Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:55   #13741
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I only have fiction epubs in iBooks. about 10 of them at a time. These don't have images in them except the cover image.
Also I've used only 27.7 of the 64 GB so I should assume that swap memory wouldn't be the problem.
Unfortunately yesterday even the Facebook app crashed. I switched off the phone and restarted it and the problem seems to have resolved.
It's just that apps never used to crash in iOS before. I've never switched off the phone except when the charge runs out or for service like replacing the SIM or battery.
I too had similar issues with my Ipad of yesteryear. I used to use ibooks and i had a fairly large collection of about 2000 books. ibooks stopped opening and would crash as soon as it is launched
I started using Marvin and it has been a breeze. It syncs up to a couple of cloud storage and this becomes an easiest way to transfer a large collection. No lags and it is brilliant to read. The only downside is that there is no auto day/night adjustment. You have to manually change it, but it is one click away
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:58   #13742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
I'm not selling it off because of the massive loss I'd get by selling it, and the lack of good small(ish) screen phones in the market. The good part of it is that I'm using less of the phone nowadays.
It’s a real pain being unable to use the latest from Apple because of Pulse Width Management (PWM) issues. There are numerous complaints on Apple forums from people having these issues, yet Apple is doing nothing about it because we (people affected by this) are still a minuscule number considering the number of users overall.

We are forced to use the 11 or lower till Apple converts the lineup to mini-led screens as they are rumoured to do. But, that’s still a long time to go.

I feel your concern about the loss by selling the phone now, I lost 10 thousand rupees when I sold my 11 Pro Max, but still feel it was the way to go considering the health hazards from using it.

I would strongly suggest you don’t use the phone at all, why take a chance with something that could affect you long term. If your Wife can tolerate the OLED then take over the 11 from her and give her your phone. If nothing works, sell it off, take the monetary hit, but please don’t use it even for a short while. Unfortunately for me, my Wife also couldn’t use the 11 Pro Max so I had to get rid of it.

Cheers
Old 24th June 2021, 15:00   #13743
Distinguished - BHPian

Question to those using the native Health app on the iPhone:

Do you track cycling on it ? How ?

The Health app on my iPhone SE tracks steps, but does not recognize cycling automatically. I need to add the distance.

Is there any way to make this work to auto-detect distance ?

Note: I dont want to install additional apps like Strava etc.
Old 24th June 2021, 16:22   #13744
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Health app on my iPhone SE tracks steps, but does not recognize cycling automatically. I need to add the distance.

Note: I dont want to install additional apps like Strava etc.
From what I have seen, the Health app doesn't track cycling data. I have the Fitness app which pulls data from the Apple Watch, and that syncs with Strava as well.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 06:01   #13745
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to make this work to auto-detect distance ?
It works with my Apple Watch fitness app which has an outdoor cycling mode. Doesn’t work on the iPhone with just the health app.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd July 2021 at 08:22. Reason: typo
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:47   #13746
BHPian

I bought my 11 pro in mar 2020 and the batter health is already down to 89% whereas a friend of mine who bought his 11 pro a few months earlier than I did, still has his battery health around 98%.
Is this more of a calibration issue or is there something wrong with my phone’s battery?
Old 3rd July 2021, 23:54   #13747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I bought my 11 pro in mar 2020 and the batter health is already down to 89% whereas a friend of mine who bought his 11 pro a few months earlier than I did, still has his battery health around 98%.
Is this more of a calibration issue or is there something wrong with my phone’s battery?
The battery health depends on various factors actually,

- The charger you use (fast or regular charger).
- The charging cycles. Preferably charge between 25 - 90 %.
- Heating of the phone depending on the usage pattern, as in high amount of gaming usually heats up the phone, etc.

Overall this battery health thing is more gimmicky than what is actually a measure of the battery life.

My 5 month old 12 Pro is now at 99%, and I use the recommended 20W charger. No gaming, only regular calls, WA, Insta & YT. That’s it!
Old 4th July 2021, 11:05   #13748
BHPian

how much would screen replacement for the iPhone 7 plus cost. Any place recommended in Hyderabad.

Plan is to replace this with iPhone 13 when launched.
Old 4th July 2021, 21:07   #13749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Applied a dbrand MKBHD skin. Was easy to apply. May be I will use it like this without changing the back glass.
Attachment 2165318
A strange observation I am noticing in my iPhone 12. Since the day I broke my rear glass I am seeing a continuous decline in my battery health every 2 weeks . My battery health was at 98% when I broke and now after 9 weeks it’s at 94%. Should I be concerned and fix the back glass at authorized service center ?
Old 6th July 2021, 14:47   #13750
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any idea why does the touch screen not respond well ?

My less than 4 yr old iPhone SE sometimes shows slow/bad response by the touch screen. The screen has been used very gently - feather touch approach, never tapped. And is always in a belt pouch. So I dont think there has been pressure on it any time - during use or when carrying it around.

Response recovers if I restart the ph.

I have not moved to the latest iOS version yet.
Old 7th July 2021, 09:49   #13751
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, any idea why does the touch screen not respond well ?
Something is running in the background using too much of CPU/Memory. Download System Monitor App (free when I downloaded it). It will tell you in real time your CPU,RAM,'drive' and battery usage.
Old 9th July 2021, 01:01   #13752
Senior - BHPian

Steve Wozniak said that it was time to recognise the Right to Repair fully

Source : TOI Gadgets Now

Quote:
Steve Wozniak, spoke recently on the topic of the Right to Repair on Apple gadgets by consumers, after a request from Louis Rossman, an advocate of the Right to Repair initiative. The tech innovator was in favour of the same and said that it was time to recognise the Right to Repair fully.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Right to Repair, it is about the right of the consumer to disassemble an electronic device by themselves. Apple doesn’t advocate that and has always been against the notion, and has stated reasons like the danger to the safety of the consumer and the device both while trying to repair them. Apple critics, however, are of the opinion that with this view, the company’s aim is to sell more products even when the older ones with the consumers could run longer after some self-repair.

Wozniak says in the video, “We wouldn’t have had an Apple had I not grown up in a very open technology world. Back then, when you bought electronic things like TVs and radios, every bit of the circuits and designs were included on the paper. Total open source.”

He also added, “Is it your computer [as the customer]? or is it some company’s computer? Think about that. It’s time to start doing the right thing.”
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 01:17   #13753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Since we are talking about battery health. Let me also chip in with my experience

Today, I have completed exactly 6 months of my iPhone 12 Promax ownership and I still have a 100% battery health and best part is i am getting fantastic battery life per charge

It ranges from anywhere from 24 hours (Heavy usage) to 30 Hours (Moderate Usage) to 37 hours (Light usage) for a single charge of cycle. This is simply phenomenal as I never thought modern day phones with better screens and multi-tasking (phone, teams, social media etc) will last this long

My simple practice is to wait till battery % drops to 20% or lower and then charge it back to 100%. This trick worked not just to get good health (100%) but, also the per cycle also lasts me much longer

Btw, I am on the latest OS version
Update

This happiness was short-lived. I normally avoid checking on the battery health but, I had to see as my 30-36 hour battery life was not happening last few days and when I checked the battery percentage last week. It showed 98%

So my 100% battery life stint lasted exactly 7.5 months as I am currently in my 8-months of ownership of my iPhone 12 Promax. And, this has effected the overall battery life drastically. Now I am unable to squeeze more than 27-28 hours (light usage) to 23-24 hours (heavy usage) in one battery charge of 100% to about 20% ( as mentioned above, I put it back on charge after it hits 20%, sometimes wait until 15%).

Currently on the latest OS 14.6. Not sure if the update is the culprit or something else.

Anyone else can share their battery health experiences of their iPhone 12 models?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 07:14   #13754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Update
Now I am unable to squeeze more than 27-28 hours (light usage) to 23-24 hours (heavy usage) in one battery charge of 100% to about 20% ( as mentioned above, I put it back on charge after it hits 20%, sometimes wait until 15%).
I don't think this is related to your battery health going down by 2%. As mentioned by other fellow members as well, this battery health thing is more of a gimmicky stuff and may not reflect reality. My 4 year old iPhone 8 plus battery is now showing "Service" in bettery health but I haven't noticed any noticeable dip in my battery life. I have a very moderate usage with few calls, whatsapp, etc. and I usually end my day with ~65-70% battery charge. There was dip in battery when I updated to 14.6 which came back to normal after a couple of days. I have always noticed this since iOS 5 days with every update. There usually will be a dip in battery life after an update which will come back to normal after a couple of days or so.
bhp_maniac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 17:29   #13755
BHPian

I am not sure why some members are mentioning that battery health indicator on iPhone is gimmicky. It is actually not. Battery health indicator is directly proportional to the amount of time it can sustain the charge.

I have used 3 iPhones till now and have experienced battery health degradation from 100% to 78%. Phone with 78% battery health had fairly lower life during the day. Although reaching to 78% took 4.5 years

And to top it up, I sold one of my iPhone on Cashify and while selling, person marked battery as dead and and I got lower valuation than what I would have got when batter showed >80%. It is a usually accepted fact that battery with less than 80% levels needs replacement in iPhones.
SourPai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks