Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2018, 15:45   #10996
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Thanks! How are you finding them? Do you use them a lot? Is the audio quality better compared to your normal Apple earphones?
Ya using them daily at least for 1-2hours. They are very comfortable, few times i actually forgot that i had them on. Sound quality is slightly better than earpods, not much of a difference. Also very convenient to use with small case and good battery life.
Old 27th February 2018, 16:30   #10997
BHPian

I have been facing a weird issue with my iPhone 7 for a couple of months now.

No matter what, my phone will not connect to a 4G network. It connects to 3G pretty well however, even if I select 4G in the Voice and Data Settings, it resets the network and gets back to a 3G network. Has anyone faced similar issues?

Also recently, I tested the camera performance of my iPhone 7 with another iPhone 7 and I was shocked to note that there was significant difference in the picture quality. Both the iPhones were running the latest version of iOS. I had got my iPhone replaced sometime last year and now I am wondering whether replacement iPhones are indeed new or whether they are refurbished.

All of this has been pushing me to get the iPhone X. The X is apparently available with an INR 12,000 cashback.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 27th February 2018 at 16:44.
Old 27th February 2018, 16:36   #10998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I distinctly remember this was not the case when I got the phone in October 16. Has anyone faced similar issues?
Have you checked your sim and connection in another phone? Happened to me once when the great Airtel network messed up my plan and made it 3G when i opted for enhancing the data limit.

Quote:
Also recently, I tested the camera performance of my iPhone 7 with another iPhone 7 and I was shocked to note that there was significant difference in the pictures.
Hope you have ruled out any finger print smudges on the lens?

Quote:
All of this has been pushing me to get the iPhone X. The X is apparently available with an INR 12,000 cashback.
Depends on how much is the effective price, after discounts, exchanges Vs your need for a new device with better hardware and performance
Old 27th February 2018, 18:56   #10999
Senior - BHPian

So got the Iphone 7 plus screen fixed for 18,500 from Maple Centre on Kamaraj Road, its easy to miss as its on the first floor and the road is quite busy, good thing is its right opposite Westside and one can park your 2/4 wheeler there.

The phone was returned within 3 working days and staff courteous and professional. Interestingly, they quoted only 16k odd for the 8 plus' screen replacement whereas the X costs 27k to replace.

He recommended we buy insurance which costs 6k or so in which case we would've spent 6k on the premium plus 20% of screen replacement cost which works out to approx 10k in total. I wasn't convinced with insurance considering how tough it is to get claims on two-wheelers and cars approved, so decided to skip it for now. Has anyone had a pleasant experience with insurance claim for damaged phones?
Old 28th February 2018, 07:45   #11000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had got my iPhone replaced sometime last year and now I am wondering whether replacement iPhones are indeed new or whether they are refurbished.
Replacement iPhones from an authorized center are indeed refurbished devices, but these come from the factory, and not locally done.
Old 28th February 2018, 12:25   #11001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you checked your sim and connection in another phone? Happened to me once when the great Airtel network messed up my plan and made it 3G when i opted for enhancing the data limit.
Thanks Jaggu,

I will be checking with Vodafone as well, however I checked my plan details and it says 4G. Will try visiting the Vodafone store nonetheless.

Quote:
Hope you have ruled out any finger print smudges on the lens?
Yes I did. Infact, after the difference in picture quality was apparent, I wiped the lens with a microfiber cloth and tried again only to have the same result. The two apparent issues were (1) the other iPhone had a wider lens; and (2) the image quality (detail in pictures) was a lot more in the other iPhone.

Quote:
Depends on how much is the effective price, after discounts, exchanges Vs your need for a new device with better hardware and performance
So I did some math, the X 64GB variant is retailing for 89K (apparently the price has now gone upto 92k), with a cashback of 12K (-) 3K(interest on a 6 month EMI, this cashback is only available on EMI), it works out to be 80K. Worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Replacement iPhones from an authorized center are indeed refurbished devices, but these come from the factory, and not locally done.
Thanks Benbsb,

This is quite shocking since I distinctly remember reading earlier that Apple was not allowed to sell refurbished phones in India. However, there is as argument to be made that replacing a phone does not really constitute as a "sale". Will check up on this.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 28th February 2018 at 12:31.
Old 28th February 2018, 12:51   #11002
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Hi guys, planning to upgrade from my iPhone 7 to the X. What would the best price be for the 64GB version?
Currently I think it is cheapest on Paytm at ~85k with 6k cashback. Can I get it for cheaper somewhere else?
Old 28th February 2018, 13:04   #11003
BHPian

Quote:
This is quite shocking since I distinctly remember reading earlier that Apple was not allowed to sell refurbished phones in India. However, there is as argument to be made that replacing a phone does not really constitute as a "sale". Will check up on this.
As far as I know, import of refurbished phones is banned, so the question of replacing them with refurbished phones is ruled out. And again as far as I know, apple doesn't refurbish in India.
So the chances of getting a refurbishment in India is next to impossible.

With regards to comparing pictures of 2 iP7's, did you check the output on a computer? The screens on both the phones may be set up different. Just a thought.

Last edited by ampere : 1st March 2018 at 09:14. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 28th February 2018, 14:07   #11004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Hi guys, planning to upgrade from my iPhone 7 to the X. What would the best price be for the 64GB version?
Currently I think it is cheapest on Paytm at ~85k with 6k cashback. Can I get it for cheaper somewhere else?
I think the current Flipkart Apple Sale has the 64 GB X available at ₹82999. Check it out for availability.
Old 28th February 2018, 14:23   #11005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
T
Yes I did. Infact, after the difference in picture quality was apparent, I wiped the lens with a microfiber cloth and tried again only to have the same result. The two apparent issues were (1) the other iPhone had a wider lens; and (2) the image quality (detail in pictures) was a lot more in the other iPhone.
================
So I did some math, the X 64GB variant is retailing for 89K (apparently the price has now gone upto 92k), with a cashback of 12K (-) 3K(interest on a 6 month EMI, this cashback is only available on EMI), it works out to be 80K. Worth it?
Strange phenomenon with camera, only thing that comes to mine is if a factory reset helps.

Compared to 7, X has lot many features and processing power so it is marketed as premium. But the 8 is equally competent product minus face id and screen size. So you can consider the same if you do not want to spent so much. I think Flipkart is currently having a sale for apple products, so do check and make the decision.
Old 1st March 2018, 04:19   #11006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Benbsb,

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
As far as I know, import of refurbished phones is banned, so the question of replacing them with refurbished phones is ruled out. And again as far as I know, apple doesn't refurbish in India.
Apologies if i caused any confusion, as my info was based on Apple's replacement policy here in Australia.

If the device is replaced at an Apple authorized service center within a year of purchase, the device is to be replaced with a brand new device, IIRC. This was not the case earlier, but was brought in after people started complaining to the ACCC which is the consumer rights forum in Australia. If outside this period, the replacement device is indeed a refurbished device, but is never called so, rather referred to as a replacement device or 'factory reassembled' device, if probed further.

I worked in Apple Care Australia for some time, and this communication was part of the guidelines we were provided with when answering customer queries with regards to product replacement.

Based on your points it is possible that the policy in India may be different. However, the skeptic in me says it cant be so. Happy to be proved wrong, if this is not the case.
Old 1st March 2018, 08:40   #11007
BHPian

Quote:

Apple does provide refurbished phones for under warranty phones. My friend's IPhone 5s used to switch on and off on its own at times. He showed to the Pune Apple service station. They sent it to Bangalore for diagnosis and after 3-4 days came to the conclusion that it needs to be replaced. My friend was then called and told that he is will get a the replacements phone. He got it but it was refurbished.

How to check whether the iphone is Apple ? Just check the model number of the IPhone (Settings > About) . If it starts with M it's a genuinely new phone and if it starts with N then it's a refurbished one.
Old 1st March 2018, 08:50   #11008
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Apologies if i caused any confusion, as my info was based on Apple's replacement policy here in Australia.

If the device is replaced at an Apple authorized service center within a year of purchase, the device is to be replaced with a brand new device, IIRC. This was not the case earlier, but was brought in after people started complaining to the ACCC which is the consumer rights forum in Australia. If outside this period, the replacement device is indeed a refurbished device, but is never called so, rather referred to as a replacement device or 'factory reassembled' device, if probed further.
Quote:
As far as I know, import of refurbished phones is banned, so the question of replacing them with refurbished phones is ruled out
Quote:
I believe the iphone refurbished phone sale ban/non-sale was on selling of such phones through the distribution network and partners. Till date (leaving aside individuals selling on Olx/Quikr/etc) none of the apple partners offer the choice of buying refurbished phones with limited/time-bound/no warranty options; unlike the US and other markets.

As for Apple offering refurbished products to customers as replacements; that's a technicality the company would have well addressed in-line with the regulations. For e.g. they can give the excuse that the refurbished phone was a brand new phone given to a different customer, returned with some issue, repaired locally and given out to a new customer as a replacement.
Old 1st March 2018, 09:18   #11009
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I believe the iphone refurbished phone sale ban/non-sale was on selling of such phones through the distribution network and partners. Till date (leaving aside individuals selling on Olx/Quikr/etc) none of the apple partners offer the choice of buying refurbished phones with limited/time-bound/no warranty options; unlike the US and other markets.

As for Apple offering refurbished products to customers as replacements; that's a technicality the company would have well addressed in-line with the regulations. For e.g. they can give the excuse that the refurbished phone was a brand new phone given to a different customer, returned with some issue, repaired locally and given out to a new customer as a replacement.
Thanks Ninja. So, I suppose i am right in my assumption that Apple follows a similar replacement policy in India as well. Think of it, there is no way every phone is going to be deassembled and a new created for some small issue. So refurbished is definitely the approach.
Old 1st March 2018, 12:46   #11010
Team-BHP Support

Amazon India does have certified refurbished iPhones listed with 6 month warranty.

Most Viewed