Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2020, 08:22   #12736
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I need to buy the iPhone SE 2020 for my better half who wants only apple and a small phone. She is not a fan of big screen sizes and this will be a upgrade from her existing SE.
However, whatever reviews I could see are less than encouraging. Has anyone here tried one and what’s your personal experience.

The above two conditions cannot be changed. So please don’t reply about how cost effective is XR or android. I need to buy only SE maybe after a few months, once some deals kick in.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 08:34   #12737
Senior - BHPian

If you have already decided, the opinions of others should not matter. Go ahead and buy it without any regrets! The form factor is something you won't get from other smartphones. BTW, I use two old iPhone SE (original one) which I bought from Flipkart 2 years back - one as a backup in case the other is lost or malfunction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
I need to buy the iPhone SE 2020 for my better half who wants only apple and a small phone. She is not a fan of big screen sizes and this will be a upgrade from her existing SE.
However, whatever reviews I could see are less than encouraging. Has anyone here tried one and what’s your personal experience.

The above two conditions cannot be changed. So please don’t reply about how cost effective is XR or android. I need to buy only SE maybe after a few months, once some deals kick in.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 08:40   #12738
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sree, I have tried the new SE through a friend as he bought it and I've been in touch. The major points of concern are that the looks are way too 2015, as it's the same design language used in the phone Apple launched 5 years ago! (iPhone 6)

Secondly, battery life is an issue and it was expected to be considering the powerful CPU and GPU but limited space for the battery to power them. It goes by one day barely, if your wife is even a mild power user.

Lastly, the camera isn't what you call a flagship quality camera. It performs well enough, but nothing spectacular.

I'd opine to wait for the next generation model. A leak has shown a smaller screen size (5.4 inches) than the existing bezel-less iPhones in the works to be launched this year. It'll be updated, will have more screen real estate in a similar form factor as the SE and might as well have a better camera setup. And rumours mill says that the pricing of the same will be below the current gen iPhone 11.

Also, as per some sources, Apple's production of the next gen iPhone seems to be getting close to on-track and they've recovered much from the crisis.

Cheers!
Archie_27 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 01:37   #12739
Senior - BHPian

WWDC Keynote 2020 - Unveil of iOS 14

iOS is finally getting home screen widgets.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011849.jpg

New Siri animation is cleaned up and doesn’t take up the whole screen.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011857.jpg

Memoji has masks now.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011902.jpg

Lots of new improvements coming to Apple Maps - New countries, Cycling routing, Electric vehicle routing.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011907.jpg

iOS 14 now gets app clips which are a tiny part of an app that you can quickly, temporarily use.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011917.jpg

Also gets the new widgets
Siri animation is cleaned to the bottom corner
Incoming calls and Facetimes no longer take over the whole screen
New smaller universal search bar
Also fascinating that the iPad is landscape in pretty much this entire iPadOS demo.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011924.jpg

Handwashing automatic detection and a little coaching to make sure you actually do it for the full 20 seconds.

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011931.jpg

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011933.jpg

New OS X design is clean
New icons
Control center in the top right
Refreshed app designs

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011940.jpg

Mac Pro with Apple built in processor

The iPhone Thread-20200623_011954.jpg

Source : MKBHD

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd June 2020 at 01:39.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 21:32   #12740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She is not a fan of big screen sizes and this will be a upgrade from her existing SE.
Camera will also be like iPhone 8. Previous gen SE was = 6S I think. Battery life isn't going to be like a 11 (I get nearly 2 full days). Form factor is ok. For an existing SE owner, these all should be a given.

With HDFC CC I think there is 3600 INR cash back (which you'll get 90 days after purchase).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
iOS is finally getting home screen widgets.
And long overdue App Library. I wonder why it took such a long time to get this when Android third party launchers had them almost 7-8 years back

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 23rd June 2020 at 22:46. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:42   #12741
BHPian

Hi, I have a 4 year old SE as my work phone. In perfect condition, only grouse it is 16GB. The others in storage has taken up 5 Gigs. Is there a way to delete that? I know i have the option of backing up, resetting and restoring. Incase i do that does whatsapp get restored too? Whatsapp backup to icloud not possible as it needs 2 gb odd to carry out function. Any work around?
Old 25th June 2020, 13:15   #12742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
Hi, I have a 4 year old SE know i have the option of backing up, resetting and restoring. Incase i do that does whatsapp get restored too?
Whatsapp does gets backed up, but so will the "Others". In this day and age, in my opinion, you have to be really frugal with your photo gallery and whatsapp chats (Specially the group chats) to survive with 16gb storage on an iOS device (App size is way smaller on androids). I would suggest you to invest in iCloud storage or external drives but that again is an additional cash flow and is not a very convenient solution.

My final advise would be to upgrade to the latest SE or Xr / 11 or even last gen 8 depending on your budget and screen size requirements (Provided you do not wish to leave apple eco system).
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 13:58   #12743
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Sree,

I bought the SE on June 2nd. I switched from S20+.

I was initially apprehensive of this phone, but I needed something which just gets the job done and isn't too much of a headache to use. SE is my first entry into the Apple ecosystem.

Getting to the obvious point, yes the phone looks dated, no doubt about it. But that isn't a big dealbreaker according to me. I personally prefer the 4.7-inch display and is more than enough for your regular web browsing, social media usage, and phone calls. My battery life was initially bad but after one software update, The screen on time increased from a measly 4.5 hours to an impressive 7.5 hours. This included Social media usage, web browsing, and really long phone calls. To give you a fair idea, I take it out of charge at 8 am and re-charge at 11 pm in the night; quite impressive for 1821 mah battery. Absolutely no stutters or lags whatsoever and the phone feels really fluid and seamless. You cannot go wrong with this phone and that too being an Apple. No comments on the camera because I still haven't taken a single picture. The audio is loud and crisp!

I feel this would suit your wife perfectly if this is how the usage condition is going to be.
Old 25th June 2020, 14:02   #12744
BHPian

Facing a weird issue. The OTPs that i receive are not auto filling anymore. Has this been removed recently by Apple due to some security concern? I am running iOS 13.5.1 on my iPhone XR.

Rohan
Old 25th June 2020, 16:44   #12745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Facing a weird issue. The OTPs that i receive are not auto filling anymore. Has this been removed recently by Apple due to some security concern? I am running iOS 13.5.1 on my iPhone XR.

Rohan
Yep, I observed this too. But is random. There are two use cases:

1) OTPs (for apps like Uber, Swiggy etc.): some apps get auto-filled, some filled

2) Suggestions for OTP from Messages: earlier, I got the prompt mentioning I got an OTP in Messages, and I could tap to use it. I don't remember seeing that option of late.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 18:21   #12746
Senior - BHPian

That was a good feature but its random these days. Sometimes it happens, and most times - not.
Quote:
Facing a weird issue. The OTPs that i receive are not auto filling anymore. Has this been removed recently by Apple due to some security concern? I am running iOS 13.5.1 on my iPhone XR
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:27   #12747
Team-BHP Support

The last iPhone I used was the 7.

Was thinking of the 11, the Pro Max is too steeply priced to be honest, would not want to invest that much.

Do iPhones suggest names when you start keying in numbers or still do not?

Does Truecaller's app show you the name or it appears post the call is cut and you have to look it up?

Quote:
I think it is happening with androids too.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th June 2020 at 19:29.
Old 29th June 2020, 19:38   #12748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Was thinking of the 11, the Pro Max is too steeply priced to be honest, would not want to invest that much.
iPhone 11 is a fantastic phone.

Quote:
Nope. No suggestions.

Quote:
Does Truecaller's app show you the name or it appears post the call is cut and you have to look it up?
You have to look it up.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:48   #12749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You mean, if I start typing numbers, say 9 then 8 then 7, it will show all the contacts that have numbers starting with 9, then 98, then 987.

Yes, they do.

Same with names. When you enter an alphabet, say A, it will show all names that have names names starting with A, and names with A in it. And the search result get dynamically updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Nope. No suggestions.
Eh? Of course they do. Unless I've misunderstood Sheel's question.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:49   #12750
Senior - BHPian

Apple to include a fast 20W charger with iPhone12 (right now it's 5W). This phone will be the year's most competitively priced product as per Forbes report (makes senses given the Covid situation). iPhone 11 prices will dip then, making it very affordable, hopefully
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks