Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 12:23   #10861
tud
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks. I have been putting it off. I just hope it does not do it automatically.
It won't.

Although I've seen iOS 10 auto downloading (approx 1 - 1.2GB) on my friend's phone last year when he was on iOS 9 and not keen on upgrading to iOS 10. It would still prompt him for his permission to install which he kept denying.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:32   #10862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. I have been putting it off. I just hope it does not do it automatically.
If your phone is being charged while connected to wifi, iOS updates will be downloaded automatically.

I've searched, I don't think there's an option to not allow automatic iOS downloads when the above two conditions are met.

It won't be automatically installed though.
Old 11th January 2018, 12:46   #10863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
11.2.2 has fixes for the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities affecting nearly all CPUs from AMD, Intel and ARM released in the past 15 years. Intel CPUs are the most affected.

I would upgrade to iOS 11 if I were you.

About the security content of iOS 11.2.2

For more about Spectre and Meltdown:

About speculative execution vulnerabilities in ARM-based and Intel CPUs

US CERT
Old 11th January 2018, 15:00   #10864
Team-BHP Support

This is interesting.

http://www.iclarified.com/64117/appl...rades-possible

Quote:
Apple is Currently Signing Various iOS 6 to iOS 10 Firmware Versions, Downgrades Possible!

Apple opened the signing window for various iOS 6 to iOS 10 firmware versions today. It's unclear why or how long this will last so users looking to downgrade should do so ASAP.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:32   #10865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

I would upgrade to iOS 11 if I were you.
I had two iPhone 7's. One of which (newer one) I upgraded to iOS 11. It sucked big time. The phone started getting stuck, apps behaving weirdly. Even mainstream apps like WhatsApp and Facebook started crashing. The phone had a non-OE display in it, and I attributed the same to it. All the while the older iPhone was on iOS 10 and running happily.

Now, I sold the newer iPhone and bought the iPhone 8 Plus. Things are same. The older iPhone 7 which is now 1 year and 3 months old is still better. To make things worse, the 8 plus is like a brick. A 10 plus minute phone call will make your hand hurt.

Here's a screenshot from the iPhone 8 plus, where the battery, network indicators at the top just disappeared for a few minutes. Lot more problems.. iOS 11 isnt working for me.

Name:  IMG_4145.PNG
Views: 835
Size:  1.09 MB
Old 11th January 2018, 16:48   #10866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Here's a screenshot from the iPhone 8 plus, where the battery, network indicators at the top just disappeared for a few minutes. Lot more problems.. iOS 11 isnt working for me.

Attachment 1715284
To me this looks like some old junk making the phone go crazy, if you have set it up from back up. Sometimes it is better to set up as new and sync all stuff back and not restore straight from back up. Little painful but worth a try.

EDIT: Check my previous post, if you want you can restore back to an older OS and see if that helps, maybe use the same OS as your iPhone 7.
Old 11th January 2018, 16:58   #10867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
To me this looks like some old junk making the phone go crazy,
I second this diagnose or it could be attributed to some rogue app. There should be no reason for the 8+ to hang or become slow except an old corrupted backup/restore causing it or some app messing the phone.
Old 11th January 2018, 17:42   #10868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had two iPhone 7's. One of which (newer one) I upgraded to iOS 11. It sucked big time. The phone started getting stuck, apps behaving weirdly. Even mainstream apps like WhatsApp and Facebook started crashing. The phone had a non-OE display in it, and I attributed the same to it. All the while the older iPhone was on iOS 10 and running happily.
I had the same issue and struggled for the past 2 months.

Then finally last week, I decided to format my phone(after backing it up) and then restore it from that backup.

Since then my phone is butter smooth. Feels like how an iphone should.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:32   #10869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Then finally last week, I decided to format my phone(after backing it up) and then restore it from that backup.
Yes this is the first thing you do, and if you want to make it more thorough, put the phone in DFU mode and restore, then put back the backup. If this does not work, then do what i had suggested.

Also check on battery statistics and see if any particular app is hogging power, usually whatsapp would be the topper these days with most people. Anything else apart from that, do check @dhanush
Old 11th January 2018, 18:38   #10870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As @Jaggu and @Nikhilb2008 have suggested I too think you need to do a backup followed by a reset via iTunes.

My 7+ 256 has never given me an issue (touch wood) in nearly 10 months of ownership right through the numerous OS updates and upgrades that Apple has been churning out regularly. Battery life is good (approx. 1.5 days with my use) and the wear is 0%. Compare that to my sparingly used 6 month old OP5 which had 95% capacity out of the box and now shows 94%. My 14 month old 1st gen Pixel XL has an extra long life battery which shows 0% wear. Of course I treat the batteries well and refrain from punishing them.

IMHO the main reason to upgrade is the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities have been patched in 11.2.2.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th January 2018 at 18:39.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:38   #10871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To me this looks like some old junk making the phone go crazy, if you have set it up from back up. Sometimes it is better to set up as new and sync all stuff back and not restore straight from back up. Little painful but worth a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post

Quote:
Yes this is the first thing you do, and if you want to make it more thorough, put the phone in DFU mode and restore, then put back the backup. If this does not work, then do what i had suggested.

Also check on battery statistics and see if any particular app is hogging power, usually whatsapp would be the topper these days with most people. Anything else apart from that, do check @dhanush
Quote:
As @Jaggu and @Nikhilb2008 have suggested I too think you need to do a backup followed by a reset via iTunes.
Let me try this. Thanks!

@R2D2. One more reason I like the 10 version is that, the call list fonts, and generally the interface seems good to me. Not a fan of the newer one.

Last edited by dhanushs : 11th January 2018 at 18:40.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:46   #10872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting.
I just downloaded 10.3.3 for my phone.

Quote:
@R2D2. One more reason I like the 10 version is that, the call list fonts, and generally the interface seems good to me. Not a fan of the newer one.
I can related to the UI being better. Those 5 segment/dot signal bars in V10 make it easier to judge network strength than the 4 bar one in 11.x.x. So I downloaded a copy of the 10.3.3 firmware just in case.
Old 11th January 2018, 18:49   #10873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So I downloaded a copy of the 10.3.3 firmware just in case.
If you keep it uninstalled it can become useless later, if apple decides to stop signing. Signing check happens when you restore the firmware, the last step when phone or itunes checks with apple server. So if you are installing, do it before apple revokes the certificates.
Old 11th January 2018, 19:08   #10874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you keep it uninstalled it can become useless later, if apple decides to stop signing. Signing check happens when you restore the firmware, the last step when phone or itunes checks with apple server. So if you are installing, do it before apple revokes the certificates.
Thanks for that tip. BTW the late model iPhones,7 6/7/8 and X sold in India are GSM or GSM + CDMA? I couldn't get confirmation.

EDIT: Got it at Apple's site after tracing the model #.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th January 2018 at 19:09.
Old 11th January 2018, 21:11   #10875
BHPian

I just found out that my iPhone 6s front camera is not working. When i switch from rear camera to front facing, i see a blur. I don't remember having used the front camera in the last 2-3 weeks and i that time i got my phone battery replaced at Apple Authorised centre and also updated to 11.2.2 a couple of days back. Not sure if this camera issue is due to any of the above changes and if it is a hardware or software issue. As suggested in some of the apple forums, i restarted the phone by pressing power + home buttons, but the problem persists. Wanted to check if any of you have faced a similar problem and if there are any know fixes before I take it to apple service. Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed