Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 22:06   #13276
Senior - BHPian

Was just seeing the dimensions of the new iPhones, and when compared to say the iPhone XR which i think is a great size, the 12 feels narrower and shorter, inspite of the screen size being the same.

I have used all iPhones from the 4S right to the XR now, and I have always felt very comfortable with the size of the XR. Its not too narrow and has the right width. And not too big like the earlier plus series and neither the new Max series. If I were to upgrade, I cannot buy the Max series ever, for its cost and size of course.
Old 13th November 2020, 23:29   #13277
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Got the cover yesterday and phone should be on way too.

Transparent looks nice and does carry - Designed by Apple.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-a09b07c9157b474c9aef2ae9f795d0cd.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-8f4409c547fb49c9847df4bdca93a847.jpeg  

Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:08   #13278
BHPian

Guys,which cable is best for charging the iPhone or iPad along with my AirPods?

Asking because my original apple cable has given up today and finding difficulties for charging my iPhone XS,mom's X,my AirPods 2nd gen and iPad mini.
Old 15th November 2020, 19:51   #13279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
So finally taking inspiration from @audioholic I ordered a replacement battery from The Black Store on Amazon
Observations:
1. Battery seems to hold charge better. 100% to 0% took almost 8 hours. Far cry from the 2 days life that I had when the phone was new.
2. Heating still there, especially while charging
3. Restart took about 5 mins only
4.Battery health is at 98%
Almost 2 months of usage and the battery capacity is holding strong at 98%. However I have gone back to charging 3 times a day. Full charge at 0830 is almost dead by 1130 when I have to recharge. Full charge at 1630 os down to 30-40% by 1930. Then full charge at 2100 is down to 40-50% by 0000 when I go to bed.
Funnily I would say that I'm a very light user. I do get about 20-30 short calls everyday. And WhatsApp about a 100 times. I don't watch videos, not even forwards on WhatsApp, Facebook is checked twice a day. Twitter and LinkedIn twice a day. Mail checked once a day, very rarely replied on the phone. Really no change from the previous battery except that Peak performance is not disabled.
Old 15th November 2020, 20:16   #13280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Guys,which cable is best for charging the iPhone or iPad along with my AirPods?

Asking because my original apple cable has given up today and finding difficulties for charging my iPhone XS,mom's X,my AirPods 2nd gen and iPad mini.
I highly recommend Amazon Basics. I have tried multiple brands over 9 years with Apple and frankly AB just works. You can also look at Anker.
Elito11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 00:09   #13281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Almost 2 months of usage and the battery capacity is holding strong at 98%.
I replaced the battery of my iPhone 7 today at an authorised Apple SC for 3500/-.

My original battery health had degraded to 73% and my phone could barely make it through half a day with a few calls, WA, insta, minimal web surfing & mails check twice a day.

Anyway, given that the battery health had gone below 80% it was anyway due for replacement.

So post replacement, did a full 100% charge. Did a factory reset & restore from icloud backup. Took a good amount of time for the entire restore with phone heating up constantly in the process.
Battery % went from a 100% to 44% in this process.
Post this, plugged the phone to a wall charger & charged upto 90%.

Initial impressions: The charge drop rate has kinda slowed down & doesn’t drop as rapidly as before. However, I wouldn’t say it has got back to a 100% how it was when it was new.
It can also be that the new battery is calibrating with the usage pattern as that is generally what Apple suggests even when you do a major software update. Just my guess here.

My major gripe apart from the poor battery life was also the ‘throttled’ performance of the phone with random shutdowns, excessive heating, poor ram management & stuff. I will have to wait for a few days & see if that has improved. I really hope it does.

I was getting a decent deal of 1800/- on supposedly ‘original IP7’ from a regular shop, but I instead chose to spend that extra buck & went for the original @ 3500/-.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 07:41   #13282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I replaced the battery of my iPhone 7 today at an authorised Apple SC for 3500/-.
I’m guessing there’s an official warranty for the battery too? At least 6 months?

Does anyone have an idea about the cost of display replacement for the iPhone 7 from the Apple store? A friend’s iPhone 7 display gave up which was replaced from a local shop. Called up the Apple store but they don’t give an estimate over the phone.
Old 17th November 2020, 08:10   #13283
Senior - BHPian

Faced a peculiar issue yesterday. The speaker(for taking calls) stopped working on my 6s. Tried restarting and other usual drills but nothing worked out. Post that updated to iOS 14.2(took a little longer than usual) and suddenly everything started working.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I’m guessing there’s an official warranty for the battery too? At least 6 months?

Does anyone have an idea about the cost of display replacement for the iPhone 7 from the Apple store? A friend’s iPhone 7 display gave up which was replaced from a local shop. Called up the Apple store but they don’t give an estimate over the phone.
Battery warranty is 6 months.

Display cost is absurd TBH. For 6s they informed me some 15k IIRC, should be same or more for 7. Not worth on a 4-5 year old fone if you ask me. Get it changed outside as the phone is anyways out of warranty. I got my wife’s iPhone 6 screen changed outside for 5k and its been working fine for 2 years now

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th November 2020 at 08:24.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:13   #13284
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Faced a peculiar issue yesterday. The speaker(for taking calls) stopped working on my 6s. Tried restarting and other usual drills but nothing worked out. Post that updated to iOS 14.2(took a little longer than usual) and suddenly everything started working.

Battery warranty is 6 months.
Well, this is weird. They told me that the replacement battery has a warranty of only 90 days!
How come there are two different warranty polices for the same part at an Authorised Apple SC’s?

The charge drop rate has surely come down as compared to my earlier battery, but it isn’t upto the mark as such.
The charge is still dropping continuously albeit at a slower rate. A SOT of say 15 mins with normal browsing of TBHP website on Safari browser drops the charge by 2-3%. Is this still normal for IP7 with a brand new battery?

On a side note, can anyone share their experience on how’s the 14.2 update holding up on their 6s / 7’s? I am currently on 13.1.2 & would like to update to 14.2 as a few apps call for an updated iOS to function properly.

My earlier experiences with a major iOS update aren’t very good, hence.
Old 17th November 2020, 11:08   #13285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, this is weird. They told me that the replacement battery has a warranty of only 90 days!
How come there are two different warranty polices for the same part at an Authorised Apple SC’s?
That’s actually correct. I rechecked and it’s indeed 90 days. My bad

Mine completed 2.5 months post replacement and battery health shows 100% for now.

Quote:
On a side note, can anyone share their experience on how’s the 14.2 update holding up on their 6s / 7’s? I am currently on 13.1.2 & would like to update to 14.2 as a few apps call for an updated iOS to function properly.
I just updated to latest 14.2 and don’t see any issues with usual apps that I use like WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube,instagram, google chrome & gpay/paytm. Infact as I mentioned in previous post sudden stoppage of phone speaker too got sorted post this update

Last edited by SoumenD : 17th November 2020 at 11:12.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 12:42   #13286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
That’s actually correct. I rechecked and it’s indeed 90 days. My bad
Oops! After reading your comment on the 6 months battery warranty, I called up my service person and grilled him for a good 10-15 mins. Poor guy, feel sad for him now.

Quote:
Mine completed 2.5 months post replacement and battery health shows 100% for now.
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post. By battery % I meant, the charge (not the HEALTH) that the new battery is holding up. The charge drop rate hasn't improved significantly is what my concern is. Though it is definitely better than my earlier battery; but continued usage of phone for a simple web browsing or even WA for about 15-20 mins drops the charge % by 5-6% or so. Is that normal for a new battery?
My IP7 is nearly 3.5 years old and yes, I don't expect it to perform as good as new, but I definitely expected a good battery performance post the replacement. Am I missing something here?

Apart from this, I am yet to see how the RAM management has gotten post this replacement. However, the phone heating issue hasn't gone completely, but definitely reduced is what I feel.

By the way, how is your 6S holding up with the new battery, with your kinda usage?

Quote:
I just updated to latest 14.2 and don’t see any issues with usual apps that I use like WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube,instagram, google chrome & gpay/paytm. Infact as I mentioned in previous post sudden stoppage of phone speaker too got sorted post this update
Great! I think I shall go ahead and update my IP7 too. Hope iOS upgrade won't disappoint me this time atleast.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 17th November 2020 at 12:57.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:11   #13287
BHPian

Quote:

Anything else I need to be wary of as a new user switching to the iPhone? Battery wear I'm aware of.
The original iPhone charging wire wears out incredibly fast. This issue is true for iphone and for older Macs/MBP as well. Not sure about the current generation of Macs as I stopped using them a few years ago.

Amazon Basics has a great 6 ft cable that work beautifully. Highly recommend as a replacement cable.

I have owned the iPhone3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 6, 6S, and now on 7 which I have nursed along. Its going to be my last iPhone.

There are significant advantages to iOS ecosystem but no longer in the hardaware arena. Lower end Huawei and Mi's offer great functionality and given the risk of breakage etc, lesser cost of ownership in the long run.
Spaced Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:46   #13288
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was quoted 11k for a new display & 2k as service charge for my 6s a few months back by Authorized Service Centre.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:00   #13289
BHPian

Quote:
I paid about INR 13K for replacing the display of my 6s plus which had cracked due to an accident. And in the act of replacing the screen the data was lost and the rear camera became faulty too (works sometimes; doesn't at others).
catchjyoti is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:21   #13290
BHPian

Any iOS 14.2 users facing the below issue. The iPhone 12 is primarily affected by this issue; however, it looks more to be an iOS 14.2 software issue.

https://www.republicworld.com/techno...-detected.html

Most Viewed