Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 14:30   #10381
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
SE is in consideration. How is the battery life?
And most importantly - are iPhones sturdy. I keep dropping my phone (it has an armour cover). The phone will also be used as a car navigator - so is the screen bright enough and can it take sustained sunlight.
Battery life is average at best. Normal usage on Wi-Fi / cellular lasts about a day, however it charges twice as quick as normal Androids.

For all those slippery hands, the covers have to come to rescue. Again, this is subjective, as my SE's proximity stopped working once when I dropped and luckily got the phone replaced under warranty. But on an overall, the build is designed to last.

Auto-brightness is a charm in iPhone as I've seen it struck up in many Androids but the iPhone's light sensor dynamically adjusts the brightness and it is bright enough in broad daylight and lacks nothing to comment about.
Old 13th September 2017, 14:31   #10382
Team-BHP Support

Very disappointed seeing the first impressions of the iPhone X. Bezel less display alright, but IMO - one of the worst designs of it.

Galaxy S8, essential phone etc looks much better IMO. Hopefully, the next version gets better.
Old 13th September 2017, 16:20   #10383
BHPian

My biggest grudge is that the screen is NOT changing! iPhone 6, then 7 and now 8, all have the exact same screen (Size, Resolution, DPI)!

Absolutely nothing has changed from iPhone 7 to 8, apart from the processor and wireless charging.

IPhone 8 should be renamed as iPhone 7S- (because it's not even good enough for 7s)
Old 13th September 2017, 19:47   #10384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
SE is in consideration. How is the battery life?
And most importantly - are iPhones sturdy. I keep dropping my phone (it has an armour cover). The phone will also be used as a car navigator - so is the screen bright enough and can it take sustained sunlight.
Recent SE owner and have been using it for about a month now. Battery lasts for around 26 hours on standby time with about 5 hours of usage. The 5 hours is not Screen On Time but the total usage time with background apps etc. Those are the stats that I have noticed off late.
Coming to being sturdy, if protected in a case they stand the test of time very well. My colleague who has an iPhone 5 which is almost 5 years old looking as good as new and still works even with the memory being full. No dents or broken edges etc since it was protected in a case. Without a case it is very slippery and chances of dropping it are high.
Auto brightness as already mentioned by another member is the best I have seen ever compared to most Android's. It is perfect for all conditions including brightly lit conditions or very sunny outdoor conditions.
Old 14th September 2017, 05:55   #10385
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure what the disappointment is but the top dog Android still don't have an answer to some of tech that debuted in iPhone 6s because they tend to copy the tech that iPhone debuts.
No 3D touch
The CPU/GPU - even the 2 year old iPhone 6s Plus has almost the same performance as the current top Android phone. That should count for something.

The iPhone X has
1.Face ID which as per Apple is more secure than fingerprint security. Before you say Android had it first, even the latest Galaxy was fooled by a picture. There is just no comparison between these two technologies.
2. True tone display. I have this on my iPad Pro 10.5 and I cannot stress how good that it.
2. The A11 Bionic chip which neural engine built in
3. 4K @ 60 fps, 240 fps @ 1080p -- None of the Android phones can do this.
4. iPhone was pretty darn competitive with a smaller sensor and aperture as far as camera is concerned. The new keeps the same aperture but increases the size of the sensor and with noise reduction built into the hardware ISP, I am pretty sure this would be the best camera in a mobile phone.
5. The face id tech also helps deliver some of the other tech such as portrait lightning, animated emoji's. If Apple opens the API for the hardware, which I think they will, I cant wait to see what developers can do with it.

Now Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has almost the same price (almost $950 US) but is nowhere near the capability of the iPhone. Almost every Android phone has the same generic hardware (Snapdragon 835) and software (with their own ridiculous software layer on top), fragmentation and horrendous support.

Even if I were to ignore all that and still buy an Android phone, I still cannot ignore that upgrade support from Android OEM's is absolutely horrendous. The software is atleast 6-8 months behind the latest version and the support ceases after a period of 2 years. Even the 4 years old iPhone 5s is getting the latest iOS 11. Thats four years worth of updates for a phone which is unheard of in the Android world. And I am not even taking into account that iOS just works and Apple customer support is second to none.

I will say that I am slightly disappointed by the price and would have liked Touch ID along with Face ID but then again Apple is not known to put into more than one form of biometric authentication unlike Samsung's of the world which basically throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. If I have a $1000 to spend, I still cannot see why anyone would take an Android phone over the iPhone X.

If you ignore the iPhone X, even the iPhone 8 and 8 plus is a tall order for an Android flagship and they are actually cheaper than the current top Android phone!

Last edited by extreme_torque : 14th September 2017 at 05:59.
Old 14th September 2017, 08:18   #10386
BHPian

The iphone CPU/GPU may be better than andriod CPU/ GPU but iOS is simpler operating sytem which doesnt burden CPU/ GPU.
The CPU isnt strained by insane screen resolution of Andriod flagships. iOS is better optimized than andriod due to closed ecosystem.

The real test would be to compare same processor with different operating system.

I am totally disappointed with new iphones. For me nothing new except for some cosmetic upgrades.
As usual Apple PR have achieved creating a buzz around their iproducts which only Apple could do.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 14th September 2017 at 08:20.
Old 14th September 2017, 08:29   #10387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
The iphone CPU/GPU may be better than andriod CPU/ GPU but iOS is simpler operating sytem which doesnt burden CPU/ GPU.
So CPU/GPU is better you agree and on top of that iOS doesnt burden it. I would say win win.

Also very curious to know what your definition of "simpler" is? Is it simpler because it does not let you send a file over bluetooth or let you access the file system? I would assume that such a restricted system would have more checks and balances in place and hence should be more bloated.

Quote:
The CPU isnt strained by insane screen resolution of Andriod flagships. iOS is better optimized than andriod due to closed ecosystem.
Same old excuse. There are multiple videos on youtube where reducing the resolution doesnt make any difference what so ever to the performance of the phone.
Speaking of resolution, the so called Galaxy phones with ultra high resolution screens comes with lower resolution setting by default. That tells you how much is it for user experience and how much is it for spec sheet wars.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:06   #10388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

Also very curious to know what your definition of "simpler" is? Is it simpler because it does not let you send a file over bluetooth or let you access the file system? I would assume that such a restricted system would have more checks and balances in place and hence should be more bloated.
Your statement resonates with me. I once worked on a file system that made life very simple for administrators and absorbed all the complexities within the code. It indeed was very difficult to make it simple.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:17   #10389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am totally disappointed with new iphones. For me nothing new except for some cosmetic upgrades.
As usual Apple PR have achieved creating a buzz around their iproducts which only Apple could do.
It’s a bit like some of the generation changes happen with German luxury car brands – subtle changes to enhance the already stable and premium experience. Any huge PR exercise without a capable product to back it up will be set for failure, which is not really the case with Apple.
The iPhone X is insanely priced, but I am sure it will create huge queues in front of the stores on the day it’s launched
Old 14th September 2017, 09:47   #10390
BHPian

Hi,

One stupid question. People are saying that during the apple event yesterday, the Face ID did not work at one of the demonstrations. I saw the video but did not come across any such thing. When the Face ID demonstration was about to happen, the apple executive encountered a passcode screen - but this does not mean the Face ID did not work right? Any idea what are people referring to?
Old 14th September 2017, 10:37   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

One stupid question. People are saying that during the apple event yesterday, the Face ID did not work at one of the demonstrations. I saw the video but did not come across any such thing. When the Face ID demonstration was about to happen, the apple executive encountered a passcode screen - but this does not mean the Face ID did not work right? Any idea what are people referring to?

People love making mountains out of a molehill. It was a prep failure, since the device hadn't been unlocked with passcode for the first time(which is needed to activate touch ID even now).
So the face unlock did not work at first go.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:58   #10392
BHPian

Here we go again people doing Android vs iPhone. I used to use Android but for a year now using iPhone 6s Plus and can't still imagine how can iPhone be called a simple phone to use but to set a song as ringtone I have to go though some 15 steps and connect phone to iTunes etc.

Why can't I simply download a song, long press it and choose option set as ringtone. I had that feature even in Symbian way back in 2008.

There are pros too, right now in Safari I have 283 tabs open but phone will just not hang. I remember android days, 15 tabs in chrome and phone crashed.

Anyways will give iPhone 8 & 10 a miss as bored of iPhone completely. Thinking about switching to Blackberry Keyone, as bar design is getting way too boring. Where are the days with flip phones, slider, swirl, double slider etc.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:36   #10393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

One stupid question. People are saying that during the apple event yesterday, the Face ID did not work at one of the demonstrations.
When Craig Federighi tried it for the 1st time, it didn't open, but subsequently he did it 4-6 times and it unlocked on every occasion. Media needs masala and they got it. No one will mention the strike rate of success, but project failures prominently.
On a side note, I wonder how Face ID and Hijab'd women are going to go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
to use but to set a song as ringtone I have to go though some 15 steps and connect phone to iTunes etc.

That is pure exaggeration, but I do get your point. Technically you download the mp3 and copy it to your tones folder in itunes, connect the phone and sync it. The file is there in your phone to set as a ringtone.

I had read about a survey of Phone users, where it stated that 96 % ( +-) users( mixed hardware) used the phone on silent setting throughout their usage. Maybe Apple found it an unimportant feature to include therefore.
Caller tunes and Fancy ringtones are a very asian specific requirement.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 14th September 2017 at 12:37.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:49   #10394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not sure what the disappointment is
Haha!! ET my friend you can spend a lifetime explaining android users the benefits but they will never budge to your logical arguments.

I have been trying to make the same point about the pricing that an S8 costs significantly more than an iPhone 7 (in India at least). Also, very few people have noticed that the online pricing of iPhones, lately, have been at par with US, even cheaper at times.

Another thing I noticed is people bashing and making fun of the FACE ID unlock failure at the keynote event, but noone applauded how well he managed the rest of his presentation in spite of an initial goof up which was completely not his fault.

Majority of the Apple bashers I have come across have never used the devices, however, they will be first in line to criticize the battery life, display quality, speaker volume, etc. of the phones.

Its a never ending debate but some food for thought for haters: How does a 1700 MaH battery of iPhone 6 (which is still a very capable device) give similar battery life as compared to a 3000-3500 MaH battery of an Android device?

P.S: I bought my iPhone 6 in 2014 and it still runs very well and gives me a screen on time of around 6 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
That is pure exaggeration, but I do get your point. Technically you download the mp3 and copy it to your tones folder in itunes, connect the phone and sync it. The file is there in your phone to set as a ringtone.

I had read about a survey of Phone users, where it stated that 96 % ( +-) users( mixed hardware) used the phone on silent setting throughout their usage. Maybe Apple found it an unimportant feature to include therefore.
Caller tunes and Fancy ringtones are a very asian specific requirement.
I remember reading somewhere, Apple did not allow downloading because they wanted to prevent piracy. Also, it helped their Apple Music business.

Last edited by Pancham : 14th September 2017 at 12:54.
Old 14th September 2017, 12:53   #10395
Team-BHP Support

My biggest disappointment is the pricing in India, at 89000 INR for the base model, it simply is OVERPRICED for what it offers. Yes it is great to have wireless charging and a super processor, the screen size increase while maintaining the form is something i was looking forward to. Home button though i am very used to it now, should not be a big show stopper for me, looking at the advantage of larger screen area. But 89k price is outrageous. iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 and then to iPhone 10 no way justified beyond 60-62k.

For the first time after 8-9 years of iPhone purchases, i am no more tempted. Reality strikes me hard and i would rather upgrade the 2011 Macbook i have.

Sorry apple no matter what you say to this fan boy, i can't justify or accept your pricing in India. Care or not!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks