Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 18:55   #14206
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
Attaching a screenshot of the Complaint resolution SMS from the operator.
Just so you know, the phone number is still visible in your screenshot.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 20:10   #14207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraj0272 View Post
I dont agree with this solution. Unless DND is levying a hefty penalty on these spammers what good will it do? And I dont want myself to be bogged down in these type of needless chores.
Similarly I am mostly not interested in providing feedbacks to companies unless I have availed of their services or products and then too rarely.

In short I think best solution will be to use an SMS app which automatically filters these spam messages
Hi, I think you have taken it in a different context altogether.
First of all, it is not a solution. I, myself have acknowledged the DND/Focus feature in the iPhone as a remedy for it right in the first sentence. (you've also quoted it !!)

Secondly, there is a penalty clause for unregistered telemarketers set by TRAI. A decade ago, it was Rs. 10000/- for the first offence & a warning letter from the telemarketer's operator. On second offence, it increases to Rs. 50000/- & mandatory disconnection of the phone no.

Don't be overwhelmed by the huge paragraph explaining the procedure of reporting the unsolicited communication (UCC), actually it just takes 3 clicks for reporting SMS & 5 clicks for reporting voice based UCC !!
Your operator has no control on any incoming communication from same or different network. Only when it is intimated via such a complaint, that it comes to know about it. Then also, it is sent to the operator of the sender to act upon it through an inter-operator TRAI portal.

The feedback for any service availed is not considered in this category as it is transactional in nature for a service you availed/showed interest in.

If you are comfortable with such messages going into the SPAM folder & not get disturbed by them, then plz continue with it. I personally, don't like to miss any important message landing in the SPAM folder.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:28   #14208
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I think you have taken it in a different context altogether.
First of all, it is not a solution. I, myself have acknowledged the DND/Focus feature in the iPhone as a remedy for it right in the first sentence. (you've also quoted it !!)
I apologise that I overlooked the Focus feature you mentioned. I am not aware of the functionality of this feature in IOS.
But DND registry is almost useless.

Quote:
Secondly, there is a penalty clause for unregistered telemarketers set by TRAI. A decade ago, it was Rs. 10000/- for the first offence & a warning letter from the telemarketer's operator. On second offence, it increases to Rs. 50000/- & mandatory disconnection of the phone no. .
I doubt it's a deterrent otherwise there wouldn't be so much spam.

Quote:
Your operator has no control on any incoming communication from same or different network. Only when it is intimated via such a complaint, that it comes to know about it. Then also, it is sent to the operator of the sender to act upon it through an inter-operator TRAI portal.
I think this spamming business is in the interest of telecom operators.

Quote:
If you are comfortable with such messages going into the SPAM folder & not get disturbed by them, then plz continue with it. I personally, don't like to miss any important message landing in the SPAM folder.
I periodically check Spam folder and todate I have found only spam in it so I would say that it's pretty successful in stopping spam.

Last edited by neeraj0272 : 26th October 2021 at 20:31.
Old 26th October 2021, 21:05   #14209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Look what came in today?
Vlogger style UNBOXING video of my new iPhone 13 Promax

A few pictures comparing my existing iPhone 12 Promax vs. iPhone 13 Promax

The iPhone Thread-img_7939.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_8942.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_8941.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_7935.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_7934.jpg

The iPhone Thread-img_8943.jpg

Immediate impressions

a) 13 is little more solid than 12. I can feel the weight difference
b) I wanted to check the 120 MHz pro motion. I played a few games and watched some video. It's flawless and so much better than 12.

I transferred all data from 12 to 13 and paired my Apple Watch in 30 minutes. This is what I love about Apple. Everything works like a charm

I'm looking forward to explore Cinematic Mode, Macro Mode and ofcourse the PRORES.

Not a bad phone for $13 bucks a month. Eh?

Cheers to iPhone 13 Promax !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 26th October 2021 at 21:07.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 21:58   #14210
BHPian

Quote:

a) 13 is little more solid than 12. I can feel the weight difference
b) I wanted to check the 120 MHz pro motion. I played a few games and watched some video. It's flawless and so much better than 12.

Not a bad phone for $13 bucks a month. Eh?

Cheers to iPhone 13 Promax !!!
Congratulations! How much thicker does it feel compared to the 12 pro max? For me the increased thickness was the only negative and required second thought before ordering. 120hz feels massive, I checked it out in a store, I don’t know how some people can’t see it, to me it’s night and day.

You got a great trade in for your 12 pro max, in India you pay $2200 for the 512gb 12 pro max and get $614 as trade in value after just 11 months
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 22:19   #14211
BHPian

ICYMI

iPhone 13 Pro: hacked in record time- just 15 seconds flat.

Quote:
the annual Tianfu Cup, held in Chengdu, has been the place for the best hackers in China to demonstrate their collective prowess.

This past weekend saw the latest competition take place and the newest iPhone, the iPhone 13 Pro running the latest and fully patched version of iOS 15.0.2 to be precise, was hacked in record time. Twice.
Quote:
The Kunlun Lab team, whose CEO is a former CTO of Qihoo 360, was able to hack the iPhone 13 Pro live on stage using a remote code execution exploit of the mobile Safari web browser. And do so in just 15 seconds flat.

Quote:
Of course, months of preparation were likely involved in getting to this point, but the result was devastating and devastatingly fast. However, full details of the vulnerability or vulnerabilities exploited have yet to be revealed.
Indeed, these hacking teams will turn the details of their exploits over to Apple so that it can release patches for these vulnerabilities. I would expect to see these in either iOS 15.1 or a forthcoming iOS 15.0 security update.
Source:
Forbes

ysjoy
Old 26th October 2021, 23:20   #14212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Congratulations! How much thicker does it feel compared to the 12 pro max? For me the increased thickness was the only negative and required second thought before ordering. 120hz feels massive, I checked it out in a store, I don’t know how some people can’t see it, to me it’s night and day.
Thanks. It's more of a weight difference than thickness. Thickness is wee bit more and you won't really see much difference. But, due to slightly more weight, it feels even more solid.

120hz is really visible and great feature. Unlike some of androids which have 120hz which is standard and not variable, this is adaptive and can toggle between 10hz-120hz depending on which application is being used. That's where the Apple technology comes into play and helps save battery as this feature is a battery hogger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
You got a great trade in for your 12 pro max, in India you pay $2200 for the 512gb 12 pro max and get $614 as trade in value after just 11 months
India prices are ridiculously high and it's always best to get the 128gb version as anyways everything gets backed up on iCloud. There is absolutely no reason to get a larger storage version unless you are using the phone for heavy video related work.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 23:45   #14213
BHPian

Quote:
India prices are ridiculously high and it's always best to get the 128gb version as anyways everything gets backed up on iCloud.
The 5GB free storage of iCloud, gets filled very fast. How does one manage to stay within this limit?
Old 27th October 2021, 02:40   #14214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The 5GB free storage of iCloud, gets filled very fast. How does one manage to stay within this limit?
You don’t

iCloud subscription for say a 200gb plan is just ₹220/month, very cheap. But there are issues with having your media on it, for one you’re completely dependant on your 4g while outside to load/buffer any data, sometimes you’re not in a high speed coverage area and then trying to play a 200mb lossless format song or buffer a 4k video you want to show someone is impossible. If you’re in the middle of a road trip with no phone coverage or on a flight with no wifi then again you’re stuck. That’s why I’d rather pay more upfront and have my data in a type of storage that’s 100% reliable (internal memory).

Quote:

India prices are ridiculously high and it's always best to get the 128gb version as anyways everything gets backed up on iCloud. There is absolutely no reason to get a larger storage version unless you are using the phone for heavy video related work.
128gb variants don’t get to record ProRes in 4k (limited to 1080p), that alone should be a deal breaker.

Last edited by AJ56 : 27th October 2021 at 02:45.
Old 27th October 2021, 02:45   #14215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing free in this world, my friend

What you are referring to is the complimentary iCloud storage. However, Apple has some wonderful plans for India (many of friends back there use it- One has a 2TB plan)

This is the only place where Apple priced it lower for India regions viz.a-viz US (May look same from a currency conversion perspective but, price for US is relatively higher)

US Prices (Per Month)

50 GB: $0.99
200 GB : $2.99
2 TB : $9.99

India (Per Month)

50 GB : INR 75
200 GB : INR 219
2 TB : INR 750

I have a Apple ONE plan with all services included that I share with family and pay $19.99/Month

For Indian users, the 200 GB plan is a great value for money as you will never have to delete anything from you phone as everything gets backed up on iCloud.

Summary : Free storage days are gone. Even Google made us addictive to their apps and after a decade now started charging for their storage services
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 08:42   #14216
BHPian

Quote:
My new iPhone 13 Promax.
Congratulations!

Such a classy colour gold

Quote:
5GB free storage iCloud limit.
So, Apple has some storage upgrade plans, with current options as 50 GB, 200 GB and 2 TB.

Also, I feel that if we have 2 or more iPhones in the family, we should go for Apple One plan, you get so much more in that.

Quote:
I have a Apple One 200 GB plan.
Friends, any idea if Apple has a 2 TB Apple One plan, I don’t see it in the options?

Last edited by GTsunny : 27th October 2021 at 08:56.
GTsunny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:43   #14217
BHPian

Hello All

Looking forward for a possible cause and remedy on my iPhoneX.
A black/blueish round spot develops(near number one in dial pad) whenever I switch on Bluetooth and pair it with external speaker to listen music. it goes away automatically after sometime when Bluetooth is switched off.
Old 27th October 2021, 13:13   #14218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post

Friends, any idea if Apple has a 2 TB Apple One plan, I don’t see it in the options?
Apple One plan does not have 2TB. It maxes out at 200 GB. But you can take an additional iCloud+ plan for 2 TB in addition to your Apple One.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2021 at 17:34. Reason: Typo
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:28   #14219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionManali View Post
Hello All

Looking forward for a possible cause and remedy on my iPhoneX.
A black/blueish round spot develops(near number one in dial pad) whenever I switch on Bluetooth and pair it with external speaker to listen music. it goes away automatically after sometime when Bluetooth is switched off.
Make sure accessibility icons are turned off, I’m assuming you’ve tried a full factory reset? If not that’s the first thing you should do after backing up your data. Otherwise take it to the apple authorised service centre and have them diagnose the issue.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:45   #14220
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am facing a very weird issue. Sharing it here since its related to iOS 15. I have not been able to update my 2018 iPad Pro post iOS 15. Right now it is on iOS 15. In case of all the following update - 15.0.1, 15.0.2 and 15.1, I am getting an "installation unsuccessful" error . The screen either gets stuck in 'verifying update' or keeps showing 'installing'.

I have never touched Beta updates or anything developer versions. Is anyone else facing the same issue with their iPhones or iPads?

Last edited by Pancham : 27th October 2021 at 16:46.

Most Viewed