Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 22:19   #13126
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Not quite. My iPhone X has OLED display. I dont know why Apple is tom-tomming this feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
The biggest difference in the iPhone 11 and 12 is the display. For the first time its coming with an OLED display (apple calls Super Retina XDR display) but its and OLED panel
Old 21st October 2020, 22:43   #13127
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest difference in the iPhone 11 and 12 is the display. For the first time its coming with an OLED display (apple calls Super Retina XDR display) but its and OLED panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Not quite. My iPhone X has OLED display. I dont know why Apple is tom-tomming this feature
Prior to the iPhone 12, only the Pro models (the iPhone X debuted on its own and can be thought of as a Pro model) got an OLED screen whereas the regular models got an LCD screen, albeit a very good one at that! So, the XR and the 11 have LCD screens whereas the X, XS, XS Max, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max have OLED screens. With the iPhone 12, all the variants across the board, from the Mini to the Pro Max get OLED screens.

The above is true for the Face ID-era phones. None of the Touch ID-era phones, including the latest iPhone SE (2nd generation) have ever had an OLED screen.
Anjadekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 22:47   #13128
BHPian

Quote:
Not quite. My iPhone X has OLED display. I don't know why Apple is tom-tomming this feature
iPhone X had Super Retina OLED display, but XR and 11 didn't have it. In the case of 11 series, 11 pro & 11 pro max had OLED display.

From 11 series onwards they went one step further and brought Super Retina XDR OLED displays for the pro and pro max variants.

That's why they are saying/highlighting that the entire 12 series including 12 mini has Super Retina XDR OLED displays.

Last edited by Vasuki : 21st October 2020 at 22:55.
Old 22nd October 2020, 00:42   #13129
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
For the spots, make sure you check the battery is not bulging. I started abruptly seeing spots and thought the screen is going bad but one day I removed the case and found that the screen glass was elevated and battery was bulging. Immediately got battery changed locally and spots were gone.
Those spots/patches are there since a year now. I had put a new battery 4 months back from the authorized service centre. At that time they quoted 11k for a new display & 2k as service charge. I guess it isn't a bulge issue then.
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:23   #13130
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
Prior to the iPhone 12, only the Pro models (the iPhone X debuted on its own and can be thought of as a Pro model) got an OLED screen whereas the regular models got an LCD screen, albeit a very good one at that! So, the XR and the 11 have LCD screens whereas the X, XS, XS Max, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max have OLED screens. With the iPhone 12, all the variants across the board, from the Mini to the Pro Max get OLED screens.

The above is true for the Face ID-era phones. None of the Touch ID-era phones, including the latest iPhone SE (2nd generation) have ever had an OLED screen.

My mistake, I did not do my research.

However, I have compared Apple's Retina LCD and an OLED screen side by side, even tho the retina is better than most of the other LCDs, its no match for the OLED screen.
For the price that I pay for the iPhone, I can easily get a better android device with much better configuration.

I know apple users say that its the performance at even lower configurations is much better, I agree. But, at a lower cost if I am getting a phone which gives me same performance even if its using much higher hardware configuration, then why shouldn't one go for it. Of course, until one wants it only for snob value.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:45   #13131
Team-BHP Support

A lot of things relating to display or performance is a sham. I downgraded from an X to 20-SE and could not be more happier. Smaller size, Touch ID instead of Face (masks) and the overall ease of carrying/ using the phone.

I can't even think about moving to the bigger phone in near future. Maybe Apple also does realize the potential of such customers and have launched the mini for this reason.

Mag-safe is something that excite me specifically from the Car travel purpose. I don't like Car-play and instead keep my phone for navigation and such new devises will be very useful.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...12-accessories

Quote:
at a lower cost if I am getting a phone which gives me same performance even if its using much higher hardware configuration, then why shouldn't one go for it. Of course, until one wants it only for snob value
There will be millions of discussions on this with no concrete answer but telling others to buy an Apple only due to snob value is not correct. Let me give you my own example. I have Two numbers and for almost over a decade, I always have an Iphone and one of the latest Android. Usually, the new launches of Samsung from S series. In all these years, I have tried to switch over from my Iphone which is my primary phone to Android which is more for social use but could not succeed. For some reasons, Android does not work for my daily work. At the same time, most of my colleagues feel at home with Android. So, it's all down to your personal comfort more than anything else. I don't think, any one bothers to look at others phone these days.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd October 2020 at 02:53.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:05   #13132
BHPian

Came across this video on a fake/clone Iphone 11 apparently delivered by Amazon's official retailer, Appario retail during the current sale. Can't rule out the foul play by the buyer in this case but one can't be ever careful enough while buying such high value items, even if it is from Apple India themselves. For the ones expecting to receive their devices soon, do shoot the unboxing video just for safety.

camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:17   #13133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Can't rule out the foul play by the buyer
Wonder how he knew that it was a clone before even opening the Amazon package since he started ranting and then opened it. Easily a case of jeopardizing Amazon's sale considering people are buying iPhones like crazy.

Some pictures of the iPhone SE 2020 which got delivered on Saturday for my mother. Just love the form factor and the snappy performance.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-12.11.03-pm.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-12.11.04-pm-1.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-12.11.04-pm.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-12.11.05-pm.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20201021-12.11.06-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Pancham : 22nd October 2020 at 09:34.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:24   #13134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Wonder how he knew that it was a clone before even opening the Amazon package since he started ranting and then opened it.
I believe the voice over / rant was embedded later on an originally shot video. Lot of vloggers, especially motovloggers are known to do this when they have story telling to do on top of an original video.

Anyways, congratulations on the SE. Smashing VFM purchase
camitesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 11:35   #13135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
So, it's all down to your personal comfort more than anything else. I don't think, any one bothers to look at others phone these days.
Echoing my sentiments here. With the democratisation of mobile devices of all types across the spectrum, is there really a ‘snob’ value attached to any of them?

I have been an exclusive Apple user since 2014 when I first switched from Android/Microsoft OS. Today I don’t think of any other platform because it’s my personal preference and it suits my needs - not because I need any snobbishness. To cite an example, I find the OLED’s from Samsung or OnePlus loud and oversaturated - the one on my XS is much closer to the tones and colours in nature. My preference is this way, while someone else may prefer the Samsung or OnePlus. Simple, isn’t it?
Pequod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 12:22   #13136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Exchanged her 4yr old iPhone 6s 16gb & got 11.5k
I pity the attendant in the shop, when he realises the mistake he has done. Or maybe he has a customer ready to transplant the internals of the phone at a higher price.
I could barely manage 12500 for a 128GB iP7, when my expectation was of 14000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
For the benefit of everyone, please do post the details here of the person. Thanks.
A brief disclaimer before I put his name here.
1) I am not related to this person. I got his reference through a closed Facebook Group serving our locality.
2) I have changed my wife's iP8 plus battery with no side effects, even after 3 months. Battery health started showing 100% on the phone, along with iMazing also confirming appropriate charge cycles.
3) His main line of business is upgrading Mac's and providing 'implants' to clients on Mac platform. Thus, his facility is located inside the National Storage Building on Tulsipipe road, Mahim. He handles iPhones along with the computing repairs.

Himanshu Arekar: 9 0 0 4 8 2 7 0 8 0
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:25   #13137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post

One more query, we do not have any other device from apple eco system in our household but only Windows laptops. Would that be a problem in terms of transferring files between iPhone and laptop (backup)?
Not a problem. iTunes for windows is available and you can use it just as easily as on a Mac to transfer files and back up your iPhone.

When I come across the term Apple ecosystem, I generally think of the convenience associated with the uniformity of icons across iDevices, their overall usage, data syncing across the Apple software like contacts, notes, etc mainly facilitated through the iCloud. Yes, contacts and notes are easier to carry over to another device operating in the ecosystem but if you are talking about pictures, videos, then you can transfer them over windows iTunes as well.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:38   #13138
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this video on a fake/clone Iphone 11 apparently delivered by Amazon's official retailer, Appario retail during the current sale.
The “buyer” in this video doesn’t inspire any confidence at all. I wouldn’t trust him with a used toothbrush!

Quote:
Can't rule out the foul play by the buyer in this case but one can't be ever careful enough while buying such high value items, even if it is from Apple India themselves. For the ones expecting to receive their devices soon, do shoot the unboxing video just for safety.
I find this sentiment (which seems to be quite widespread) that everyone is out to cheat you and one has to always look over one’s shoulder, to be quite amusing. Of course there are bad actors out there but a combination of common sense and necessary precautions online (such as buying from reputed sellers on a trustworthy platform) is more than enough to protect you. Quality businesses exist and it is not in their interest to pull a fast one on customers. It would be beyond idiotic for Amazon or Apple, especially given their size, to do so. This is not to say that all big businesses are customer friendly and, let’s say… Reliable (), but that the good ones are amoral and have their own self-interest at heart. Good businesses exist and self-interest necessitates them to offer quality and value, build trust, and treat their customers well.

It is because of buyers like the guy in the video, and the overall lack of trust on both sides, that we do not have policies like no questions asked 14-day returns etc, which are a norm abroad.
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:57   #13139
BHPian

I'm just gonna leave it there

Old 22nd October 2020, 14:23   #13140
BHPian

Quote:
I know apple users say that its the performance at even lower configurations is much better, I agree. But, at a lower cost if I am getting a phone which gives me same performance even if its using much higher hardware configuration, then why shouldn't one go for it. Of course, until one wants it only for snob value.
Couldn't agree more with @Pequod's comments in response to this. To add to everything he has said, many users prefer the craftsmanship, refinement and quality of Apple's products and so are willing to pay a premium for it. This is true of both the hardware and software and, crucially, the seamless experience made possible by the fact that they are both made by the same company. It has nothing to do with "snob value" of flashiness, which, in fact, I would gladly pay a premium to avoid.

Again, someone else may prefer the greater customisation, options and lower price points that Android phones provide or the design language of a Samsung or a OnePlus. It all comes down to personal preference and there is nothing inherently right or wrong about any choice.

Most Viewed