Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 16:13   #12886
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

My issue seems quite classical
1. battery goes from 100-20% in 2 hrs sometimes and 8 hrs sometimes irrespective of usage
2. random heating issues
3. Once battery drains and switches off, it takes a long time to restart when plugged in
4. Battery health at 80% which is pretty good.

Am afraid to take to apple care as they might ask me to change the board. Still looking for someone who can do chip level repair. Quite cheap in the USA apparently.
Old 31st August 2020, 22:45   #12887
Distinguished - BHPian

Facing an irritating issue since last few months. My 6S keeps dropping the data randomly. It doesn’t drop the cellular connection but just the data. Even the 4G indicator stays. Just the phone will not open any page/ WhatsApp. Same behaviour if it’s being used as a hotspot. The only remedy seems to toggle the airplane mode on and off or another option is to wait and data might resume afterwards automatically.
I’ve tried resetting the network settings a couple of times but no luck. I’m on 13.5.1

Any help?

Regards
Old 31st August 2020, 23:56   #12888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Facing an irritating issue since last few months. My 6S keeps dropping the data randomly. It doesn’t drop the cellular connection but just the data. Even the 4G indicator stays. Just the phone will not open any page/ WhatsApp. Same behaviour if it’s being used as a hotspot
I have had this issue with my 6S but only with Airtel and Jio networks in Mumbai. My 6S is Verizon One bought from US. In vodafone, 4G works fine but when using airtel or Jio sim, most times 4G won't work even when full bars and 4G is shown.

Issue was found that in Mumbai, airtel and Jio were connecting to band 40 and that's when internet would not work but if they connected to band 3 or so, it would work (connecting to band 3 happened rarely).
Vodafone does not even use band 40 so I never had issues with it and about 6 months back I had ported to airtel (i didn't know about this issue then), I am now back with vodafone.

Please check below thread me only on another tech forum...

https://techenclave.com/community/th...band-3.191331/
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:27   #12889
Distinguished - BHPian

I had my old iPhone 6s which had a deteriorating battery life, at 77%. Needless to say there was nothing much I could expect from the battery life. Since I used this as my secondary phone during international travel, I thought of swapping the battery since apart from the battery and a crack on the screen, the phone runs perfect even after four years without any issues, lags and stuff. I checked with Apple and they quoted a 5k estimate and were also not ok to take the damaged phone. I realised that DIY is possible and brought a battery off Amazon. This was the relatively expensive one at Rs 1999. The rest were around 1200 range. This looks and feels exactly like the original. The battery also came with the exact double sided tape that Apple used in the phone. So the installation went smooth and the battery life indicator shows 100%. The initial state of charge of the battery was 25% but it depleted pretty quickly to 20% after which I am charging it fully now. The seller recommends a factory reset of the phone after 100% charge. Lets see how that goes. Here is a comparison picture of the OE battery to the left and the replacement battery to the right. Unfortunately I could not take WIP pictures. I also ordered a replacement screen gasket/adhesive which I will install once the battery is verified to be working fine.
The iPhone Thread-img_5409.jpg

The OE battery got damaged since I messed up on the removal of existing double sided tape. The tape snapped off since while pulling it it rubbed against the sharp edge of the taptic engine. Hence I had to lift the battery slightly to get the rest of the double sided tape. Took extreme caution while doing this since if the battery gets punctured or compressed it would be a fire hazard.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th September 2020 at 19:30.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:16   #12890
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sankalp. If possible please share how did you got the display out as I believe it’s stuck in place. Also, can you share the link for the particular battery you got? Will help a lot 6s owners. Also do share how the battery performs.

Regards.
Old 5th September 2020, 20:41   #12891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi Sankalp. If possible please share how did you got the display out as I believe it’s stuck in place. Also, can you share the link for the particular battery you got? Will help a lot 6s owners. Also do share how the battery performs.

Regards.
Hi Saket, the brand of the battery as per the seller is Zewon. (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) It does mention that its the original battery, but I am not sure how to verify it. Regarding the display, like I mentioned earlier the display is pasted using a double sided gasket tape. After unscrewing the bottom pair of screws next to the charging port, I slightly warmed up the phone and starting from the bottom, I inserted a sharp plastic spatula into the metal-plastic gap. The bottom edge lifts easily but for the sides, you will have to retain slight force on the spatula and patiently wait as the adhesive frees up. For me the other issue was since I had a crack, I did not want to put too much force too and with gradual force I waited for a while. You can refer to this video:

This guy uses a metal strip to free the screen and I feel it is risky and dangerous, and neither does it need to be inserted so deep. All you have to do is slightly split the edges at the bottom and leave the rest to the force. A part of the adhesive gasket does get damaged since some of it comes onto the display while the rest remains on the body. Hence, it is recommended to replace this gasket if the display has been opened up. I have ordered the same in amazon for another 400 rupees a pair. But now upon looking at my orders, I realised I have ordered the wrong variant, meant for the 6S plus in a hurry. Need to make some jugaad adjustment to the size since they dont have the one for 6S in stock Currently the fit and finish is fine.

The iPhone Thread-img_5413.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_5416.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_5417.jpg

But I believe the phone is no longer waterproof. Hence I will try to get this sorted asap. For removal, I used AmazonBasics toolkit for phone which had the screw bit(mind you, the screws are very minute) and also had the vacuum puller and plastic tab. Total damage to pocket was 2800 including the toolkit.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 21:28   #12892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For removal, I used AmazonBasics toolkit for phone which had the screw bit(mind you, the screws are very minute) and also had the vacuum puller and plastic tab. Total damage to pocket was 2800 including the toolkit.
How is the quality of the screwdrivers? I had ordered a 'Prime Deals Heavy Magnetic Precision Screwdriver Set' as the reviews were good. Used the P5 to remove the back of my MacBook Air but the screwdriver bit sheared when putting the second screw back on. Very poor quality. Does your set have a P5 in addition to a P2?

Also these are my battery stats for my iPhone SE. But Battery health is stubborn at 80%. Could it be the U2 Tristar chip issue?
Name:  Screen Shot 20200905 at 9.22.33 PM.png
Views: 692
Size:  158.4 KB
Old 5th September 2020, 21:37   #12893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
How is the quality of the screwdrivers? I had ordered a 'Prime Deals Heavy Magnetic Precision Screwdriver Set' as the reviews were good. Used the P5 to remove the back of my MacBook Air but the screwdriver bit sheared when putting the second screw back on. Very poor quality. Does your set have a P5 in addition to a P2?
]
Hi Ranjit,
The overall quality is very good. I was using a Chinese 200 rupee set earlier which had more bits but as you say, they would easily sheer or get blunt. This set looks pretty good but let me admit that for the iphone, I didn't apply force while tightening the screws. I lightly twisted until there was some resistance and left it at that stage. These screws are to be tightened just to integrate the parts and not carry any load or forces. Hence I don't really know if the bits can withstand shearing upon tightening with force. I am also worried about the screws meeting the same fate hence no experiments. Here are the bits provided:
The iPhone Thread-b2dfc0754890425caaf4e5b3ce31c2db.jpeg
There are two rows of bits in the array. Totally there are 12 bits.

Last edited by audioholic : 5th September 2020 at 21:38.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 21:45   #12894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Saket, the brand of the battery as per the seller is Zewon. (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) It does mention that its the original battery, but I am not sure how to verify it. Regarding the display, like I mentioned earlier the display is pasted using a double sided gasket tape.
Thank you so much Sankalp for the detailed update. As you might have guessed, I’m on 6S too with battery at 85% levels but I think the way it is going south, I’ll need to go your way very soon. So, I’ll keeping interest in the performance of your battery.

I do have the screwdriver. In fact a couple of them. One I got from iFixit and another from mmobiel. Both are of decent quality and should see you through for quite some time. As another member posted, mmobiel one is a set of 32 bits and it does also has one for the MacBook.

Regarding waterproofing, I think 6S was not supposed to be waterproof anyway. It’s halfway there at the most. My 6s had a very small amount of water going in from the earpiece speaker hole and it damaged the front mic in there.

Thanks for the link and detailed description. Goes long way.

Regards.
Old 5th September 2020, 22:02   #12895
BHPian

@audioholic and @saket

I had asked authorized apple reseller in Mumbai near my home and they quoted me ₹2850 for iPhone 6S battery. I am not sure how @audioholic was quoted 5K.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 00:03   #12896
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
@audioholic and @saket

I had asked authorized apple reseller in Mumbai near my home and they quoted me ₹2850 for iPhone 6S battery. I am not sure how @audioholic was quoted 5K.
Is this the latest? Earlier Apple was running a battery replacement programme during which even I was quoted 2k odd rupees. But after that ended, when I went in this February to replace my 8 Plus, they gave me a quote of 4800 or 5000 IIRC. Until then I had always planned to get the battery replaced at Apple but when the battery replacement programme stopped, the price increased. But not sure if they decreased it now, which would be unfortunate for me.
Old 6th September 2020, 08:49   #12897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Mumbai Rates are like that. My iPhone SE battery replacement estimate was Rs. 6k. Plus these guys want 4-7 working days with the phone. Perhaps you should start a courier based iPhone repair service.
Old 6th September 2020, 08:55   #12898

I got my iPhone 7 battery replaced at Maple (Apple Authorized Service center) in March for ~3500 pre lockdown. Don't know how you got a 6K estimate for an SE - quite absurd. Do get a quote from Maple.
manu220194 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 09:30   #12899
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the latest?
Yes I had asked just one month back. They told me they may need to keep phone for few days if battery isn't in stock but for me they told it was in stock and they could do in 1-2 days. I didn't go ahead as my battery was okiesh then.
Old 6th September 2020, 12:19   #12900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is this the latest?

In Kolkata, it's 3600 to replace the battery. Latest.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th September 2020 at 12:45. Reason: Trimmed quote

Most Viewed