Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 10:27   #14191
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I am afraid that day won't come. Apple tried it once with 5c, burnt their fingers badly and have shied away since then. Apple knows fully well that people buy the brand and they can't afford to dilute it. Of course, the experience comes with it too.
5C wasn't cheap. In 2016 when it was launched it costed around 35k. As much as a Galaxy S4.

I was talking about a hypothetical situation, and am sure Apple wouldn't want to dilute their brand.

And I agree that iPhones are overpriced with respect to it's BoM. But that is hardly a metric based on which, sombody should buy a product. What matters is what the product gives you and not how much it cost the manufacturer.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:07   #14192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
But that is hardly a metric based on which, sombody should buy a product. What matters is what the product gives you and not how much it cost the manufacturer.
That's against the whole idea of value for money. One has to decide how much premium they are ready to pay for the incremental performance. For many, that doesn't strike balance.

On a side note, I am about to replace my current Android with another similar one because I have to change it every 2 years and iPhone doesn't seem worth the investment for me. I bought a new iPhone for my wife couple of months ago as she can and does hold on to it for 3-4 years.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th October 2021 at 11:09.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:33   #14193
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello,

Has anyone got a solution for spam SMSes sent from number formats like VM-XXXX, BV-XXXX etc.? These guys have made lives miserable with messages even being received at 1 AM in the night. Some particular companies are being particularly notorious. With native blocking feature of SMS on iPhone, I have seen that this doesn't work for these kind of Alphabetic sender numbers. All this despite being registered with DND. With the services available online and OTP being the new verification type, it is difficult to keep your number private these days and in turn you get tangles in the menace of spam calls & messages.
Old 26th October 2021, 11:41   #14194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone got a solution for spam SMSes sent from number formats like VM-XXXX, BV-XXXX etc.?
I have been using Microsoft SMS Organizer since about 3 years, was suggested by a BHPian in this same thread. It nicely organises and categorises the messages into personal, transactions and promotional. We can customize the notifications according to our preference.
aadya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 11:57   #14195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I have been using Microsoft SMS Organizer since about 3 years, was suggested by a BHPian in this same thread. It nicely organises and categorises the messages into personal, transactions and promotional. We can customize the notifications according to our preference.
I wasn't aware that iOS gives access of SMS messages to third party apps. I will try this one if it works well. Also, I believe truecaller doesn't work for live incoming call tracing? Thanks for your answers.

Regards.
Old 26th October 2021, 12:00   #14196
Distinguished - BHPian

Look what came in today? 🤩

Teaser Pic

The iPhone Thread-cb31fac1fab749439d3dcf203bf74571.jpeg
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 12:04   #14197
BHPian

Quote:

Dear Android fanboys, your favourite OS was made by copying an idea Apple spent millions of dollars and a number of years perfecting. And even after 14 years, cannot come close to with respect to ease of use and usability.
Spoken like a true fanboy!

You should first read my posts and then pass any judgement.

My earlier posts were not about only iphones but premium phones and how buyers of these premium phones are justifying their purchase as vfm.
Its like buyers of D & E segment cars justifying their purchase as vfm.
My only point was that please accept that a part of decision behind purchase of premium phones is snob value.

You know that Apple does not has the monopoly on premium phones. There are very expensive phones in Android too.

Quote:
Your devices sell
I am sorry but I dont have any horse in this race so there is no 'my device'!

Quote:
only because Apple "overprice" their products. If a day comes when Apple starts selling 20k iPhones, all the Samsung's and the Xiaomis and other Chinese toymakers will go bust.
You may think in terms of Apple vs Android but I think as a consumer of phones. The day you are talking about that apple sells phones cheap can only come when there is competition. Without competition any manufacturer let alone Apple will surely jack up prices to gain super-normal profits. This is the dream of every business.

Everyone wants to buy & use the best products but it is not possible. We all make compromises. You may be buying Iphone which is the best phone according to you but are you following through this principle of using the best for every product that you buy. I can easily say that the day Miele start selling washing machines at 25k, whatever washing machine manufacturer you are using will go bust. but I wont say that as I am not a fanboy.

BTW Android and Apple are not mutually exclusive and many persons or households have both. My Dad uses iphone and I help him if he faces any problem with it. I will try iphone the day it comes into my price range of phones having features i require which I have currently set at 30k approx. It is not a budget issue and I have explained earlier my reasoning for this price range.

Quote:
Hello,

Has anyone got a solution for spam SMSes sent from number formats like VM-XXXX, BV-XXXX etc.? These guys have made lives miserable with messages even being received at 1 AM in the night. Some particular companies are being particularly notorious. With native blocking feature of SMS on iPhone, I have seen that this doesn't work for these kind of Alphabetic sender numbers. All this despite being registered with DND. With the services available online and OTP being the new verification type, it is difficult to keep your number private these days and in turn you get tangles in the menace of spam calls & messages.
SMS app on my android filters out these spams 100%. You can try MS sms app which is also a very good sms app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
That's against the whole idea of value for money. One has to decide how much premium they are ready to pay for the incremental performance. For many, that doesn't strike balance.

On a side note, I am about to replace my current Android with another similar one because I have to change it every 2 years and iPhone doesn't seem worth the investment for me. I bought a new iPhone for my wife couple of months ago as she can and does hold on to it for 3-4 years.
I too replace my phones every two years and hard disks of my pc sooner than 2 years. I never sell my old phones. I prefer to destroy them and then throw them in waste.

No, I am not in some kind of illegal business. I am a very small businessman in India and that I am afraid is the reality of every businessman here

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th October 2021 at 12:41. Reason: back to back posts merged
neeraj0272 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 13:21   #14198
BHPian

Quote:
OS was made by copying an idea Apple spent millions of dollars and a number of years perfecting.
Isn't that how software evolves? I am sure even Apple does not have a problem with it, because their MacOS is nothing but an evolved version of BSD (Unix). Of course, notwithstanding the immense effort that went into latest versions of MacOS and iOS since then.

So Apple users are not far from Linux users; the "fanboys" actually have the same family name.

There is nothing wrong in extending ideas, something Apple has conveniently forgotten after 30 years today with their closed apps. They don't share because their ecosystem might get access to better apps and start questioning them, which they don't want. They'd rather "buy out" that better app dev team and close it.

Quote:
Apple starts selling 20k iPhones, all the Samsung's and the Xiaomis and other Chinese toymakers will go bust.
Well, there exists high priced Samsung models too. And Samsung especially has made lots of research into making phones more usable, especially with Dex and HDMI out through USB-C, on a "free"/ "open" platform where anybody could side load any app on it which it still tries its best to support.

From engineering perspective, designing good things for a less controlled platform is a better accomplishment.

And think of the possible investment returns Apple might have made from Facebook or Google (it is common for competitors to invest in each other - Oracle invests in Salesforce) which shine only because of the data they can collect from "plebs" who can budget only sub-20k phones (budget and affordability are not necessarily related).

Disclaimer: I use a Mac at work, Windows for gaming, and Linux for everything else
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:20   #14199
Senior - BHPian

Over the last two years, I was on a gifting spree, gifted 3 Apple watches, 2 iPhone 11 and an iPhone 13 to my family. Finally decided to gift myself, will be upgrading from iPhone 7 plus to 13 Pro Max.

I was waiting for the camera pixel bump(from 12MP) before my upgrade, but it looks like that is at least two years away.
ecenandu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:31   #14200
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
Has anyone got a solution for spam SMSes sent from number formats like VM-XXXX, BV-XXXX etc.? These guys have made lives miserable with messages even being received at 1 AM in the night.
One solution would be sleeping with DND / Focus mode on. You can make it such that only calls alert you and no messages and also set a time for this to start automatically.

Vodafone app has a way to report these numbers / senders. I never used to it earlier but I've started now and the spam has reduced. I still get the occasional automated call but promptly report it.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 15:50   #14201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
Spoken like a true fanboy!
I use an Android phone. And I have mostly owned Android phones in the past. I am too poor to buy iPhones, and am not ashamed to admit that. And it certainly does not turn me into an Android fanboy.
Quote:
You should first read my posts and then pass any judgement.
Of course...
Quote:
I read a lot of discussions going about brand Apple vs Android phones brand.....
People here are keeping on justifying their Apple purchases as vfm.......
Just admit it.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 16:00   #14202
BHPian

Quote:

My earlier posts were not about only iphones but premium phones and how buyers of these premium phones are justifying their purchase as vfm.
Its like buyers of D & E segment cars justifying their purchase as vfm.
My only point was that please accept that a part of decision behind purchase of premium phones is snob value.

You know that Apple does not has the monopoly on premium phones. There are very expensive phones in Android too.

You may think in terms of Apple vs Android but I think as a consumer of phones. The day you are talking about that apple sells phones cheap can only come when there is competition. Without competition any manufacturer let alone Apple will surely jack up prices to gain super-normal profits. This is the dream of every business.

Everyone wants to buy & use the best products but it is not possible. We all make compromises. You may be buying Iphone which is the best phone according to you but are you following through this principle of using the best for every product that you buy. I can easily say that the day Miele start selling washing machines at 25k, whatever washing machine manufacturer you are using will go bust. but I wont say that as I am not a fanboy.
I sincerely believe you define value for money differently than I do and hence the disagreement.
See I define it as marginal value gained per dollar spent, not total cost. Just because something objectively costs more doesn’t mean it can’t be more value for money than a cheaper product.
For eg. if a can of Coke is $1 and 4 cans of Coke are $2 then the second purchase costs more yes, but it is much better value for money as the cost/can is just $0.5.

With larger cars I’ll say the same thing, my Amaze was exactly half the on road cost of my Accord 8 years ago (both are almost the same age so inflation won’t factor) and ask me any day and I’ll tell you the Accord is much better value for money (dollar for dollar) than the Amaze, it has more than double the power/build quality/refinement, etc. so assuming one can afford both, I’d say you’re getting less value by buying the cheaper car in such cases. Also, the Accord is a midsize family sedan, not a luxury car so I fail to see how it’s a snob purchase.

Yes except that high end androids priced near apple don’t sell anywhere nearly as well as iPhones do, despite costing less. Surely people see some benefit when voting with their wallet? Goes back to my vfm argument.

I’ll mention another point to consider: think of how many friends/family/colleagues you know who switched from android to apple, I’m sure you’ll come up with a few. Now flip it, how many people do you know who switched from apple to android and didn’t come back? A much lower number (if any).

Regarding using the best products, sure - just buy the best you can afford be it a car, phone, watch, whatever, everyone has different preferences and different things they attach more importance to over others. Just be financially responsible and have a budget.

Last edited by AJ56 : 26th October 2021 at 16:08.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:19   #14203
BHPian

First of all, we need to understand what value means. Value is not something that is offered by the seller. It's what is perceived by the consumer. From a buyer standpoint anything could define value in his/her purchase. Value is not equal to number of features for a given price. Or even number of products you could buy for a given price. In this discussion - value cannot be compared by the list of features a phone offers vs the list of features another phone offers. Value is not tangible or quantifiable.

A simple eg could be a purchase of a car/two wheeler without ABS and ABS as optional. Let's say with ABS the product costs 30k more. In this case if the buyer gives more value to his safety he'll spend 30k extra. If the same buyer gives value to just money he'll not pay 30k. In this scenario 30k should not be looked as the price of ABS (from a value perspective) but rather the price you pay for your own safety.

In the end, no one can define what is vfm for another person. As simple as that. If you're happy with your purchase without buyer's remorse that's all there is to it. There is no need to justify your purchase nor take a dig at another's purchase.
emkay.india is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:26   #14204
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Has anyone got a solution for spam SMSes sent from number formats like VM-XXXX, BV-XXXX etc.? These guys have made lives miserable with messages even being received at 1 AM in the night.
The DND/Focus feature suggested in an earlier reply is a good remedy for it. What I would suggest is that since you are already registered in DND, why not start reporting such unsolicited communication ? The success rate might be 50-50 but at least you’ll be happy that you reported it to the operator/authorities.

For this, you’ll need to install the TRAI DND app from the App Store & then report all such unsolicited calls & SMSs. The app enhances the functionality in the call & SMS apps to report from there itself & then sends a text msg to the toll-free no. of your mobile operator.
Lately, it hasn’t been picking up the sender details which are in the XY-ABC123 format in my SE 1st Gen but I cram it & then update it manually in the SMS composer box before sending it. No such issues though, when complaining about a landline or a mobile no.

Attaching a screenshot of the Complaint resolution SMS from the operator. This would depend from operator to operator. Jio sends full details of the closure remarks whereas Vodafone (now Vi) just intimates that your complaint no. so & so has been resolved. Haven’t used and experienced Airtel and BSNL/MTNL.

P.S. : A similar app from TRAI is also available for Android.

The iPhone Thread-96db0cc034194f85b5272701f0d8be95mod.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 26th October 2021 at 19:54. Reason: Phone number masked
ScorpioYadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 18:48   #14205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
The DND/Focus feature suggested in an earlier reply is a good remedy for it. What I would suggest is that since you are already registered in DND, why not start reporting such unsolicited communication ? The success rate might be 50-50 but at least you’ll be happy that you reported it to the operator/authorities.
I dont agree with this solution. Unless DND is levying a hefty penalty on these spammers what good will it do? And I dont want myself to be bogged down in these type of needless chores.
Similarly I am mostly not interested in providing feedbacks to companies unless I have availed of their services or products and then too rarely. A seller must devise ways to generate these feedbacks without inconveniencing buyers.
An example - I showed interest in MG Astor and even TD the car. But I didn't proceed with it. so far so good. It is within my rights to not buy a product.
But now MG (having booked a car for me by themselves!) is bombarding me with emails & SMSs for feedbacks and it has fallen upon me to take steps to unsubscribe from their automated bombardments!
So by this logic every time I ask for price of a product from any vendor, I will have to provide feedback to that vendor!

In short I think best solution will be to use an SMS app which automatically filters these spam messages

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks