Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2017, 02:10   #9841
Senior - BHPian

To all the iPhone guru's in the house. I am looking to get a secondary phone. Never ever used iPhone and have an itch to give it a shot. Dont have the budget / need to spend on 6/6s/7 range. I saw a couple of sellers here in Melbourne selling (UNUSED) iPhone 5s 64GB for $300 ish mark. Which i dont mind spending.

The QUESTION; is it worth going for iPhone 5s? I know its a century old device as per Apple standards. The other phone's in that range are G4+, Samsung J series etc.

Purpose of this secondary mobile is going to be calls / whatsapp / browsing. My primary handset is Samsung S7.

Regards,
Old 28th February 2017, 02:14   #9842
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
To all the iPhone guru's in the house. I am looking to get a secondary phone. Never ever used iPhone and have an itch to give it a shot. Dont have the budget / need to spend on 6/6s/7 range. I saw a couple of sellers here in Melbourne selling (UNUSED) iPhone 5s 64GB for $300 ish mark. Which i dont mind spending.

The QUESTION; is it worth going for iPhone 5s? I know its a century old device as per Apple standards. The other phone's in that range are G4+, Samsung J series etc.

Purpose of this secondary mobile is going to be calls / whatsapp / browsing. My primary handset is Samsung S7.

Regards,
At least get the SE. The prices anywhere except india are not that high over the 5S but its much faster and better battery life. Even 16gb would be enough for your usage.
Old 28th February 2017, 02:19   #9843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
At least get the SE. The prices anywhere except india are not that high over the 5S but its much faster and better battery life. Even 16gb would be enough for your usage.
Hi,

I did consider SE thinking it wont be as pricey or rather it shouldn't be.

At that price i have a few handsets to choose from.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-1488228513406.jpg  

Old 28th February 2017, 07:56   #9844
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I did consider SE thinking it wont be as pricey or rather it shouldn't be.

At that price i have a few handsets to choose from.

Regards,
Oh man, those prices look like an overkill. Do check if you can get a better price at other stores (that's the case in india) otherwise 5S looks like a better option.
Just keep in mind that it would be a little slower in doing everything as compared to the S7
Old 28th February 2017, 09:21   #9845
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:

Regards,
I would not recommend Iphone5s at this point of time as it does not support VOLTE directly. Go for iphone 6 at least if you are not getting Iphone SE.
Old 28th February 2017, 09:42   #9846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Oh man, those prices look like an overkill. Do check if you can get a better price at other stores (that's the case in india) otherwise 5S looks like a better option.
Just keep in mind that it would be a little slower in doing everything as compared to the S7
Unfortunately most independent stores have them in used condition. Badly used ones. Cant find any SE in better deals anywhere.

Ya i am aware that its going to be slow than S7 for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
I would not recommend Iphone5s at this point of time as it does not support VOLTE directly. Go for iphone 6 at least if you are not getting Iphone SE.
I will check out the iPhone 6 deals if i get any. Since its a secondary phone i am not looking to spend $400+.

Regards,
Old 28th February 2017, 10:09   #9847
BHPian

Quote:
I will check out the iPhone 6 deals if i get any. Since its a secondary phone i am not looking to spend $400+.
I am going against the grain here and will suggest you have a look at the Oneplus 3T. It's a terrific phone and way faster than my 6 plus. I got it for my wife and am very happy with it. Not sure if your location but if India you can purchase this on amazon.in. It's the first android phone in my family and it totally blows away all the iPhones at home (6 plus, 5s and 4s).
Old 28th February 2017, 16:26   #9848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am going against the grain here It's the first android phone in my family and it totally blows away all the iPhones at home (6 plus, 5s and 4s).
The issue with all Androids ( from my experience ) is that they blow iOs on every count initially. Once you start tinkering with them and installing apps and customising them, they start showing their true colours. After a year, the phones loose their sheen, their novelty, their blowing capabilities and what not and actually start slowing down ( requiring a factory reset). By this time, the Android OS has already received 1 or 2 major updates and your phone is left out of the list, which is when you start feeling short changed and look out at changing your hardware.
#TrueStory
Old 28th February 2017, 16:32   #9849
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately most independent stores have them in used condition. Badly used ones. Cant find any SE in better deals anywhere.

Ya i am aware that its going to be slow than S7 for sure.

Regards,
5S would make a great secondary phone, especially if the primary phone is a large one. If you plan to have the iPhone as the primary phone, which I think you will eventually would, buy the 6/6S/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
The issue with all Androids ( from my experience ) is that they blow iOs on every count initially. Once you start tinkering with them and installing apps and customising them, they start showing their true colours. After a year, the phones loose their sheen, their novelty, their blowing capabilities and what not and actually start slowing down ( requiring a factory reset). By this time, the Android OS has already received 1 or 2 major updates and your phone is left out of the list, which is when you start feeling short changed and look out at changing your hardware.
#TrueStory
Agree. Except my Nexus 5X, every Android I had required a reset every few months. And then the frustration waiting for updates eventually to be told that your phone is too old for them to be taken seriously, at which point you start hating them.

To keep your BP low, buy an iPhone. :-)

Last edited by civic-sense : 28th February 2017 at 16:35.
Old 28th February 2017, 16:36   #9850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am going against the grain here and will suggest you have a look at the Oneplus 3T. It's a terrific phone and way faster than my 6 plus. I got it for my wife and am very happy with it. Not sure if your location but if India you can purchase this on amazon.in. It's the first android phone in my family and it totally blows away all the iPhones at home (6 plus, 5s and 4s).
Thanks for the Oneplus 3T suggestion but i dont want Android. Its an itch for Apple that i want to fulfill this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
5S would make a great secondary phone, especially if the primary phone is a large one. If you plan to have the iPhone as the primary phone, which I think you will eventually would, buy the 6/6S/7.
I agree. If it is primary and only phone i would definitely consider 6s / 7. Will do some more research and take a final call in next couple of days. If i happen to go as secondary phone; will have to go for 5s due to ltd budget and requiments. If i happen to decide to make it a primary one; will jump the gun and get 6s. 7 is still out of budget.
Old 28th February 2017, 16:41   #9851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,

Not a good idea, go for the latest. 5s is positively old. May be a 6/6+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
5S would make a great secondary phone, especially if the primary phone is a large one. If you plan to have the iPhone as the primary phone, which I think you will eventually would, buy the 6/6S/7
You could go for PIECE instead of lugging around a secondary iPhone. I've been using it for weeks and it's reliable and works well. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post4138101

Last edited by manson : 28th February 2017 at 21:02. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Old 1st March 2017, 02:03   #9852
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys. Query No. 2.

SE / 5s are out of the question now. Have made up my mind to just use 1 phone. Getting rid of the primary / secondary phone issue. My wifes' mobile plan is due for a renewal in a week and she has an option to choose Samsung S7 / iPhone 6s or iPhone 7. All at same price and plan point. She has a Samsung S6 and is happy to take over my S7. Which means i can use the 6s or 7 she gets.

Is 32GB variant sufficient for both? Which one is better considering the user is locked in for next 24 months. I heard some -ve feedback about iPhone 7 in regards to the removal of 3.5mm headphone jack. How good / bad is it to use the only port available for charging as well as listening to music? Also whats the deal between Black & Jet Black? I believe 32GB variant is available only in 1 of the 2 Black colors.

How is the GPS on iPhones? I heavily rely on Google maps navigation to get around as i don't own a stand alone navigation unit.

Thats it for now. More queries to follow as i read more and more.

Sorry for shooting so many questions. Been an Android user ever since and a BB user before that. The only Apple device i own is a 2015 MacBook Air. Which i mainly use as a day to day device for emails / photo editing / browsing etc.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 1st March 2017 at 02:06.
Old 1st March 2017, 02:21   #9853
BHPian

Quote:
Ok guys. Query No. 2.

Is 32GB variant sufficient for both? Which one is better considering the user is locked in for next 24 months. I heard some -ve feedback about iPhone 7 in regards to the removal of 3.5mm headphone jack. How good / bad is it to use the only port available for charging as well as listening to music? Also whats the deal between Black & Jet Black? I believe 32GB variant is available only in 1 of the 2 Black colors.

How is the GPS on iPhones? I heavily rely on Google maps navigation to get around as i don't own a stand alone navigation unit.

Thats it for now. More queries to follow as i read more and more.

Sorry for shooting so many questions. Been an Android user ever since and a BB user before that. The only Apple device i own is a 2015 MacBook Air. Which i mainly use as a day to day device for emails / photo editing / browsing etc.

Regards,

32GB is sufficient if you dont have a huge media library. To put into perspective, i have about 1000 photos, 600 songs and about 50 user installed apps on my 7 plus, and have used a total of 15gb out of the 27.5gb available to the user.

32GB is available in matte black only. Jet black is for 128gb onwards, to maintain exclusivity.

Coming to GPS, since apple maps is unusable in India, i use google maps on the iphone, and it works fantastically.

Coming to headphones, it can be frustrating at times, but there are workarounds. Getting a decent pair of wireless earphones is one solution (not speaking of the overpriced apple airpods). If you need both wires going in, you do get ugly looking dongles also.

If you use a macbook, you would love having an iphone. The handoff features between the 2 devices work very well. You can answer calls coming to your phone, using your mac. Can start writing a document or view a website on one device, and finish using the other.
Old 1st March 2017, 02:38   #9854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
32GB is sufficient if you dont have a huge media library. To put into perspective, i have about 1000 photos, 600 songs and about 50 user installed apps on my 7 plus, and have used a total of 15gb out of the 27.5gb available to the user.
Thanks Karan. I dont have a hige media library on the go as i always use an external storage to store it all. Have a habit of backing up from Phone / Macbook to HDD once every fortnight.

For music i use spotify / pandora all the time. So none stored ever on my mobile. Do take a lot of pics but back up very frequently. In terms of apps i use mainly Facebook, WhatsApp, tBhp, Skype, Instagram and handful of other travel apps.

What i understand from your post is that 32GB should be sufficient for my useage. On my current S7 it is a 32GB + 64GB microsd card. But have not used more than 14GB in total.

The only thing i need to get over is the headphone jack. I dont ever listen to music while its in charge; its just the whole idea of no 3.5mm jack is a big ?. As you mentioned there are work arounds to it so i think it should be ok.

Forgot to ask one imp Question;
How would i migrate all my contacts / reminders / notes / calender etc from Android to Apple? Are there any specifc apps you guys would suggest?

Should have it all sorted by end of this week.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 1st March 2017 at 02:42.
Old 1st March 2017, 08:30   #9855
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Forgot to ask one imp Question;
How would i migrate all my contacts / reminders / notes / calender etc from Android to Apple? Are there any specifc apps you guys would suggest
If you are planning to buy the phone from a physical store, most have devices that will transfer contacts for you.

The other, more stable and easy, workaround is: coming from Android, your contacts are most likely tied to your Google account, right? You can set up the same Google account on your iPhone; and then select to sync contacts (and reminders, calendar items and notes, if you have them) on the phone. All the contacts will then appear.

Most Viewed