Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 00:43   #13291
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I finally got to try the 12 Pro Max in order to check whether the OLED screen would bother me with PWM as the 11 Pro Max did last year. Someone I know who runs an iPhone store delivered the demo piece to me last night when his shop closed and took it from me this morning. Very good hands on time with the phone in the Midnight Blue colour which I found dull, washed out and uninteresting in comparison to the Midnight Green of last year.

I could not use the phone for more than 40-45 minutes at a time. Eyes started burning by then, a bit of watering too. Tried it a couple more times at night but no avail or change. So PWM has decided no iPhone 12 for me. Chapter closed.

The 12 Pro Max brightness level is off the charts, amazing brightness and the white in Safari is insane. Did not check the camera performance as I was purely looking at it from the perspective of my PWM tolerance.

Back to my iPhone 11 from this morning and all is well with the world

Cheers
Old 18th November 2020, 06:39   #13292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
4. I hear transferring WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS is a pain. Can someone who's been through this ordeal recommend an app which helps?
If you have a Mac, you can give this a shot - https://github.com/residentsummer/watoi

Don't have any personal experience though.
Old 18th November 2020, 08:36   #13293
Senior - BHPian

Oh so that explains it. My messages were not getting delivered (12 Pro model). Now, it's fine. Regarding the new colour Pacific Blue, I thought it could be a lot brighter. Silver looks elegant and is perfect for me (Sorry about the dirty hands. Was gardening )
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Any iOS 14.2 users facing the below issue.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-a72a825a8d3c42e5b34570011643b516.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 18th November 2020 at 08:43.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 02:02   #13294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
He just confirmed that is not going to be possible. So I asked him to get iPhone Pro, 256GB. Hopefully they have stock
A query if you can help with. While checking online, the pro models are now showing not available for pick-up, and delivery after the first week of Dec (checked for stores around Chicago, same in Canada). Does this mean there won’t be any stock at all or someone can just walk-in and buy the models directly (they would have a few in store??) since launch is over now?

Came to know about a few travel plans of friends and relatives and feeling tempted but they all will be leaving by the end of this month!
Old 20th November 2020, 07:07   #13295
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, they are sold out unfortunately. I was lucky to land the last piece (After trying three stores). Stocks will be replenished in Dec, some time
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
While checking online, the pro models are now showing not available for pick-up, and delivery after the first week of Dec (checked for stores around Chicago, same in Canada). Does this mean there won’t be any stock at all or someone can just walk-in and buy the models directly (they would have a few in store??) since launch is over now?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 11:07   #13296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yeah, they are sold out unfortunately. I was lucky to land the last piece (After trying three stores)
Thanks!

So, you mean just walking into the stores looking for them without booking online?
quickfox11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 20:25   #13297
BHPian

Anyone here got any of the new iPhones from Dubai? Can you please mention the price they paid for the phone? Thanks.
Old 20th November 2020, 22:57   #13298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Got the cover yesterday and phone should be on way too.

Transparent looks nice and does carry - Designed by Apple.
Nice. How much was the cost for this cover from Apple store?

Also, it looks that you ordered the iPhone 12 Pro from the size of cover and not promax?

Btw, has the phone arrived?
Old 21st November 2020, 06:02   #13299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
the pro models are now showing not available for pick-up, or someone can just walk-in and buy the models directly
So, due to Covid conditions, you can No longer walk into an Apple store. Technically, one can but the chances are very slim. One needs to prebook an appointment and reach at the allotted slot. Same way, if you have to pick something, you can choose date and time and book. If it says, not available for pickup then it's not possible to get. However, this keeps on changing based on the shipments the local stores receive, you can keep on checking regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice. How much was the cost for this cover from Apple store?
For the Pro it costed me CAD 69 + 5 % GST

Quote:
it looks that you ordered the iPhone 12 Pro from the size of cover and not promax?
So the picture I earlier posted is for the max, my Son got it. I have the Pro and got exactly the same cover. Works well for me as I always like the transparent covers.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 03:16   #13300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I highly recommend Amazon Basics. I have tried multiple brands over 9 years with Apple and frankly AB just works. You can also look at Anker.
Both Amazon Basics lightning cables I bought (as a pair) always have had connection and pairing issues with my Mac.

They charge on AC adapter well but never with Mac, they keep connecting and disconnecting making the annoying chime every 5 seconds.

Also, it doesn't even maintain stable connection to hit the Trust button in the popup which comes up when paired with Mac, never face this issue with the Apple cable.

Not sure if it was a poor batch or something but since then have been skeptical of buying Amazon Basics lightning cables.
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:44   #13301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
Both Amazon Basics lightning cables I bought (as a pair) always have had connection and pairing issues with my Mac...

Not sure if it was a poor batch or something but since then have been skeptical of buying Amazon Basics lightning cables.
This is a bug in macOS and has nothing to do with the cable. Here is an earlier post on the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
My 2015 iPhone SE behaves funnily sometimes.
I use an amazon Basics lightening cable or 2 original Apple cables to charge my phone. Charging is of no issues. In the evenings in my clinic, the phone is connected to my 2015 MacBook Air to charge and sync photos.
Sometimes randomly the phone refuses to connect, it keeps connecting and disconnecting 3-4 times a second with pinging tones. This happens for a while (sometimes 20 mins) and then stops with a stable connection.
I've cleaned the connectors, sockets, tried different cables, tried both USB ports, but the problem has to go away by itself. Nothing seems to work.
And this is very random - works ok for months continuously, then appears for a day or 2 or sometimes more and then disappears spontaneously...
And here is my response to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
This is a widely experienced issue and something I have seen sporadically with my MacBook Pro and iDevices too. A quick search netted a couple of fixes (here and here). Hope it works out!

As a result of this issue I stopped using the Mac to charge my iDevices, which I used to do quite often earlier. Also, ever since iCloud Backups have come along I have had less of a reason to connect them.
Old 23rd November 2020, 12:17   #13302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
they keep connecting and disconnecting making the annoying chime every 5 seconds.
Yes I had this problem and found this command on Terminal to work - 'sudo killall -STOP -c usbd'.
Old 23rd November 2020, 13:05   #13303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjadekar View Post
This is a bug in macOS and has nothing to do with the cable. Here is an earlier post on the issue.

And here is my response to it.
Yes, I have tried those terminal commands and solutions. I didn’t or still don’t have issues with Apple cables though.
Old 24th November 2020, 10:20   #13304
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Recently bought an iPhone 12 mini. Does THIS include case & Magsafe wireless charger ? Doubt people would pay INR 4900 for just plastic.

Also, will the charger's end go into our everyday USB-c Android wall/plug unit provided it is >20w ?

Last edited by vinu_h : 24th November 2020 at 10:27.
Old 24th November 2020, 23:39   #13305
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, my iPhone 12 promax arrived yesterday and initial thoughts are

It’s a big phone 😁
Feels much zippier than my XSMax
Build quality of phone is classy and as expected
Pacific Blue looks like an amalgamation of a few colors as it looks blue, grey, bluish grey depending on the angle of view

Transition from my XSMax to 12 Promax was seamless and within 10 mins ( That’s what I love about Apple)

Yet to try it’s camera which I am looking forward to 👍
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-05b2d2d9410c4f39a52f1e57a8c682d2.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-1a737300f4c148a398680ef1e3f460ff.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-3ebeef100d704b8e810f5833f32c2bc0.jpeg  

mobike008 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed