Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2021, 21:00   #14326
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Update: took the phone to apple authorised service center and they tell me that it’s a fault in the logic board! I just cannot fathom how the phone was running perfectly since last 3 years and all updates installed just fine. The only thing I got changed recently was the battery and that too from the ASC itself. So, basically as per apple, the phone is bricked after I tried to update. Joke of the month: They are offering a refurbished phone (same specs) if I surrender my phone and Rs. 31K to apple.

I’m thinking of getting it repaired from third-party. So Bangalore guys(since Bangalore is accessible), any good third-party Apple iPhone repair shops like iRepair which can Undertake a logic board repair for a 6S?
Quoting myself due to an update.

DBHPian Condor shared a contact named Mr. Gururaj in B'lore. I spoke to him and his voice felt confident that he can bring the phone back to life. Although I had a few guys here in Ranchi too who were wiling to repair the phone but they didn't seem confident and I was not sure if they can undertake this repair. The problem was with the NAND chip and I trusted the guy in Bangalore. I shipped my phone to him through DTDC Plus and they delivered it in less than 48 hours flat. The phone was repaired in less 3 days. I checked some videos on YouTube and I can tell you that it was a very complex repair- both hardware and software wise. The guy shipped the phone back through DTDC Plus and they again delivered it in 48 hours flat.

I had a backup of the phone in my system which was less than a month old; so basically I was able to restore almost everything and lost no data at all.

I would like to thank Condor for sharing the contact of Mr. Gururaj. During the process, I spoke to Mr. Gururaj a lot of times and he is also a thorough gentleman apart from being a very knowledgeable and skilled technician. Thanks Condor for sharing the contact!

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th December 2021 at 08:52. Reason: Condor wants his ID to be protected. :D
saket77 is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 08:49   #14327
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
DBHPian Condor shared a contact named Mr. Gururaj in B'lore. I spoke to him and his voice felt confident that he can bring the phone back to life.
Saket - happy for you ! And happy to help. One thing about Gururaj is that he is upfront - he will tell clearly, what is possible, what is not, and what may be. He also repairs Laptops !

In case anyone wants his number, please DM me. Bangalore folks - he is often there at his office on Sunday, in case you cant go on other days.
condor is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 11:22   #14328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: took the phone to apple authorised service center and they tell me that it’s a fault in the logic board! I just cannot fathom how the phone was running perfectly since last 3 years and all updates installed just fine. The only thing I got changed recently was the battery and that too from the ASC itself. So, basically as per apple, the phone is bricked after I tried to update. Joke of the month: They are offering a refurbished phone (same specs) if I surrender my phone and Rs. 31K to apple.

I’m thinking of getting it repaired from third-party. So Bangalore guys(since Bangalore is accessible), any good third-party Apple iPhone repair shops like iRepair which can Undertake a logic board repair for a 6S?
Is this because Apple think your device is outdated? I had similar issues years ago for my 4s. Post that I moved out of the iOS ecosystem.
Usually this happens only after a specific period when you sync/ upgrade iOS
Old 30th December 2021, 12:19   #14329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had the same issue in my 2018 bought 2017 iPad Pro. This happened right after it crossed the 2 year mark. Apple said they will give me a new 2017 iPad Pro for 45-50K and this was in 2020.

I looked for options to get it fixed. It was madly frustrating given the price I had paid for purchase it. Gave it to Gadget Zippy - they did fix it - but were extremely secretive about what exactly was the issue. They just said it was a hardware issue. Charged me INR 9k. The glue marks around the screen were visible which made it evident that the screen was opened. The repair job also left a white spot on the screen. Lodged a complaint but Gadget Zippy never got back. End of the day, I had a functioning iPad but with all these issues.

P.S: Do share how much it cost you to get it fixed.
Pancham is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 12:23   #14330
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is this because Apple think your device is outdated? I had similar issues years ago for my 4s. Post that I moved out of the iOS ecosystem.
Usually this happens only after a specific period when you sync/ upgrade iOS
I’m not sure about this particular case because many 6S’s in my family got updated to 15.2 just fine. So mine must be an exception. But can’t comment about the timing of going bad.
Just like you, I also used a 4S in past. Apple literally pushed it to obsolescence through a plan named iOS 9. The phone was unable to handle it and went super slow to the extent that it became unusable. Now that is something called planned obsolescence for sure.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 13:00   #14331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I had the same issue in my 2018 bought 2017 iPad Pro. This happened right after it crossed the 2 year mark. Apple said they will give me a new 2017 iPad Pro for 45-50K and this was in 2020.

I looked for options to get it fixed. It was madly frustrating given the price I had paid for purchase it. Gave it to Gadget Zippy - they did fix it - but were extremely secretive about what exactly was the issue. They just said it was a hardware issue. Charged me INR 9k. The glue marks around the screen were visible which made it evident that the screen was opened. The repair job also left a white spot on the screen. Lodged a complaint but Gadget Zippy never got back. End of the day, I had a functioning iPad but with all these issues.

P.S: Do share how much it cost you to get it fixed.
Never heard of Gadget Zippy. Will look them up on Google. Thanks. Another bad about Apple is that they will not accept a third party repaired product for any future repair including a battery change. I’m little fussy when it comes to li-ion batteries so I prefer originals but that route is no longer open for my 6S now. Ironically, I had changed the battery of this phone just a couple of months back at Apple only.

Coming to the cost, It came to Rs. 4250/- for the repair. Spent another 700 odd on shipping both ways.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 15:34   #14332
BHPian

Quote:
Another bad about Apple is that they will not accept a third party repaired product for any future repair including a battery change. I’m little fussy when it comes to li-ion batteries so I prefer originals but that route is no longer open for my 6S now. Ironically, I had changed the battery of this phone just a couple of months back at Apple only.
Don’t worry about getting the battery replaced at Apple SC anymore. The genuine iPhone batteries are now readily available at third party repair shops and they do it for less than half the price what Apple charges.

Last year I got the battery of my IP7 replaced at Apple for 3500/-. Just two months later my friend got his from a trusted third party shop for merely 1750/- !! That’s the difference what Apple charges.

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 30th December 2021 at 15:36.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 15:58   #14333
BHPian

Quote:
I’m not sure about this particular case because many 6S’s in my family got updated to 15.2 just fine. So mine must be an exception. But can’t comment about the timing of going bad.
Just like you, I also used a 4S in past. Apple literally pushed it to obsolescence through a plan named iOS 9. The phone was unable to handle it and went super slow to the extent that it became unusable. Now that is something called planned obsolescence for sure.

Regards,
Saket.
I have 6S bought in 2015 so it is in its 7th year now and still it updated fine to latest iOS. Also, I too used 4S before this 6S.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 16:32   #14334
Senior - BHPian

I got new batteries for my old workhorse, the iPhone 6s at Apple Genius Bar, Dubai paying ED 180 (Rs 3,600). Old one was healthy but was (unpredictably) shedding charge. Apple wont be touching this mode anymore for repairs or exchange, they said. It's just too old, but performs like new even now. The new skin cost me AED 115
Quote:
I had changed the battery of this phone just a couple of months back at Apple only. Coming to the cost, It came to Rs. 4250/- for the repair. Spent another 700 odd on shipping both ways
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_6455.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 17:07   #14335
BHPian

So glad to see many of the folks here still holding onto their 6S. Not sure if it their primary device or just backup. For me it is primary device and has undergone battery change 2-3 times till now. Last being from cashify person who came home and did for for Rs. 1350 and it seems to be holding up well for last 5 months. It was obviously a 3rd party battery but I wasn't going to pay 3K for apple battery due to my previous experience with it where it went bad in just 6-7 months.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 17:13   #14336
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, if it aint broke - better use it. New phones aren't that reliable anymore. This Phone 6S performs well, else I would have exchanged it
Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
So glad to see many of the folks here still holding onto their 6S. Not sure if it their primary device or just backup. For me it is primary device and has undergone battery change 2-3 times till now. Last being from cashify person who came home and did for for Rs. 1350 and it seems to be holding up well for last 5 months. It was obviously a 3rd party battery but I wasn't going to pay 3K for apple battery due to my previous experience with it where it went bad in just 6-7 months.
Old 30th December 2021, 17:45   #14337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Initially, when I migrated to the 6S, I didn't like the design when pitched against the old 4S or iPhone 5-5S designs. But later the thin and lovely to hold form factor felt very comfortable and the looks grew on me. Today I find it beautiful, save for the bezels. My other phone is a 12 Mini, but when I think of it, there is no primary or secondary phone for me. I have equal uses for both the phone. I still run my Whatsapp on the 6S. This helps me charge the Mini on alternate days compared to the 6S which needs to be charged everyday anyway even with a new OE battery in it. I don't want to go through the e-Sim route and push both the sims in to the Mini, hence still using 2 phones. Cloud syncing makes them feel like one device anyway (including the Mac).
Old 31st December 2021, 10:00   #14338
BHPian

I have been using Apple's 20W brick to charge my iPhone 12. I watched a video yesterday where they said fast chargers can degrade phone batteries faster due to heat produced.
Am I inadvertently causing harm to my battery in the long term?
Old 31st December 2021, 10:57   #14339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quoting myself due to an update.

DBHPian Condor shared a contact named Mr. Gururaj in B'lore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

In case anyone wants his number, please DM me. Bangalore folks - he is often there at his office on Sunday, in case you cant go on other days.
I have a question. I dropped my XR and the back glass is now cracked. So if I need to change the battery, I am assuming Apple will not touch my phone right? Will Gururaj be able to help? As in to get the battery changed? I am not keen on changing the back glass as it doesnt bother me anymore. I have slapped on a case so I hardly notice it.
Old 31st December 2021, 12:17   #14340
BANNED

Just an update for the iPhone lovers. Vijay Sales is offering mouth watering discounts on iPhones. I got two iPhone 13 with a discount of Rs 5000 each. In addition, I am getting Rs 5000 cashback on each phone from Amex. They also offer some freebies with the phone. So, if anyone is planning to upgrade, check it out soon. Today is the last day of the sale.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-721603ed0e634184a7adeac7ce165c95.jpeg  

s.jain1990 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks