 14th February 2017, 21:01   #9784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay81 View Post
@novicefreak Does the iphone work for calls if you turn off 4G? Some of my friends using Jio say that if 4G is turned off, calls cannot be made or received.
Hi, on iPhone-Jio combination, calls work fine even when cellular data is turned off!!!That's VoLTE at play! Read on this link to know how advanced Jio is compared to AVoId(Airtel-Vodafone-Idea) thanks!!

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203982
(Navigate to Asia-Pacific->India)

Last edited by novicefreak : 14th February 2017 at 21:02.
Old 15th February 2017, 08:52   #9785
Senior - BHPian

My wife's iPhone 5s is acting funny with time. It seems to show the wrong time for the last few days. Also the clock is either stuck at a particular time or seems to progress slowly (only when the screen is on). This seems to be a particular non-correctible issue with the iPhone. It happened last year and miraculously became alright.
I have played with time settings, etc.
Anybody has faced this issue and managed to sort it out.
(There's no witch doctor or apple service center in my city)
Also my wife's logical solution of upgrading to an iPhone 7 is not in my budget.
Old 15th February 2017, 08:55   #9786
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My wife's iPhone 5s is acting funny with time. It seems to show the wrong time for the last few days. Also the clock is either stuck at a particular time or seems to progress slowly (only when the screen is on). This seems to be a particular non-correctible issue with the iPhone. It happened last year and miraculously became alright.
I have played with time settings, etc.
Anybody has faced this issue and managed to sort it out.
(There's no witch doctor or apple service center in my city)
Also my wife's logical solution of upgrading to an iPhone 7 is not in my budget.
Is the time set to auto-detect? This would set the time on the phone essentially based on the network.

If so, try removing the SIM and replacing it.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:27   #9787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is the time set to auto-detect? This would set the time on the phone essentially based on the network.

If so, try removing the SIM and replacing it.
I've tried the auto and manual settings. Doesn't work.
I haven't removing the sim. I'll try that tonight.

Googling this issue shows that it is a problem with the oscillator crystal. . . Whatever that means!!
Old 15th February 2017, 09:51   #9788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novicefreak View Post
Hi, on iPhone-Jio combination, calls work fine even when cellular data is turned off!!!That's VoLTE at play! Read on this link to know how advanced Jio is compared to AVoId(Airtel-Vodafone-Idea) thanks!!

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT203982
(Navigate to Asia-Pacific->India)
It says Jio support WiFi calling, however I was not able to get this work with my 6s. It would be really great if you get a chance to test WiFi calling on Jio. In fact, coverage is little patchy at my hometown and that's the only thing which is stopping me from porting over to Jio.
Old 15th February 2017, 10:36   #9789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
It says Jio support WiFi calling, however I was not able to get this work with my 6s. It would be really great if you get a chance to test WiFi calling on Jio. In fact, coverage is little patchy at my hometown and that's the only thing which is stopping me from porting over to Jio.
Wifi calling is supported on iPhones, as far as I know it should work with Jionet ie, Jio's Wifi offerings, you may also download from Appstore Jionet app and locate nearest Jionet wifi hotspot. Have not really tested yet as I have not visited any near-by Jionet hotspot , but technically it should work with Jio sim in your iPhone and Jionet wifi.

Also, Jio would push Jionet wifi profile to install on iPhone, (takes couple of seconds to install). This is available once you toggle "wifi calling" settings on iPhone

Last edited by novicefreak : 15th February 2017 at 10:40.
Old 15th February 2017, 14:41   #9790
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone SE bought in Singapore last April has poor battery life. Battery was fine for a week as long as I was on Singtel. It is on the latest update. I'm on BSNL 3G network in Karnataka and signal is patchy in some places. With 3G turned off, battery lasts through the day (12-14 hrs). But with 3G on, the battery barely lasts for 4-5 hrs. No background apps are running. Bluetooth and WiFi is always on. Also I've noted that I run through about 2 Gb of data in 10 days. I rarely browse, never download anything, only usage is email, WhatsApp (images only downloaded) and Facebook, Twitter.
Can anyone shed light on the poor battery performance and excessive data usage? Will changing the network to Airtel or Jio help?

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 15th February 2017 at 14:42. Reason: additional info
Old 15th February 2017, 14:58   #9791
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Also I've noted that I run through about 2 Gb of data in 10 days.
You can check in Settings --> Mobile data to identify which app is draining your data pack. Poor signal and background data usage will surely affect the battery life.
Old 15th February 2017, 16:27   #9792

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My iPhone SE bought in Singapore last April has poor battery life. Battery was fine for a week as long as I was on Singtel. It is on the latest update. I'm on BSNL 3G network in Karnataka and signal is patchy in some places. With 3G turned off, battery lasts through the day (12-14 hrs). But with 3G on, the battery barely lasts for 4-5 hrs. No background apps are running. Bluetooth and WiFi is always on. Also I've noted that I run through about 2 Gb of data in 10 days. I rarely browse, never download anything, only usage is email, WhatsApp (images only downloaded) and Facebook, Twitter.
Can anyone shed light on the poor battery performance and excessive data usage? Will changing the network to Airtel or Jio help?

If you have updated your phone recently then, pls check the Wi-fi symbol in control panel. If it is greyed out ( appears in Grey) then your wi-fi IC has gone, due to which your iphone continuously search for wi-fi network in surroundings. This is common problem for iPhones bought in overseas. I had same problem for my iPhone 6 bought in Japan. Visit nearest apple service Center, technician can check subject to your iphone must be unlocked.

Also,

1) Go to settings and check Location services in Privacy settings. Check for which apps Location service is on.

2) Limit apps for refreshing in background.
Old 15th February 2017, 17:06   #9793
Senior - BHPian

@bhp_maniac Most of the apps are quite low. Safari is about 800Mb, WhatsApp about 300Mb, Facebook about 1.3 gb. System services is 2.2gb. I just want to know what is the common usage? In my previous phones, all Nokia lumias, I'd struggle to finish 1 Gb and end up downloading some useless app to finish the data at month end. My usage has not increased.
@nit787 Have had this problem since the beginning.Wifi works just fine.Location used only by Facebook, Uber and Weather. Not able to find background apps.
Old 16th February 2017, 17:10   #9794
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a way to recover a disabled iphone ? Message on screen says it is disabled, and "slide for emergency call"

* No itunes account
* No backup - and no backup to be restored.
* Just need to get it up & running
Old 16th February 2017, 19:23   #9795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is there a way to recover a disabled iphone ? Message on screen says it is disabled, and "slide for emergency call"

* No itunes account
* No backup - and no backup to be restored.
* Just need to get it up & running
Have you tried getting an iTunes account and then using a USB cable to connect it to your Mac and seeing if it can be reset and restarted.
Or else try calling apple support or chat with them.
Any idea how the phone was disabled?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks