Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2020, 16:00   #12556
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I have iPhone 6S bought from US and its model number is A1688. It was originally Verizon Model which means it was sort of Unlocked (LTE/GSM Part). I have been using the phone on Vodafone and it always worked fine. Even 4G Part (except where network was crappy). When 4G wasn't good, it would fallback to 3G.

I recently ported my number to Airtel as it is supposedly having better network at my home, office and the route between. But with my iPhone 6S, whenever the phone is connected to Band 40, most of the times, the 4G does not work properly. The signal shows as 4G but actual apps / websites etc don't work / open. When connected to Band 3, it works fine. I checked this by entering field test mode in my phone. Whenever, while using the phone, even with strong 4G network, I found that actual stuff doesn't work, I would go into field test mode and see the band. This is how I deduced that Band 40 isn't working properly while 3 does.

Now, for a day, I put the SIM card in my iPhone 5S which is originally Boost Mobile (from US) and it has been unlocked. This is model# A1453 and does not even have Band 40 but does have Band 3. I tried the phone for entire day and the 4G on it was strong at almost all the places and it sort of never failed on me. I reckon, my phone was always connected to Band 3 as it does not have Band 40 anyways.

So what exactly is the problem here and why I am facing deteriorated performance of 4G on my iPhone 6S when connected to Band 40. To top it, I believe Airtel has shut their 3G network so my phone directly goes to NO data mode (not even edge most of the times) as there is no 3G fallback. I don't really intend to buy a new phone as my 6S still works well and I want to avoid using the 5S.
Old 10th January 2020, 16:13   #12557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post

I have assessed spigen cases, but all the reviews have given negative feedback on clear cases :(

your assistance is really required.
I use spigen bought in the USA on my iPhone, it has withstood the abuse till now. I would recommend that you check out Spigen once more.
Old 10th January 2020, 17:00   #12558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
What would you guys suggest?
If you are going to keep the phone for a year or more, just blindly go for the original screen replacement at Apple. The difference of around 6 thousand will be more than worth it.

Many times, the outside fix in India will not be up to mark and show its inferior quality in some time.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2020, 17:26   #12559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
So what exactly is the problem here and why I am facing deteriorated performance of 4G on my iPhone 6S when connected to Band 40. To top it, I believe Airtel has shut their 3G network so my phone directly goes to NO data mode (not even edge most of the times) as there is no 3G fallback. I don't really intend to buy a new phone as my 6S still works well and I want to avoid using the 5S.
Have you tried updating the carrier settings on the phone? Might be worth a try.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270
Old 11th January 2020, 08:26   #12560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Have you tried updating the carrier settings on the phone? Might be worth a try.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201270

I didn't explicitly get any Carrier update and no clue how I can force one but I did try "Reset Network Settings" after your post but that didn't help. My wife has Verizon iPhone X and I tried my sim in her phone and I too for some time felt that the same issue is occurring but even connected to band 40 on her phone, I was able to access websites.

It appears I may have to just continue using airtel for next 3 months and then port back to Vodafone.
Old 12th January 2020, 15:40   #12561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I use spigen bought in the USA on my iPhone, it has withstood the abuse till now. I would recommend that you check out Spigen once more.
Another fan of spigen cases. Bought one for my XS on Amazon India for 999 INR and it’s solid.
Old 12th January 2020, 21:11   #12562
BHPian

I don't have Spigen case now (but a clone) and can vouch for Spigen tough armor cases. Thoroughly protects the iPhone.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:56   #12563
Distinguished - BHPian

I have use Spigen tough armor cases (and cases from Otter Box) with several phones including the current IP7+. They are among the best.
Old 13th January 2020, 12:37   #12564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Please suggest some clear cases which will not turn yellow or some other cases which protects the phone well and prefer a thin designs as well.
All Silicon clear cases turn yellow, whether Spigen or Ringke or anything. Since the phone is Grey, try if Smoked black version is available with Spigen or Ringke. Lastly Spigen/Ringke or other Hybrid cases which provide drop protection will add bulk to your phone, but you will get used to it in no time.

Quote:
I believe Airtel has shut their 3G network so my phone directly goes to NO data mode (not even edge most of the times) as there is no 3G fallback.

No, Airtel has not fully converted to full 4G/LTE like Jio. Secondly, I doubt it is your phone that is the problem. The Bands will either work or not work at all. Your 6S does have the required bands 3 & 40, so the issue is mostly causing due to Airtel.As of now, enjoy the VoWiFi facility Airtel has introduced, to tide over lost connectivity within Mumbai.

If possible, go Roaming outside Mumbai, where you will be able to catch Airtel MH ( beyond Airtel Mumbai) network. If I am not wrong, other than Mumbai, Airtel is solely on Band 40 in Rest of MH and you should be able to overcome your doubts.
Lastly, going by the Twitter Tweets on Vodafone or Airtel, lots of connectivity complaints for both,so times are bad for all service providers.

Attaching my ready reckoner for Bands used by Service Providers.
Attached Images

Last edited by riteshritesh : 13th January 2020 at 12:45.
Old 13th January 2020, 13:57   #12565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
No, Airtel has not fully converted to full 4G/LTE like Jio. Secondly, I doubt it is your phone that is the problem. The Bands will either work or not work at all. Your 6S does have the required bands 3 & 40, so the issue is mostly causing due to Airtel.As of now, enjoy the VoWiFi facility Airtel has introduced, to tide over lost connectivity within Mumbai.

If possible, go Roaming outside Mumbai, where you will be able to catch Airtel MH ( beyond Airtel Mumbai) network. If I am not wrong, other than Mumbai, Airtel is solely on Band 40 in Rest of MH and you should be able to overcome your doubts.
Lastly, going by the Twitter Tweets on Vodafone or Airtel, lots of connectivity complaints for both,so times are bad for all service providers.

Attaching my ready reckoner for Bands used by Service Providers.

As per the picture you posted, Airtel used 3 and 40 while Vodafone uses 3 only. Now, in my phone, Airtel 4G would work only when connected to Band 3 (checked using Field Test Mode) and won't work in Band 40 (4G signal would show but no actual connectivity).

The flip side is that my wife's iPhone X which is also from Verizon works fine on Airtel 4G and on Band 40 so it is probably my phone to blame. Currently, I am using older iPhone 5S which only has Band 3 (from 3 and 40 that Airtel uses) and I get great 4G connectivity.
Btw, I travel from Borivali to Airoli via Ghodbunder Road so I am guessing I switch between Mumbai and Maharashtra networks of Airtel. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by raksrules : 13th January 2020 at 14:23.
Old 13th January 2020, 15:28   #12566
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, I travel from Borivali to Airoli via Ghodbunder Road so I am guessing I switch between Mumbai and Maharashtra networks of Airtel. Correct me if I am wrong.
It would be much beyond that, maybe Karjat that side and post Bhatan Tunnel on the expressway.
Old 29th January 2020, 18:06   #12567
Team-BHP Support

https://www.iclarified.com/74253/app...vices-download

Quote:
Apple has released iOS 12.4.5 for older iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices.

iOS 12.4.5 provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

The iOS 12.4.5 update is now available for the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, and iPod touch 6G.
https://www.iclarified.com/74238/app...-more-download

Quote:
Apple has released iOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 13.3.1 which brings fixes for issues with FaceTime, Communications Limits, Location Services, CarPlay, Mail, and more.

iOS 13.3.1 includes bug fixes and improvements.

This update:
● Fixes an issue in Communication Limits that could allow a contact to be added without entering the Screen Time passcode
● Adds a setting to control the use of location services by the U1 Ultra Wideband chip
● Addresses an issue that could cause a momentary delay before editing a Deep Fusion photo taken on iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro
● Resolves an issue with Mail that could cause remote images to load even when the “Load Remote Images” setting is disabled
● Fixes an issue that could cause multiple undo dialogs to appear in Mail
● Addresses an issue where FaceTime could use the rear facing ultra-wide camera instead of the wide camera
● Resolves an issue where push notifications could fail to be delivered over Wi-Fi
● Addresses a CarPlay issue that could cause distorted sound when making phone calls in certain vehicles
● Introduces support for Indian English Siri voices for HomePod
Old 31st January 2020, 20:05   #12568
BHPian

Does anyone here uses paid iCloud storage? I took the 50GB for a month to try something. I have a 64GB iphone 6S whose 42GB is full and I enabled backup of the phone to cloud. When it was done, I saw that the size occupied by the backup was under 10GB. I am not sure how it can be so less. Was it like the apps were not stored and only it's data and then app is downloaded when I restore? Can anyone explain?
Old 1st February 2020, 12:08   #12569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone here uses paid iCloud storage? I took the 50GB for a month to try something. I have a 64GB iphone 6S whose 42GB is full and I enabled backup of the phone to cloud. When it was done, I saw that the size occupied by the backup was under 10GB. I am not sure how it can be so less. Was it like the apps were not stored and only it's data and then app is downloaded when I restore? Can anyone explain?
Only app data is stored on icloud, apps are restored from the . Also for photos backup there are many options, make sure you have full backup enabled.
Old 1st February 2020, 15:00   #12570
BHPian

Has anyone replaced their iPhone 7 battery recently? Any idea how much does it cost in total; & if it’s really worth doing the replacement?
Mine had dropped below the 79% threshold & is showing a ‘service’ condition. Moreover the battery backup has dropped tremendously & needs to be recharged twice a day for an average usage. My iPhone 7 is around 2.7 years old.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks