Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:16   #9871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Thanks. I wasn't considering the iPhone SE as the ratings on Amazon were not good.

I looked at the specs again and it looks good.

Since this is an upgrade from the 5s , size may not be a deal breaker.

The reason that I am looking to buy, is that the 5s has started misbehaving. Keeps dropping wifi signal, does not keep time and occasionally shuts down when battery is around 20%. It's 3 years old.

I think this is a hardware problem (?Oscillator crystal).

I'll try a wipe and reset this week, but I doubt that will fix the issue.

Never go on the ratings of websites such as Amazon or Flipkart. They'll always have low ratings for any Apple product because of their premium pricing.

As for your issues with 5s, try updating it to the latest iOS via iTunes. WiFi and random shutdowns seem to be software issues however over 3 years the battery surely would have deteriorated, you can get the battery replaced, though.

SE is a worthy upgrade, I have one and having used it extensively I can vouch for it to serve it's purpose well.

Last edited by Ruchir031 : 2nd March 2017 at 16:21.
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:02   #9872
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Reading couple of rumors and news report saying it might be wrong time to buy an iPhone . Also next version of iPhone might be ditching lightning headphone jack .
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:26   #9873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
However, i still think you would need the Apple id password to activate.
So stuck with a 4 and a 5s due to lack of access to the icloud id where the two phones are tagged to. And they are taking time to reset the icloud password :|

( The 5s which had tried to swim, was worked on by one guy in his small shop. The phone powers on, but not able to test further due to above issue)
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:22   #9874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
Never go on the ratings of websites such as Amazon or Flipkart. They'll always have low ratings for any Apple product because of their premium pricing.

As for your issues with 5s, try updating it to the latest iOS via iTunes. WiFi and random shutdowns seem to be software issues however over 3 years the battery surely would have deteriorated, you can get the battery replaced, though.

SE is a worthy upgrade, I have one and having used it extensively I can vouch for it to serve it's purpose well.
I did a full update and the clock issue remains. It shows random time even when time zone settings etc are correct. It sometimes goes backwards and also just does not move.
Wifi seems a bit more stable after the update.
Another weird issue is that the screen or photos do not rotate when I turn the phone. I'm not sure if this is related.

The reason I was concerned about the SE ratings was that it had a 2.5 score against 4-4.5 for the other iPhones. After reading more reviews, my concerns are unjustified. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by BenjiRoss : 2nd March 2017 at 20:24. Reason: Added more info.
Old 3rd March 2017, 20:57   #9875
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey chaps, need some advice/pointers. I am switching my primary mobile from Android to IOS.

I have the Move to IOS app installed. But is there a method by which I can migrate my WhatsApp chat history to my new iPhone?
Old 4th March 2017, 10:19   #9876
Senior - BHPian

I have an iphone 6. Can users of this phone comment on wifi connectivity? There is another iphone 6 and a second generation Moto G in my house. Both these phones have stable and fast wifi connection. The connectivity between my phone and the router is patchy. The location of my router is far from ideal but the other two phones work without a hitch. While watching YouTube on my iphone, it will either start in HD and drop resolution due to poor connectivity (will recover later), dragging the progress slider to go to a particular point in the video will cause that that little circle going round and round.

The router used is a TP Link Archer C2. I don't use AC wifi standard as range is limited, however, wireless N does HD very well on my other devices and on my Chromecast too. I also have a reliable 75Mbps internet connection. On average it gives me 60Mbps which is pretty good.

I just did a test between my wired desktop (Gigabit connection) and iphone and the results are at opposite ends. The desktop managed 60Mpbs and the iphone result was 16Mbps. This is after being right next to the router.

I have reset the Network settings on my iphone and it has not helped.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th March 2017 at 10:22.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:35   #9877
BHPian

Hi all, got myself a new iPhone SE 64 gb from USA. Costed 28000 Rs after applying apple discount, courtesy fellow BHPian hserus. I was gloating that my old 5s was fast and fluidic. This compact made me rethink that. I can't think of android or other os hereafter.

My old beauty after three years of servitude.

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1488603860.245029.jpg
Old 4th March 2017, 12:42   #9878
ZMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey chaps, need some advice/pointers. I am switching my primary mobile from Android to IOS.

I have the Move to IOS app installed. But is there a method by which I can migrate my WhatsApp chat history to my new iPhone?
You just need to take a backup of Whatsapp on your old phone, enter the same number on your new phones whatsapp application.

It will automatically sync all your messages.

Thanks,
Mohit
Old 4th March 2017, 13:19   #9879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
You just need to take a backup of Whatsapp on your old phone, enter the same number on your new phones whatsapp application.
It will automatically sync all your messages.
Thanks for this Mohit. Yes, I have moved from one Android phone to another using the method you outlined.

The thing is my WhatsApp messages are backed up locally on the Android phone with a 2nd backup on Google Drive. Will the IOS version of the app be able to restore from Google Drive? I will be using an iPhone after a gap of more than 5 years and am not familiar with the new versions of IOS. Hence the question.

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th March 2017 at 13:20.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:30   #9880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Thanks for this Mohit. Yes, I have moved from one Android phone to another using the method you outlined.

The thing is my WhatsApp messages are backed up locally on the Android phone with a 2nd backup on Google Drive. Will the IOS version of the app be able to restore from Google Drive? I will be using an iPhone after a gap of more than 5 years and am not familiar with the new versions of IOS. Hence the question.
I don't think backup messages work from Android to iPhone. They'll work from one Android to another, and one iPhone to another.

Your groups will remain intact, but messages will be cleared.
Old 4th March 2017, 16:59   #9881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Reading couple of rumors and news report saying it might be wrong time to buy an iPhone . Also next version of iPhone might be ditching lightning headphone jack .
Not so sure about that, buddy.

This guy has been pretty accurate, well almost, with his predictions.
Old 4th March 2017, 17:04   #9882
BHPian

Just received my iPhone 6 and completed the initial setup. But the major concern I;m facing is that the phone always remains warm (not extremely hot), even after turning off mobile data, location services, background app refresh etc. Only the Wi-Fi is turned on. Once I connected the phone to the charger, the phone as well as the charger is heating up. Is this normal with regards to iPhones? If it is, a big thumbs down. If not, could somebody suggest some fixes?
Old 4th March 2017, 18:41   #9883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Just received my iPhone 6 and completed the initial setup. But the major concern I;m facing is that the phone always remains warm (not extremely hot), even after turning off mobile data, location services, background app refresh etc. Only the Wi-Fi is turned on. Once I connected the phone to the charger, the phone as well as the charger is heating up. Is this normal with regards to iPhones? If it is, a big thumbs down. If not, could somebody suggest some fixes?
Even my iPhone used to feel warm all the time until I put a Spigen cover. After that I've never had this issue. Would suggest you to get that!
Old 4th March 2017, 21:50   #9884
Oxy
BHPian

Does the 32GB iPhone 6 even exist? This looks like some scam.

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B01NCN4...d_i=1389432031
Old 4th March 2017, 22:12   #9885
BHPian

I read this today, but not sure if it is launched in India

http://m.gsmarena.com/apple_quietly_...news-23772.php

Most Viewed