Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 07:26   #10891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
10days for parts arrival for a 2hrs job? Can't they store the spares given the current situation or even otherwise?
This is the reason I exited Apple and moved to Android. I had a ip6 plus and had Apple care. Apple stores in the US refused to replace my phone when I was having speaker issues claiming their systems showed my phone was a replaced one and should be in their inventory and not with me. When I pressed them they agreed but it took me three visits and finally they told me it would take one week to get a replacement. I ditched the exchange as I was returning to India and just sold my phone on my return.
Old 17th January 2018, 22:43   #10892
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Is the MTT Full Body Tempered Glass still the best screen protector out there for an iPhone 6s ? If not, what are the other alternatives. Mine has come off today.
I had been using a regular iphone case bought from some local mall for my iPhone. I found a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Case in my drawer which i had ordered almost 2yrs ago. Decided to put that on. It seemed a very tight fit & very soon slight bubbles started showing up on the screen(tempered glass). I guess i did not perhaps put the Spigen Ultra Hybrid case properly. While removing the case, the tempered glass came off.
Since a tempered glass is highly recommended in this thread, needed some help. I guess i will have go back to the old case which i was using since the past 2yrs.
Old 17th January 2018, 23:05   #10893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I guess i will have go back to the old case which i was using since the past 2yrs.
I use the Spigen Ultra Hybrid for my iPhone 6S as well, and never has it cause any problems whatsoever with the tempered glass.
How did you try putting it on, because it has enough margin for a tempered glass to be stuck to the screen without even interacting with the lip of the case.
Also, were you using a full edge to edge tempered glass or the normal one that doesn’t cover the screen completely?
Old 18th January 2018, 00:04   #10894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
This is the reason I exited Apple and moved to Android. I had a ip6 plus and had Apple care. Apple stores in the US refused to replace my phone when I was having speaker issues claiming their systems showed my phone was a replaced one and should be in their inventory and not with me. When I pressed them they agreed but it took me three visits and finally they told me it would take one week to get a replacement. I ditched the exchange as I was returning to India and just sold my phone on my return.

Samsung took a month to replace the screen on my S7 Edge, which developed a dead pixel within a couple of days post unboxing. This was after bombarding them with calls, escalating it to Samsung India, and constantly hitting them with tweets. Eventually some senior person got in touch with me, and got it resolved for me. My point being, such issues exist on both sides. Apple and Samsung are both huge manufacturers with the largest sales and support backup. Minor issues here and there do happen, but I dont think it is enough to turn me off a brand.
Id be worried if I didnt get support at all.
Old 18th January 2018, 11:02   #10895
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
How did you try putting it on, because it has enough margin for a tempered glass to be stuck to the screen without even interacting with the lip of the case.
Also, were you using a full edge to edge tempered glass or the normal one that doesn’t cover the screen completely?
Its a full body edge to edge tempered glass. While removing the Spigen case which took a bit of an effort, i accidentally i assume ripped off the tempered glass. Should i order the same MTT one again or is there any other better one available on Amazon?
Old 18th January 2018, 11:35   #10896
BHPian

Quote:
Should i order the same MTT one again or is there any other better one available on Amazon?
I too use a Ringke Hybrid case which is similar to Spigen Hybrid. As mentioned above, there is enough space between my Tempered glass and case edges.
I use the 60 Rupees tempered glass available from footpath vendors near Railway stations. Mine is from outside Star Mall next to Shivaji Mandir at Dadar. Lasts as much as a Scratchgard or any branded Protector.
Old 18th January 2018, 18:55   #10897
BHPian

Quote:
Its a full body edge to edge tempered glass. While removing the Spigen case which took a bit of an effort, i accidentally i assume ripped off the tempered glass. Should i order the same MTT one again or is there any other better one available on Amazon?
Just apply a pre-cut rear screen protector & a local tempered glass to the front, and with the Spigen Ultra Hybrid, you are good to go against any sorts of drops, scrapes, etc.
I’ve been using mine for almost two years now with the above mentioned setup, and my phone is in pristine condition even after all the abuse it’s been through.

P.S - Try not to remove the case too often, as the rubber part of it along the volume button is likely to deform due to the same.
Old 18th January 2018, 20:01   #10898
BHPian

My 2 year old iPhone 6S was part of the free battery replacement program. I was too lazy to take a backup and didn't bother getting the battery replaced when the recall was announced a year back.

My phone recently got to the point where it became unbearable and couldn't last the day without being plugged in 2-3 times. Finally, got around to having the battery replaced today. Dropped the phone off without a prior appointment and picked it up after 4 hours. Process was smooth, restored from the backup and as good as new. The battery was in stock and very impressed with Apple support to be honest. My thoughts of jumping ship and going back to Android have subsided for the time being.

Cheers,
Promit
Old 18th January 2018, 20:51   #10899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
My 2 year old iPhone 6S was part of the free battery replacement program. I was too lazy to take a backup and didn't bother getting the battery replaced when the recall was announced a year back.

My phone recently got to the point where it became unbearable and couldn't last the day without being plugged in 2-3 times. Finally, got around to having the battery replaced today. Dropped the phone off without a prior appointment and picked it up after 4 hours. Process was smooth, restored from the backup and as good as new. The battery was in stock and very impressed with Apple support to be honest. My thoughts of jumping ship and going back to Android have subsided for the time being.

Cheers,
Promit
That's reassuring. Please let us know the battery backup post replacement. My 6S is also eligible for the free replacement, which I contemplate redeeming. However, my battery backup seems normal till date.
Old 18th January 2018, 21:09   #10900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
That's reassuring. Please let us know the battery backup post replacement. My 6S is also eligible for the free replacement, which I contemplate redeeming. However, my battery backup seems normal till date.
How do we get to know if our phone’s on the list for battery replacement??
Old 19th January 2018, 06:33   #10901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
My battery backup seems noticeably much better. Will update back soon on whether it is hanging as much as it was before getting the new battery and putting Apple's performance in relation to battery claims to the test.

The free replacement is valid upto 3 years from the date of purchase. You can redeem it sometime later when your battery shows noticeable signs of getting weaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
How do we get to know if our phone’s on the list for battery replacement??
You will have to run your phone's serial number on this link to know if it is from the affected batch of phones. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ectedshutdown/

Last edited by promit : 19th January 2018 at 06:37.
Old 19th January 2018, 10:07   #10902
Team-BHP Support

I am thinking to change my iPhone 7 to either iPhone X or iPhone 8+. I was all for smaller size phones & hence was using 5S and 7, but sometimes, am not able to access my desktop and I am at leisure at some remote place, so browsing or reading something is a bonus on a bigger screen. Plus better battery life is an added advantage. Or Pixel 2/Note 8?
Old 19th January 2018, 10:25   #10903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am thinking to change my iPhone 7 to either iPhone X or iPhone 8+. I was all for smaller size phones & hence was using 5S and 7, but sometimes, am not able to access my desktop and I am at leisure at some remote place, so browsing or reading something is a bonus on a bigger screen. Plus better battery life is an added advantage. Or Pixel 2/Note 8?
I’ve been using the iPhone X for a month now & I find it much more comfortable to use when compared to the iPhone 8 Plus that my grandmother is using.
I too have moved from an iPhone 5S to an iPhone SE to an iPhone 7 because I’m all in for using smaller phones, so I can assure you that the X will be the one that you’ll be more comfortable using than the 8 Plus any day.

P.S - I’m getting stellar battery life using the Smart Invert feature on the iPhone X due to its AMOLED display.
Old 19th January 2018, 16:10   #10904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am thinking to change my iPhone 7 to either iPhone X or iPhone 8+. Or Pixel 2/Note 8?
I was in the same dilemma a few days ago, and finally decided to go for the X. From the Pixel 2 XL, Note 8 and finally the 8+ I was confused which one to get, narrowed my choice down to iOS and once that was done it was easy to decide on the X, despite its price.

I typically change phones around the 3 year mark so didn't want to be stuck with a old design after spending nearly 70k on a phone, also if you're ok with the 8+ the X is only 20k (not much over a 3 year period) or so more we get slightly better camera, brilliant OLED screen and more possibilities as Face ID becomes available on all iPhones starting this year.
Old 19th January 2018, 18:34   #10905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
You will have to run your phone's serial number on this link to know if it is from the affected batch of phones. https://www.apple.com/support/iphone...ectedshutdown/
This is not needed. As mentioned few pages back, all phones from iPhone 6 and up and eligible for battery replacement irrespective of the battery diagnostic test results and can be done till end of 2018.

Previous Post

Most Viewed