Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2017, 09:49   #10156
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I have never felt anything lacking with my 6 which I was using until 2 days ago.
3D touch is a sure miss for me, I got used to it pretty fast and am a fan of it now. Everytime I pickup my old iPhone 6, I end up trying to 3D touch Bigger RAM is another plus given the fact that some apps I closed 2-3 days before starts perfectly from where I left off. Really impressed in this area with iOS. Also, the selfie cam on the 6, even though perfectly fine for facetime calls was lacking in pixel count to take any decent profile picture. Being said that the iPhone 6 I was using before is happily being used within the family by parents.
Old 18th June 2017, 10:09   #10157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
.....to be able to cradle the phone in one's palm and type with one's thumb - all the while using only one hand....
I think thats the most important reason I moved from a large size Android to iPhone 6 ! I had a habit (which is no more) reading news updates just before sleeping. Holding a 5.5 inch screen with a 3800 mAh battery built in, it was a corporal punishment for my thumbs and supporting joints while resting on the pillow. I would say iPhone 6 size and weight never irritates even if I chose to watch some Youtube before conking off to sleep

I miss the back button big time even now. Also hate the click press of the home button.
Old 18th June 2017, 10:10   #10158
BHPian

People using the iPhone 7 plus.
Is it really too uncomfortably large like people say or something you get used to.
I have normal sized hands.
Is the display, battery and camera worth the large footprint?
Or should I stick to the smaller 7?
Old 18th June 2017, 11:16   #10159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iss1307 View Post
Is it really too uncomfortably large like people say or something you get used to.

Honestly, the phone is huge. I moved from the 6 to a 7 plus, because i got a deal i could not refuse : had initially gone in to buy the smaller 7.
I have relatively large hands thanks to my larger body frame (im north of 6 feet and wear size 12 shoes) and even then i find it slightly uncomfortable at times. The reachability features definitely help, but it can be an inconvenience for sure.
But then, the dual camera, extra 1GB ram, and the larger battery is definitely a plus point. Ive managed to click some amazing pictures using the portrait mode.
All in all, i don't regret it, but i suggest borrowing one (even the older 6/6S plus will do), use it for a couple of hours to get a hang of the size before taking the plunge.
Old 18th June 2017, 12:04   #10160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Honestly, the phone is huge. I moved from the 6 to a 7 plus, because i got a deal i could not refuse : had initially gone in to buy the smaller 7.
I have relatively large hands thanks to my larger body frame (im north of 6 feet and wear size 12 shoes) and even then i find it slightly uncomfortable at times. The reachability features definitely help, but it can be an inconvenience for sure.
But then, the dual camera, extra 1GB ram, and the larger battery is definitely a plus point. Ive managed to click some amazing pictures using the portrait mode.
All in all, i don't regret it, but i suggest borrowing one (even the older 6/6S plus will do), use it for a couple of hours to get a hang of the size before taking the plunge.
I had planned on doing the same.
But nobody has the plus size in my circle.
I went to Croma but because they have attached the security guard on the back I could not experience it fully.
Dual camera, battery life (I am a power user), 3GB RAM and the rich look is what makes me inclined towards the plus, even though it completely obliterates one handed use.
Old 18th June 2017, 12:21   #10161
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
I went to Croma but because they have attached the security guard on the back I could not experience it fully.
Dual camera, battery life (I am a power user), 3GB RAM and the rich look is what makes me inclined towards the plus, even though it completely obliterates one handed use.

Check if anyone/store has a used plus size iphone for sale. Use the phone on the pretext of testing it,and then obviously refuse the purchase, and offer a small amount or a gift in exchange for their time and energy 😃.
Not the most ethical way, but it will definitely get the job done

Edit: Thanks to large hands, i actually manage single hand usage, with a swipe keyboard, reachability features and swipe control gestures.
The IOS11 update is going to bring a one handed keyboard mode, which will shrink it a little bit and bring it to the left/right hance making it easier to reach.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 18th June 2017 at 12:24.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:21   #10162
BANNED

Quote:
Go to an apple premium reseller, those have a very small security puck, almost negligible. Gives a much better feel of the size.

And just to be sure, there is no way you can use the plus size one handed for anything other than making calls. You absolutely need two hands, especially in the first few days. I have a Redmi note 3 which also has a 5.5 inch display that i use one handed all the time, but when using the 7 plus (which my dad has), i find it too heavy and big to use one handed, mostly due to the really large bezels. But i would suggest picking the plus size anyway, unless you REALLY want a compact phone or have a budget to stick to. Reason= Battery life and not just now, but even a year or two down the line, it will retain enough charge to get you through the day, but the regular size is just enough to do that new, out of the box. An year later, it deteriorates.
Old 18th June 2017, 13:58   #10163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Reason= Battery life and not just now, but even a year or two down the line, it will retain enough charge to get you through the day, but the regular size is just enough to do that new, out of the box. An year later, it deteriorates.
Man, that's a very very good point.
Battery life. One of the areas I am struggling with my Nexus 5 and I've seen many 6,6s owners complain about it too, all of them initially happy with it.
Thanks a lot Agam. Now there's no doubt in my mind.
And yes I'll visit some Apple store to get a good hands on experience.
Old 19th June 2017, 18:46   #10164
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

So my wife's iPhone 7 256GB has also arrived - Jet Black. In Jet Black packaging as well.
It s a nice surprise for her when she comes back from her travels, to find a brand spanking new phone awaiting her!
Im sure she'll enjoy it.
And her old iPhone 6 can go to her Dad and ease his screen size requirements!
Old 19th June 2017, 20:19   #10165
BHPian

Quote:
I am a normal sized person with normal sized hands. I have been using a 6 plus and now I am using a 7 plus. The phone size is big, but you will get used to it in no time. In fact, when I changed my 6plus, I initially bought a iPhone 7, but having got used to the size of 6 plus, I quickly sold it and went for 7 plus. The camera is definitely superior and battery and the extra RAM make it a good buy.I feel you should go for it after getting a feel of it in an apple showroom. I don't think you will regret the buy.
Old 19th June 2017, 20:33   #10166
Senior - BHPian

One of my office colleague has bought iPhone 7 128 GB for Rs. 47000 from paytm after cashback.

Good deal IMO, sharing as it might be beneficial for somebody who is looking to buy the same.
Old 20th June 2017, 16:01   #10167
BANNED

I'm planning to buy the Iphone SE (16/32gb). Amazon is giving good discounts on it today (almost 4k off).
But last Sunday I checked at Croma and another store - No discounts. 32 gb for 27 K and 16gb for 24.

Is there a remote possibility for price reduction at physical stores - pre GST impact?

I am skeptical about buying from amazon. Don't want to get into replacement hassles if I get a faulty product.
Old 21st June 2017, 00:13   #10168
BHPian

There are very strong rumours which point towards USB type C for 2017 iPhones.
As Apple is already using it with their laptops.
I'm in a dilemma now whether to plunge for the iPhone 7 plus or not.
Old 21st June 2017, 01:00   #10169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are very strong rumours which point towards USB type C for 2017 iPhones.
As Apple is already using it with their laptops.
I'm in a dilemma now whether to plunge for the iPhone 7 plus or not.
The type C will be on charger side not on phone side. Phone will remain lightning from what I know.
Old 21st June 2017, 07:12   #10170
BHPian

There is a strange problem i am facing on my iPhone 7 these days. When i open the appstore for updating the apps, none of the apps get updated, they just be at the waiting stage. Any idea what might the issue ?

Most Viewed