Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2021, 23:02   #13456
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Some holiday fun, got a chance to put all the iPhones in the family together along with it's minions to take a picture (Ignore the picture quality as it was taken from old android phone)

The iPhone Thread-9775fc449cc941fc822b698981f4ef88_1_201_a.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-af4756e30c1546b6ace8929becfc33b0_1_201_a.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 06:05   #13457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Some holiday fun, got a chance to put all the iPhones in the family together along with it's minions to take a picture (Ignore the picture quality as it was taken from old android phone)

Attachment 2105501

Attachment 2105502

Are those cases from carved.com (2nd and the last one)? If yes, then can you please share your purchase experience (if imported to India) and how have they held up during usage.
Old 10th January 2021, 22:05   #13458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Are those cases from carved.com (2nd and the last one)? If yes, then can you please share your purchase experience (if imported to India) and how have they held up during usage.
You got a keen eye and yes, it's from carved.

Terribly expensive but, extremely good quality. I think girls love to have these fancy covers while I prefer a transparent one (Spigen on my iPhone 12 promax) to enjoy the actual beauty of the iPhone design

Btw, this is not in India but, USA !!
Old 12th January 2021, 11:04   #13459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
...I updated to iOS 14.3 this morning on reading some positive reviews on the net, but unfortunately my battery is draining faster than usual.
This update was supposed to be improving the ‘battery drain’ issue of the previous update. But looks like it has made it even worse.

I would recommend you to skip this one.
On your recommendation I had skipped updating to 14.3 but now i see this today

The iPhone Thread-d4295014cc1c41e7b7aa36d50411c5bd.jpeg

Can we somehow stop this from getting executed or is it automatically done?
Old 12th January 2021, 11:11   #13460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
On your recommendation I had skipped updating to 14.3 but now i see this today

Attachment 2106953

Can we somehow stop this from getting executed or is it automatically done?
Go to Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Automatic Updates -> Install iOS Updates. Set this to disabled, if enabled.

Now you are back in control of updates being installed. Similarly, turn ooff the 'Download iOS Updates' option if you do not want it auto downloaded when on Wifi.
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 23:03   #13461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_addict View Post
I second the recommendation. I just used it last month to move Whatsapp from Pixel 2 XL to iPhone 11 with no hassles. This combined with the Apple's "Move to iOS" & Google Photos had me switched to iOS in about 1/2 a day.
Did you get this done in any mobile service shop in B'lore? If so, could you please share me the contacts?
Old 15th January 2021, 06:54   #13462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I updated to iOS 14.3 this morning on reading some positive reviews on the net, but unfortunately my battery is draining faster than usual.
This update was supposed to be improving the ‘battery drain’ issue of the previous update. But looks like it has made it even worse.

I would recommend you to skip this one.
It's normal that the battery drains faster for a couple of days after a major update. I am on the iOS platform for the past decade or so and have noticed this with every single update. Most of the time, the battery usage gets back to normal within a day or two max. Talking about this particular update, I updated my iPhone 8 plus to 14.3 the day it came out and had a higher battery usage issue for the next day. It's completely back to normal now.

Talking about battery health, contrary to common thoughts, I am not with Apple on displaying this within the OS. It creates such paranoia in the minds of users that it simply kills the user experience, makes people worry more about battery health rather than using the device to its full potential. I still doubt if this battery health feature was allowed if Jobs was still there. The battery in the phone is a wear and tear component which needs to be replaced once every few years. Once we come to terms with this one reality, we will stop worrying about it. Just my thoughts
bhp_maniac is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 07:16   #13463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
It creates such paranoia in the minds of users that it simply kills the user experience, makes people worry more about battery health rather than using the device to its full potential.
This is so true. After going through this thread before I switched from Android to iOS, a lot of them had commented on the battery health, how it slowly drains, the elusive 100% figure, how long it lasted, battery replacements etc. Every alternate day I end up checking the battery health subconsciously.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 07:30   #13464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talking about battery health, contrary to common thoughts, I am not with Apple on displaying this within the OS.
This feature helps if you are selling your phone. Many folks use this as a measure or guide to inform the new buyer on the state of the battery. I'd not dig into it all that often unless you notice battery drain that is higher than usual.
Old 15th January 2021, 12:33   #13465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Did you get this done in any mobile service shop in B'lore? If so, could you please share me the contacts?
Did it myself. Bought the software(around 17USD), connected both the android and iphone to my Windows Laptop and followed the instructions.

https://drfone.wondershare.com/whats...o-android.html

All messages, photos and attachments from WhatsApp moved over without a hitch except for android having some issues with adb. If you are little bit tech savvy, you can pull it off yourself.

Just a note, I started with a new iPhone with only Whatsapp installed. I don't know how well it works if you already have other things running.
Old 15th January 2021, 12:54   #13466
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This is so true. After going through this thread before I switched from Android to iOS, a lot of them had commented on the battery health, how it slowly drains, the elusive 100% figure, how long it lasted, battery replacements etc. Every alternate day I end up checking the battery health subconsciously.
It's a rather amusing insight into human behavior.

We agonize over cellphone batteries everyday, while on our cars, we maintain them as long as they hold enough charge to meet their purpose, knowing full well they'll need to be changed eventually.

I haven't seen (m)any car owners agonize over battery health everyday.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 13:13   #13467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been on iPhone for so long, never had thought through the battery drain thing. It just works and I put it on charge mostly in the evening for an hour or so and that's about it
Old 15th January 2021, 13:26   #13468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I have been on iPhone for so long, never had thought through the battery drain thing. It just works and I put it on charge mostly in the evening for an hour or so and that's about it
Looking at your location (Singapore) made me remember. When I was in Singapore for 10 days for holiday, my iPhone SE battery used to last for 2-3 days before charging. This with extensive use - photos, WhatsApp, Video calls, maps, All the various sightseeing apps. However in India, with minimal usage, phone battery level is less than 20% by afternoon.
Something about Singapore keeps batteries lasting longer.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 14:08   #13469
Team-BHP Support

Better network coverage helps a great deal with battery savings. Maybe Singapore cell network is really optimised and provides strong coverage through out.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2021, 15:10   #13470
BHPian

Quote:
Talking about battery health, contrary to common thoughts, I am not with Apple on displaying this within the OS. It creates such paranoia in the minds of users that it simply kills the user experience, makes people worry more about battery health rather than using the device to its full potential.
Quote:
I fully agree to your point. This whole battery health thing is infact not doing any good.
I too keep checking my phone’s battery health almost every alternate day, post this battery replacement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Better network coverage helps a great deal with battery savings. Maybe Singapore cell network is really optimised and provides strong coverage through out.
True. Battery drain is at it’s peak when you are in an area of either poor or no network. A good network definitely helps in a having a better battery life.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 16th January 2021 at 15:15.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed