Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 23:31   #11401
BANNED

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Has anyone bought the new XS or XS Max and tried the E-Sim? Airtel and Jio are supposed to be the only operators with e-sim capability?
The functionality isn't rolled out yet. Will start with the 12.1 iOS update
Old 17th October 2018, 17:43   #11402
Team-BHP Support

iPhone X and conked 3D touch

So my 11 month old iPhone X suddenly stopped the 3D Touch functionality. Well cared and cased unit, with not even a single ding on it! 3D touch function works if I use the soft key on accessibility shortcut, but physical input somehow does not trigger. Disable 3D Touch and the torch and camera on lock screen works, but once enabled it just won't give the haptic feedback nor work.

Tried doing following on my own: Hard reboot > Reset > DFU restore, still problem remained. All these are suggestions from internet.

Contacted apple service yesterday, they did a remote diagnostic and everything seems to be fine as per report. Then they fixed an appointment with service showroom today, and showroom has taken the device in (after trying a clean restore and setting it up as a new phone), to send to apple. Suspects it is a hardware issue and most likely screen would need replacement. I am ok with it since this is covered under warranty for another month! 90 days warranty for screen post repair as I understand and this time around maybe I should take 1 year apple care too.

Now my worry is for the device integrity after service. Since iPhone X is water and dust proof. Will this repair compromise it?

Terribly disappointed with apple, after paying big moolah for a premium device, second time issues happening in recent past. Have been using iPhone since model 3G and apple hardware used to easily live 3-4 years earlier. Last time the iPhone 7 started showing battery issue just under a year, though the remote diagnostic said battery was in good condition and with minimal cycle. Issue sprang up again and it was out of warranty, this is when I upgraded to X.

Old 17th October 2018, 17:47   #11403
BANNED

Re: iPhone X and conked 3D touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Contacted apple service yesterday, they did a remote diagnostic and everything seems to be fine as per report. Then they fixed an appointment with service showroom today, and showroom has taken the device in (after trying a clean restore and setting it up as a new phone), to send to apple. Suspects it is a hardware issue and most likely screen would need replacement. I am ok with it since this is covered under warranty for another month! 90 days warranty for screen post repair as I understand and this time around maybe I should take 1 year apple care too.

Now my worry is for the device integrity after service. Since iPhone X is water and dust proof. Will this repair compromise it?

X.

My unanimous advice, just get Apple care extended warranty. India still has it for around 4-5K which is nothing as compared to the possible repair costs associated with a phone like the X.

The water resistance will not be changed. They have to do a water test before handing the device back to you. Rest assured.
Old 17th October 2018, 17:53   #11404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
My unanimous advice, just get Apple care extended warranty.
===
The water resistance will not be changed. They have to do a water test before handing the device back to you. Rest assured.
Yes I plan to get the apple care.

Test part is reassuring to know. Thanks...

EDIT: Did some reading up, apparently the seal is also replaced along with screen repair. Since it is being done directly by apple they would do this by default.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th October 2018 at 18:20.
Old 18th October 2018, 16:46   #11405
BHPian

Guys loving the iPhone X to each bit. Especially the Face ID and gorgeous screen. During the initial setup I failed to move data from Android (esp. SMS). I was under a notion that SMS Organizer would be available for iOS and I can restore from Google Drive. Unfortunately that wasnt the case and i am now stuck. Same case with WhatsApp too. I can still get my old SMS back, but provided I reset all settings, but do not want to do that since the phone is all setup with its app/login/data.

Tried some freeware and paidwares, but nothing seems to work in getting my SMS and WhatsApp. Any leads ?
Old 18th October 2018, 17:35   #11406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Tried some freeware and paidwares, but nothing seems to work in getting my SMS and WhatsApp. Any leads ?
I don't think there is a straight forward solution for doing this the simple way. As of today, iOS doesn't allow third party apps to access SMS citing security / privacy reasons.
Old 19th October 2018, 03:20   #11407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do not worry. The integrity wont be compromised. They have a pretty comprehensive repair policy. If they think that it will be compromised, they will give you a new phone.

Infact I have a feeling that they will give you a new phone rather than repair it.

Quote:
Terribly disappointed with apple, after paying big moolah for a premium device, second time issues happening in recent past. Have been using iPhone since model 3G and apple hardware used to easily live 3-4 years earlier. Last time the iPhone 7 started showing battery issue just under a year, though the remote diagnostic said battery was in good condition and with minimal cycle. Issue sprang up again and it was out of warranty, this is when I upgraded to X.

Its a highly advanced electronic gadget and things can go wrong sometimes. Apple support is still second to none. Just calm down and let Apple handle this.
Old 21st October 2018, 07:46   #11408
Senior - BHPian

XR bookings are being taken by a lot of stores. 2 things that are a big let down, one, there is no big scheme or offer on launch, except for the Citibank 5% cash back and that too only if you opt for EMIs, and hence the cash back will be negated by the interest. And secondly Jio and even airtel for that matter have yet to launch the E-Sim for the new iPhones!
Old 22nd October 2018, 16:15   #11409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I don't think there is a straight forward solution for doing this the simple way. As of today, iOS doesn't allow third party apps to access SMS citing security / privacy reasons.
Seems to be a major deterrent when switching b/w Android to iOS.
Why isnt WhatsApp offering any straightforward solutions ?
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:44   #11410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bug for us, feature for them.

Nobody retains customers by making it easy to move away, do they?
Old 24th October 2018, 10:57   #11411
BHPian

Quote:

Any luck in this? I am planning to move to iphone too. Just contemplating and waiting only because of this. i have tons of whatsapp chat, that i dont want to lose. I did explore other android phones, but with privacy and data breaches happening, i feel iphones are more secure.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:33   #11412
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
+1

Don't believe there is - did a lot of searching last year when I got S8; couldn't find a working solution. Finally had to dump what I had on the iPhone and resort to a fresh start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Any luck in this? I am planning to move to iphone too. Just contemplating and waiting only because of this. i have tons of whatsapp chat, that i dont want to lose.
Quote:
Make sure your contacts are uploaded to google contacts. That's one transition area that is still working so you'll only lose the recent conversations, not the contacts.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:05   #11413
BHPian

Quote:
Did you use the Move to iOS app from Apple in the Google Playstore? Here is the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pple.movetoios

Last I used it for my mother's move from Android to iOS, it worked like a charm and moved all data including messages.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:21   #11414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Did you use the Move to iOS app from Apple in the Google Playstore? Here is the link:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pple.movetoios

Last I used it for my mother's move from Android to iOS, it worked like a charm and moved all data including messages.

I second that opinion, when it comes to iOS the best bet is to use Apple's tools rather than hunting for third party options.
Old 24th October 2018, 12:25   #11415
BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be a major deterrent when switching b/w Android to iOS. Why isnt WhatsApp offering any straightforward solutions ?
Whatsapp has a very good solution of backup and restore on iOS. Not sure if its the same on Android. If they use the same backup file format, you can try copying the backup file on to your icloud drive and restoring it from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks