Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 18:47   #14791
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, my iPhone battery health is showing a 82%. Having to charge a little more frequently now.
More than the battery health %, how is the battery performance? Has it deteriorated significantly in that using any app drains it exponentially faster? If not, keep the phone until you want to change. At five years, the hardware may not be able to keep up with the OS/app requirements as efficiently so even a new battery won't give you performance as it would on a newer phone.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 19:46   #14792
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Condor, forget battery percentages, period.

I would wait for the 14 which will be out in the next few months ..
I'm on the mini phone bandwagon, and for my usage, the 14 is pretty much out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
More than the battery health %, how is the battery performance? ..At five years, the hardware may not be able to keep up with the OS/app requirements as efficiently ..
Normal app usage it looks ok. It's just few basic stuff: camera, calls, MyGate, quick checks on browsers (1-2 min) incl some twitter notifications and the like. The ones that are longest are when I use the hotspot to keep my laptop connected.
I am also not on the latest iOS version.

But I get the point you both mention. Will try hold on to it for some more time. In no hurry, but just wanted to plan ahead.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 19:52   #14793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
One of my dear friends volunteered to pick one 13 from the US in his return, but I don’t see any price benefit.
With the depreciating rupee there is hardly any benefit in the getting the phone from US or even UAE, unless it is the Pro series.

If you wish to stick with the Vanilla / Regular 13 / 14 series phones, you’re better of getting them from India only.

Buzz is that Apple will start manufacturing the regular iPhone 14 pretty early, maybe even this year itself. So expect a good pricing in a few months from launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
At five years, the hardware may not be able to keep up with the OS/app requirements as efficiently so even a new battery won't give you performance as it would on a newer phone.
100% true. I had replaced my iPhone 7 battery sometime ago, but even after that the phone never restored to the ‘original’ performance as such. The apps would still restart if opened after a while, it would heat up after a call or watching YT vidoes, etc. The battery back up too was average.

Sure, the improvement is seen, but if you’re expecting back to ‘originals’ then that’s not going to happen.

I think 5 years is a good time to let go this phone or make it a secondary at best!
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 08:48   #14794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
You can get them from here: https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram
Thanks for the update. I am not one of the beta testing types. I would wait for the official version to come out and enjoy what the whole world enjoys.

Quote:
Condor, forget battery percentages, period.
I have some earth shattering news to report.

My 13 Promax battery health dipped alarmingly in last 2 weeks from 99% to currently at 95% battery health and this is exactly after 10 months of ownership.

However, I am happy to report this dip has in no way effected the duration.

I still get 22 hours-26 hours each full charge cycle depending on how heavy or light I use.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:30   #14795
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My 13 Promax battery health dipped alarmingly in last 2 weeks from 99% to currently at 95% battery health and this is exactly after 10 months of ownership.
Shocking indeed, how did it fall so quickly? Did you leave the device under the sun for long? Or exposed to heat or something?

When was iPhone 11 Pro launched in India? 3 years back?

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20220809-9.24.27-am.jpeg

The iPhone Thread-whatsapp-image-20220809-9.24.29-am.jpeg
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:33   #14796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have some earth shattering news to report
Oh my God, this is earth shattering news indeed

Now you have absolutely no option but to buy the 14 Pro Max Absolute proof that God works in mysterious ways, please get the 14 Pro Max as soon as it’s released so you don’t get stunned when the battery percentage dips to 90. Our poor heart can only take so much. Maximum limit of two smileys crossed unfortunately.

Take care buddy.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 13:32   #14797
BHPian

Quote:

I have some earth shattering news to report.

However, I am happy to report this dip has in no way effected the duration.

I still get 22 hours-26 hours each full charge cycle depending on how heavy or light I use.
Mine too has fallen to 96%, 9 months old with 277 cycles on the battery. Still did much better than my 12 pro max which was at 87% after 275 cycles. Here are the numbers-
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-74a484e32dcc4b1aaf19f36ffa7a7d58.jpeg  

AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 17:10   #14798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have some earth-shattering news to report.
What's so "earth-shattering"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Shocking indeed, how did it fall so quickly?
Don't all phone batteries lose some percentage over the years? I don't get the excitement.

If the phone does not work for you anymore, get one that does. Thankfully, with God's grace, we can afford new phones even if Apple does charge an arm and a leg and a kidney for one.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 17:56   #14799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I believe that post was in jest and not to really say that the issue is earth shattering.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 23:25   #14800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shocking indeed, how did it fall so quickly? Did you leave the device under the sun for long? Or exposed to heat or something?

When was iPhone 11 Pro launched in India? 3 years back?
2019 phone and its just 95% battery health lost? Are you using it or is safely tucked in your cupboard switched off?

I don't know how but, you seem to be one of the lucky ones as most folks face the battery health drop to 95% within the first 1-1.5 years and then it becomes stable.

2 things changed :

1. I stopped treating the phone like "Demi god (My wife makes fun of it like that)" and charge it little more adhoc. Otherwise, I was partcular for it to drop to 20% and then charge to 100%

2. I forgot the phone in car under hot sun for a full day. Not sure if this effected in any way.

However, as mentioned the battery cycle has not effected. One example from yesterday

Charged to 99% at 9:30pm yesterday night.

Today morning at 7:30am (After 10 hours) the battery dropped to only 95%. And, I don't sleep at 9:30pm and was using the phone until midnight.

Quote:
Oh my God, this is earth shattering news indeed

Now you have absolutely no option but to buy the 14 Pro Max. Absolute proof that God works in mysterious ways, please get the 14 Pro Max as soon as it’s released so you don’t get stunned when the battery percentage dips to 90. Our poor heart can only take so much. Maximum limit of two smileys crossed unfortunately.

Take care buddy.

Cheers

You are the only one who knows my phone related heartburns...LOL!

Looks like Tim Cook in his mysterious moves like you said is coaxing me to prep for a 14 Promax. Looks like I have no other respite but, get one when its released. Sigh !

Thanks for the emotional support and keep watching this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Mine too has fallen to 96%, 9 months old with 277 cycles on the battery. Still did much better than my 12 pro max which was at 87% after 275 cycles. Here are the numbers-
Thank god. I have company. Here is the screenshot that I took just now of my phone.

The iPhone Thread-img_5358.png

I didn't check the battery cycle as I find the process painful. Will check soon and reply later on how many cycles my phone has completed.

But, how is your battery holding up? Are you getting 24 hours to a single charge?

Also, are the new iPhone batteries designed to lose the health fast without really losing the usage cycle? I am unable to comprehend that Jaggu's phone is at 95% even after 3 years and our 13 promax dropped to 95%.

What's the logic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

Don't all phone batteries lose some percentage over the years? I don't get the excitement.

If the phone does not work for you anymore, get one that does. Thankfully, with God's grace, we can afford new phones even if Apple does charge an arm and a leg and a kidney for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I believe that post was in jest and not to really say that the issue is earth shattering.
Navin, you missed seeing the "grinning" emoticon after my sentence.

As TT mentioned, I said it in jest.

"Finally", god has moved on from you to me and has been kind, I too can afford to buy a 14 or 15 or whatever the heck number they release next. LOL!

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th August 2022 at 23:30.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 00:57   #14801
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't check the battery cycle as I find the process painful. Will check soon and reply later on how many cycles my phone has completed.

But, how is your battery holding up? Are you getting 24 hours to a single charge?

Also, are the new iPhone batteries designed to lose the health fast without really losing the usage cycle? I am unable to comprehend that Jaggu's phone is at 95% even after 3 years and our 13 promax dropped to 95%.

What's the logic?
I’ve not noticed any drop in battery life, I get max 9 hours of screen on time as I always run on full brightness with moderate to heavy camera use and occasional gaming. According to apple the iPhone battery has been designed to retain a minimum of 80% health at 500 cycles.

If our phones are at nearly 300 cycles and have lost only 5-6% of health that’s actually much better than average. With any lithium battery, heat is the biggest enemy, just make sure your phone doesn’t overheat (easier said than done) given our weather.

Quote:
2 things changed :

1. I stopped treating the phone like "Demi god (My wife makes fun of it like that)" and charge it little more adhoc. Otherwise, I was partcular for it to drop to 20% and then charge to 100%
Please don’t do this with any lithium based cell (Li-po, Li-Fe or Li-ion), lithium batteries do not have any memeory effect, they do not like dipping below 35% soc and do not like going above 80% (that’s why optimised charging holds the battery at 80% until it predicts you’ll be unplugging it soon and only then takes it to 100%). 80-30% is the sweet spot.

See the description for a shortcut for viewing the cycle count, no more scrolling in the log file

Last edited by AJ56 : 10th August 2022 at 01:06.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 10:31   #14802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please don’t do this with any lithium based cell (Li-po, Li-Fe or Li-ion), lithium batteries do not have any memeory effect, they do not like dipping below 35% soc and do not like going above 80% (that’s why optimised charging holds the battery at 80% until it predicts you’ll be unplugging it soon and only then takes it to 100%). 80-30% is the sweet spot.
My Samsung has this nifty feature to limit the charging at whatever percentage I want, my iOS devices do not. Is iOS 16 coming up with battery charging limiter (I have not updated myself on what the iOS 16 update would be having, just heard the beta has too many issues / bugs so did not bother).
Old 10th August 2022, 11:11   #14803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you using it or is safely tucked in your cupboard switched off?
This is my primary phone running two VOLTE Sim's, most consumption by emails and WhatsApp.

Quote:
I don't know how but, you seem to be one of the lucky ones as most folks face the battery health drop to 95% within the first 1-1.5 years and then it becomes stable.
I don't know, I use it 24/7 charge it when it drops below 40% randomly, otherwise on wireless charger through the night when sleeping. Once in a month or two, do a complete discharge and recharge cycle. That is all.

Quote:
2. I forgot the phone in car under hot sun for a full day. Not sure if this effected in any way.
Bingo that's it, heat is the worst enemy.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th August 2022 at 12:58.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:25   #14804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
"Finally", god has moved on from you to me and has been kind, I too can afford to buy a 14 or 15 or whatever the heck number they release next. LOL!
I just get a new phone whenever the old one starts giving me too much trouble. These smartphones have more power in them than I could ever hope to use. I don't see any reason to upgrade unless the phone starts dying, is lost, stolen, damaged, dropped in water, etc.

Quote:
Please don’t do this with any lithium-based cell (Li-po, Li-Fe or Li-ion)
I have an iPhone too. I don't know which version. Must be 10, 11 or 12. It has "wireless" charging, which means that you can place it on a "wireless" charger and charge using electromagnetic induction.

I think "wireless charging" is a misnomer. When I first got the phone, I thought it could charge via Wifi. I was thrilled that they got such technology and a bit upset when I was asked to buy that charging station for electromagnetic induction. . They should have called it Inductive Charging or something. Wireless means Wifi.

Anyway, now that I got that base station, I just keep the phone on the base station all day. It's usually at 100% because I barely use a mobile phone unless I am "mobile" aka in the car. I still get most of my calls on via a wired connection (aka "land line"); don't laugh, I still have a fax machine that is working and a Telex machine that isn't. Will keeping the mobile phone on the base station all day kill the battery?

Quote:
Bingo that's it, heat is the worst enemy.
Mobike lives in Seattle Jaggu; there is no "HOT" Sun there. You don't even need sunblock if you go to the beach.

Last edited by navin : 10th August 2022 at 12:31.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:30   #14805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AJ - I have said this before, just saying it again. Please think about it, if you do everything these so called “experts” recommended, take the pain of looking at percentages, start living for the phone battery etc etc, instead of just using your phone and charging as necessary, how much do you think the battery life would increase. I feel it would make a difference of maximum a couple of months of battery life, not a spectacular difference.

Why bother with all this nonsense they feed you! Just use the phone as it’s meant to be used, charge whenever you like or as per your needs. I have never bothered with this stuff and my phone and battery have worked just fine over the years. Just for the sake of this post I checked my battery percentage, it’s at 83% on a November 2019 iPhone 11 with no issues in my usage or otherwise. I charge it whenever I like, don’t check the battery percentage and have never seen battery cycles, haven’t bothered to know how to do it either.

Of course, as with everything else, your phone, your rules. Just saying

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks