Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2021, 16:03   #14356
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I completely agree with you, none of the apple parts available in the market are genuine. All those who claim that they sell genuine parts are just fooling you.

Also, all those who plan to get their phone batteries replaced from a local shop, please don't. I have seen many cases where the battery started to bulge and pushed the screen up, causing permanent damages the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
How are you sure that the seller outside has genuine apple battery? As far as I know no one outside of Apple in India atleast has access to their parts at all and all are chinese knockoffs of different qualities.
Quote:
Also, the battery you are talking of, not sure about your reasoning but I got that changed in that 6S of my sister's too and got that done for 600 bucks. This battery looks exactly like Apple's, had about the same markings and the phone actually displays the battery health as 100% when it was connected, it is at 96 now i guess. Needless to say it is a chinese knockoff but many people will sell it as OEM, which it is not.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st December 2021 at 19:50. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 31st December 2021, 17:25   #14357
BHPian

Does anyone here know how to esacalate iPhone device issues in India?

My newly bought 13 Pro Max has been with apple support for the last 3 weeks (started giving display issues on day 1 and was reported on Day 3) and they are still trying to 'Find' the issue.

I'm being shuffled between local Apple support team and Apple Bangalore Tech Support withou any concrete updates. Everyone just 'understands' my position without any conclusive help.

Any social media handles I can tag to get some attention? (Sorry, not very savvy on Twitter, Insta and such).

Any help shall be appreciated.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 19:10   #14358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I think you can safely share Mr Gururaj's number on the forum if he does not mind it so that everyone can benefit(else, please pm me).
I have not checked with him if I can share his number on the forum. Will do after I return to BLR.

For now, sending by PM
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 21:59   #14359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Hello!

Will it be a good decision to go for iPhone XR? It won't be an upgrade for sure but may be a better battery performance?
I have the iPhone 12 now and had the XR before.

In many ways, I think XR was a superior model to the 12:
  • Battery life - iPhone XR had a better battery life after 2 years of use as compared to a brand new iphone 12. With light use, my new iphone 12 is already going into battery saver mode by bedtime, but XR retains 35-40 % charge after equivalent usage with both phones starting the day at 100%.
  • Sound - I found the built in speakers of the XR to have more depth and fullness of sound as compared to the iPhone 12. Although still better than most Android phones, the latest non-pro iphones have inferior sound compared to previous generations.
  • Form factor - the XR was ideal in terms of form factor for typing etc, as it is wider and shorter. The iPhone 12 provides the same 6.1 inch diagonal dimension on paper, but it is achieved by making the phone taller and less wide. This causes the keyboard to be narrower. I end up making many more typos in the iPhone 12 compared to the XR.
  • The iPhone 12 supposedly has a retina display and much higher resolution, plus it is an Amoled panel as compared to the LCD panel on the XR. However, other than while watching photos or movies, I much preferred the display of the XR for most tasks like reading text or documents. It is somehow brighter, more pleasing to my eye. It is possible iphone 12's display has been dulled slightly to protect one's eyes, but in the end it does not pop as well as the XR's

Although the 12 has a considerably faster processor than the XR (being two generations ahead), I did not see a perceptible difference in performance for any of the Apps I use. I am not a gamer, so that may explain this. The squared edges of the 12 are indeed more appealing and convenient to hold and the smaller size is good if you are walking or running with the phone.

So all in all,the XR is a great phone and is available for steal prices. It should hold up well for at least another 3 years. But if you plan to keep the phone beyond that, you could get an iPhone 11, which is also available at good deal prices occasionally on Flipkart etc. The 11 has all the advantages of the XR as it has the same form factor and screen, but faster processor and a dial camera.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 31st December 2021 at 22:10.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 23:21   #14360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
[*]Form factor - the XR was ideal in terms of form factor for typing etc, as it is wider and shorter.
Thank you for the detailed comparison.

Well, I love small phones. Form factor is the only reason i am still holding on to SE 2020 (Yup, small phone = small battery, but didn't expect this bad)

My only concern is-
If telcos manage to deploy 5G network by second half of 2022, and if it turns out to be as good as we think it would be, XR would feel obsolete right away. I would then have to either switch to 5G capable androids or to go for expensive iPhone 13 mini.
AjinkyaP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 23:36   #14361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
My newly bought 13 Pro Max has been with apple support for the last 3 weeks (started giving display issues on day 1 and was reported on Day 3) and they are still trying to 'Find' the issue.
Saddened to hear your troubles with a brand new iPhone Jaspreet, certainly not acceptable after spending so much money.

As far as I know Apple had a policy of a replacement device if there are issues with the phone in seven days. If your phone was given to them on day 3 after purchase, do not accept any repair. Insist on a brand new phone, I don’t think they are in a position to refuse you if you bring the roof down.

Enough is enough, please go to the store/service centre, raise hell and demand a new phone in exchange of the lemon they have given you.

Do keep us updated and all the best.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 31st December 2021 at 23:40.
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 01:41   #14362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Hello!
I have an iPhone SE 2020 bought a year ago.
While form factor,performance,camera,software experience is delightful , the battery life is absolutely pathetic.

Will it be a good decision to go for iPhone XR? It won't be an upgrade for sure but may be a better battery performance?

Don't want to go back to android and not comfortable with spending more than 35-40k on a new iPhone.
Stay away from iPhone XR. I currently own it and the battery backup is just average for a phone of this size. This is the only reason I will be upgrading to iPhone 13 soon. OLED+Dark Mode will surely give better battery backup than LCD iPhone XR.
BMW_Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 08:28   #14363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrakkar View Post
Does anyone here know how to esacalate iPhone device issues in India?

I'm being shuffled between local Apple support team and Apple Bangalore Tech Support withou any concrete updates. Everyone just 'understands' my position without any conclusive help.

Any social media handles I can tag to get some attention? (Sorry, not very savvy on Twitter, Insta and such).

Any help shall be appreciated.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you have tried calling apple support. Few years back, my apple watch Series 1 was having 3D touch issue after the warranty was expired. I contacted customer service through the apple website if I remember well, and later got a call back from their support in Singapore. Upon explaining them my situation, the case was transferred to a local support in Kochi and the watch was replaced as a goodwill gesture.
bhp_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 10:16   #14364

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Saket - happy for you ! And happy to help. One thing about Gururaj is that he is upfront - he will tell clearly, what is possible, what is not, and what may be. He also repairs Laptops !

In case anyone wants his number, please DM me. Bangalore folks - he is often there at his office on Sunday, in case you cant go on other days.
Hi Condor - My sister's iP11 Pro has bricked. The iRepair folks have given-up. I would like to try Mr Gururaj's expertise. Please share his contact details.
Old 1st January 2022, 11:29   #14365
BHPian

Hi,

I broke screen of my watch SE , 44mm , what are my options for repair ? Any one has done watch repair outside apple repair centre, looking dor cheaper options.

Should have bought apple care also , but now
Old 1st January 2022, 12:29   #14366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hope you have tried calling apple support. Few years back, my apple watch Series 1 was having 3D touch issue after the warranty was expired. I contacted customer service through the apple website if I remember well, and later got a call back from their support in Singapore. Upon explaining them my situation, the case was transferred to a local support in Kochi and the watch was replaced as a goodwill gesture.
Yes, have been through that loop as well; even they aren't doing much except for being very courteous on the call.
Old 1st January 2022, 12:30   #14367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Saddened to hear your troubles with a brand new iPhone Jaspreet, certainly not acceptable after spending so much money.

As far as I know Apple had a policy of a replacement device if there are issues with the phone in seven days..........

Cheers
Thanks a lot for the advice, I guess that's the only way left for me to pursue!
Old 1st January 2022, 14:35   #14368
BHPian

Apple doesn't repair apple watches, they just provide a replacement. The replacement cost is almost the price of a new watch.
The best option would be find the display on aliexpress. Also, the watch will no longer be water resistant after display replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hi,

I broke screen of my watch SE , 44mm , what are my options for repair ? Any one has done watch repair outside apple repair centre, looking dor cheaper options.

Should have bought apple care also , but now
Old 1st January 2022, 19:46   #14369
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Form factor - the XR was ideal in terms of form factor for typing etc, as it is wider and shorter. The iPhone 12 provides the same 6.1 inch diagonal dimension on paper, but it is achieved by making the phone taller and less wide. This causes the keyboard to be narrower. I end up making many more typos in the iPhone 12 compared to the XR.
I think you got it wrong here. They made it narrower by trimming the side bezels. If you check the aspect ratio of both devices you will see that the 12 maintains the same 19.5:9 aspect ratio of the XR and 11. Which means the width of the screen should be remaining the same.

PS: I haven't used either and am basing my analysis on the specs available in GSMArena. Apologies in advance if the numbers I have used for my analysis is wrong.
Old 1st January 2022, 20:26   #14370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have the iPhone 12 now and had the XR before.

In many ways, I think XR was a superior model to the 12:
Which was the company of manufacture of your XR and 12?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks