Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:36   #14461
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Not at all, going by Apples wording I don’t think it’s going to come back anytime soon. It’s something I didn’t even notice even when it was enabled, would say it’s a non issue to be honest.

Do consider the 13 before finalising the mini as, though slightly improved, the battery life still doesn’t last the entire day unless you’re a very light user. Cheers.
Thank you AJ56 for the reply. She prefers compact phones, one of the primary reasons I was looking at 13 Mini. She's a moderate user and the S9+ she has now lasts a day and half. By the way, i've placed the order
Bibendum90949 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 07:27   #14462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thank you AJ56 for the reply. She prefers compact phones, one of the primary reasons I was looking at 13 Mini. She's a moderate user and the S9+ she has now lasts a day and half. By the way, i've placed the order
I agree with the above comment on the battery life of the Mini. I have an iPhone 12 Mini and love its compact form factor. My plan was to skip the 13 series altogether and change phone when the 14 arrives later in Sep-Oct ’22. But with the atrocious battery life I may trade-in the Mini for a 13 Pro in April. I hear that the battery of 13 Mini is slightly better than the 12 but still won’t be good to last for a day. The small size is indeed a big draw though
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 08:44   #14463
BHPian

I recently bought the iPhone 13 (non pro) after using 6S for more than 6 years and this one is a huge upgrade for me. The battery life and how long apps stay in RAM are couple of things I really like. With my usage, I am able to go to almost full 48 hours before needing to charge.
And the fact that I am working between apps and can come to same state of the app is great which is due to enhanced RAM. My 6S would reload an app in almost all cases.
Also since I baby sit my electronics, I bought the spigen tough armor and ESR Screen Protector even before the phone got delivered.
raksrules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:50   #14464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
And the fact that I am working between apps and can come to same state of the app is great which is due to enhanced RAM. My 6S would reload an app in almost all cases.
This is a very important point that you have made here. I too own a year old iPhone 12 Pro & a 5 year old iPhone 7. The difference between the RAM management of these two phones is stark!

Having said that, please be wary of updating your 13 with a major point software, as I have noticed that the fluidity of RAM management drops a bit with a major software update. Happened the same with me when I updated my 12 Pro for the first time to 14.7 and then 14.8.1.

Now I am a bit hesitant to update my 12 Pro to 15.3. However, the upcoming 15.4 update will be very tempting and necessary as it’ll allow to unlock the phone with the mask. So maybe I will HAVE to jump onto the 15.4 update.

P. S.: I recently updated my IP7 to 15.3 and there isn’t any improvement in terms of the RAM management. Apps reload everytime I open then. Even lighter apps like thr Messages, WA, etc.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:38   #14465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree with the above comment on the battery life of the Mini. I have an iPhone 12 Mini and love its compact form factor. My plan was to skip the 13 series altogether and change phone when the 14 arrives later in Sep-Oct ’22. But with the atrocious battery life I may trade-in the Mini for a 13 Pro in April. I hear that the battery of 13 Mini is slightly better than the 12 but still won’t be good to last for a day. The small size is indeed a big draw though
Consider the 13 pro max if battery is something you’re concerned about. I get around 9 hours of screen on time on max brightness on the pro max, as per YouTube tests the pro is around 30% less than this so if you’re wanting all day battery life I’d say skip the pro (comes out worse than the 13 even in all the battery tests done by tech YouTubers). Cheers.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 13:02   #14466
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Consider the 13 pro max if battery is something you’re concerned about. I get around 9 hours of screen on time on max brightness on the pro max, as per YouTube tests the pro is around 30% less than this so if you’re wanting all day battery life I’d say skip the pro (comes out worse than the 13 even in all the battery tests done by tech YouTubers). Cheers.
Thank you! My wife is on 13 Pro Max but that’s too big for me. I like smaller phones, that’s why moved from 11 Pro to 12 Mini. So if changing phone, it will be 13 Pro, as that looks to be good compromise on size. I was perfectly happy with the battery of my 11 Pro – easily used to last the whole day. Even the battery backup of my daughter’s regular 12 is pretty good (when compared to the Mini).
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 12:52   #14467
BHPian

Rumours are gaining traction regarding next gen iPhone SE.
Unfortunately it suggests the same design as iPhone SE 2020 but with updated internals like 5G capable A15 chip and MagSafe.

I hate that huge forehead and chin of current SE, would love to see thinner bezels and improved battery capacity.
Old 7th February 2022, 19:39   #14468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjinkyaP View Post
Rumours are gaining traction regarding next gen iPhone SE.
Unfortunately it suggests the same design as iPhone SE 2020 but with updated internals like 5G capable A15 chip and MagSafe.

I hate that huge forehead and chin of current SE, would love to see thinner bezels and improved battery capacity.
I think Apple should have played it smart by launching the SE 2022 with the IP 12 / 13 Mini body. That would have been really great for them.

I wonder how much sales it would garner with a 5 year old design! Heck, one wouldn’t even notice this to be a latest phone with a full case on.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2022 at 06:31. Reason: typo
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 19:47   #14469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I think Apple should have played it smart by launching the SE 2022 with the IP 12 / 13 Mini body.
Exactly , when iPhone 12 mini was unveiled , people called it 'true iPhone SE'.
But i dont expect them to give us that design considering their notorious profit margins.

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th February 2022 at 06:32. Reason: Quoted post edited
AjinkyaP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 08:47   #14470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think Apple should have played it smart by launching the SE 2022 with the IP 12 / 13 Mini body.
I feel that’s a possibility probably from the 2023 model range. Rumors are that 13 is the last Mini and this year’s range will be 14/14 Max and 14 Pro/14 Pro Max.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 09:21   #14471
Senior - BHPian

Then who will buy the Mini? They're just playing smart
Quote:
I think Apple should have played it smart by launching the SE 2022 with the IP 12 / 13 Mini body. That would have been really great for them. I wonder how much sales it would garner with a 5 year old design! Heck, one wouldn’t even notice this to be a latest phone with a full case on.
Old 8th February 2022, 11:58   #14472
BHPian

As per most reports the mini lineup is going to be discontinued anyway and replaced by a non pro max size (6.7”). SE is basically the entry point to Apple’s ecosystem and services and the low price is made possible by reusing the older designs (SE 1 used an iPhone 5 chassis) and SE 2 uses the iPhone 8 chassis with upgraded internals, it’s also the only new iPhone currently sold that still has Touch ID.

Personally I’d rather buy a refurbished 1-2 year old pro iphone directly from Apple at the same price over a new SE if I had budget restrictions as I feel they’re much better value but everybody’s needs are different.

Last edited by AJ56 : 8th February 2022 at 12:00.
Old 8th February 2022, 14:50   #14473
BHPian

Have to agree that continuing with the same design since 2014 (iphone 6) for any phone is not great. While I understand Iphone SE has been cheaper phone in Apple line-up, the design, screen tech (LCD), and price for India just does not cut it anymore. Heck, I hope they are somehow able to increase the battery life on new SE as the 2020 version had some concerns on same.
While android world operates differently, it is worth noting that features like amoled display, high refresh rate, bigger and better battery, full screen display with negligible bezels are something which are coming now in phones which cost half of what SE costs.

For this to succeed, they will either have to drop the price to somewhere around 25 K INR and start with 128GB version, so that it can generate some pull. But this seems like a wishful thinking from my part.
Turbo_anup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:22   #14474
BHPian

Wonder why they cannot use the iPhone X/XS chassis for the 2022 SE. The iPhone 6-8 chassis is too obsolete for 2022.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 20:47   #14475
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone been facing Face ID issues in the iPhone off late? I have an iPhone 12, less than 8 months old, but I’m kind of feeling that Face ID has been slow to respond and find myself typing out the passcode more often. I’m on the latest OS 15.3, did a reset of Face ID as well.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed