Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 23:51   #13531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
For my iPhone 11, I have been using the 5W charger that came with my previous SE. The battery health is still 100% after 3 months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I started using my iPhone 11 in November. I distinctly remember battery health was at 100% during Christmas. Its now down to 97%! Have been using the 20W fast charger since mid-November. Sister also has been using her 11 since slightly before that but she mostly uses her iPad charger which i believe is 12W. Her battery health is at 100%. I guess I'll go back to the 5W charger now & only use fast charger when extremely necessary.
Interesting observation. I didnt know about this and thanks for sharing

I'm using an iPhone 12 Promax from Nov 25, 2020 and until now thankfully my battery health is still 100%.

However, I moved to a 20W charger from Anker around Mid-December and amazed at how quickly it charges from 20% (I normally start charging again at this point) to 100% (I think it takes about an hour or less)

How do we explain this situation?
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 01:21   #13532
Senior - BHPian

Guys I think Apple has designed this “Battery Health” feature to drive us nuts . Please think back to a time when this feature was not there and just use the phone.

On a serious note, the battery is a consumable and will run out/run down after n number of recharge cycles or it’s capability. Don’t give it undue importance.

If Apple has designed a fast charger for a particular model, use it or don’t bother. When I bought my 11 in November 2019, I bought a fast charger separately because it helps me. My battery health right now is 92% which I checked only because I read these posts.

Take it easy

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 06:38   #13533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Just so that I have understood this correctly, this thing implies only to the phones that DO NOT support fast charging right? I mean, the phones that do support, for ex. the 12 Pro will be safe with drawing higher currents as I believe their circuitry will be designed for that.
This applies to phones that support quick charge as well. Remember, if a phone does not support quick charge, it will not draw a high charging current even when connected to a fast charger.

Usually batteries are charged with a current that is 1/x of its capacity. For example, if a battery is charged with C/5 where C is capacity, and if the battery is 2000mAH, then it means it is charged at 400mA of current and will take about 5 hours to full charge. This is a rough estimate. Actual time may be a little more due to the losses involved in the charging process. If the same battery is charged at C/1 rating, it will be charged at 2A and will take an hour to charge.

Note: The above is a very high level process. The actual process is a little different where high current is used till the battery is charged to a threshold, and later it is tapered off.

As the charging current increases, heat generation through losses inside the battery (both electrical and chemical) also increases and this could degrade the battery faster.

Every phone will have a program that decides how much current to draw from the charger when connected to a normal charger or a quick charger. This current will depend on the battery capacity. For example, in an SE that has say 1800mAH battery, it may draw 360mA when connected to a 5W charger and 1.8A when connected to a fast charger. An iPhone 11 that has 3100mAH battery may draw 600mA when connected to a 5W charger and 3.1A when connected to a fast charger.

So, if a phone supports quick charging (almost all phones these days do), and if it detects that it has been connected to a fast charger, it will charge the battery with a higher current. This will result in higher heat generation from internal losses which may degrade the battery faster.

The reason why manufacturers are able to provide fast charging is because of the improvement in battery technology that has resulted in reduction in losses at high currents (If we tried to charge a battery from 10 years back with a C/1 rated current, it would explode). But the loss is still not zero. That is why it is logic that a battery charged at a higher current may have a lower life than a battery charged at a lower current.

Having said that, I do not know how much this degradation is going to be over long time. Maybe it is not significant enough that it affects the usability of the battery, or maybe there is a 25% difference in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Guys I think Apple has designed this “Battery Health” feature to drive us nuts . Please think back to a time when this feature was not there and just use the phone.

On a serious note, the battery is a consumable and will run out/run down after n number of recharge cycles or it’s capability. Don’t give it undue importance.

If Apple has designed a fast charger for a particular model, use it or don’t bother. When I bought my 11 in November 2019, I bought a fast charger separately because it helps me. My battery health right now is 92% which I checked only because I read these posts.

Take it easy

Cheers
I agree on your point about giving too much importance to the battery health could drive us nuts. One should use a charger as situation demands.

But the difference in life of a battery from quick charging and normal charging is just common physics. Of course, as I mentioned, I do not know how much difference this makes though.

Personally, I don't stress much about the battery health. I have been using the 5W charger as my iPhone 11 did not come with a charger. Had Apple provided a quick charger in the box, I would have just used it. I also have a multi-port charger which supports quick charging and occasionally use it to do a quick charge when the battery drops below 20% during day time.

Last edited by graaja : 9th February 2021 at 06:57.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 13:08   #13534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But the difference in life of a battery from quick charging and normal charging is just common physics. Of course, as I mentioned, I do not know how much difference this makes though.
I feel the difference in the life of a battery if you take optimum care (trouble your mind) or don’t care and recharge with whatever suits you (normal or fast charger) should not be more than 2-3 months on an average.

If we think about it, manufacturers are not out to actually super extend the life of their products (are they ) they merely want us to think so. They are out to maximise profits and make us buy new batteries or new phones. Let’s forget that “Battery Health” shall we.

Also factor in how many of us upgrade to new phones in a year or two. Now think about it, what difference is it practically going to make. It’s unnecessary botheration for no real life application

Importantly, these tools (phones or whatever) are for our use/convenience, never let it become so are living for them (within reasonable parameters of course).

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 06:59   #13535
BHPian

Sharing my inputs on the charging and battery. In my previous iphone 11, i use to charge it with 12W charger overnight. Battery health dropped to 97% in 3 months. With my current iphone 12, I have been following the below steps:

1. Using the official 20W charger.
2. Remove the case and charging the phone. The reason is the transparent case turns yellow and also the heat kind of gets trapped for a while.
3. No overnight charging. Charging the phone when it drops to 20% is my method.

Following the above, the iphone bought during launch day is now holding very well with 100% health. I think removing the case while charging and not charging overnight has made the difference.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 08:27   #13536
BHPian

Does iPhone 12 mini support dual sim ? OEM's site says yes. How to make this happen ? Has anyone here tried this out ?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-screenshot-20210210-08.23.53.png  

Old 10th February 2021, 09:37   #13537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Does iPhone 12 mini support dual sim ?
Yes, the secondary sim is in the form of an 'e-sim'. It's not a physical sim, but a small card that's already inside your iPhone. All major carriers like Jio, Airtel, Vi now offer e sim facilities but you'll have to visit their centers for activation.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:06   #13538
BHPian

A few queries on this

1. Does it involve additional charges?
2. Can e-sim be done for prepaid accounts?
3. Any benefits over a regular sim other than for Dual Sim usage?
Old 10th February 2021, 12:29   #13539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
A few queries on this

1. As per my knowledge, there are no additional charges for using an e-sim, its just that a physical external sim card is replaced by an internal one that is specific to a phone.

2. Yes, the prepaid plans remain the same and normal recharges can be done

3. As far as I know, the only difference between a regular sim and e-sim is the fact that an e-sim is built into the phone so it cannot be switched between devices, it is specific to one device only. I do not know of any performance differences.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:34   #13540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
1- No
2- Yes
3- It is a software (e) sim that is embedded into phones software, apart from that functionality and performance is all the same. The physical slot can be used for hardware sim, that you can swap based on your need.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 12:52   #13541
BHPian

Anybody have a recent experience of getting a phone from the US ?

A friend is picking up a 12 pro max and I wanted a heads-up of any issues with customs etc if recently faced by anybody.
Old 11th February 2021, 13:03   #13542
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Anybody have a recent experience of getting a phone from the US ?

A friend is picking up a 12 pro max and I wanted a heads-up of any issues with customs etc if recently faced by anybody.

No issue with customs as long as you are not carrying way too many gadgets in sealed boxes. But with 5G around the corner in India (expected by Aug 15 2021), there is a debate going on that the iPhones from USA will not support the 5G bands in India.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 13:10   #13543
BHPian

I have a n issue with my iPhone 8 Plus.

I am using airtel. Whenever I travel outside my home even within the city limits I lose network in my iPhone. I changed the sim card also but still this problem prevails. Once I m back to my home the network is back.

Does anyone can tell me if I need to do something in the settings?
Old 11th February 2021, 13:15   #13544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
I have a n issue with my iPhone 8 Plus.

I am using airtel. Whenever I travel outside my home even within the city limits I lose network in my iPhone. I changed the sim card also but still this problem prevails. Once I m back to my home the network is back.

Does anyone can tell me if I need to do something in the settings?
Do you have roaming switched on?
The iPhone Thread-ebe56475f0e34d0e8f2074e1de4d0a5e.jpeg
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 13:30   #13545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Do you have roaming switched on?
Yes Roaming is On. Also Mobile Data I am using LTE mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks