Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2019, 19:17   #12046
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
A mobile phone costing as much as a 150 cc bike in India? I don't understand how people see value in this. And these are the same ones blaming govt for high taxes.
Bajaj Pulsar is a 150cc as is the Yamaha MT-15 .

Not all purchases are made on 'value for money' basis. Some people save up and buy it because it is a lifestyle product that they aspire to own. Some people buy it because they can afford it easily. Even flagship android phones are as expensive. People still buy it while you and I can make do with 80% of the functionality with a budget Redmi for 1/10th the price. Sometimes, the law of diminishing returns is not a deterrent when you desire to own a product. As long as there are buyers willing to pay, there will be sellers willing to sell.
Old 14th September 2019, 20:32   #12047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
My office junior has a Xr. And I must say, the screen is dismissal to say the least. Lacks sharpness and we all know how the blacks look on LCD. And the difference in quality is easily noticeable in comparisons.

One can give other points that work in favor of the Xr, but its screen is not one of them.

Have a look at this video.
Old 14th September 2019, 21:13   #12048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, Very sure that it has slowed down. Will delete most stuff I dont need, that should speed things up. iOS 13 launches on Sep 19. Unless you are referring to the BETA
Interesting, am yet to face anything. Gonna wait for 2020 iPhones anyway so will have to manage.
Yeah, I was talking about beta. Can be done via iTunes. Will advise to stay away though.
Old 14th September 2019, 23:35   #12049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post

Have a look at this video.
I am sure you know better than believing these random youtube videos uploaded by people like you and I.

I would stick to what I see everyday and maintain that the Xr, when it comes to screen quality is right down there.
Old 15th September 2019, 00:03   #12050
BHPian

I was an apple fan, currently using iphone 7, apple watch 4 and an Ipad air. Pretty much trapped in the ecosystem. Was planning to update my iphone with new ones this year, but The launch of new iphones were totally disappointing. Nothing really new except for an additional wide angle camera. No change in the old boring designs. I don’t really see a 1 Lac phone as VFM by anymeans, especially for the fact that it will be outdated in 2 years time. I might consider getting an XR.

Last edited by rapid_fire : 15th September 2019 at 00:08. Reason: Error
Old 15th September 2019, 00:07   #12051
BHPian

Me and my wife are big time Apple lover and have used almost all their products since 2011, iPhone - 3G, 4G, 5, 5S, 6 Plus, 8 Plus, X, New iPad, iPod and MacBook. Based on my experience over the years, I can safey say that Apple always gives incremental changes specially in iPhones and design changes happen mostly in 2-3 years. iPhone 4 & 4S was the same in design, so were - 5, 5S & 5C | 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus and all the subsequent X series phone till X1 Pro Max. Hope to see all-new design iPhone in 2020.
Old 15th September 2019, 00:31   #12052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you know better than believing these random Youtube videos uploaded by people like you and I.

I would stick to what I see everyday and maintain that the Xr, when it comes to screen quality is right down there.
Sure, but in this particular video, they did a blind test which is really good to negate the prejudices and biases one might have hence I shared it.
Old 15th September 2019, 06:54   #12053
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Had bought my iPhone 6s 64gb from Dubai back in 2016 for around 47k (after converting from AED). The difference was around 12-15k compared to prices in India (not including online deals)!

Was planning to buy the XR sometime next year. I guess looking at the reduced prices, it wouldn't make sense to buy it from abroad, would it? I read somewhere that the XR is assembled in India & that seems to be the only affordable option!
If you are sourcing it from UAE you will lose out on FaceTime.
Old 15th September 2019, 17:52   #12054
BHPian

I've used an iPhone 5s for almost 2.5 years, the phone was still good apart from the battery till 2018. And I would have sticked with the same, but it fell from my hand and the screen shattered. I wasn't willing to pay 9k for original screen replacement, so I got an Android due to budget constraints back then.

I've been using a Redmi Note 5 Pro since a year, and I personally am not at all comfortable with this. This one is filled with bloatwares and the weather app asks for access to Contacts, which makes me laugh. The storage space in iPhone 5s(32gb) took a year and half to get full even when I used to click tons of pictures, whereas the storage in Redmi Note 5 pro(64gb) got full within just 7-8 months even when I don't click much pictures due to the crap camera. When connected to the desktop/laptop via usb, the iPhone used to show just the relevant folders in the phone storage which you need. Whereas in the android, there are lot of unnecessary folders.

The only thing I love about the Android is it's battery backup even after a year. It lasts for 2 days with normal usage. Nevertheless, my journey with android is soon going to end. Will be getting the iPhone 11 sometime during Diwali. I was waiting for the XR's price to go down, but after the price reveal of iPhone 11, I'm in for it. Sure, I'm not a fan of the design as of now, but I can't wait to get back to the simple and clean user interface of iOS.

Not saying that iOS is superior than Android and also I've used an entry level android this time, high end Androids might be different. But it didn't work for me personally. I've used a Samsung Galaxy S4, it was a flagship back in the time. My experience was not good with that one too, whereas the iPhone 5s was outdated when I bought it in 2016, even then it served me flawlessly till the time I had it.

Last edited by Swapnil_Alto : 15th September 2019 at 18:01. Reason: Adding text
Old 15th September 2019, 18:33   #12055
Senior - BHPian

If you want one with Facetime, you'll get that too. Just not from the Apple store. Try the shops along Dubai Creek, or Deira. They're US pieces (imports with warranty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
If you are sourcing it from UAE you will lose out on FaceTime.
Old 15th September 2019, 19:21   #12056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes I guess that is similar one, you can just message the seller to be sure. The one I bought, right now is not listed.

I bought one from amazon and the seller name is Anik EAP. My iPhone XR warranty is now extended till 2021. Initially I was excited about Iphone 11 because of the price . However apart from additional camera , night mode which I have very less use. Hence decide to stick with XR which is a great device for at least another 2 years .
Old 16th September 2019, 11:47   #12057
BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you know better than believing these random Youtube videos uploaded by people like you and I.

I too would shy away from believing such random youtube videos, and would instead rely on trusted reviewers.

GSMARENA:
Quote:
We ran our brightness test and got precisely 700nits out of the iPhone XR - mightily impressive

We also measured the color accuracy and we're happy to report the XR's LCD is one super accurate LCD.

The display has outstanding color performance

The screen also has excellent viewing angles as expected from an IPS LCD. It also gets extremely bright and is perfectly visible outdoors under sunlight.

For the record, 326PPI is adequately sharp for most users as it's already pushing past most people's visual acuity. Text, in particular, looks perfectly sharp on the iPhone XR display.
ANANDTECH:
Quote:
In terms of the fundamentals of the LCD in the iPhone XR, Apple continues to employ some of the best panels in the industry, and the iPhone XR is no exception to this. Brightness, contrast ratio (for an LCD), viewing angles, and colour calibration are all top-notch and will not disappoint.
NOTEBOOKCHECK:
Quote:
bright and colour accurate display
TOMS GUIDE:
Quote:
Big, bright and colorful LCD
TECHRADAR:
Quote:
The overall screen quality, as ever with an iPhone, is excellent, and the new 6.1-inch Liquid Retina LCD technology does a good job of delivering sharp lines and punchy colors.
Old 16th September 2019, 12:01   #12058
BHPian

Quote:

Jonathan Morrison (the person who uploaded the video) is a well known name in the tech domain (albeit an Apple follower).

The XR screen is an excellent LCD and is better than most touted OLED screens on cheaper phones. However, the screen does not hold candle to displays of flagship phones of most manufacturer - well, the XR was never trying to be a flagship phone. But in terms of brightness, colour accuracy, viewing angles you will not find better LCD (over even cheaper OLED) screens in the market.

I will however, as you rightly say, not put down my hard earned money for the XR's or the 11's screen.
Old 16th September 2019, 13:05   #12059
Senior - BHPian

@feluda86 ~ An apple fanboy will not convince me with his youtube video on the screen quality of Xr.

I maintain that the screen on this phone is a joke for the price it commands.
Old 16th September 2019, 13:51   #12060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Yeah, I was talking about beta. Can be done via iTunes. Will advise to stay away though.
It is the Golden Master version of iOs 13.0, that is available online for everyone unofficially.This same built will be available for everyone on Sept 19 OTA and it is the same that has been loaded on the new 11's.
Public Beta & Developers are on 13.1 ( Maybe version 2 or 3 by now). 13.1 will be available 2 weeks after 13.0 is made publicly available.
I have no stability issues on the 13.0 GM that I am using since last few days. Mail seems buggy, but no speed or battery issues on my 7. Don't have a watch paired with this phone though.

Quote:
A mobile phone costing as much as a 150 cc bike in India? I don't understand how people see value in this. And these are the same ones blaming govt for high taxes.
. To put it simply, the Marginal Utility of such products doesn't diminish for users, hence people see value in it.

Tip: If you buy a handcart + pay a puller his salary, you will save money on running costs vis-a-vis a 150 cc bike. Less Carbon footprint + employement opportunity for the puller.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks