Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 18:54   #10831
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

^^^ Thanks. Will do it for future use.

For a phone that is supposed to be most user friendly, iphone sure has a lot of loops one has to jump to do primitive tasks.

Besides, I have got the best tips for this phone from team-bhp itself
Old 7th January 2018, 22:44   #10832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Are you able to manage one full day with a single charge? I am thinking to replace my battery as in the initial days, my battery used to last 1 full day for the same usage.
My battery lasts 3/4 of the day with similar usage and I do have to charge it in the car on my way back home from office. Its not a big inconvenience as of now so I have steered clear of a replacement or using a battery case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Yesterday, I made a video clip on my PC and wanted to share it using social media apps. Naturally, thought of using iphone. Here are my struggling steps <snip>
Agree that the iPhone has lost its ease of use compared to earlier times. Apple has fallen behind the curve in innovating the software side and user experience (apart from the hardware side).

But that aside, video formats do matter in the Apple world. If you create an MP4 video, moving that to the iPhone should be a breeze through iTunes.

Also the other factor is using iTunes on any platform than MacOS is a shitty experience.
Old 8th January 2018, 11:51   #10833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Rant post:

there is absolutely nothing that holds candle to the freedom of an android.
A few options to help you calm down

1) Connect whatsapp of your phone on your desktop and share directly.
2) Since I have been using iOs for almost 6 years and plan on using it for the next 6 and the whole family is on iOs, I have invested in a desktop + iphone app called iMazing. It makes itunes redundant and has the feature of copy paste to and from iOs.
iMazing also has a free version (if I remember correctly).
Old 8th January 2018, 13:03   #10834
Senior - BHPian

Need help in picking up a replacement for a 5s. I thought of buying the 8plus initially, later a possibility of friend travelling to US made me think of getting a X from US as its significantly cheaper there, but his trip's got cancelled for now.

I usually change phones once in 3 years, but i've been wondering if its a good idea to get the 8 and change it after 2 years as opposed to 3 ? It looks like most phones this year will adopt Face ID in place of Touch ID so not too sure if it's a good idea having a 8 plus three years from today when most apps will be optimised for Face ID.

I'm not considering the X since its simply overpriced here and once the novelty factor wears out, its just any other iPhone with a LED display being the only noticeable difference.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th January 2018 at 13:20.
Old 8th January 2018, 13:30   #10835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Need help in picking up a replacement for a 5s.
I recently replaced 5s with iPhone8 after using the former for almost 4 years. My 5s was bought from the US and had 4G support. But 4G never worked in India as the LTE bands here were not supported on that device. So please check the fine print before buying one from abroad.

Other point to consider is size: the 5s was a breeze to operate one-handed, iPhone8 is slightly cumbersome, iPhone8+ will be impossible. Go for 8+ only if you need to extra size or the dual lens camera, else stick to iPhone 8. Just my 2 cents.

- Prasad.
Old 8th January 2018, 14:25   #10836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Need help in picking up a replacement for a 5s. I thought of buying the 8plus initially, later a possibility of friend travelling to US made me think of getting a X from US as its significantly cheaper there, but his trip's got cancelled for now.

Me too doing a cost analysis for the 8+ 256 GB. It costs around 949 USD which is around Rs 62634, whereas if I buy in India, it comes to 78000 ( less 6500 paytm cashback).
If I buy it in India, I will purchase using my Company's GSTIN on company's name and would roughly get to use Rs 10000 in GST credit.
Net Net effect is no real saving + I can get points on my Credit card for swiping it for an online purchase in India.
Old 8th January 2018, 20:44   #10837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Go for 8+ only if you need to extra size or the dual lens camera, else stick to iPhone 8. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip, I think the X is better wrt to compatibility, but will check incase i' buying from there. I agree that 8+ is simply too large to use, especially for singe-handed usage but the added benefits, more RAM, HD screen, better battery all for approx 10k extra are making it hard to rule it out. The dual lens is useless to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Me too doing a cost analysis for the 8+ 256 GB.
Add tax at around 6% when buying from the US and if you can get a GST bill, its better to buy in India with the cashbacks and credit card spends.

PS: Tried watching a couple of videos on this topic and almost every youtuber says its sacrilege to buy 8/8+ when the X is available

Last edited by shashank.nk : 8th January 2018 at 21:02.
Old 9th January 2018, 03:48   #10838
Team-BHP Support

At this point, I would pick a non X iPhone JUST for the privilege of fingerprint unlock access if nothing else. To me losing that feature is virtually a deal breaker.
Old 9th January 2018, 06:39   #10839
Senior - BHPian

You won't miss it for a sec. X is a giant leap.
While driving, I just look and it unlocks. The 'home screen call' band at the bottom feels so natural, that I'm unable to use the 6S and 7 anymore. Will sell both now in Bangalore.
X is without doubt, leagues ahead. But yes, it's heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
At this point, I would pick a non X iPhone JUST for the privilege of fingerprint unlock access if nothing else. To me losing that feature is virtually a deal breaker.
Old 9th January 2018, 12:21   #10840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
....I will purchase using my Company's GSTIN on company's name and would roughly get to use Rs 10000 in GST credit.
Could you please elaborate that a bit ? I never used my company GSTIN for anything till now, if its useful, why not give a try ! I am presently on iPhone 7, not sure if I need an upgrade, even if I do, I am confused between 8 and X. I want to stick to under 5 inch screen for sure, may be another 10 years
Old 9th January 2018, 14:13   #10841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Could you please elaborate that a bit ? I never used my company GSTIN for anything till now, if its useful, why not give a try ! I am presently on iPhone 7, not sure if I need an upgrade, even if I do, I am confused between 8 and X. I want to stick to under 5 inch screen for sure, may be another 10 years
While buying, ask the shop to Invoice in the name of the company and use our company's GSTIN.(Online only PAYTM does this).
Hopefully we should be able to utilise the ITC for GST paid and uploaded by the seller. A Mobile phone can surely pass off as a company's asset being used by director/partner for work related purpose.
Old 10th January 2018, 10:35   #10842
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You won't miss it for a sec. X is a giant leap.
While driving, I just look and it unlocks.
X is without doubt, leagues ahead. But yes, it's heavier.
I moved from 6S to X on the day of launch and my experience is on the other side.
I miss finger print sensor badly at-least in one scenario while I'm driving. How do you relate placing a finger on phone button without taking your eyes from road to lifting a phone and bringing it to your face to be safer and easier?
Let me explain, I usually place my phone below the center console on both Vento / Ciaz (Ciaz have apple play so its easy there). While driving with Google maps every time I make / receive a call once disconnected phone gets into lock screen. Now on the move imagine unlocking the device to bring the google map up by just placing a finger on home button to picking the phone and swiping up in front of your face? Or am I missing something here.

Cheers!
Old 10th January 2018, 13:44   #10843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
I moved from 6S to X on the day of launch and my experience is on the other side.
I miss finger print sensor badly at-least in one scenario while I'm driving. How do you relate placing a finger on phone button without taking your eyes from road to lifting a phone and bringing it to your face to be safer and easier?
This is exactly one of my concerns. While driving, my phone is on a dock on the windshield on the right. Useful for maps and anything else too. I just place my finger to unlock when required without even looking there and I can't imagine facial recognition to be easier in such a situation.

Similarly, when I'm taking the phone out of my pocket to use, its already unlocked as I am taking it out before I am even facing the phone (I have programmed multiple fingers on both hands).

They may make facial recognition as neat as they can but I can't imagine there won't be many situations where fingerprint is at least as good and most likely superior.
Old 10th January 2018, 13:50   #10844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Quote:
This is exactly one of my concerns. While driving, my phone is on a dock on the windshield on the right. Useful for maps and anything else too. I just place my finger to unlock when required without even looking there and I can't imagine facial recognition to be easier in such a situation.
If you have the "require attention" toggle under the face id switched off, device will unlock by just tapping on the screen and as long as it is in front of your face. This will compromise the security of face id by one notch but works fine. Easier way is to keep the maps on before starting to drive and stay off the phone while driving and rely on hands free solutions
Old 10th January 2018, 14:50   #10845
Senior - BHPian

my wife's iPhone 6 has been acting strange lately. It switches off as soon as the battery reaches 20%, I have done an IOS 11.2 update yesterday, not sure that has fixed it.

The phone is still in warranty, Should I take it to the service center or is this some known issue/bug?

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks