Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2021, 07:25   #14296
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Joined the iPhone brigade for the first time. I have always been a Samsung user and from the launch of iOS 13, I’ve been having this itch of trying out iPhone. I was hoping the 13 series will get TouchID but that didn’t happen.

Either way went ahead with the iPhone 13 Pro (Sierra blue).
Loving the form factor of this phone. And it’s extremely smooth overall esp 120hz is something must for me now.
Will plan for the Apple Watch probably next year.
punto_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:33   #14297
BHPian

After a month of using the 13 Pro Max, wanted to post some lesser know differences between the 13 and 12 Pro Maxes. Note the reason I’m mentioning these is mainly cause I don’t see them being talked about in most reviews I come across by the major YouTube tech channels.

1) Pro motion is huge, most reviewers call it a minor improvement, but to my eyes the 12 screen feels like 120 grit sandpaper every time I switch from the 13.

2) Thermal management is much better on the 13, the 12 used to start burning in my hand within 30 seconds of camera + lidar use (using Apples own iphone VR models from their site). Also screen dimming on max brightness doesn’t happen anymore, much more useable outdoors, specially for drone flying.

3) Camera lens flare is still an issue Apple has done nothing to resolve, gets annoying specially when facing bright lights at night.

4) Increased weight isn’t really noticeable but thickness is, you feel it immediately when switching devices and takes some getting used to. Having said that, at 240g if you don’t lift or workout regularly then your wrist will hurt after extended one handed use.

5) The right screen bezel is slightly thicker than the left, I checked different 13 pro maxes, all had it, even the VR model on Apples site has it when you zoom in. If you have a sharp eye, this might bother you.

6) Speaker and haptics are noticeably better on the 13, cleaner sound and louder.

7) Battery is easily 20% better in terms of screen time, finally lasts an entire day without needing to be charged midway.

8) Despite being 25% brighter at 1000 nits vs the 800 on the 12 pros, to access that last part you need to turn on auto brightness in settings and be outdoors (or under very bright lighting). On manual brightness at max the difference is very small, maybe 5% brighter at best when compared side by side.
AJ56 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:19   #14298
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally bought an upgrade to my aging nearly 5 year old IP 7+. Narrowed it down to a IP 13 Pro 256 GB, silver colour. I'm picking it up from the dealer tomorrow morning. The pro max is a little too large for my liking once it's fitted in a case. The IP7+ will be retained while I decide what to do with it i.e. trade it in to upgrade my android or use it as a backup set.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 22:43   #14299
BHPian

Guys I’ve been facing another issue with my iphone, the battery lasts an entire day(80% to 20%) but the moment I start playing fifa mobile or euro bus simulator the battery drains fast(approx 15% drop for 30min screen time). Anyone else facing this issue?
Old 10th December 2021, 01:01   #14300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Guys I’ve been facing another issue with my iphone, the battery lasts an entire day(80% to 20%) but the moment I start playing fifa mobile or euro bus simulator the battery drains fast(approx 15% drop for 30min screen time). Anyone else facing this issue?
Which device are you on? For me on the 13 pro max, it drops around 10% every hour on full brightness with graphics maxed out on call of duty mobile. Certain games are not optimised very well and will drain more power, SimCity being a good example. Real Racing 3 and GTA series games also drain around the same so I don’t think your battery is to blame.

If you notice your phone getting more than lukewarm to the touch then it’s a good sign the game is drawing too much power. You can always check your battery capacity remaining under data analytics in settings.
Old 10th December 2021, 01:26   #14301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Which device are you on?.
Iphone 13 pro max. I’ve also noticed the 10% drop per hour but it tends to be even lesser while watching videos. Unfortunately the cover somewhat masks the heat dissipated during gaming but I’m planning to drop gaming completely on it.
Old 10th December 2021, 01:31   #14302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Iphone 13 pro max. I’ve also noticed the 10% drop per hour but it tends to be even lesser while watching videos. Unfortunately the cover somewhat masks the heat dissipated during gaming but I’m planning to drop gaming completely on it.
Videos are very light on the processor so it will drain at a much lower rate than while gaming. Try it once without your case, the only game which the 13 pro max can’t handle is Genshin impact on maxed out graphics + 120 fps, every other game I’ve played it handles very well without overheating or reducing brightness. If all else fails take a backup on iCloud/iTunes and do a full factory restore.

Last edited by AJ56 : 10th December 2021 at 01:32.
Old 11th December 2021, 10:34   #14303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsunny View Post
It may be a message from someone who, after sending the message to you, then deleted the message. It may still show up as the original count (deleted message included).
Nope, all messages were there. It remains a mystery to this day.
For some reason, I'm reminded of this scene from the series Silicon Valley

The iPhone Thread-framed_screenshot.png

The original message sent contained 4 dots but the one received only had 3

AI playing tricks on us?
aan nhu mare? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 17:23   #14304
Senior - BHPian

An offtopic post for help.

I have around 1000 gbp worth of amazon vouchers which is valid only in the UK. I am planning to buy iphone but need help in getting it back to India (preferably to Bangalore). Is anyone returning/visiting India in Jan/Feb and ok to get the iphone for me please? None of my friends are planning to visit India anytime soon and hence the query.
Old 18th December 2021, 00:22   #14305
Distinguished - BHPian

iPhone update woes! Updated my 6S to iOS 15.2 and it never booted again! It has stuck in a Apple logo > black screen loop. I tried restoring the phone using iTunes (both on Mac and windows computer) but neither it gets updated not restored. It displays error 9 and says this iPhone can’t be restored due to unknown error.
I’m at my wits end to somehow restore it but have been unsuccessful.

Any solutions?
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 10:00   #14306
Distinguished - BHPian

GUys, how to convert a "Live" pic into a static pic. Phone is a 2017 SE. I checked on the web, but the options I found dont work on my phone.
Old 18th December 2021, 18:17   #14307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
iPhone update woes! Updated my 6S to iOS 15.2 and it never booted again! It has stuck in a Apple logo > black screen loop. I tried restoring the phone using iTunes (both on Mac and windows computer) but neither it gets updated not restored. It displays error 9 and says this iPhone can’t be restored due to unknown error.
I’m at my wits end to somehow restore it but have been unsuccessful.

Any solutions?
Update: took the phone to apple authorised service center and they tell me that it’s a fault in the logic board! I just cannot fathom how the phone was running perfectly since last 3 years and all updates installed just fine. The only thing I got changed recently was the battery and that too from the ASC itself. So, basically as per apple, the phone is bricked after I tried to update. Joke of the month: They are offering a refurbished phone (same specs) if I surrender my phone and Rs. 31K to apple.

I’m thinking of getting it repaired from third-party. So Bangalore guys(since Bangalore is accessible), any good third-party Apple iPhone repair shops like iRepair which can Undertake a logic board repair for a 6S?
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 22:20   #14308
BHPian

Quote:
Update: took the phone to apple authorised service center and they tell me that it’s a fault in the logic board! I
This what sucks about Apple - they just don't want to repair. For even the smallest of problems their solution is to get a new one.
Yours is 6S, my mother's XR in August this year (was 13 months old just out of the warranty) just died one fine day like yours did.
The phone was working fine, she took it out of the purse to make a call and it didn't turn on! Just died like that - stuck at apple logo.
Took it to the SC, they didn't give any explanation as to what is wrong, just said it can't be fixed and they can give a new XR for 40k!
We had bought a 128gb model so that she won't have to store media on iCloud and so, all was lost and she was really sad. Took it to some 3rd party repair shops, finally one of them managed to turn the phone on but he said earlier guys had damaged some component so the phone cannot receive mobile signal, rest everything was working fine.
Managed to salvage her media. Decided to try to factory reset it and restore via iTunes - turned out a very bad decision. After the reset, it gets stuck at 'cannot activate iPhone screen' and hence is just a brick. At least earlier I could use it as a media player.

Vowed to never buy an iPhone for myself, though I understand people like them & iPhones are best for elderly people (so dad and mom will continue to be on iOS) but the way Apple treats their customers is disgusting to say the least - i would have felt okay of the SC would have at least given me some backup of my data from the phone.

Last edited by Candy$Cars : 18th December 2021 at 22:23.
Candy$Cars is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 08:47   #14309
Senior - BHPian

Recently bought an iPhone 13 pro max for my wife, and like with all phones we use, quickly bought a Spigen case for the phone too. However, the three projecting cameras at the back seem like a potential issue, even with the Spigen armoured case.

I’m seeing a lot of lens protectors even from reputed brands like Spigen, Rhinoshield etc. has anyone used these? There are a lot of mixed reviews, mostly about the camera quality once we fix these so called lens protectors. I mean, if the photograph quality is compromised then there is no point, why would anyone buy a pro max phone and then end up with bad pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-f9cb468666d84af08d87ec3aa51bf2a9.png  

Old 19th December 2021, 09:43   #14310
BHPian

Quote:
Update: took the phone to apple authorised service center and they tell me that it’s a fault in the logic board! I just cannot fathom how the phone was running perfectly since last 3 years and all updates installed just fine. The only thing I got changed recently was the battery and that too from the ASC itself. So, basically as per apple, the phone is bricked after I tried to update. Joke of the month: They are offering a refurbished phone (same specs) if I surrender my phone and Rs. 31K to apple.

I’m thinking of getting it repaired from third-party. So Bangalore guys(since Bangalore is accessible), any good third-party Apple iPhone repair shops like iRepair which can Undertake a logic board repair for a 6S?
Not sure if you already tried hard resetting the phone?

https://www.wikihow.com/Hard-Reset-an-iPhone?amp=1
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks