Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2022, 12:31   #14941
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
One thing I don’t see any reviewer mention about the 14’s, just like the 13’s, is they’ve got a thicker chassis at 7.85mm vs the 13’s 7.65mm and 12’s 7.4mm. The reason this is important is, when I switched from the 12 pro max to 13 pro max, the extra 0.25mm thickness was immediately felt, but could be justified (somewhat) as 13 had a much larger battery, but 14’s don’t get any change in battery size (14 pro max battery is marginally smaller infact.)
The iPhone Thread-untitled.jpg

Could be because of the increase camera bump? So, that means the covers for the 14 will be more bulky and the one designed for the 13 series won't fit it.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:14   #14942
BHPian

Guys need your help,
How can I back up my iPhone to a External Hard disk directly?

I do not have sufficient storage on my Mcbook for backing up my iPhone. So thought of backing it up on an external hard disk.
Old 12th September 2022, 13:25   #14943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Attachment 2357675

Could be because of the increase camera bump? So, that means the covers for the 14 will be more bulky and the one designed for the 13 series won't fit it.
Nope, camera bumps are not counted in chassis thickness. The cases never fit properly between generations, apart from thickness and camera bump size increases, Apple also varies the position of the sleep/wake button every so slightly from the last gen, this was true for 11 to 12, 12 to 13 and now from 13 to 14. See below, the chassis itself is thicker-
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-98eb9db88d4c4451a4f78a09bb371326.png  

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th September 2022 at 13:30.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 13:31   #14944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
How can I back up my iPhone to a External Hard disk directly?
You can connect the hard disk to your Mac and then back it up. I do it the same way.

This article explains how it can be done.
mpthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:36   #14945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I switched to a 12 mini. Except for the battery life and smaller screen size , you won’t miss out on much.
My wife has a 2 year old 12 mini. At times when I pick it up I am reminded how good these devices are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
his exciting feature "Dynamic Island"
What a stupid name, and the internet is trolling it left, right and center. On one side they claim that the idea is stupid, while at the other hand they claim that Samsung did it earlier. But make no mistake, everybody is going to copy it sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
14 series won't have any extra discounts in BBD except for the current 5-6k
You are right. I have to wait for another year if I need some discounts.

Actually am having second thoughts about the 14 plus. Shouldn't I simply settle for the iPhone 12 and use the money saved to add an Apple watch to the mix? The new health related features sound interesting although am not very sure how useful they are in real use.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 19:59   #14946
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
My wife has a 2 year old 12 mini. At times when I pick it up I am reminded how good these devices are.

and use the money saved to add an Apple watch to the mix? The new health related features sound interesting although am not very sure how useful they are in real use.
The iPhone Mini is simply delicious as a form factor. I went for a 13 Mini recently and am going to make it my primary device while using my 12 Pro Max primarily as a camera.
You can consider reading the dedicated thread on this very forum, on the Apple Watch and its health features. I personally am a total aficionado for the reasons mentioned in that thread.
Old 12th September 2022, 20:06   #14947
Senior - BHPian

Am I reading this right? Amazon has listed 1TB iPhone 14 pro model for 1.80L :O

Pricing is atrocious regardless of how premium apple products are!
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-screenshot_20220912170242_amazon.jpg  

Last edited by gururajrv : 12th September 2022 at 20:07.
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 20:11   #14948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You are right. I have to wait for another year if I need some discounts.

Actually am having second thoughts about the 14 plus. Shouldn't I simply settle for the iPhone 12 and use the money saved to add an Apple watch to the mix? The new health related features sound interesting although am not very sure how useful they are in real use.
I have never used an iPhone personally. Always been an android guy. My wife is using iPhone 13 since April this year and whenever I play around with it I like it a lot. Especially the cameras. I was thinking of getting the 13 pro max as I am use to of 6.7 inch screen size but it's overpriced in India so I am going to settle with iphone 13 and go with 14 pro max next year from outside India preferably.

Don't go for the 12. I believe 13 will be 10k-12k more. Go with 13 as it gives you better camera and battery life for sure.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 22:52   #14949
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The 48 mega pixel shooter will still shoot at 12 mega pixels only, if you want to take advantage of the 48 you need to shoot in the ProRaw mode. Have said that, supposedly the clarity should be far better than the 13 Pro Max.
I have no doubt that clarity of every subsequent model of iPhone will have a better camera as their primary USP is camera for selling their phones which has displaced DSLR’s from the market.

Nikon and Canon’s must hate cook. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
This information is based on a video on the first hands on posted by MKBHD. I guess you must have seen his videos, I like his videos a lot. No nonsense, great presentation and content.

Don’t be confused, go get it.

Cheers
Who doesn’t like MKBHD. Huge fan of his soothing, no nonsense feedback and absolutely love his diction and choice of words. Spot on!

Hope you subscribed to his new channel-Autofocus which will primarily be on cars and mostly EV’s, I reckon.

14 Promax will come shortly. I guess that wasn't a surprise to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I stay in OYO when traveling on rushed business trips
We stay in a 4/5* when traveling with family

A phone sees thousands of hours of use - its a no brainer for those who have the disposable income.
Kudos to your thought process.

I’m lucky from that aspect as my wife doesn’t like to spend on unnecessary things. Well, I more than make it up to her.

Quote:
14 Plus is nothing but, 13 in a new avatar. The funny memes of Apple products is applicable to this one product. Get the pro versions.

Apple Watch 8 was a disappointment. They added exactly 3 things

Crash Sensor
Menstrual Cycle Calculator
Faster Chip

First two could be pushed through an OS update, so don’t know why they need to release a watch for these features. Nonetheless, I was looking to upgrade my Apple Watch 6 but, this definitely does not make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Am I reading this right? Amazon has listed 1TB iPhone 14 pro model for 1.80L

Pricing is atrocious regardless of how premium apple products are!
Why get the 1TB version. I always buy the 128 GB and pay for iCloud subscription. Works much more seamless and worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
was thinking of getting the 13 pro max as I am use to of 6.7 inch screen size but it's overpriced in India so I am going to settle with iphone 13 and go with 14 pro max next year from outside India preferably.
Welcome to iPhone. Once you get caught in the greedy clutches of Tim Cook. There is no looking back. Be ready to become a pauper like me. LOL!

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th September 2022 at 22:54.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:11   #14950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope you subscribed to his new channel-Autofocus which will primarily be on cars and mostly EV’s, I reckon.

Haven’t yet subscribed to his Autofocus as I am not a fan of EV’s. For me it’s gasoline till I die. Have read your reviews on them though, very detailed and interesting.

No surprise at all, you are doing exactly what I used to do before iPhone 11, analyse everything properly and buy the new iPhone on the first day Look forward to your hands on with the Pro Max. What colour are you getting?

I am waiting to check it out too. Hope I can use it with my PWM (Pulse Width Management) issues, if I can, I am getting the 14 Pro Max in deep purple and finally good bye to my 11.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 12th September 2022 at 23:15.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:27   #14951
BHPian

A query from a non iphone user.

I am looking to replace my aging OnePlus 6, its 5 years old and has no physical damage whatsoever. However the battery life has reduced and the phone has slowed down noticeably.

I am not a very heavy user of a phone and major use is :
- Photography
- Videos (need good quality)
- Photo editing app - Snapseed
- Social media apps - Instagram, LInkedin & Whatsapp
- Basic Office tasks - Teams and outlook
- Music - Spotify
- Google Maps

Above said are the apps I use 99% of the time I operate the phone.

I am not looking for any specific feature but overall a mobile which I can use for the next 5 years without hiccups.

I am looking forward to get an iphone 13 (256 GB), is it worth the cost and will it last that period without much of slowness or battery issues?
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 23:34   #14952
BHPian

Quote:
I have no doubt that clarity of every subsequent model of iPhone will have a better camera as their primary USP is camera for selling their phones which has displaced DSLR’s from the market.

Nikon and Canon’s must hate cook. LOL!

Congrats on the 14 pre order. Yes what got me was the $5000 Sony camera losing to the 13 pro max in a blind photo comparison in one of Max tech’s videos last year, couldn’t believe such shots were taken by a phone.

Quote:
14 Plus is nothing but, 13 in a new avatar. The funny memes of Apple products is applicable to this one product. Get the pro versions.
100%, it’s almost the same chip, 1 extra GPU core and new front camera is hardly reason enough to take it over the 13. 13 pros are much better value than a 14 plus at almost the same price.

Quote:
Why get the 1TB version. I always buy the 128 GB and pay for iCloud subscription. Works much more seamless and worth the money.
128gb variants just like last year don’t get pro res video at 4k, limited to 1080p. Lowest I’d get is 256gb.

Rest if you’re into lossless audio or need to access to photos/video instantly without internet access or buffering, you need good local storage, or if you have heavy gaming apps that run 15-20gb per app.

I have 350gb left and still can only record 44 mins of pro res 4k 30 fps video for reference. Storage is something you can’t change after buying so always err on the side of having extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

I am looking forward to get an iphone 13 (256 GB), is it worth the cost and will it last that period without much of slowness or battery issues?
5? It’ll last much longer with zero slowness, provided you replace the battery every 2-3 years as needed. My 6S is over 7 years old and it’s even faster than it was when new thanks to the brilliant iOS optimisation by Apple for all its devices, not just the new ones. Even my 27” iMac from 2010 runs like day 1 (although I hardly use it now), just shows how well the products are engineered.

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th September 2022 at 23:47.
AJ56 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 00:30   #14953
BHPian

Am I the only one who is looking forward to 14 plus more than the 14 pro. I have always wanted a big screen iPhone and the Pro Max’s were always out of budget for me. And thanks to the crazy price difference of 40k between the 14 plus and 14 pro in India, it absolutely makes no sense for me atleast to go for the pro. I know the A16 is superior and the lovely little island on Pro is also pretty awesome. But for me the bigger screen seems more useful and looks more appealing. All my previous iPhone’s ( 5s,6,8 and XR ) have been normal screen sized one’s. So this time really looking forward to own a bigger screen iPhone for a change. If only I had someone flying from US or Canada, then I would have picked the 14 Pro instead of the 14 plus.

Last edited by speedfreak01 : 13th September 2022 at 00:34.
Old 13th September 2022, 00:37   #14954
BHPian

Was able to update my iphone 8 pro to ios16.

So far everything looks ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
However the battery life has reduced and the phone has slowed down noticeably.
Is this the only issue? You can try replacing only the battery maybe it brings back the performance.

Or are you really trying to upgrade, in that case i would recommend 13 pro for the budget conscious since you mentioned camera.

But as you retain the phones for long maybe go with the latest and greatest iphone 14 pro. (Max if you need a bigger screen) phone would easily last 4-5 years. (I currently use a 2017 iphone 8 pro that i only replaced the battery)

Last edited by Sheel : 13th September 2022 at 08:52. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 03:03   #14955
BHPian

I preordered the iPhone 14 Pro 256 GB in Space Black. I patiently waited for Apple to replace the notch which I absolutely can't stand, the Dynamic Island looks a lot better to me. It's gonna be a huge upgrade from the iPhone 8 which I've been hanging on to. The projected delivery date is between 10-17 October, can't wait!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed