Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2019, 16:01   #12061
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
I have never been an Apple fan. I always found them overpriced for the value they offer. In phones, I feel Iphone 6 onward the phones are grossly overpriced for what they are. I fail to understand why even in 2019 Apple still is selling phones with a LCD screen and a ugly large notch, when even 20k phones these days come with Super AMOLED screen and a full screen display. From the specs, I guess there is nothing apart from brand pull that will make people buy this phone.
This is absolutely fact Ishan, that the iPhones are grossly overpriced for what they offer.

However buying a phone is like getting ice-cream, each person will prefer a different flavor - and hence some may feel the price justifiable while some may not.

As an erstwhile Apple eco-system user, I'll share my perspective. To be blunt, it is only hype and myopia that led me to upgrade to successive iPhone launches. There is absolutely nothing exceptional in experience terms which an iPhone offers over flagship Android phones priced at 1/4th the cost.

Also, when I had last used an Android phone about 6-7 years ago, the Android eco-system was not as app rich as it was, neither the performance of the OS/Handset itself was on-par with the then iPhones. So that inferior experience created a negative perception. It is only when I got out of the Apple eco-system and bought a Samsung Galaxy A70 recently that I realized how VFM the Samsung is for a cost of 29k INR. A phone which costs 29k - offers a AMOLED display which has superb resolution, offers 128 GB of on-board memory, a 32 MP triple camera and the hand-set experience is also great!

I cannot justify spending 1 lac on a phone anymore and as a matter of fact, looking backward, see previous iPhone purchases as a lesson learnt to not have wasted money.

In the cost of a 1 lac iPhone, one can get a full-system exhaust for a premium motorcycle, or even 1/3rd of a premium motorcycle itself (the Interceptor 650)! That's how over-priced a "telephone" has become.

However a smart-phone is an aspiration-based purchase and hence, to each their own.

Last edited by GoBlue : 16th September 2019 at 16:14.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:49   #12062
Team-BHP Support

I am an iPhone and a complete apple ecosystem user since many years now (call me fanboy if you wish to), and my take is the products indeed are overpriced! no two ways about it! and it does not makes sense to upgrade apple devices every time it is launched. I have been following this logic for a while, upgrade every alternate model, that is when there is a substantial difference from one model to another occurs. Another point being, a heavy use primary mobile device will degrade over a period of time, yes apple does have better hardware, but usually battery starts to degrade over 2 years of use. Now the good part is the resale value, unlike the androids, apple devices hold decent resale and one has to make use of that to upgrade at the right time.

I have an iPhone X but this time around apple decided to replace my device 2 months back and I have technically a brand new phone in hand. This makes it a tough call for me to upgrade. Yes it will really help to have the dual sim functionality since I depend on a secondary BSNL sim while on travel to remote places. The upgraded processor and camera definitely are enticing too, but not as much as dual sim. The iPhone X came cheap for me since it was a work anniversary gift (plus) some money from my side, still nearly a lakh for a phone is NOT digestible.

But I will place an order if I get some respite from cash back deals, usually it is 10,000 INR. I will convince myself with following calculation: 40k (resale of X) + 10k (Cashback) and spend from my end of 49k. Yes I already have a buyer for the X.

To conclude - the price part is true for most of the premium phones these days, I honestly don't believe any of them are worth over 40-50k, be it android or apple. My secondary device is an android (Huawei mate 10 pro gifted lol), but otherwise I never used to spend more than 10-15k for androids. They tumble out every other month with a new model, support is usually limited to a year or two on OS, and reliability is far lower than the worst iPhone track record I have had. One plus was my previous fav brand, but they have also become super expensive and joined the stupid price race these days. Pixel is great and priced crazy for what it offers, Samsungs are gluten OS sold on same hype marketing like iPhones. None of these guys are here to safe guard users bank balance, they are out there to make money for the business. So pick your poison and move on...
Old 16th September 2019, 16:57   #12063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
One plus was my previous fav brand, but they have also become super expensive and joined the stupid price race these days. Pixel is great and priced crazy for what it offers, Samsungs are gluten OS sold on same hype marketing like iPhones. None of these guys are here to safe guard users bank balance, they are out there to make money for the business. So pick your poison and move on...
There are very good android phone sin the 20-25 K Bracket. the Oneplus 7 Pro can technically be bought at the price of your second hand iPhone X. Oneplus has legendary reliability in my view compared to any other Samsung phone or any android phone (dont know how new Nokia Phones are). I have a Oneplus 1 which works just like it did in 2014. Same is the case with the Oneplus 3 and Oneplus 3T. I am still using a OP3 since more than 3 years without any downtime on the phone, zero visits to the service center for OP for me. I went in once voluntarily to change the battery.
Old 16th September 2019, 17:15   #12064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
However buying a phone is like getting ice-cream, each person will prefer a different flavor - and hence some may feel the price justifiable while some may not.
That analogy makes sense! And incidentally I also have an Interceptor

When you say 6-7 years ago, I kind of feel the same about Iphones, that is why I wrote specifically Iphone 6 on wards they don't feel like worth the money.
Current gen Android flagships have far surpassed the latest iphones in every aspect of comparison.
We are more of a OnePlus fan at home. (Me OP3T, Wife OP6, Sister OP5T and recently bought OP7 pro). Wife was an Apple user in the past, until the Iphone 6, then she had a Galaxy S6 edge and now swears by the Oneplus.

I am not the kind of person who cars a damn about what brand? I just look at the price vs value offered. More often then not when I am shopping for clothes I don't even look at the brand, and back home I get reaction like. Why the hell did you buy this brand!!? / OMG!! You brought the T shirt from this brand, how much is it? wasen't it expensive!!

So, as I said, Iphones have a lot of brand pull and more than the features or value it is the "brand" that people buy.
Old 16th September 2019, 18:11   #12065
BHPian

Every year at launch, how does this thread attract the Android Campers?
I don't see as many praises for the Note's or the Galaxy's.

Getting back to iOs 13 changes, I noticed that they did away with the ' text magnifying glass' when one would place their finger over a word to edit. If I remember correctly, that was the first distinguishing feature that made me sway towards the OS.
I am using the 'spacebar becomes touchpad' method to get the cursor in the right place to edit a word. And they officially got the swype function ingrained in the regular keyboard.
Old 16th September 2019, 18:21   #12066
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.K View Post
If you are sourcing it from UAE you will lose out on FaceTime.
Yes, I'm aware of it. My 6s bought from Dubai didn't come with FaceTime, I am ok with it. At that point of time, the price difference mattered a lot!

Meanwhile, my iPhone 6s screen is having some kinda problem. Probably, the screen will have to be replaced? If so, how much would it cost? I'm assuming at authorized service centre it will cost a bomb, so can anyone recommend some shop in South Mumbai to get it replaced. I'm attaching a picture below, the circled part in red is the issue!

The iPhone Thread-thumbnail_photo20190916175524.jpg
Old 16th September 2019, 18:54   #12067
Senior - BHPian

IPhones being grossly overpriced is an argument as old as the Iphone itself. I see value in that it never breaks down, and to me a downtime costs money. Does this thread exist so Android users can bash our choice of a phone, or to help the community of apple users with reviews and clarifications? Android users, I respect your prudence having weighed all options and selecting your respective phone - I really do! But let us be!
Old 16th September 2019, 20:24   #12068
Distinguished - BHPian

I think meaningful comparisons between iOS and android must continue in this thread. This is definitely one big aspect when deciding between an iPhone or android. So, I admire some bashing, sidelining etc until that is limited to just the phones and not the users!!
Old 16th September 2019, 20:32   #12069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm assuming at authorized service centre it will cost a bomb, so can anyone recommend some shop in South Mumbai to get it replaced.
Yes. Authorised will ask for 20-25000 and replace the phone altogether. You can try the iCare or iService kind of after market service, which are decent. Do a google search for their locations. There is one in Prabhadevi opposite Beaumonde tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I think meaningful comparisons between iOS and android must continue.
There is a general mobile phones thread. Comparisons can be put forward there. It helps to be iPhone specific here since a lot of specific queries, new offers etc are resolved/informed.
Old 16th September 2019, 21:50   #12070

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Meanwhile, my iPhone 6s screen is having some kinda problem.
Wouldn't the Freezer-Rice Bag method help in this case?

I had the same issue long back with my Motorola Defy and it worked for me.
Old 17th September 2019, 01:08   #12071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
IPhones being grossly overpriced is an argument as old as the Iphone itself. I see value in that it never breaks down, and to me a downtime costs money. Does this thread exist so Android users can bash our choice of a phone, or to help the community of apple users with reviews and clarifications? Android users, I respect your prudence having weighed all options and selecting your respective phone - I really do! But let us be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post

There is a general mobile phones thread. Comparisons can be put forward there. It helps to be iPhone specific here since a lot of specific queries, new offers etc are resolved/informed.
Wish people do understand, esp the bolded line! And this comparison has been going on from ages.

One of the prime reason why people do like Apple is the longetivity of the phones. I have been using iphone6 from past 5 years now and except replacing battery once there has been no downgrade in its performance. And I am a data heavy user (+ phone calls , videos and pics). Now none of the andoid flagship (except probably the OP brand) can boast the same! My wife and my sister who are Android users have replaced their phones (Samsung & Redmi) phones already 3 times collectively in the same period.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:11   #12072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
IPhones being grossly overpriced is an argument as old as the Iphone itself. I see value in that it never breaks down, ....
But let us be!
It is like our cars. I was chatting with my dentist who drives an I10. When asked about cars, she told me ' I need a car that will take me from A to B. That's all. I don't need a BMW to do that and a Hyundai will do for me'.
The other day I was chatting with a famous surgeon in Chennai - a friend.

When I asked him why he keeps changing his Beemer every few years he replied with a smile - " It is all a matter of perception. If I don't change my car every 3 years, people ask me what's wrong doc ? You have any problem in your practice?"

In reality, each has profound wisdom in their arriving at the decision. Same way, people who use iPhones probably buy them - for convenience, reliability, longevity and brand value. And iPhones are not always frighteningly expensive. iPhone SE, when I bought a couple of years ago cost just about 20k.
Old 17th September 2019, 10:15   #12073
BHPian

It is like veganism. Once bitten by the bug they cannot help but proselytize. Spread the good word so that the others in the wrong camp could be saved.

Or like those "evil dead" kind of movies - after getting bitten by a vampire they go around biting other people.

Have you ever seen such proselytizing by iPhone users in Android forums?
Old 17th September 2019, 10:53   #12074
Senior - BHPian

No proselytizing by iPhone users at all because they are a content lot. LOL. iPhone feels so classy to hold and to use, and is so intuitive, that small details like screen or RAM get lost in the experience. Someone posted that the iPhone screen is all crap compared to Androids, and to that I take umbrage. Meanwhile Apple renovates their 5th Avenue store, to give an even more heightened experience. Now, Android users will have something more to say about that. I'm commenting on a lighter vein guys, so please chill!
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-screenshot-20190917-10.49.21-am.png  

Old 17th September 2019, 11:55   #12075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
the Oneplus 7 Pro can technically be bought at the price of your second hand iPhone X.
Let us compare one plus to one plus on launch day price. They were superb VFM when they were under 20k, became ok ish in 30's, started becoming expensive at 40 and now and am talking about top spec. I also am a fan of one plus just like apple and both are taking us for a ride on price front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks