Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2019, 20:08   #12196
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Is the iPhone 6S still good in 2019? There is an offer in Amazon for 20k. Want to upgrade my wife's 5S (with an ailing battery) and the new crop of iPhones are all heavy and bulky. 6S is the last iPhone with a headphone jack.
Old 28th September 2019, 20:12   #12197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Is the iPhone 6S still good in 2019? There is an offer in Amazon for 20k. Want to upgrade my wife's 5S (with an ailing battery) and the new crop of iPhones are all heavy and bulky. 6S is the last iPhone with a headphone jack.
For a moderate user who won't need top-shelf specs and an expected phone life of 2-3 years, it seems terrific value at that price. There may be additional discounts for certain payment modes.

Plenty of people I know are holding onto their 6S still working flawlessly. Better half uses an SE (which is essentially the 6S minus a few bits in a smaller form factor).

It's a fantastic fill it, shut it, forget it option for a moderate user at that price, and looks great too.
Old 28th September 2019, 22:16   #12198
BHPian

Hey,
I am planning to buy iPhone this sale season.
Please help in deciding which deal is better
iPhone XR in 40k on Amazon
Or
iPhone X in 44k on Flipkart ( I hope they have enough number of pieces, and it's not just a gimmick )
Old 28th September 2019, 23:55   #12199
BANNED

Quote:
My wife is using 3 year old 6s updated to ios13, its still very fast, but camera little weak by today's standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hey,
Or
iPhone X in 44k on Flipkart ( I hope they have enough number of pieces, and it's not just a gimmick )

XR for

Battery backup
Selfie camera portrait mode(with dept control adjustment)
Back camera portrait mode(with dept control adjustment)
dual sim(e-sim)
smart HDR
New Hardware

X for
Better display (oled)
More premium build i guess
Dual camera for telephoto zoom
Thin bezels and notch compared to xr

but google the above information to confirm..
Old 29th September 2019, 01:37   #12200
BHPian

Call silence feature for unknown numbers on iOS 13 is useful. Especially helps Truecaller users who use the iPhone because that app is pretty pointless.
Old 29th September 2019, 01:48   #12201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hey,

XR is your best bet in terms of privacy and security.
It's more secure with the A12 chip, that is secure against the recent checkm8 exploit.

But on the flip side, the display is kind of a bummer, an LCD, glorified as a Retina LCD with True Tone which doesn't appear so nice, but X's QLED is still a lot better and crisp. Worth paying the premium, I would say yes - X's smaller screen size is more manageable and ergonomic than the XR, also it looks a lot more better and vibrant.

But X has A11 chip which is currently vulnerable to checkm8 and insecure. If privacy and security is a factor for you, then go for XR with newer and better chip!

Oh, and I miss the 3D-Touch in iPhone XR
Also, you don't get Animoji in XR.
Both of which, you get in X.

In my personal opinion: Go for XR, bigger display (maybe ergonomically bad), newer chip - A12 with unmatched performance and improved security. It's overall a better package.
Old 29th September 2019, 01:57   #12202
BHPian

Quote:
Have used it for a while. It performs well, but A9 chip in 2019 seems too dated - no future OS upgrades, since Apple won't support it from now on. Worth spending your 20k on it?

My advise would be to spend some more and get the 7, which I currently use as one of my primary phones (for rough usage) and it fares well, except for the battery backup which is getting poorer each day.

Cheers!
Old 29th September 2019, 02:33   #12203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am using the 7 Plus.
Do you have a US source? Use 7plus with 128GB sell for around 300-350$ in excellent condition. Would make sense to snag a used 7 or 8 which would be very good.

Infact a used 8 in less than 400$ would work very good.

On the 6S, it depends on what apps etc., you are using. Works great for most people. Have friends using the 6S here and they get by fine using the regular google maps and stuff, but when it comes to prime video, netflix etc., the slight lag can be felt.

So 7/8 is what you should try and get.
Old 29th September 2019, 07:15   #12204
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the iPhone 8Plus for almost a couple of years, and am starting to feel ergonomic issues now. While it still works quite well and has a very good dual lens camera set up, I am somehow getting the need to 'downsize' . In this world of "slim fit and sharp fit" trousers, at age 45, a big 16:9 phone is a bit of a bother, if you know what I mean. But I am not able to see any decent medium size high performance phone other than the iPhone 11 Pro, that's an upgrade worth around 69K. Slightly more than what I paid for the 8Plus two years ago. Thats likely to invite more than just a frown from the Missus.
Old 29th September 2019, 07:29   #12205
BHPian

Quote:
The 6s was launched almost 5 years back and it makes absolutely no sense to get one in 2019 unless you really really must stay on Apple. The headphone jack is irrelevant. You will get adapters. Get an XR if you can with all the deals going around. If you don't want to spend that much, bite the bullet and switch to Android. There are several terrific options in the 20k range that will blow the 6s out of the water in every respect.

Please don't waste 20k on a terribly outdated phone.
Old 29th September 2019, 08:08   #12206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Just ordered a 64GB black XR for 38k through my SBI debit card.
Nice.. just noticed that Amazon jacked the price up to ₹ 42,999.00. Almost 5K increase
Old 29th September 2019, 08:55   #12207
Senior - BHPian

I have an iPhone SE bought in 2015. Recently updated to iOS 13.1.1. Funnily now it seems to have 3D Touch. Can anyone tell me if it was always there?
Old 29th September 2019, 09:57   #12208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have an iPhone SE bought in 2015. Recently updated to iOS 13.1.1. Funnily now it seems to have 3D Touch. Can anyone tell me if it was always there?
SE didn’t have the 3D Touch feature speaking in terms of the hardware. But the recent iOS 13 has found a software trick to replace the 3D Touch by a long press n hold or haptic Touch which has essentially killed the 3D Touch based on hardware capabilities. So devices which originally didn’t have 3D Touch can now also enjoy that feature.

Regards,
Saket
Old 29th September 2019, 18:46   #12209
Team-BHP Support

Is there an easier way to block spam messages from the messaging app, other than clicking on the i, and then open the contact and block it?
Old 29th September 2019, 19:15   #12210

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is there an easier way to block spam messages from the messaging app, other than clicking on the i, and then open the contact and block it?
If you want to hide alerts the easiest way is to swipe left and click on hide alerts. For blocking I think you need to follow what you do.

Most Viewed