Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 19:50   #14221
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The 5GB free storage of iCloud, gets filled very fast. How does one manage to stay within this limit?
I have used Google Photos for ages, so my iCloud account had remained relatively empty. But it has now started to fill up. Incidentally my phone backup size has touched 4GB and adding whatsapp backup, it has almost touched 5GB. When I look into what constitutes that, I see that it is mostly app data. For example Facebook takes around 500MB, which I guess is mainly photos and videos which I have already viewed (which I am not going to look at again). Don't know why I should store them in the cloud. So I have disabled all such apps from backup leaving only stuff like Notes, Messages, health data etc, - total of which comes to less than a gig.

I know that it is easier to pay for 50 gigs and be done with it, but I am averse to these monthly payments. Well, am okay to pay, but this is one of the kind of services where once you decide to stop you lose all data. I used to have about 35 gigs of photos and videos in OneDrive when it was free and one day they made it paid with only 5 gig free. I had a tough time downloading 35 gigs down with an MTS dongle (back then) and at the end gave up and scourged my old hard drives for the same data.

I use Google Photos only so that all my previous photos from time immemorial are there in my photostream, but my real data backup is in a NAS for which I don't have to pay monthly.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:06   #14222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The 5GB free storage of iCloud, gets filled very fast. How does one manage to stay within this limit?
By default, it assumes backup of every app installed on the phone. Disable that and watch how space frees up. On my iCloud, I don't have anything backed up except WhatsApp and basic stuff like Contacts/Reminders/Calendars that is anyway tied to my Apple ID. I have only used up about 1.8 GB of my iCloud space that way.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 16:25   #14223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
In case of all the following update - 15.0.1, 15.0.2 and 15.1, I am getting an "installation unsuccessful" error . The screen either gets stuck in 'verifying update' or keeps showing 'installing'.
I had similar issue once on my earlier iPhone 7 updates. What was suggested to me by Apple customer care and I can suggest here is that update the device while connected to a laptop / desktop using iTunes. It worked for me though the OTA (over the air) installation was not working. The cause was never diagnosed though I assumed that it was some bug with iPhone installation files for my model.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th October 2021 at 17:14. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Turbo_anup is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th October 2021, 08:19   #14224
Distinguished - BHPian

Update on iPhone 13 Promax Battery Life

The battery life of the iPhone 13 Promax is just insane. I got 52 hours (Yup, no kidding- that's over 2 days) from a single charge.

I charged to 100% on Tuesday night at 10:30pm and on Thursday afternoon at 2:30pm, I still had 15% juice left. I used the phone as I normally use it on a daily basis.

During my initial 12 Promax days, I got a maximum of 39 hours from a single charge and I believe, I have that mentioned on this thread back in November, 2020. The claim of 13 Promax battery capacity increased by a large extent is true.

These long hours are possible till the time the battery is 100% capacity which starts dropping from 6-month onwards as per my experience.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 09:25   #14225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
13 Pro Max 512gb in silver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
I'll enjoy using my iPhone 13 (I'll be getting it on Friday )
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My new iPhone 13 Promax
So, this is a question for you’ll and for other users of the iPhone 13, would like to know the cases and / or screen protectors that you’ll plan to purchase, whether offline or online.

I got an ESR transparent case and an ESR screen guard on a temporary basis as, I was scared to touch the phone without first putting on a cover and the screen guard.

Also, what are the other accessories my fellow iPhone 13 users plan to purchase?

Quote:

The battery life of the iPhone 13 Promax is just insane. I got 52 hours from a single charge.
I’m so glad to hear that thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 14:38   #14226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
So, this is a question for you’ll and for other users of the iPhone 13, would like to know the cases and / or screen protectors that you’ll plan to purchase, whether offline or online.

I got an ESR transparent case and an ESR screen guard on a temporary basis as, I was scared to touch the phone without first putting on a cover and the screen guard.

Also, what are the other accessories my fellow iPhone 13 users plan to purchase?
I don’t use any cases or screen protectors as it’s been years since I dropped any phone, to me it ruins the experience by increasing the thickness on a device that’s already thick to begin with, and covers up the beautiful stainless steel sides. Screen protector also takes away from the flush feel as one can always see and feel the edges sticking out over the display.

Only accessory I use is the MagSafe charger which I find is essential if you want to prevent scratching the area around the lighting port as it gets scuffed by the physical lighting connector.

Quote:
Update on iPhone 13 Promax Battery Life

The battery life of the iPhone 13 Promax is just insane. I got 52 hours (Yup, no kidding- that's over 2 days) from a single charge.

During my initial 12 Promax days, I got a maximum of 39 hours from a single charge and I believe, I have that mentioned on this thread back in November, 2020. The claim of 13 Promax battery capacity increased by a large extent is true.
My 12 pro max used to do about 6-7 hours with heavy use on max brightness when new, so seeing the battery tests on YouTube the 13 will be about 15-20% better so finally an all day phone

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th October 2021 at 15:21. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:56   #14227
BHPian

Quote:

I am using the Apple Silicone case and a normal tempered screen guard (6D I believe)

Side note: my first iPhone since the iPhone 5 and I have to say, very impressed so far. Sure there is a small learning curve (keyboard is slightly small and having to start whatsapp from scratch is a pain) but the UI smoothness, battery life and general feel of the device is Leagues ahead of my OnePlus 7T.

After using this for a few hours I am suddenly finding the 7T very large, this really is the perfect size for a display (personal opinion)
Shiftlock is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 00:17   #14228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I don’t use any cases or screen protectors as it’s been years since I dropped any phone, to me it ruins the experience by increasing the thickness on a device that’s already thick to begin with, and covers up the beautiful stainless steel sides. Screen protector also takes away from the flush feel as one can always see and feel the edges sticking out over the display.
As mentioned by AJ56, I too like to feel the way the iPhone is meant to feel in your hand. The stock feel in the hand makes the $1100 bucks spent on it worth it. Hence, I avoid using screen protectors or even a case most of time.

Even if I use a case, I like a clear case so the beauty of iPhone comes through it. If you see my post of pictures posted of my iPhone 13 Promax, I bought an anti-blue glare screen protector. I have not yet installed it as I'm quite reluctant to hamper the over touch experience of the phone.

Basically, still in a dilemma to install it or not. I will maybe install it to see if it helps with my dry eyes. If not, then will trash it.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 17:48   #14229
BHPian

Dear All,

Need help/suggestion. Anyone having any idea how to free up the space taken up by Documents & Data in iPhone by Twitter app without having to delete the app ?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-8d0a000be584412fa637d51f8ad88371.png  

Old 31st October 2021, 03:34   #14230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
will be upgrading from iPhone 7 plus to 13 Pro Max.
Not bad an upgrade right.

The iPhone Thread-37557772f9fb423cbe0096ead1eedb27.jpeg
ecenandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 08:59   #14231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpioYadav View Post
Dear All,

Need help/suggestion. Anyone having any idea how to free up the space taken up by Documents & Data in iPhone by Twitter app without having to delete the app ?
Open the Twitter app -> Settings and Privacy ->Accessibility, Display and Languages -> Data usage -> Storage -> click on each of Media and Web storage and clear.

Btw, deleting and reinstalling an app is not a bad things. I do it very often, since iOS doesn't allow to clear Cache/Data of individual apps. In fact, I even factory reset my phone once every two years just to get rid of all the junk that accumulates.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 09:40   #14232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Open the Twitter app -> Settings and Privacy ->Accessibility, Display and Languages -> Data usage -> Storage -> click on each of Media and Web storage and clear.

Btw, deleting and reinstalling an app is not a bad things. I do it very often, since iOS doesn't allow to clear Cache/Data of individual apps.
Hi, Thanks.
I’d already tried that & it didn’t work. In fact, the screenshot in my last post was taken after doing what you’ve suggested.

So, I guess uninstalling & reinstalling is the only viable option left to free up this space.
Old 31st October 2021, 17:54   #14233
Senior - BHPian

The most significant difference I could feel on the 13 is the 120Hz screen. When MKBHD, on his review, told people would find it difficult to go back to 60Hz, I was a bit sceptical. But having used it now, I can quickly identify it and did a blind test to rule out conformational bias.

People like me jumping from a lot older iPhone will find dramatic improvements on all fronts. But it’s difficult for me to justify the price.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2021, 18:00   #14234
Senior - BHPian

Amazing. I thought I was the only one who did that. All my iPhones, right from 6S - are in mint condition
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
In fact, I even factory reset my phone once every two years just to get rid of all the junk that accumulates.
Old 31st October 2021, 18:12   #14235
BHPian

Silly Question, but what happens when IMG_9999 is reached, does the phone start overwriting the files?, I moved to an iPhone 12 Pro from 6S, had a 200GB iCloud account, so all the pics are backed up, I keep on deleting unnecessary pics but now have a fear that the file numbers on my 6s were of a higher number than on my iphone 12, do you know how its handled? Will it stop taking pictures and ask to delete a few or will it over write.
Second silly question, extreme paranoid case here, i want to have a backup of the cloud as well in my NAS for any accidental deletions, but if i download the 1000 pics at one go, I lose out on the creation date of the pics, so cannot catalog them accordingly, what method do you guys use?

Does the iPhone change file names of the existing pics?

Most Viewed