Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2020, 00:23   #13366
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
This anker charger has a usb-c port so the cable which comes with iphone 11 will not work. For that you will need usb-c to lightening cable.
Why is that? I do have a lightning port - USB-C cable which came with the box. Can't I use the same with the below interface and charge it using a android phone charger?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th December 2020 at 11:23. Reason: Typo.
Old 11th December 2020, 10:15   #13367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Why is that? I do have a lightning port - USB-C cable which came with the box. Can't I use the same with the below interface and charge it using a android phone charger?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oh, since when iphone 11 comes with usb-c to lightning cable. May be the 2020 iphone 11 comes with that. My iphone 11 bought in October 2019 came with regular usb to lightening cable. So if you already have the required cable, please ignore my previous post about the cable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th December 2020 at 12:16. Reason: Typo.
Old 11th December 2020, 10:46   #13368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The battery health of my new iPhone 7 battery dropped to 99% in under one month of replacement!!

P. S.: I use a Xiaomi 18W charger to charge my iPhone 7 along with the standard 5W Apple charger.
At times I also plug it to the 10000mAh 15W Mi Powerbank.
Could this be the reason for the premature drop in the battery health %?
These fast chargers might be the reason, not sure though . My 6s battery was replaced on Oct 2nd,2020 and its still 100%. I use my old nokia’s(6.1plus) 5W charging adapter along with a locally acquired cable to recharge.
The iPhone Thread-d75d3d7f731d4d66ab3bbabbfa020010.jpeg

My usage is not too heavy wrt videos so it lasts me around 15-16 hours. I am on iOS14.2

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th December 2020 at 10:49.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 11:59   #13369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The new iPhone 12 Mini could have been a better option here considering your liking for compact phones. The battery though 2220 mAh packs enough juice to last a day with regular usage patterns.
Received the phone case before the phone and seeing the size gives me the creeps!

But it is too late now. The phone is on the way. I will have to get used to the size now.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 12:14   #13370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Oh, since when iphone 11 comes with usb-c to lightening cable. May be the 2020 iphone 11 comes with that. My iphone 11 bought in October 2019 came with regular usb to lightening cable. So if you already have the required cable, please ignore my previous post about the cable.
I think the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro max came with USB-C to Lightning cable, right from beginning.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 12:16   #13371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Received the phone case before the phone and seeing the size gives me the creeps!

But it is too late now. The phone is on the way. I will have to get used to the size now.
Congrats Ganesh! I’ve bought a 11, 128 GB too last month (lavender) and it’s been a great experience. I sold off my DSLR and the lenses since they were lying unused since a year now and the camera on this device is really something else! Effectively, I ended up paying 27k from my pocket.

The battery backup is great and I’ve been consciously charging it till 90-95% instead of leaving it for charging overnight like I was doing with previous Android device. I return home with some 65-70% charge whereas my previous device would show 45-50% with the same WhatsApp-YouTube-browser usage.

The size is just about right but may be bigger for SE users. I can use the device with the left hand while having a meal. The oleophobic coating on the display is great too. Usually after a call, I notice a lot of oily marks near the earpiece and rub the phone on the trousers. Surprisingly, I don’t see it on this device! Read up and noticed that it comes with a special coating. Eventually wears off especially if you clean it with some liquid. I just rub it with a soft microfibre cloth.

Many have recommended Spigen covers but I’ve stuck to a silicone based one with a felt lining inside. Transparent covers invariably turn yellowish after sometime so skipped that and got a lavender shade to match the phone. Plus no Apple logo at the back so no drishti issues.

The CarPlay integration is so nice. Displays album art too and Siri works well. No connectivity issues or sudden volume changes while pressing the talk button on the steering wheel like in Android Auto.

I just hope I don’t drop the device on the floor. That’s my worst nightmare! I’ve dropped my previous device at least a dozen times and it survived the drop gracefully without dents or scratches (and thus got a decent resale value through Cashify).

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th December 2020 at 12:24.
Gannu_1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:12   #13372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Congrats Ganesh! I’ve bought a 11, 128 GB too last month (lavender) and it’s been a great experience...

I just hope I don’t drop the device on the floor. That’s my worst nightmare! I’ve dropped my previous device at least a dozen times and it survived the drop gracefully without dents or scratches (and thus got a decent resale value through Cashify).
Thank you Ganesh And congratulations for your iPhone 11.

Except for the size, I am actually happy with all other features. I am especially looking forward to the camera in the 11, after using the crappy one in my SE for the past 2.5 years.

I think iPhone 11 is quite sturdy. I read some articles about the glass being the toughest of all iPhones yet. Came across this drop test video. Looks like the iPhone 11 can take some nasty falls without breaking.

graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 03:08   #13373
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how everyone else who got the iPhone 12 are experiencing battery life from their phones.

I'm totally elated with the overall battery experience on my iPhone 12 Promax - the battery is a beast on this phone.

Example 1 : I charged by phone to 100% at 5:30pm and was using the phone as usual (social media, calls, WhatsApp, YouTube, keep the phone screen on for an official reason) and it lasted until next day 11pm (a total of 29 hours) with 13% juice still left

Example 2 : It lasted me for a total of 26 hours with 7% juice left after a little more heavy usage of the phone. Literally almost everything same but, more of phone calls (these days phone calls don't happen as everyone talks to each other on Teams)

I'm actually taken aback with the battery prowess of iPhone 12 Promax and just hope this lucky streak continues at-least for a year (that is when the battery capacity starts losing it's sheen).

Compared to my XSMAS which I had to charge before my day ends, I feel like entering a blissful state .

Not to mention the mind-blowing photography capabilities of this phone. Here is a pic taken from a moving car at night (It came out crisp with literally no blur and also bright for the circumstances it was taken-Pretty dark road) .

The iPhone Thread-img_1601.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 12th December 2020 at 03:13. Reason: Image inserted in-line. Additional smileys deleted.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 18:51   #13374
BHPian

I am planning to purchase the iPhone 12 Pro from Dubai as a friend of mine is scheduled to come to India sometime in early Jan. The converted prices of the 12 Pro (128 GB) and 'vanilla' 12 (128 GB) are 85k and 73k respectively.

I will be getting the Dubai 12 Pro (128 GB) for nearly the price of Indian vanilla 12 (128GB), which is huge!!
Also, earlier I was inclined more towards the vanilla 12 128GB, but since the price difference in Dubai 12 Pro and 12 128 GB is hardly 8k INR, I might as well go with the 12 Pro.

The difference between Indian 12 Pro and Dubai 12 Pro is a stark 44k!!

I just had a couple of questions though and would really appreciate if you guys could answer them for me. I am sure, many must have brought iPhones from Dubai.

1. There are two versions available i.e. with and w/o Facetime. I believe the official Apple store only sells the one w/o FT. That means that I will have to purchase from 'open market' mobile stores and not official Apple?
2. Is it safe to purchase from open market and do they ensure to sell genuine iPhones?
3. What about the warranty? Is it honored in India?
4. How different are the Dubai iPhones as compared to the Indian version technically, viz. networks and stuff? are there really any differences as such?
5. Is there any issue in using the Indian SIM cards in Dubai iPhones or any such issues maybe in the long run?
6. Will the Indian 20W Apple Charger purchased locally will work on the Dubai iPhones here? Or will I have to purchase the charger from Dubai too?
7. Lastly, those using Dubai iPhones here, how has been it till date? As issues that you all faced in particular?

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 12th December 2020 at 18:52.
Old 12th December 2020, 19:47   #13375
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, for Facetime you need to buy from the Open Market. There are no fake iPhones in Dubai, since authorities are strict, so dont worry. Warranty is honoured in India, in fact my iPhoneX had a screen recall which India accepted. Dubai phones come with better battery, and quality since none of my phones ever suffered any breakdown or battery replacement. I'm talking every gen of iPhone I've purchased and retained 4S onwards. Replacement is 'no questions asked', so they maintain good standards. Even Samsung phones come with the better processor spec. Indian SIM cards run perfectly well. Chargers in Dubai come with UK pin, so better you buy in India. I have faced zero issues so far, so go right ahead! Good luck
Quote:
What about the warranty? Is it honored in India?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 20:56   #13376
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two versions available i.e. with and w/o Facetime. I believe the official Apple store only sells the one w/o FT. That means that I will have to purchase from 'open market' mobile stores and not official Apple? Is it safe to purchase from open market and do they ensure to sell genuine iPhones?
We bought iPhone 6s (2 of them) from Dubai back in 2016. The 16gb version of my sister was sold recently for 11.5k! Mine is still working but I've upgraded to the 11 recently. We bought the phones from Sharaf DG & CarreFour. Not sure if they're still around, they're departmental/electronics chain there. Both did not come with facetime. But recently after the iOS14 update, facetime magically appeared. Don't think there's anything to worry about.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:54   #13377
BHPian

From what I read and also heard is that UAE phones (sold in Apple store) are now Facetime ready/compatible.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 14:04   #13378
BHPian

Well, i was looking for a replacement for my Iphone 7 which has been with me for little over 4 years now. The Iphone SE was a disappointment for me as it did not offer fresh design and the fact that i keep my phones as long as possible, i wouldn't be able to digest the same thick bezel design. Was hoping that Iphone 12 Mini would be priced around 45 - 50K, post which i can exchange my aging Iphone with same, but the price was quite high.

My iphone does not hold charge for more than 4-5 hours of moderate usage as I have never changed battery on same since purchase - current battery performance is at 74%.

My few queries to fellow members -

1) does the microphone / speaker combo performance also suffer with poor battery? i am noticing extremely low volume in the speaker / microphone in last 1 year since battery dropped below 80%
2) I have an apple original cable for charging but i also use an Amazon basic cable with original iphone 5 W charger. However, a lot of times now, when i use the Amazon cable for charging, my iphone does not charge. i have to remove and put the cable multiple times for it to charge. Has this happened with other users too - i am on IOS 13
3) Is ios 14 stable? i already have a depleted battery in iphone 7 and not sure if upgrading to ios 14 will deplete its performance further?

Last edited by Turbo_anup : 14th December 2020 at 14:12. Reason: spell check
Old 14th December 2020, 15:27   #13379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
My iphone does not hold charge for more than 4-5 hours of moderate usage as I have never changed battery on same since purchase - current battery performance is at 74%.
If you plan to keep the phone for sometime, just get the battery replaced by apple. It is worth the money.

Quote:
1) does the microphone / speaker combo performance also suffer with poor battery? i am noticing extremely low volume in the speaker / microphone in last 1 year since battery dropped below 80%
2) I have an apple original cable for charging but i also use an Amazon basic cable with original iphone 5 W charger. However, a lot of times now, when i use the Amazon cable for charging, my iphone does not charge. i have to remove and put the cable multiple times for it to charge. Has this happened with other users too - i am on IOS 13
3) Is ios 14 stable? i already have a depleted battery in iphone 7 and not sure if upgrading to ios 14 will deplete its performance further?
1- Not sure but you can try cleaning the ear piece with a tooth brush and see.

2- Might be a cable issue, since it works fine with original cable.

3- 14 is pretty ok, and battery drain also is fine on iPhone 11, older phones others who are on similar device are best to check with.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:15   #13380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Well, i was looking for a replacement for my Iphone 7 which has been with me for little over 4 years now. The Iphone SE was a disappointment for me as it did not offer fresh design and the fact that i keep my phones as long as possible, i wouldn't be able to digest the same thick bezel design. Was hoping that Iphone 12 Mini would be priced around 45 - 50K, post which i can exchange my aging Iphone with same, but the price was quite high.

My few queries to fellow members -

Agree with the post above that getting a battery change is the way to go if you plan to keep it.

- Cables degrade over time. Connectors become weak due to friction etc. Coincidently AB lightening cables are at an all time low price today. Just ordered one for myself for 229!

- My own SE runs fine on iOS 14.
Elito11 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks