Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2022, 12:33   #14911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
All iPhones sold in the US market model 14 onwards will have no sim tray irrespective of the carrier. In other words, anyone buying 14 models from there for wherever have no option but buying one with no sim tray. This was made very clear in the presentation.

Cheers
But we can use it here in India right because all the carriers have e-Sim facility?
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:34   #14912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
But we can use it here in India right because all the carriers have e-Sim facility?
Yes I am using Jio esim on my 13 pro
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:41   #14913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
We can use it in India for sure since e-sim facility is available here by all carriers. Only hitch if at all will be if the dual sim functionality will still be available for phones without the sim tray. Here I believe we can have one physical sim and an e-sim, not sure if two e-sim’s would be possible. I am sure this will get cleared in the coming days or someone in the know can clarify.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 15:54   #14914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
We can use it in India for sure since e-sim facility is available here by all carriers. Only hitch if at all will be if the dual sim functionality will still be available for phones without the sim tray. Here I believe we can have one physical sim and an e-sim, not sure if two e-sim’s would be possible. I am sure this will get cleared in the coming days or someone in the know can clarify.

Cheers
If I'm correct, we can have up to 10 e-sims registered on our iPhone but only be able to use two e-sims at a time.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT21...to%20an%20eSIM.
mak.prasada is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 21:31   #14915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkgrg View Post
Water and other liquid damages are not covered under the one year limited warranty, that comes by default on iPhones (not sure about Apple Care though). So while they are IP68 rated I am still not sure as to how safe they are under water. Yours might be a one off case. If Apple was so sure of their devices, they would have included it in the warranty terms by default.
We never took it for a warranty claim and we knew its not covered. It more of a service request to the Apple Care center. Service center executive was more confident on the iPhone IP68 rating and he was right.
Old 10th September 2022, 09:34   #14916
mtk
BHPian

With the absurd pricing for 14 Pro Max in India, I have decided to ask my sister to get it from the US when she’s coming down in October.

However, I hear that all the iPhones sold in the US will have no sim tray. Just eSim. I am ok with that as I’ve been ‘sim less’ since 2020.

My doubt is if I get a factory unlocked iPhone without sim tray, will it work in India?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th September 2022 at 10:08. Reason: Grammar
mtk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:23   #14917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk View Post
However, I hear that all the iPhones sold in the US will have no sim tray. Just eSim. I am ok with that as I’ve been ‘sim less’ since 2020.

My doubt is if I get a factory unlocked iPhone without sim tray, will it work in India?
Have you faced any issues with sim-less connection - data/voice ?

You can check with people who can unlock phones. Current models are regularly unlocked, but need to check if this new model can be done as easily.
Old 10th September 2022, 10:46   #14918
mtk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Have you faced any issues with sim-less connection - data/voice ?
Not at all. All flawless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You can check with people who can unlock phones. Current models are regularly unlocked, but need to check if this new model can be done as easily.
Yea. Need to check in the store itself before buying. Pretty sure there will be some Q&A somewhere on the internet.
Old 10th September 2022, 10:47   #14919
Senior - BHPian

It shows so evidently Apple now has reached saturation point for innovation. Not only Apple, it's the entire smartphone market.

But, trust me, touch feel, ios integration makes the user feel the ios experience to be far more superior to android phones. I switched to S22 ultra last weekend and writing this with my S22 Ultra no doubt this phone is a beast but still lacks the finesse in terms of overall OS execution of Apple. I miss the Siri as she used to manage few tasks on my 12 mini seamlessly. Regardless, if people are planning to go for new 14 models, I strongly recommend going in for pro line up and not the regular 14 which isn't too distinct from 13 models.

I love how the pill doubles up as an intuitive screen to show more information.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 10:54   #14920
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What an iconic brand & what an iconic product. I am a diehard Android fan and will probably never own an iPhone. Still, there was so much buzz around the launch of the 14 that I read all the comments on this thread, as well as a few discussions on Reddit.

In each decade, we probably just see one or two such iconic nameplates being created. Truly, the benchmark premium smartphone.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 12:36   #14921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk View Post
Of course it will work. It has been always been working in the past, no different now. Only difference is iPhones for the US market will have no sim tray, that’s all.

On a separate note, just spoke with someone from the Maple Store at Linking Road in Khar, Mumbai. The 14 range will be available from 16th September for viewing and delivery. They have started pre-booking already as has the Apple India site with options to exchange your old device.

Will be checking out the 14 Pro Max around the 16th and if I find it ok to use will be getting the 256 Pro Max mostly in the deep purple shade.

Mobike, if you are reading this, when are you getting yours and what colour. I am reasonably sure that Mr. Cook must have won you over

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 10th September 2022 at 12:42.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:35   #14922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shitij View Post
Just keep in mind about local laws and the restriction on certain features. For example, UAE has a law against Facetime, so phones sold at the Apple store in UAE doesn't have Facetime. Amazon UAE has euro spec phones all the time, so buy from there. Australia phones are as good as India ones so nothing to fear over there.
This was true for the older models, for example when I got my iPhone 4 and 7 in the UAE, they didn't have facetime. But later when I got the 11, it did have facetime but just that it didn't work in the UAE (like whatsapp/messenger calling).
Old 10th September 2022, 16:20   #14923
BHPian

Who in their right mind would go for a 14 plus over a 13 pro max, no 120hz pro motion, no stainless steel chassis, no telephoto lens, no LIDAR, worse display brightness (800 nits vs 1000 on 13 pro max), exact same chip, same RAM, negligible price difference between the two.

One thing I don’t see any reviewer mention about the 14’s, just like the 13’s, is they’ve got a thicker chassis at 7.85mm vs the 13’s 7.65mm and 12’s 7.4mm. The reason this is important is, when I switched from the 12 pro max to 13 pro max, the extra 0.25mm thickness was immediately felt, but could be justified (somewhat) as 13 had a much larger battery, but 14’s don’t get any change in battery size (14 pro max battery is marginally smaller infact.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do you guys use the Apple 20 watt charger only or any other one as well?

My wife's IPhone 13 which we got in April is always charged by my Samsung 25 watt charger and never had an issue. Battery health is still at 100%. So, just wanted an opinion if it affects the phone in anyway.
If it’s designed for a 20W brick, use a 20W brick. Anker makes excellent ones much cheaper than Apple. More than the type of brick used, make sure the phone doesn’t overheat by removing any cases and charging in a chilled room with direct airflow over the phone. Nothing kills battery health like heat.

Last edited by AJ56 : 10th September 2022 at 16:33.
AJ56 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 23:05   #14924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Who in their right mind would go for a 14 plus over a 13 pro max,
I think 13PM will be out of stock very soon and the remaining stock is selling at a discount of 10-15k in India but the price is still a lot more than the price of 14Plus. May be if one can source from US or UAE then it's a different story. On paper yes 13PM is definitely better than 14plus with 120hz display and one extra lens. 14plus only has a marginally better modem and satellite calling feature that probably won't work in India.
Old 10th September 2022, 23:44   #14925
BHPian

It is cheaper to fly to Thailand, buy an iPhone 14 pro max 256 GB than buying it here.
RodRowdyBiker is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks