Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 11:36   #10966
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Need help with fellow Iphone users. My wife accidentally washed her Iphone in Washing machine for around 8-10 mins along with bedsheet. When she realised, she took it out, removed the SIM & as I suggested earlier to her, submerged her phone in a bag of rice. After a day we took it out & tried charging it to see if it works, no luck. Any other tips/tricks which we can try before taking it to service center
I am afraid none of this is going to work; I had similar experience with my wife's iPhone 6 couple of years back (not washing machine, but just got dropped in water) and its now lying somewhere as a paper-weight. I took it to 3rd party service centers and they recommended not to repair it.
Old 5th February 2018, 11:57   #10967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am afraid none of this is going to work; I had similar experience with my wife's iPhone 6 couple of years back (not washing machine, but just got dropped in water) and its now lying somewhere as a paper-weight. I took it to 3rd party service centers and they recommended not to repair it.
Thanks for a quick update, will give a try with the official apple service center & get a quote for repair. If it is turning out to be costly, will use it as show piece
Old 5th February 2018, 12:03   #10968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Thanks for a quick update, will give a try with the official apple service center
Most probably they will ask for 19-21000 and replace it with a new iPhone 6. Ideally, if you had a chance and had taken it to a service centre ( aftermarket), who could have opened it immediately and blow dried away the innards, there was some hope, but 8 minutes is just too long for salvage. Even if it does come to life, it will slowly and steadily die.
Old 5th February 2018, 13:54   #10969
Team-BHP Support

Prices hiked, courtesy the Budget.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/slideshow...iweb_hptopnews
Old 5th February 2018, 14:46   #10970
BHPian

Ouch. That was bound to happen. It remains to be seen, how much is absorbed by retailers and what is passed on to hapless buyers like us.
Old 16th February 2018, 08:05   #10971
Team-BHP Support

The battery life on my three-year old 6 is awful now. With my use (checking Instagram, WhatsApp regularly), the battery drains off within 6-9 hours. In 24 hours, I need to charge about twice.

I plan to call the iStore today and check if they will offer a battery replacement at the reduced price.

If they do, is it worth getting it changed? Any ill effects? My phone, otherwise, works brilliantly so there's no real need to change. I do keep getting the urge to get the X whenever I know someone returning from the US but have successfully resisted it.

Also, considering my phone is 64 GB and I barely use 10 of it, it is not even like a space restriction will compel me to change.
Old 16th February 2018, 09:21   #10972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The battery life on my three-year old 6 is awful now. With my use (checking Instagram, WhatsApp regularly), the battery drains off within 6-9 hours. In 24 hours, I need to charge about twice.

I plan to call the iStore today and check if they will offer a battery replacement at the reduced price.

If they do, is it worth getting it changed? Any ill effects? My phone, otherwise, works brilliantly so there's no real need to change. I do keep getting the urge to get the X whenever I know someone returning from the US but have successfully resisted it.

Also, considering my phone is 64 GB and I barely use 10 of it, it is not even like a space restriction will compel me to change.
Once the iOS 11.3 update comes up, I suggest taking a look at the new battery health feature. It will give you a clear picture if you need to change it.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:58   #10973
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Once the iOS 11.3 update comes up, I suggest taking a look at the new battery health feature. It will give you a clear picture if you need to change it.
Just spoke with the Apple guys. They will diagnose the phone and if they find the battery to be affected, will order a replacement. That'll take 30-40 days and 2k.

Which works out well. If with 2k, I can prolong the usable life of my phone by even a year, I'm more than happy.

As much as I would love a new phone, I don't have the need for it (especially given the prices!).
Old 16th February 2018, 11:06   #10974
BHPian

Quote:
Just spoke with the Apple guys. They will diagnose the phone and if they find the battery to be affected, will order a replacement.
Let me know how that goes. I'm in a similar state of affairs on my SE with twice a day plugging (medium WhatsApp / Instagram usage). However, I was of the assumption iStores would have batteries in stock even for 2k replacement throughout this year.

On your phone upgrade part, I think it has also something to do with how much of new iOS upgrade features are you interested to use. In the long term, I doubt Apple might extend iOS 12 support for the SE and 6 models.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 16th February 2018, 11:13   #10975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
However, I was of the assumption iStores would have batteries in stock even for 2k replacement throughout this year.
Apparently they don't have stock and only order batteries based on IMEI of the affected phone.

Quote:
On your phone upgrade part, I think it has also something to do with how much of new iOS upgrade features are you interested to use. In the long term, I doubt Apple might extend iOS 12 support for the SE and 6 models.
Honestly, since the 6, I haven't come across any ground-breaking hardware enhancements that I desperately want. Only exception being the brilliant Portrait mode, but then I doubt I want the large + phones. Force-touch, I don't see as a big value add.

Considering 11 was most likely the last update for 5s, 12 might be the last for 6.

Anyway, chunk of the software updates have very little for 6 considering it doesn't have the hardware necessary.

I'm inclined to flog this phone for at least a year, if not two.
Old 16th February 2018, 11:27   #10976
BHPian

Hii folks back home after 6 months at sea and now finally able to login into team BHP. After few days of joining ship my iPhone 6 plus screen started flickering. Initially ignored it but then the touch started acting up was struggling to find out what was wrong with the phone . Finally got some internet access a few days later and came to know about an issue in the 6Plus called touch disease. Used a spare phone for the last few months and finally after getting back home yesterday have given the device to service centre under the iPhone 6 plus multi touch repair program. I have paid 14k for display renewal and will have to wait for a week till i get my device back.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/

Anyone else here face the problem with the 6 plus
Old 16th February 2018, 12:00   #10977
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently they don't have stock and only order batteries based on IMEI of the affected phone.
This is strange. Apple had declared that anyone wanting to change was welcome to do so at the reduced cost.
When you do go for the change, do check on this and let us know too. I am planning to wait till September-October and then change my 6S's battery. Currently use a battery pack whenever I am out of office.

As suggested by bhp_maniac, 11.3 will inform battery health status and should give you a clearer picture on the actual health of your battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I have paid 14k for display renewal and will have to wait for a week till i get my device back.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-multitouch/
USD 149 is cheaper than INR 14000. You should have sailed to US and got it done there.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 16th February 2018 at 12:20.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:09   #10978
BHPian

Same problem here, my 3 year old iPhone 6 needs to be charged thrice daily (twice if I don’t use much of LTE). iPhones in general have the worst battery life. Also my phone sometimes switches off even with 30% battery remaining which is very frustrating. Hope my phone qualifies for a battery replacement. I’m on iOS 11.2 if that helps.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:41   #10979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Also my phone sometimes switches off even with 30% battery remaining which is very frustrating
Clear indication of battery on it's way out, replace it and you should be fine. If your phone is un-tampered, it would be covered under subsidized replacement.
Old 18th February 2018, 00:02   #10980
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys need some help, my sister dropped her 7 plus and the display cracked due to the impact. It happened around 8 pm today so couldn't call many authorised service centres, howeever dropped into one near my home and he quoted a ball park figure of 25k to replace it.

I got in touch with iService and they were ready to replace the screen for approx 12k, I'll be calling other authrised apple service centres tomorrow.

However, I wanted to know if there's any harm in going with iService, it costs significantly lower and they say its close to original. Phone is only 4 months old so if need be can get a genuine replacement done since she plans on keeping it for another 3 years atleast, but just wanted to know if third party options have cons other than a slightly inferior display.

Most Viewed