Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 21:58   #13936
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

The Apple event is turning into cringe-worthy marketing event. I am there to see the new products but it's now more about jazzy choreography with aerial shots, special effects and overly enthusiastic hosts. It's classy no more.
On top of that over-glorifying of what mostly were incremental updates with only few good ones (iPad mini) just turns me off.
I don't think I am going to watch any of these events going forward. Some Youtubers do a better job of summing up everything afterwards to catch up on.

Last edited by nerdgalore : 17th September 2021 at 21:59.
nerdgalore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 22:27   #13937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zensure View Post
Specifically in my case, I had iPhone 7 Plus way back in 2016 (changed from Android), within a month of being available in India - and it is still going strong. Had an opportunity to replace the battery for 2K INR and did that in 2018 Dec. So, it is 5 years in a couple of months and have no reason to discard yet!
Thats good to know you are getting the value for your purchase. Did you replace the battery at Apple authorized center or 3rd party/ local battery center?
Old 17th September 2021, 22:49   #13938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Thats good to know you are getting the value for your purchase. Did you replace the battery at Apple authorized center or 3rd party/ local battery center?
In late 2018, there was an offer by Apple to replace the battery for 2K INR, which I availed. Yes, it was at Apple authorised center.

Interestingly now - 2 years and 9 months, health of battery is 90%. Earlier it was 88% after 2 years usage. My usage specifically in last 18 months is far more than what it was earlier, thanks to Pandemic. So, the replaced battery seems to have performed better or the iOS has improved significantly. Either way, it was good experience.
zensure is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 22:56   #13939
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting and funny to note so many people crib about Apple and still desire to own that product.

It's a fact and nothing you say or do will change that fact. Apple products have the highest desirability quotient in the devices market and not a single other product can come closer to any of their product line-up. It is no mean feat to make that desirability for "every" single product they make which cannot be said about any other company on this planet.

Apple is all about user experience (sleek look, flawless designs, great usability, mind boggling compatibility with their other products and late to the market with features but ones that work like a charm).

Hence, they are so expensive and I'm willing to pay through my nose for this experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdgalore View Post
The Apple event is turning into cringe-worthy marketing event. I am there to see the new products but it's now more about jazzy choreography with aerial shots, special effects and overly enthusiastic hosts. It's classy no more.
On top of that over-glorifying of what mostly were incremental updates with only few good ones (iPad mini) just turns me off.
I don't think I am going to watch any of these events going forward. Some Youtubers do a better job of summing up everything afterwards to catch up on.
And, I have a completely opposite view. Apple events are all about "grandiose" and it gets better each year and their events can put any Hollywood production to shame.
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 23:07   #13940

Hi guys, I was keen on a 13 Pro and wanted to know whether it makes a world of difference in getting the phone from the official online store or from the official resellers/E-commerce platforms given the fact that only the latter are running discount offers for pre-booking?
Old 17th September 2021, 23:41   #13941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
And, I have a completely opposite view. Apple events are all about "grandiose" and it gets better each year and their events can put any Hollywood production to shame.
Apple makes some great devices but they also undoubtedly make the most questionable decisions. I am not bound in any way to be mesmerized by whatever they throw at us, the consumers.
It's a walled garden and while the garden is pretty, it's also walled and Apple goes to extreme lengths to trap users there. I currently own an iPhone 11 and brought it not just because its an Apple, it was the best value for me when I was looking for a replacement after using a Oneplus for 4 years. Will I buy another iPhone? Not guaranteed. I will probably again look for the best value for me when I need a replacement. It would be naive and fanboyish to turn a blind eye to stuff other companies build.

As for the current lot of Apple events, you are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion there are better "grandiose" options out there for watching than launch events for what essentially are consumer appliances nowadays.

To each their own
nerdgalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 02:03   #13942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I currently own an iPhone 11 and brought it not just because its an Apple, it was the best value for me when I was looking for a replacement after using a Oneplus for 4 years. Will I buy another iPhone? Not guaranteed. I will probably again look for the best value for me when I need a replacement. It would be naive and fanboyish to turn a blind eye to stuff other companies build.
For someone like me who owns every single product they sell, Apple devices user experience (not it's cost) is the primary value.

Simple things like :

a) I start writing a note in my iPhone, edit same note on my iPad and then complete the writing in my MacBook Air is an irreplaceable experience.

b) Open the lid of my MacBook Air, and voila my Mac opens instantly through my Apple Watch.

c) I seamlessly transfer music between my iPhone,ipad to my HomePod mini just by bringing one device closer to another.

There are many such small but, useful examples that make the whole experience worth being in the Apple Ecosystem and also it's an individual's preferences that matter.

If an individual just owns an iPhone, then probably they won't see the value. For such folks, it's best to go back to their choice of Android device.

At least they won't have a heartburn and rant on public forums about how Apple is an evil company and they are selling expensive products that don't have features that are there in competitor products

At the end of the day, nobody is forcing anybody to buy Apple products. It's a free world and there are plenty of choices that one can make of their own.

I make a choice and never regret. Maybe, that's just me!

Quote:
As for the current lot of Apple events, you are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion there are better "grandiose" options out there for watching than launch events for what essentially are consumer appliances nowadays.
Going by Apple's stature, I would prefer and love their grandiose events than a shabby event which will put me off Apple products. They have set a very high standard for themselves and they are living by that to the T.

Quote:
To each their own
Absolutely. To each to their own. Well Said !!

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th September 2021 at 02:06.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 03:17   #13943
BHPian

So, after delaying my buying decision for iPhone 12, Today, I ordered an iPhone 13 Pro 256GB online on the Apple Store website after using the OnePlus 6T for 3 years. OP6T is still doing fine but has started giving up on the battery back up and the Camera app has started showing some hiccups after the latest update. So, I went ahead and booked the best in the business which will enhance the Video Recording experience, photography and tons of other media work enhancements that will help me for the Youtube and clicking my newborn twin babies.

Apple has done a fine job of not jacking up the prices unnecessarily. They have kept the pricing same as the 12 series but have given some vital features like Sensor-Shift (Gimbal) and 120 Hz refresh rate screen.

IMHO, where iPhone score is their bulletproof ecosystem. It's like a trap, to be honest. I couldn't connect my OP6T with MacBook Pro ever for video editing or keeping a backup and always had to use a portable SSD or PD to transfer data whereas, with any iPhone, it will be a breeze with Airdrop. Other than that, iPhones generally last 4-6 years easily if maintained well and provide a day 1 like smooth experience even after half a decade.

Last, I find the 6.1" screen size very adequate to navigate or to keep inside the pocket.
Old 18th September 2021, 07:33   #13944
Senior - BHPian

So during launch time my iPhone12Pro did slow down. Next came warnings on memory being full (On a 256 GB phone). Apple tries every trick to get you on board
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 08:19   #13945

Apple is the perfect company for a shareholder. Just look at the hype on the internet over features that are found in so many basic Android devices now. So many people I know are upgrading from the 12 series to 13 even if it makes no sense. When I ask why, they tell me they want the new colour lmao. I mean is a new colour worth >1000$? Some say battery when they have been working from home for the last 1.5 years. I guess it’s mostly to get the latest shiny gadget.

And once you but into the Apple “ecosystem”, there is no way out. I know from first hand experience. If you but an Apple Watch, you are stuck with buying iPhones unless you want to give the watch away. Unfortunately the Apple Watch also happens to be the best smart watch out there. It’s the reason I still have my XS max. But think of this from a business standpoint, it’s as good as lock in. I can assure you 95% of those who own an Apple Watch will never leave the Apple ecosystem ever.

But then again, Apple’s customer care remains the best in industry and works in many countries without hassle. If you’ve used their express replacement service, you’d know what I mean. I had a degraded battery and they overnighted a replacement device and got my old device back. No other company offers such a feature afaik.
Gokuljayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 13:42   #13946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokuljayaraj View Post
Apple is the perfect company for a shareholder. Just look at the hype on the internet over features that are found in so many basic Android devices now. So many people I know are upgrading from the 12 series to 13 even if it makes no sense. When I ask why, they tell me they want the new colour lmao. I mean is a new colour worth >1000$? Some say battery when they have been working from home for the last 1.5 years. I guess it’s mostly to get the latest shiny gadget.
Unless you want two phones, most people will trade in their iPhone 12 and get the 13, losing 250-300$ in the process, not the full cost, or they can be a part of the iPhone upgrade program which also translates to about the same amount, like leasing a car you’re only paying for 1 year of depreciation on the new device.

Apple gave 7 years of software support on the 6s (2015-2022) consider the value offered here, which no other smartphone mfg offers. Also whatever features makes it to the iPhone, work flawlessly, unlike android which treats its customers like guinea pigs, from the Samsung’s exploding batteries, to their initial burn in issues with oled displays, terrible attempt at cinematic mode in video, in display selfie cameras with pixelated patches, initial 120hz refresh where it ate up the battery prematurely, the list goes on. I’d rather wait a year or two and get polished, fully worked out features.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 15:46   #13947
Senior - BHPian

Came across this official video from Apple for the iPhone 13. Pretty awesome production this.

extreme_torque is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 16:04   #13948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
So during launch time my iPhone12Pro did slow down. Next came warnings on memory being full (On a 256 GB phone). Apple tries every trick to get you on board
If your memory was indeed getting full or full, then your phone is bound to slow down. What’s 256 GB got to do with it or even 1 TB (if you have data) or even the launch time.

Cheers
Old 18th September 2021, 17:56   #13949
Senior - BHPian

Just 60 gigs of photos. So since I had back-up, deleted it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
If your memory was indeed getting full or full, then your phone is bound to slow down. What’s 256 GB got to do with it or even 1 TB (if you have data) or even the launch time
Old 18th September 2021, 23:05   #13950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Just 60 gigs of photos. So since I had back-up, deleted it all.
It’s a great stretch of imagination to suggest that Apple had anything to do with what happened in your case or anyone’s in the same position to induce an upgrade. It’s probably some sort of software error or something like that.

For the record, I don’t have any Apple shares

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks