Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2020, 14:44   #13246
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Forgot to mention that all new purchases get a year's subscription of Apple TV + free. The same can be seen in settings, just under your iCloud ID.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:17   #13247
Senior - BHPian

How are the new Apple leather cases for iPhone 12 Pro. My bro picked up the phone in the US (Silver), should be with me on Friday. Now, looking at a good case to contrast that (almost white) colour. Looking for Apple cases, since they have that Mag-Safe ring. Any leads are welcome
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Luckily found a few options which are super skinny (almost as good as no case). These are not cheap, but is holding up well for the last 6 months
Attached Images

Old 11th November 2020, 16:46   #13248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
How are the new Apple leather cases for iPhone 12 Pro.
Postpone that buy! Reading reports that one corner keeps on popping in and out and the top lip around the phone isn't sufficient enough. Same with Silicon.
Try the options on Amazon and be ready with the case and protectors( if you use them) before your brother's arrival.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...issue.2266703/
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 17:51   #13249
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Where did you read that? You saved me a bother
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Postpone that buy! Reading reports that one corner keeps on popping in and out and the top lip around the phone isn't sufficient enough. Same with Silicon. Try the options on Amazon and be ready with the case and protectors( if you use them) before your brother's arrival
Old 11th November 2020, 19:15   #13250
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you read that?
My post above yours, has the link at the end of my post.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 19:34   #13251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I am planning to sell off my DSLR and lenses. Have got no time for it now nor do I want to lug it around. A good smartphone cam serves most of the clicking. So the 11 is in contention.
The 9 y.o. DSLR is almost sold. A friend-colleague will pick it up this weekend. Just the wide angle lens remains. I'll sell that shortly.

I'm leaning towards the iPhone 11 64GB purple or green. Strangely, Amazon doesn't have these shades in the 128 GB variant. Just the black or red. Since I have the ICICI Amazon credit card, I'll most likely use Amazon to make the purchase. Apple Store's price is higher.

Just a few queries.

1. I saw some OTG adapters on Amazon. Do they help in transferring photos to a pen drive from the phone?

2. I'm guessing for music, apple music is the only way to load music into the device?

3. Can I use the existing android fast charger for the iPhone with the lightning cable?

4. I hear transferring WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is a pain. Can someone who's been through this ordeal recommend an app which helps?

I had an iPhone 3G back in 2009 which was jailbroken and used for almost 2 years. I'm just scared of dropping the device! Have dropped my current android phone (Mi A2) at least a dozen times but fortunately it survived the fall without damages. The phone's enclosed within the bundled cover but without the tempered glass.

Anything else I need to be wary of as a new user switching to the iPhone? Battery wear I'm aware of.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th November 2020 at 19:42.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:15   #13252
BHPian

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the iPhone 11 64GB purple or green. Strangely, Amazon doesn't have these shades in the 128 GB variant. Just the black or red. Since I have the ICICI Amazon credit card, I'll most likely use Amazon to make the purchase. Apple Store's price is higher.

Just a few queries.

1. I saw some OTG adapters on Amazon. Do they help in transferring photos to a pen drive from the phone?

2. I'm guessing for music, apple music is the only way to load music into the device?

3. Can I use the existing android fast charger for the iPhone with the lightning cable?
I would suggest you to opt for that 128GB variants. Trust me, a 64GB is equivalent 32GB in today's times.
Any iPhone in today's day and age should sport a minimum of 128GB. This also ensures that you are more future proof, assuming you will retain the phone for a minimum of 3 years.

1. As far as I know, there is no OTG support for the iPhone, at least a direct transfer to a pen drive.

2. You can load the music via iTunes. Need not be only Apple music. Any downloaded music can be transferred from your PC via iTunes. No direct copy-paste like an Android though.

3. Yes, any charger having a USB-C port. But wouldn't recommended that for a new iPhone at least. There is a possibility of hurting the battery. Would suggest investing in that 20W Apple fast charger.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th November 2020 at 21:33. Reason: typos
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 12:48   #13253
BHPian

Quote:

4. I hear transferring WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is a pain. Can someone who's been through this ordeal recommend an app which helps?
If your Mi phone survived so many drops, an iPhone would survive far more. I have dropped mine just too many times to remember. These things are hardy. But invest in a proper cover.
You can transfer your photos easily from iCloud - even from the web iCloud. There is a free app I regularly use - Wifi Photo Transfer. I can't find the exact link now. I think it was one of the apps listed here: https://rb.gy/a6pkxh
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 14:34   #13254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are the new Apple leather cases for iPhone 12 Pro. My bro picked up the phone in the US (Silver), should be with me on Friday. Now, looking at a good case to contrast that (almost white) colour. Looking for Apple cases, since they have that Mag-Safe ring. Any leads are welcome
Never used the Apple leather cases, but I think many of the 3rd party ones already will be MagSafe compatible.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 16:23   #13255
Senior - BHPian

The silicone ones are good, I'm told. Hence Blue, it is! His flight was canceled, so the phone arrives only by Sunday. Ordered for Spigen screen protector. Will need to buy a 20 Watt charger from Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Never used the Apple leather cases, but I think many of the 3rd party ones already will be MagSafe compatible.

Last edited by Sebring : 12th November 2020 at 16:24.
Old 12th November 2020, 18:11   #13256
BHPian

Quote:
His flight was canceled, so the phone arrives only by Sunday. Ordered for Spigen screen protector. Will need to buy a 20 Watt charger from Apple
Since your brother is coming from the US you have other, better options when it comes to chargers. See these articles (WSJ, Daring Fireball) and check out Anker and Aukey’s GaN chargers.

Also, I wouldn’t get a screen protector if I were you. I like the buttery smoothness of the finger-screen interaction and wouldn’t want anything to come in the way. In over a decade of using iPhones, and dropping them every now and then, I haven’t needed a screen protector. With the Ceramic Shield on the iPhone 12 series there is a stronger case for not having one.

Last edited by Anjadekar : 12th November 2020 at 18:26.
Anjadekar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 18:35   #13257
Distinguished - BHPian

Until recently I was still running two iPhone 6s, one regular one 6s+. The first one stopped working some time ag. Now the 6S+ is really coming to its end as well. The battery although showing 83% is essentially done for. I won’t get through the day without charging it. And as it is autumn with temperatures dropping when I go outside the carge drops even faster.

I bought this 6S+ at least 5-6 years ago in Delhi. The battery was actually changed free of charge some 2-3 years ago back in the Netherlands.

We have a Bring Your Own Device policy at work. Which gives me two advantages. As it is my employer buying the phone, VAT is not applicable (which is a staggering 21%), I pay an own contribution of Euro 240. Which all of a sudden makes a new iPhone an attractive proposition. Just ordered the iPhone 12 Pro, 128 Gb, Pacific Blue. Which will go nicely with my new iPad Air recently ordered!

In all honesty, for me the most important part of any phone is how long the battery last. Next the size and this one is about as large as I am comfortable with. I had a look at the fancy photo capabilities. Looks interesting, but I am not sure (yet) how much I will be using it other than regular iPhone snaps.

Now all I have to do is wait for it to be ordered from our supplier and delivered.

Jeroen
Old 12th November 2020, 18:54   #13258
BHPian

Quote:
iPhone does not support OTG but you will find many pen drives with inbuilt lightning port which directly connects to iPhone and you can copy paste content (limited) from phone to that pen drive. Here is one example.

Quote:
Depends on whether you want to download music from paid services or have your own collection you want to copy to iPhone? If the former, then anything like Jio Saavn, Spotify, Gaana etc, in any of those you can download music.
If it is your own music in laptop etc, use iTunes to copy music and it will appear in the stock music app.

Quote:
I think that should be fine.

Quote:
Never done it but recently my dad wanted to transfer whatsapp messages from iPhone to Android and weren't able to do. You may see paid softwares if you try to google but don't fall of those and many can be scams. May be check if any reliable youtube is there which explains and may be gives info about it.

Quote:
I had an iPhone 3G back in 2009 which was jailbroken and used for almost 2 years. I'm just scared of dropping the device! Have dropped my current android phone (Mi A2) at least a dozen times but fortunately it survived the fall without damages. The phone's enclosed within the bundled cover but without the tempered glass.

Anything else I need to be wary of as a new user switching to the iPhone? Battery wear I'm aware of.
I strongly recommend tempered glass secreen protector and case from reputed brand like spigen, something which covers everything of the phone. I am using 6S since 5 years and still appears in great condition.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 20:46   #13259
Distinguished - BHPian

For whatsapp, can't you just backup data on cloud and then restore in new device?
Old 12th November 2020, 22:11   #13260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
For whatsapp, can't you just backup data on cloud and then restore in new device?
Does not work cross-platform.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks