Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2017, 22:10   #10606
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Checked out the iPhone X yesterday, nothing special at all - underwhelming would be an apt description.

For people who are interested and a lack of the home button is a deal breaker, checkout the video from Sakitech. Problem solved

Cheers
Old 5th November 2017, 06:51   #10607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
30 hours on usage on 6S? Is that usage (onscreen) or stand-by? I believe 6-7 hours of onscreen time is standard for the non-plus models.
Not a heavy user here. I was not talking about screen time, but total usage time. Just wanted to give a comparison between 11.0.3 and 11.1.
Old 5th November 2017, 11:23   #10608
Senior - BHPian

Had booked an iPhone X via the Reliance Jio + Citibank cashback offer. Got a message yesterday that the phone is sitting at the store and the Citibank credit card that I applied for is still not here yet.

With the Jio 70% cashback after 12 months and Citibank instant 10,000 cashback the phone would have cost me around Rs 1800 a month for a year.
Old 5th November 2017, 11:40   #10609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Placed an order at Airtel online store using Citi bank credit card
I also did via Citibank, Airtel guy called in Morning and delivered a while back, taking backup of old and will post initial expressions later, size is definitely smaller than iPhone 7 Plus that I currently use and new one feels heavy as well, but if past experience is anything, it should be different ( for better) than last generation.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-1.jpeg  

Old 5th November 2017, 16:44   #10610
Team-BHP Support

No matter what, get a good case that protects all around, like Spigen. The glass back replacement is more than half the price of the device

The missing home button is pretty easy to get along with, and the Face ID is actually quiet convenient, even works in dark. Only thing I dislike is the weight and boy it does feel heavy compared to iPhone 7!
Old 5th November 2017, 18:25   #10611
tud
BHPian

Not sure if my iOS 11 experience goes to this thread or the spooky experience thread.

Every night when I go to sleep, I turn off my mobile data and then disconnect the wifi connection through the control centre (iOS 11 has made this just a disconnect option for a particular wifi network and does not turn off the device's wifi).

My first alarm goes off at 4:30 am. Alternate days I wake up on the alarm and head out.

Rest of the days I'll snooze the alarm and go back to sleep. I will wake up on my own between 6 and 6:15 am. I will raise the phone, press the power button, screen would light up, I'll confirm the time and get back to sleep.

Now is the tricky part.

As I drop my phone next to me, all sorts of notification sounds will start singing - whats app, iMessage, news app notifications, emails.

Now how does this happen? How does the phone connect to the wifi on its own? My iPhone night shift (for viewing purpose) is set to 9pm - 7 am. I'm using iPhone 5S and the iOS is up to date.
Old 5th November 2017, 19:16   #10612
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

This is a question to all iPhone X geeks out there. My major concern with removal of Touch ID is what happens to banking apps which allowed access based on Touch ID? Does Face ID natively replace Touch ID in such apps or are we back to the good old days of entering and remembering passwords?
Old 5th November 2017, 19:47   #10613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Now how does this happen? How does the phone connect to the wifi on its own? My iPhone night shift (for viewing purpose) is set to 9pm - 7 am. I'm using iPhone 5S and the iOS is up to date.
iOS 11 the control centre toggle temp disables wifi, if you want to fully disable you have to go inside settings and set it off for the duration. Do a google check and it is explained well and it is termed as a feature! I personally can't understand the reasoning for the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Does Face ID natively replace Touch ID in such apps or are we back to the good old days of entering and remembering passwords?
Double click power button to invoke processing and Face ID check happens, for all of the above ^
Old 5th November 2017, 21:58   #10614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
iOS 11 the control centre toggle temp disables wifi, if you want to fully disable you have to go inside settings and set it off for the duration. Do a google check and it is explained well and it is termed as a feature! I personally can't understand the reasoning for the same

It is mentioned in settings that when you toggle wifi off from the control centre, it is toggled off only for unknown networks, meaning the phone will not search for any new networks. But wifi will still be enabled for known networks.
Old 6th November 2017, 02:06   #10615
BHPian

Got myself an iPhone 7 today due to wife's restrictions. I wanted the iPhone 8 though. Phone looks good and dependable. The first app I installed was team bhp and this post. Thank you all for bringing in your suggestions.

Anyone recommend updating to 11?
Old 6th November 2017, 08:18   #10616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I also did via Citibank, Airtel guy called in Morning and delivered a while back,
November 9 is the estimated delivery date for Bangalore, so I will have to wait for couple of more days. But then I was not keen on having hands on it on the release date and was more concerned about the 10K cashback offer which was valid only for Nov 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
When I purchased my iPhone 7 plus, i was eligible for a Rs 5000 cashback via Citibank Credit card. I hope there was mention of Citibank cash back in the payment receipt that you generated online.
The online payment receipt / tax invoice generated did not mention about the cashback nor the payment mode / Citibank credit card.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-iphonex.jpg  

Old 6th November 2017, 10:04   #10617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The online payment receipt / tax invoice generated did not mention about the cashback nor the payment mode / Citibank credit card.
Even I have got a similar bill but more than this, I have got an SMS this morning that my blin plan has changed to 2499 x24 .
Old 6th November 2017, 11:37   #10618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Even I have got a similar bill but more than this, I have got an SMS this morning that my blin plan has changed to 2499 x24 .
Did you buy it from Airtel under their contract/EMI plan?

If yes, the 2499 INR includes the 24 month contract EMI + calling plan (649/month).
Old 6th November 2017, 12:03   #10619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you buy it from Airtel under their contract/EMI plan?
NOPE, there are no Contract for Iphone X , must have been some mistake at their end. Made a call and got it settled, they have some infinity plans for Iphone, 799 got a data of 40 gb or so plus usual everything free. Just a waste of 15 minutes or so

Some initial observations, face ID works like a charm, there is virtually zero delay and you don't need to do anything, just pick the phone and it opens as long as the front camera can see your face, works with different angles and distances. I have a long beard and wear a turban but no issues whatsoever.

Quote:
My major concern with removal of Touch ID is what happens to banking apps which allowed access based on Touch ID? Does Face ID natively replace Touch ID in such apps or are we back to the good old days of entering and remembering passwords?
On few applications, it's working like Indus Ind but on another like Yes bank, it asks to enrol fingerprints.. so I don't have a positive answer yet.

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th November 2017 at 12:12.
Old 6th November 2017, 12:24   #10620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Had booked an iPhone X via the Reliance Jio + Citibank cashback offer. Got a message yesterday that the phone is sitting at the store and the Citibank credit card that I applied for is still not here yet.

With the Jio 70% cashback after 12 months and Citibank instant 10,000 cashback the phone would have cost me around Rs 1800 a month for a year.
Regarding the Jio 70% cash back offer- how does it happen? After an year, you get cash back in form of credit or gift vouchers?

Most Viewed