Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2020, 14:03   #12916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

iOS 14 downloaded and lots to explore/learn.

One very convenient feature is buried in Accessibility.

Accessibility > Touch > (right at the bottom) Back Tap. There are various options available for a double tap or a triple tap on the back of the phone. It’s very intuitive and simple.

I find one setting particularly interesting - double tap (or triple tap, it’s up to you) to take a screenshot. No more fiddling with side buttons or otherwise on older iPhones. Simply double tap (or triple tap) and a screenshot is taken.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 15:11   #12917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I find one setting particularly interesting - double tap (or triple tap, it’s up to you) to take a screenshot. No more fiddling with side buttons or otherwise on older iPhones. Simply double tap (or triple tap) and a screenshot is taken.
This was something new for me Thanks. I have set double tap to app switcher and triple tap to screenshot.
Old 17th September 2020, 15:41   #12918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
This was something new for me Thanks. I have set double tap to app switcher and triple tap to screenshot.
You are welcome Audioholic 😊

I did some research on this, it seems Back Tap works only with glass back iPhones. Supposedly, it won’t work with the 6S or the 7.

Owners of the 6S/7 who have upgraded to iOS 14 please confirm/deny. It would be good to know and these owners won’t go crazy as to why Back Tap is not working on their phone.

Cheers
Old 17th September 2020, 15:54   #12919
BHPian

Quote:
Accessibility > Touch > (right at the bottom) Back Tap. There are various options available for a double tap or a triple tap on the back of the phone. It’s very intuitive and simple.

Cheers
This is an excellent find Cyborg. Thanks.
This isn't available in iPhone 7 (where I installed iOS14 in the morning).
Have now scheduled download for my Xs
Old 17th September 2020, 16:27   #12920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Replaced the battery of the iPhone 7 as well successfully. Found a so called genuine replacement battery on Amazon for 1699 and it came in a similar packaging as my earlier replacement battery along with a replacement dual sided tape similar to OE.
Link to the battery please.
Old 17th September 2020, 16:49   #12921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are welcome Audioholic 😊

I did some research on this, it seems Back Tap works only with glass back iPhones. Supposedly, it won’t work with the 6S or the 7.

Owners of the 6S/7 who have upgraded to iOS 14 please confirm/deny. It would be good to know and these owners won’t go crazy as to why Back Tap is not working on their phone.

Cheers
There is a problem with this.

The moment I read your post I tried this and got the settings changed. Now, whenever I am keeping my phone down on a hard surface its taking a screenshot.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 16:58   #12922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Link to the battery please.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the link. The battery has lasted three days with occasional use and finally arrived at 1%. I will recharge once the battery goes dead to recalibrate and then also upgrade iOS.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 17:36   #12923
Senior - BHPian

I can confirm it doesn't work with 7 Plus
Quote:
Owners of the 6S/7 who have upgraded to iOS 14 please confirm/deny. It would be good to know and these owners won’t go crazy as to why Back Tap is not working on their phone
Old 17th September 2020, 22:08   #12924
BHPian

It's quite surprising on Apple's side of giving the option that doesn't work. If it doesn't work then why give it! Might be a bug?
Old 17th September 2020, 22:18   #12925
Senior - BHPian

Another great feature in iOS 14, this time with the “Photos” (gallery).

In iOS 13.7 (last update with iOS 13) there was an option to hide photos which appeared as as a “Hidden” folder in My Albums at the bottom in “Utilities”, after “Media Types”.

Now with iOS 14 you can hide the “Hidden” folder completely. To the casual person who may have your phone, your private media remains secure.

Go to:
Settings
Scroll down to Photos
Inside Photos scroll down to “Hidden Photos” and deselect the button (switch off) this option.
The Hidden album will no longer show in your Photo gallery.

To see your hidden content simply go back and select or switch on “Hidden Album” and it will appear again as normal in your gallery as “Hidden”.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 17th September 2020 at 22:23.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 01:47   #12926
BHPian

Any recommendation for charging cable as the original is now about to fail after almost 2 years. I checked out the 'AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Charge and Sync Extra Tough Cable, 3 Feet (0.9 Meters)' available for Rs.799. Are these good?

I am also looking for a cable to be used in car and I prefer placing the phone near the handbrake area. So looking for something that has the right kind of length.
Old 18th September 2020, 02:19   #12927
Senior - BHPian

If you also have airpods pro, you can almost get vulcan hearing. Under accessibility and airpods, you can actually customise the transparency mode aka amplify it. Set it full and you can hear yourself breathe!

Another great Airpods Pro feature is the Spatial Sound. When turned on, it looks like the sound is coming from iPhone even if you turn your face away from it. Its spooky and magic and the same time. Really happy with the upgrades so far.
Old 18th September 2020, 08:45   #12928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Owners of the 6S/7 who have upgraded to iOS 14 please confirm/deny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It's quite surprising on Apple's side of giving the option that doesn't work. If it doesn't work then why give it! Might be a bug?
Yep, it doesn't work on my dad's 6s. But then, that feature itself isn't visible on that phone so not sure why you're blaming Apple.

It does work on my 11 though and even over the Spigen cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
I checked out the 'AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning to USB Charge and Sync Extra Tough Cable, 3 Feet (0.9 Meters)' available for Rs.799. Are these good?
I have been using these; both braided and non-braided for quite a few years now; I've kept these as spare in the car or primary use after OEM was split. Highly recommend.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:03   #12929
BHPian

Apple's online store going live in India on September 23.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...-september-23/
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 09:07   #12930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Any recommendation for charging cable as the original is now about to fail after almost 2 years..
I never use the charging cable provided by Apple due to its horrid quality. I always purchase BoAT cables on Amazon for the same. I have a 1.2m cable & 2m cable at home and another 2m cable in the vehicle. 2m is long enough for the phone to be on the windshield mount & charging at the same time. They are metal braided, strong & have never given me any trouble. Have also convinced my brother to replace his android charging cables with BoAT cables. Do consider them while finding a replacement.

OT, an iPhone X that I also use is having battery issues. It keeps showing 1% while charging but after I erase all settings, the charging gets to 100%. Has happened twice so far. Is my battery kaput?

Last edited by Ithaca : 18th September 2020 at 09:10.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed