Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2017, 14:30   #10216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello iGurus, (please bear with a few questions from a person who has never used an i*** device before)

What is the main differences between Android and iOS? I'm considering getting an iPhone SE for grad school in USA.
I see a deal in AT&T prepaid- $245 for the device (yes, brand new) and a I have use their service for a minimum of 6 months.

1. Is there anything specifically I'll miss from Android? (Has anyone ever felt this)

2. Also, how many more OS updates will the SE get?

3. Do I compulsorily need to use iTunes on my windows PC to upload music into the phone?

4. How good is google integration? (Contacts, Drive, Calendar, Photo sync etc) I literally live in the google ecosystem and wouldn't consider moving away at all.

5. Have you bought any (commonly used) apps?

6. Is 32 GB good enough considering I won't keep too many images/music offline?

7. Will I be willing to use Android again?

TIA

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 17th July 2017 at 14:33.
Old 17th July 2017, 16:18   #10217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello iGurus, (please bear with a few questions from a person who has never used an i*** device before)

What is the main differences between Android and iOS? I'm considering getting an iPhone SE for grad school in USA.
I see a deal in AT&T prepaid- $245 for the device (yes, brand new) and a I have use their service for a minimum of 6 months.

1. Is there anything specifically I'll miss from Android? (Has anyone ever felt this)
You will miss installation of paid apps for free (you can jailbreak but for a beginner, that process could get cumbersome). Apple has blocked installation of unsigned package apps from iOS 9+

Quote:
Apple skips a generation every time it launches a major version of iOS. with the launch of iOS 11, iPhone 5 will face the axe. Since iPhone6 and iPhone6s Shares the same processor. I think you are good to for at least an year. but performance will be little bit sluggish on iPhone SE with iOS 11

Quote:
3. Do I compulsorily need to use iTunes on my windows PC to upload music into the phone?
Not all all. I don't think you have to use iTunes at all for copy paste to and from the iPhone . I personally think iTunes is too complicated for normal use and if you have multiple iOS devices the situation becomes even more complicated. There is a third party app called 'syncios' completely free and using this application is as simple as copy paste for all your songs/contacts/messages/photos/app backup etc

Quote:
4. How good is google integration? (Contacts, Drive, Calendar, Photo sync etc) I literally live in the google ecosystem and wouldn't consider moving away at all.
Compared to Android, its not much integrated into iOS. You do get your contacts, reminders and notes automatically synced and then there is google drive and Google Photo app that is available on App-store for free.

Quote:
5. Have you bought any (commonly used) apps?
Commonly used productivity apps are usually free.

Quote:
6. Is 32 GB good enough considering I won't keep too many images/music offline?
In 32GB, usable space would be around 26–28 gigs. It would be sufficient for you if you back up photos on your computer after every 6 months. You would easily be able to play all the games and all. I have a 128 GB iPhone 7 Plus and I have only used 21 gigs yet.

Quote:
7. Will I be willing to use Android again?
I personally feel that the GUI of iOS way more beautiful and advanced than android but Android v/s iOS debate is very sensitive. I had heard so much about One Plus 5 but after a week I realized that it is not my cup of the tea. So, I think you just have to use it and decide. All the best!

I have been using iPhones ever since I could remember. I had tried One Plus 5, sold within a week's purchase. It's like once you go black you can never go back. :-) Also, I being an apple fan boy, my answers will be a little biased

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th July 2017 at 17:49. Reason: See mod note
Old 18th July 2017, 08:55   #10218
BHPian

Quote:

TIA
The post above me has summed up everything well. I just wanted to opine on the above points.

You should ideally be able to also get a SE for $99 with a 2 year contract if I am not mistaken. Have you checked other options?

As SE has an Apple A9 processor, which is basically the same as in a 6s, it is good to go for at least 2-3 more years. I am currently using iOS 11 beta with iPhone 6s and it works flawlessly. So, you at least don't have to worry about the iOS 11. I would still suggest that you see if you can find a deal for 6s (if your're not very particular about getting only a 4" phone). 6s has a big advantage of force touch, which, once you start using, is a great feature to have.

Sync'ing music has become very easy with Apple music (if you are subscribing). You can just use iTunes for creating backups and dragging/dropping movies/videos to specific multimedia apps like VLC, nPlayer etc. Yes, you have the feature of dragging and dropping files directly to apps. iTunes is really not that complex.

Google integration is sufficiently good. I am also using Google Drive, calendar, email etc and all the stock calendar/email apps can be used for Google too. Also, you can now share stuff off and to the google drive from other apps too.

And, there's an app, "move to iOS" in case you are moving your stuff from Android to iOS.

Last edited by AZ911 : 18th July 2017 at 08:57.
Old 18th July 2017, 09:35   #10219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ911 View Post
As SE has an Apple A9 processor, which is basically the same as in a 6s, it is good to go for at least 2-3 more years.
Very well summed up! However, isn't the 4" SE screen simply too small especially for media and email? I can barely cope with my 5.15" Mi5 and urgently need a phablet to replace my bricked Note 4.

Worth considering this point, I feel.
Old 18th July 2017, 09:57   #10220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very well summed up! However, isn't the 4" SE screen simply too small especially for media and email? I can barely cope with my 5.15" Mi5 and urgently need a phablet to replace my bricked Note 4.

Worth considering this point, I feel.
Well, that's for him to decide. I am currently using a 4.7, a 5.5 and a 4" inch screen and I personally prefer the 4.7". I think it has the best of both worlds. However, the omission of force touch on the SE is a serious downer for me. This feature really makes some tasks easier.
Old 18th July 2017, 20:38   #10221
Senior - BHPian

Thank you drive_angry, AZ911 and itwasntme.

Quote:
You should ideally be able to also get a SE for $99 with a 2 year contract if I am not mistaken. Have you checked other options?
I'd like to stay off contract as they generally tend to be more expensive(Correct me if I'm wrong.) I was initially planning to buy buy a Moto G5+/G4+ ($300/270) and spend around $30-35 a month for service.

This offer was too tempting. I don't mind changing form Android to iOS as the SE has a great camera.

Quote:
As SE has an Apple A9 processor, which is basically the same as in a 6s, it is good to go for at least 2-3 more years.
Good to know! I kind of expected it as the SE has the same hardware and powers lesser pixels.

Quote:
...see if you can find a deal for 6s
I know the 6s is superior, but I already highlighted my budget constraints. If I find anything within the budget, I'll surely buy it.

Quote:
Sync'ing music has become very easy with Apple music .....

Google integration is sufficiently good....
Good to know!

Quote:
And, there's an app, "move to iOS" in case you are moving your stuff from Android to iOS
This will not be useful as I'll be carrying an old phone. I'll leave my current Mi4i with my sister and take 2013 Galaxy Grand to the US. There'll be no data in my android phone.

Thanks anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Very well summed up! However, isn't the 4" SE screen simply too small especially for media and email?
I've had some neck pain and my doctor advised me not to read too much on the smartphone. The pain has drastically reduced. Next step is to use a monitor for my laptop.

So, I actually don't mind going back to 4". And I miss the compact size of my Lumia 520.

The Redmi Note 4g (5.5") was irritating and the Mi4i (which is marginally wider and thicker than the iPhone 6) with the 5" screen made me read more on smartphones.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th July 2017 at 20:40.
Old 18th July 2017, 21:39   #10222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'd like to stay off contract as they generally tend to be more expensive(Correct me if I'm wrong.) I was initially planning to buy buy a Moto G5+/G4+ ($300/270) and spend around $30-35 a month for service.
@landcruiser, look around for deals. You can find deals as good as around 200-225 for an iPhone SE payable monthly. The monthly contracts are not bad actually.

I myself have been looking for a compact smartphone, and the iphone SE is only of the very few good phones with a good camer, and one that is compact too. Sony does have the Compact Xperia's, but I have been using Sony's for quite some time and wanted to try something different.
Old 19th July 2017, 09:27   #10223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@landcruiser, look around for deals....
Thanks condor.

I saw a deal for the SE at $159 on Boost Mobile, it'll be locked (for 12 months) though.

Their service is cheap too- at $30 a month with auto-recharge. So I'll just ask around and order one if the service is good in MN.

Quote:
I myself have been looking for a compact smartphone, and the iphone SE is only of the very few good phones with a good camera....
At the same price point, I think iPhones are better than any Android phone. I've consistently heard (even from advanced users) that iPhones can be used for 3 years easily.
Old 19th July 2017, 09:36   #10224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I saw a deal for the SE at $159 on Boost Mobile, it'll be locked (for 12 months) though.
If you are planing to keep it longer and may be even bring it back to India, then check the models & supported frequency ranges too.

Quote:
At the same price point, I think iPhones are better than any Android phone. I've consistently heard (even from advanced users) that iPhones can be used for 3 years easily.
My Sony Xperia S is now inching up to the 4 year mark. Except for a couple of drops, the phone is as good as it was back then.

iPhone / iOS is closed ecosystem. I am trying to find a suitable android, but no luck yet.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:00   #10225
BHPian

Quote:
I can vouch for the longevity of iPhones. I have a 5 year old 4S working flawlessly till date.
Old 19th July 2017, 12:49   #10226
BHPian

I think jio uses 1800 mhz band and airtel 2300. So, if your phone supports 4G, it should work in India. 5s onwards are all supoorted afaik, SE definitely. So, even if it is locked for 12 months, it should be fine. Also, you can get it unlocked for $30-50. Just find the cheapest gsm deal.
Old 19th July 2017, 18:30   #10227

Quote:
I think jio uses 1800 mhz band and airtel 2300. So, if your phone supports 4G, it should work in India. 5s onwards are all supoorted afaik, SE definitely. So, even if it is locked for 12 months, it should be fine. Also, you can get it unlocked for $30-50. Just find the cheapest gsm deal.
To use VoLTE in Jio, 5S won't work, it supports 4G data but not VoLTE.

For Jio you need 6/6S/SE and above.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:27   #10228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
To use VoLTE in Jio, 5S won't work, it supports 4G data but not VoLTE.

For Jio you need 6/6S/SE and above.
Any 4G phone works. Just that it may not be VoLTE out of the box. So just download the Jio calling app and make it work .
Old 20th July 2017, 09:53   #10229
BHPian

I have a spare iPhone 5s running iOS9. Never updated it as I thought it'll slow it down. Planning to give the phone to my sister now and thought I'll just update it.

My question is, how is the phone running on iOS10? Is it still fast / smooth or has it become marginally slower? Thanks!
Old 20th July 2017, 09:55   #10230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
I have a spare iPhone 5s running iOS9. Never updated it as I thought it'll slow it down. Planning to give the phone to my sister now and thought I'll just update it.

My question is, how is the phone running on iOS10? Is it still fast / smooth or has it become marginally slower? Thanks!
We have two 5s in the family; both running the latest iteration: 10.3.2 (10.3.3 came out today).

Absolutely no problem; or difference in performance after the update.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks