Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 06:26   #14386
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I have used the shortcuts app and have created an automation to turn lower power mode on at 11 in the night. Moreover, another automation scheduled at 12:30 in the night turns off the cellular data, WiFi and Bluetooth connections. This is followed by another automation that kicks in at 7:30 in the morning and turns the WiFi back on and reactivates the normal battery mode at once. Using these automations, I am able to stretch my 6S battery to 24 hours between charges. On the 12 Mini, I am easily able to go 48 hour plus! This is with moderate use for both.
Thanks for sharing. Can you please list the steps on how these automations are done?
Old 19th January 2022, 06:59   #14387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for sharing. Can you please list the steps on how these automations are done?
Please refer this link.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guid...d602971e63/ios
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 09:16   #14388
Team-BHP Support

Shifted back to an iPhone after ~3 years.

The large size of good androids made me switch. I was using the Samsung S10 lite with a Snapdragon 855 processor, absolutely had no issues, my better half broke her phone & took this from me, I too was tired of a large phone and wanted something smaller. Was considering the Z Flip from Samsung, but poor battery life (as I read few reviews) and the folding mechanism (in my books is not fool proof) forced me to switch. Had the Samsung S21 (the plain jane one) been coming with Snapdragon processors, I wouldn't have shifted. I am using Mac products, so getting back to iOS space is not new, but will say, the newer Androids have caught up in terms of fluidity / speed.

The biggest task was to transfer chats, tried the usual move to iOS, but didn't work. Paid & used the method suggested (video link below the post), chats from 2020 were there on the iPhone. Ohh, btw, got the 13, 256GB in starlight, am using a fantastic Rs. 300 cover from amazon by Egotude (waiting for latercase to arrive) its amazing, a spigen screen protector which is very good.

Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 13:53   #14389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Sure, it is easy creating these.

Open Shortcuts App> Automation> Click on "+" > Create Personal Automation > Choose option as per your usage; for eg. time of the day > Specify a time >Next> Add action (you can also search for apps/actions)> Disable ask before running to run the action on its own and you are done.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:05   #14390
BHPian

Quote:
Previously, the 6S would drain anything between 12-17% battery overnight in standby. But now it drains just 5% at max.
So, you can also try these automations and improvise the timings/ actions as per your suitability. Trust this will help some.
Also, if you have some good and creative automations/ shortcuts created on your phone, please share so that we could unlock the potential of one of the least used but powerful iOS built-in apps.

Regards,
Saket
Thanks for this tip Saket!

I was aware about this automation thing that is available on the IP’s, but never really bothered to use myself. But after reading your post, I thought of trying it & it works pretty well.

I shall try to hunt some more shortcuts now.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:24   #14391
BHPian

I turn off bluetooth and wifi on my phone and put it in low power mode using automation (shortcuts). Then again another short cut will turn them all back on at like say 6 am in morning or so. This helps reduce battery drain at night.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 22:28   #14392
BHPian

My home has lot of automation, I am using shortcuts
to open the parking gate, turn on lights and the moment I get connected to home wifi, it will play the music on HomePod, my way of saying, I am home
a4_attitude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 08:46   #14393
Senior - BHPian

I’m yet to come across the right protective solution for my wife’s iPhone 13 pro max! As soon as we got the phone, I got her the Spigen tough armour case, so that’s fine, but the trouble is the protruding cameras. The Spigen case does it’s job, but the 3 cameras seem to sit just below the case lip, so there is a fair risk involved.

I checked out various lens protectors from Spigen and Rhinoshield etc, but all these lens protectors invariably seem to ruin the image quality, so I dropped the idea of a glass lens protector.

I could only think of a even bulkier case like the otterbox defender which might, again I don’t know, but might offer a higher lip on the camera opening slot.

Anyone has found any other solutions to this potential issue?

In general Apple should have designed the camera protrusion in the Max series better. I have an iPhone 12 and it has no such issues.
Old 20th January 2022, 12:33   #14394
Senior - BHPian

I had been gifted amazon uk points by my ex employer and I didn't know what to buy. So even though I was happy with my current iphone X and had no need, I purchased iphone 13 pro (sierra blue) in UK. It is currently with my friend and I will receive it only next month when he returns. Have started looking out for a good case. Any suggestions? Even though I love clear cases I am wary of the fact that it eventually turns yellow which looks very bad.
Old 20th January 2022, 13:58   #14395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I love clear cases I am wary of the fact that it eventually turns yellow which looks very bad.
That and somehow clear cases are warm to touch resulting in sweaty palms. After many tried and failed products, like the Onyx cases - always cool.
Though you can never go wrong with Apple leather (not silicone). I dont mind spending a lac on phone but 6 grand on case?
Jangra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 14:09   #14396
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure, it is easy creating these.

Open Shortcuts App> Automation> Click on "+" > Create Personal Automation > Choose option as per your usage; for eg. time of the day > Specify a time >Next> Add action (you can also search for apps/actions)> Disable ask before running to run the action on its own and you are done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Thanks a lot! Setup a couple of shortcuts today. Will see how this will help with the mediocre battery life of the 12 Mini
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 20:50   #14397

Folks,

I am a Iphone 7 user and want to upgrade to a better version. I currently use 32 gb so I am open for 64 or 128gb ones.Iphone 7 is of the right size for me hence I want something which is compact. I would love to hear from people who own 11/12mini and 13mini.
Old 20th January 2022, 22:31   #14398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post
Folks,

I am a Iphone 7 user and want to upgrade to a better version. I currently use 32 gb so I am open for 64 or 128gb ones. Iphone 7 is of the right size for me hence I want something which is compact. I would love to hear from people who own 11/12mini and 13mini.
I myself upgraded from a 2016 purchased iphone 32 GB to iphone 12 mini 128 GB in Oct 2021 & have been extremely happy till date. Though I was tempted to go for an iphone 13mini which has better battery (most important), better cameras in the same form factor as 12 mini, the deals going around on Flipkart sealed it for me.
Further to your point, the difference in terms of handling (as this is a smaller size phone than iphone 7) with a bigger screen, better performance, LED screen instead of LCD, better battery life and processor - makes it worthwhile to go for the upgrade. For me at least, the difference was almost night and day in terms of day to day use itself.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 14:55   #14399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Anyone has found any other solutions to this potential issue?

In general Apple should have designed the camera protrusion in the Max series better. I have an iPhone 12 and it has no such issues.
I think the extra protrusion of the 13 pro max cameras is totally worth it considering the stellar image quality one gets with the 7 element lens.

Keep in mind any film/protector you apply to the lenses will result in a reduction in image/video quality as it’s a another layer between the camera and the subject.

I’d suggest checking out the multiple drop and abuse tests people have done on the 13 pro max on YouTube, the camera lens are made of sapphire glass, much harder than screen glass and nearly impossible to scratch, short of direct drops on say gravel (even then scratches aren’t guaranteed) or taking a blade to it, I don’t think it should be a major issue. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PradoGdr88 View Post
Folks,

I am a Iphone 7 user and want to upgrade to a better version. I currently use 32 gb so I am open for 64 or 128gb ones.Iphone 7 is of the right size for me hence I want something which is compact. I would love to hear from people who own 11/12mini and 13mini.
I’ve used my moms 12 mini extensively and while it’s a great small phone, it’s let down severely by the lack of screen brightness (600 nits typical) and a small battery (barely get 4-5 hours of screen on time)

Both of these issues are somewhat addressed in the 13 mini, with 800 nits (same as the 12 pros) and a larger battery. Cameras I can’t say as I haven’t used the 13 mini personally, my 13 pro max is much better than the 12 mini but we’re comparing apples to oranges.

All in all I’d say get the 13 mini if you can, otherwise 12 mini isn’t bad either (just remember to carry a power bank when stepping out). Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 21st January 2022 at 15:09.
AJ56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 15:01   #14400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
the camera lens are made of sapphire glass, much harder than screen glass and nearly impossible to scratch,
In the three years that I have had the Iphone 8+ without a case, the camera has taken as much abuse it could but hasnt got a single scratch. The rear glass is also broken after sliding on a gravel patch and the camera has been cleaned with whatever cloth possible. Yet zero scratches. Even the screen has taken very minor scratches visible in bright light but not the camera.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed