Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 16:29   #13381
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Thousands of Iphones stolen and losses worth Rs. 437 crore at Kolar Plant, India.

Quote:
Wistron, one of the contract manufacturers of iphones in India, has claimed in its complaint to police that Saturday's employee violence at its Kolar plant has caused the company Rs 437-crore losses. The losses are primarily due to the theft of thousands of iPhones (allegedly looted from the unit during violence), damage caused to the assembly line and the factory, the Times of India mentioned in a report.*

Condemning the two-hour violence, state labour minister Shivaram Hebbar told the publication that the losses caused to the company were ‘unacceptable’. “We are all for labour welfare, but taking the law into one’s hands cannot go unpunished,” he added.

According to the government, the dispute between Wistron and the contract labourers has been going on for the past three months.

According to the labour minister, Wistron had contracted six subsidiary companies to hire as many as 8,900 people for the Kolar manufacturing unit.
Source: https://www.timesnownews.com/busines...r-plant/694289
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 19:09   #13382
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Well, i was looking for a replacement for my Iphone 7 which has been with me for little over 4 years now. My iphone does not hold charge for more than 4-5 hours of moderate usage as I have never changed battery on same since purchase - current battery performance is at 74%.
First decide whether you want new iPhone or a new battery. If you have a healthy budget, makes no sense to spend around 3.5k on a new battery. You can try your luck by exchanging at the Apple store. Sold my sister's 2016 iPhone 6s 16gb for 11.5k recently, so perhaps you may get more.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 20:15   #13383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
These fast chargers might be the reason, not sure though . My 6s battery was replaced on Oct 2nd,2020 and its still 100%. I use my old nokia’s(6.1plus) 5W charging adapter along with a locally acquired cable to recharge.

My usage is not too heavy wrt videos so it lasts me around 15-16 hours. I am on iOS14.2
Well, 15-16 hrs. is a really good stand-by time for the 6s.

I have now moved to using the standard 5W charger ONLY to charge my IP 7. Also, I make sure to maintain the charge between 20 - 85%. Let's see if this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yeah, for Facetime you need to buy from the Open Market. There are no fake iPhones in Dubai, since authorities are strict, so dont worry. Warranty is honoured in India, in fact my iPhoneX had a screen recall which India accepted. Dubai phones come with better battery, and quality since none of my phones ever suffered any breakdown or battery replacement. I'm talking every gen of iPhone I've purchased and retained 4S onwards. Replacement is 'no questions asked', so they maintain good standards. Even Samsung phones come with the better processor spec. Indian SIM cards run perfectly well. Chargers in Dubai come with UK pin, so better you buy in India. I have faced zero issues so far, so go right ahead! Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
We bought iPhone 6s (2 of them) from Dubai back in 2016. The 16gb version of my sister was sold recently for 11.5k! Mine is still working but I've upgraded to the 11 recently. We bought the phones from Sharaf DG & CarreFour. Not sure if they're still around, they're departmental/electronics chain there. Both did not come with facetime. But recently after the iOS14 update, facetime magically appeared. Don't think there's anything to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
From what I read and also heard is that UAE phones (sold in Apple store) are now Facetime ready/compatible.
Thanks for your inputs guys!

Yes, I too read about this online as well as saw some of the YT videos, wherein the FaceTime is now available for all the new iPhones, even the 'official' Apple store one's. Infact, Apple has pushed this update to all the UAE iPhones post the iOS 13.6 update.

However, one cannot use the Facetime in UAE itself. It works if you change the region / country to anything other than UAE.

I also happened to check for the 'international' iPhones in the open markets (City Choice in Bur Dubai) for some better deal and surprisingly they are more expensive then the one's from the Apple store.

The 12 Pro for instance is 4450 AED in the open market, whereas in Apple store it costs 4199 AED. How's that possible, as I heard and read online too that iPhones are generally cheaper in the 'open markets'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_anup View Post
Well, i was looking for a replacement for my Iphone 7 which has been with me for little over 4 years now. The Iphone SE was a disappointment for me as it did not offer fresh design and the fact that i keep my phones as long as possible, i wouldn't be able to digest the same thick bezel design. Was hoping that Iphone 12 Mini would be priced around 45 - 50K, post which i can exchange my aging Iphone with same, but the price was quite high.

My iphone does not hold charge for more than 4-5 hours of moderate usage as I have never changed battery on same since purchase - current battery performance is at 74%.

My few queries to fellow members -

1) does the microphone / speaker combo performance also suffer with poor battery? i am noticing extremely low volume in the speaker / microphone in last 1 year since battery dropped below 80%
2) I have an apple original cable for charging but i also use an Amazon basic cable with original iphone 5 W charger. However, a lot of times now, when i use the Amazon cable for charging, my iphone does not charge. i have to remove and put the cable multiple times for it to charge. Has this happened with other users too - i am on IOS 13
3) Is ios 14 stable? i already have a depleted battery in iphone 7 and not sure if upgrading to ios 14 will deplete its performance further?
I replaced my IP 7 battery recently which was at 73 % health.

There isn't any 'significant' improvement in the battery performance per se; but definitely better than the degraded battery.
Though I wasn't quite happy with the performance of the new battery; I have quite accepted the fact that even though the battery is new, the other hardware components are still a good 3.5 years old and are kinda nearing their end-of-life. Also, the newer iOS 14 update won't be as well integrated with this old hardware as the iOS 10 that came originally.

I am looking to upgrade to the newer iPhone and would like to keep my IP 7 as a secondary phone, hence went ahead with the battery replacement.

On a brighter side, the 'throttling' has considerably gone down and the phone feels fluid now. Like I said, it won't go back to how it was originally; but thre is definitely an improvement nonetheless.

That intermittent charging cable thing happens with my original iPhone's charging cable; forget 3rd party cables.

PLEASE don't upgrade to iOS 14 with the existing depleted battery. It might worsen it further as there are ongoing issues of battery drain reported by many users who upgraded to iOS 14.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 14th December 2020 at 20:20.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 06:54   #13384
BHPian

Re: 'iPhone 11' case?

Are there any good 'iPhone 11' case available here in US, which is worth carrying back home?

I have another week for my travel, so please pour in your suggestions, ASAP.
Old 15th December 2020, 07:52   #13385
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any good 'iPhone 11' case available here in US, which is worth carrying back home?
Not sure what kind of case you prefer; some like the bulky protective ones were as people like me prefers to keep the form factor of the phone and get basic protection against scratches. For the latter, you can try this - https://mnmlcase.com/collections/iphone
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 00:46   #13386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Lots of different cases with different functionality. What exactly are you looking for. For example slim cases do not add bulk but give little protection. And then bulky ones like Spigen offer quite a bit of protection. Some come with inbuilt stands, and some with camera shutters
Old 17th December 2020, 03:26   #13387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I personally prefer to always use a clear transparent case so i can continue to enjoy the iphone design and it’s original color always. Never liked the multi color or covered cases as it hides the beauty of the iphone design

I would recommend this Spigen case that i use for my iPhone 12 Promax

The iPhone Thread-1f66bb5af6674db8b1acd92e4931b364.jpeg
Old 17th December 2020, 07:23   #13388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What exactly are you looking for.
Slim & Transparent case with fall protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I personally prefer to always use a clear transparent case so i can continue to enjoy the iphone design and it’s original color always.
+1. Completely concur. Could you please share the model# or any link?
Old 17th December 2020, 07:28   #13389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Slim & Transparent case with fall protection.

https://www.amazon.com/AEDILYS-Compa.../dp/B08J41GR3T

This is the pro max model and currently selling on 10% discount too.
Old 17th December 2020, 07:34   #13390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/AEDILYS-Compa.../dp/B08J41GR3T

This is the pro max model and currently selling on 10% discount too.
Thank You! I am looking for 'iPhone 11' case. Is there any physical difference between 2019 and 2020 models? I bought the device, this month.

https://www.amazon.com/AEDILYS-Compa...8170415&sr=8-3
Old 17th December 2020, 08:06   #13391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here you go :

Spigen Ultra Hybrid Designed for iPhone 12 Pro Max Case (2020) - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BG9CYFL...ing=UTF8&psc=1

You can search for similar case for 11

Btw, I am very happy with it too

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th December 2020 at 08:08.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 08:28   #13392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank You! I am looking for 'iPhone 11' case. Is there any physical difference between 2019 and 2020 models? I bought the device, this month.
The one I have is as shown in this post (The iPhone Thread). They have a clear case option as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 11:23   #13393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Liquid crystal is the specific name https://www.amazon.in/Spigen-Liquid-.../dp/B07SZHHK5L

I have been using this since last couple of years, offers very good protection without adding bulk or covering up OE look.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 11:42   #13394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I am planning to purchase the iPhone 12 Pro from Dubai as a friend of mine is scheduled to come to India sometime in early Jan. The converted prices of the 12 Pro (128 GB) and 'vanilla' 12 (128 GB) are 85k and 73k respectively.
Seems like the 12 Pro model is in huge demand in Dubai as there are online ‘reservations’ for this particular model that need to be done before you can go and pick up the phone from the store.

Furthermore, the phone gets sold out in seconds, especially the 128gb.

My friend is coming down in the last week of Dec. Not sure how will he manage to reserve one.

The online direct purchase option says a delivery time of 2-3 weeks! Damn!

Worse part, due to this high demand, the prices in the open markets are higher than the Apple store prices. A difference of 300-400 AED at times.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 17th December 2020 at 11:44.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2020, 23:50   #13395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Liquid crystal is the specific name https://www.amazon.in/Spigen-Liquid-.../dp/B07SZHHK5L

I have been using this since last couple of years, offers very good protection without adding bulk or covering up OE look.
The price is better compared to the same offered in amazon.com.

So, I shall buy the same back home. Thank You!

Most Viewed