Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 15:14   #15016
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
More than 5G, I will be worried more about the display. Its not A molded but LCD HD.
Nothing to worry about with the screens either. The 11 has a LCD screen whereas later models have OLED screens. There is a difference between the brightness and screen quality with the OLED’s but LCD works absolutely fine even outdoors in bright sunlight. I am using the iPhone 11 since November 2019 and extremely happy with everything.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 15:41   #15017
BHPian

I dont know if I am late to the party, but TrueCaller has finally started to work on iPhone’s. Just updated the app on my XR and wife’s 11 and it works flawelessly. Finally able to identify those spam calls.
speedfreak01 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 16:32   #15018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Nothing to worry about with the screens either.
Hi, thank you for this. I'm just a bit concerned with the battery levels after number of years of updates. I'm into gaming so hopefully it will last for a day. After using Android for about 10 years, I believe it's time for a change. Will get to know why iPhone is an iPhone.
Old 20th September 2022, 17:22   #15019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
I'm just a bit concerned with the battery levels after number of years of updates. I'm into gaming so hopefully it will last for a day. After using Android for about 10 years, I believe it's time for a change. Will get to know why iPhone is an iPhone.
The battery should easily last you for a day. Buy a 18 or 20 watt fast charger, if you run out of juice, 15 minutes will give you plenty to not get stranded. I still get a day with heavy usage say from 0900 to midnight, maximum I give it a boost around 10 pm maybe.

Beware once you start using an iPhone any and every Android phone (flagship devices) out there will seem slow. It’s not only about outright speed that you will feel a difference, it’s also the smoothness and overall finesse which is just not there in Android phones. I am currently on the latest iOS 16, the phone still runs and feels like it did on day 1.

Go get it and welcome to the iPhone world. Just to be very clear, Tim Cook doesn’t give me any commission for talking good about Apple, I pay for all the products
Cyborg is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:43   #15020
Senior - BHPian

I found that google transliteration for Marathi works very well on iPhones. That's a relief.

Some questions about iOS:

In google photos, there is an option called 'storage saver', where a 9MP photo around 3 megabytes is compressed to 500kb. This reduces the photo size, but more photos can be stored online. I found that storage saver quality is enough for my purpose. Any idea how can one reduce the back up quality of photos and videos?

Any way of saving whatsapp status other than screen recording?
Old 20th September 2022, 23:45   #15021
BHPian

Quote:
I will be checking the 14 Pro Max for myself, but the outlook doesn’t look very promising to say the least.
I think checking a phone at any store doesn't give the ideal real life condition. First the lights in the store are bright enough to keep the screen at full brightness and half the problem is solved there. Then again it's embarassing to keep fiddling with a new device in a store for more than 5-10 minutes even though it's for customer display. There may be other customers waiting to check the same device.

There is a rumour that the regular 14 is now 1040hz and the pro is at 880hz which should be better and one more reason for me to go for the 14 instead of the 13.
Old 21st September 2022, 01:51   #15022
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

After getting a confirmation from my company that they will still pay my bills if I move from a physical sim cellphone to an e-sim (Which is a huge relief !), I placed an order today of my new iPhone 14 Promax in Deep Purple color which will replace my "aging and needing crutches in a few months phone"- iPhone 13 Promax.

The iPhone Thread-img_8504.jpg

As you can see the delivery date is more than a month away.

I am in no hurry as I get to enjoy the 13 Promax for few more weeks before I trade-in for the new kid on the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBeeR View Post
P.S: The dynamic island thingy isn't that special. You'll stop noticing it after a few tries. I'll soon post my experience of moving from Android to IOS.
Really? I thought it was a next level feature and even MKBHD quoted all OEM’s will scramble to copy this feature. What you didn’t like about it?

Quote:
Beware once you start using an iPhone any and every Android phone (flagship devices) out there will seem slow. It’s not only about outright speed that you will feel a difference, it’s also the smoothness and overall finesse which is just not their in Android phones. I am currently on the latest iOS 16, the phone still runs and feels like it did on day 1.

Go get it and welcome to the iPhone world. Just to be very clear, Tim Cook doesn’t give me any commission for talking good about Apple, I pay for all the products
Firstly, it's unfortunate that you are not in a position to upgrade your 11 to 14 due to PNW issues. I still think you should buy it and use it for a few weeks before completely giving up on it.

Resale will never be a problem as you very well know.

Lastly, the comments above reminded me of myself. We both love Apple so much that we should be termed as hard-core “Fanboys” and deserve front row seas at every apple event in Cupertino.

Jokes aside. Getting into Apple Eco-system is a “One-Way” route. TC makes sure he closes the gate behind you. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
There is a rumour that the regular 14 is now 1040hz and the pro is at 880hz which should be better and one more reason for me to go for the 14 instead of the 13.
I thought all iPhones come with 120HZ and new 14’s which have the “Always-On” display drop to 1HZ to save the battery.

I didnt quite understand the HZ references you mentioned?
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 07:56   #15023
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Getting into Apple Eco-system is a “One-Way” route. TC makes sure he closes the gate behind you.
Jumping over the closed gate is not that difficult – I did that after a long association with iPhone (the 12 series was the last)
In its current form, I don’t see any massive advantages compared to some other flagships (say Samsung or Google), in many ways the competition fares better. Already looking forward to the 15 range now.

I like the way Apple have built the ecosystem and the way their products work so seamlessly. And it’s a masterstroke that they converted a possible weakness (pill cutout) into a major talking point/feature – the Dynamic Island (the name almost sounds like a Netflix show).

Except for me, our household is still strong on iOS – my wife is looking to offload the 13 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max, and my daughter is weighing her options on jumping from 12 to 14 Max, or inheriting mom’s phone; the latter looks more likely as 13 Pro Max is a superior device than the regular 14 Max.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 21:36   #15024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Jumping over the closed gate is not that difficult – I did that after a long association with iPhone (the 12 series was the last) :)
In its current form, I don’t see any massive advantages compared to some other flagships (say Samsung or Google), in many ways the competition fares better. Already looking forward to the 15 range now.
Good on you. :thumbs up

I have only seen folks who moved from Android to Apple and very rarely who jumped over the Apple ship.

Advantages of an iphone is specific to a user and the eco-system that they have invested in. I have been an Apple user for over a decade and have heavily invested in everything Apple. Advantages of being in Apple eco-system has been discussed to death here so I won't repeat myself but, can highlight the "user experience" is so satisfying.:loveit

Btw, I don't even bother to know what phones come in Android/Samsung or the OS releases they do. I am sure they are ahead of Apple in features department.

But, when Apple releases the same a few years later, you can bet it will be way more smooth and most importantly will work through it's eco-system (Phone, iPad, Macs, Watches, HomePods etc).

Android does not have that problem to think so they get features out the gate faster.

Good on 'em too I reckon and folks who use it.
mobike008 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2022, 22:38   #15025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I think checking a phone at any store doesn't give the ideal real life condition. First the lights in the store are bright enough to keep the screen at full brightness and half the problem is solved there. Then again it's embarassing to keep fiddling with a new device in a store for more than 5-10 minutes even though it's for customer display.
No issues at all in checking the phone at the store. Just did today and as luck would have it I was the only one in the store, two girls were there but they were finished and left as I entered. The store I went to is on Hill Road, Bandra West, Mumbai. I don’t find this embarrassing at all Carpainter, if I am paying them 1.5 lac rupees (256gb Pro Max) what’s to be embarrassed about.

Not only did I check it for ~35 minutes but had the sales person even switch off a couple of lights for me besides toggling the auto brightness, bold text, tried the Whitepoint, basically did almost whatever I would do to my phone after setup. Difference was I had to watch uTube through Safari as demonstration pieces don’t have the uTube app and the security wire could not be removed.

Not a single 14 Pro series phone was available, all units sold. They are expecting a new batch in two weeks. Not that it makes a difference to me now.

Quote:
I placed an order today of my new iPhone 14 Promax in Deep Purple color which will replace my "aging and needing crutches in a few months phone" iPhone 13 Promax.

Firstly, it's unfortunate that you are not in a position to upgrade your 11 to 14 due to PNW issues. I still think you should buy it and use it for a few weeks before completely giving up on it.

Lastly, the comments above reminded me of myself. We both love Apple so much that we should be termed as hard-core “Fanboys” and deserve front row seas at every apple event in Cupertino.

Jokes aside. Getting into Apple Eco-system is a “One-Way” route. TC makes sure he closes the gate behind you.
Congratulations on the new phone! The Deep Purple colour is gorgeous, good choice.

Oh man, played with the phone as I mentioned above in reply to Carpainter, watched a few Motojitsu videos too (maybe you know about this person, superb bike content).

It’s a definite no go again my eyes started burning in 10 minutes, even then persisted at it for ~35 minutes. No point in buying it brother, I spend a lot of time on the phone, cannot take a chance with my eyes. Didn’t feel comfortable again for around an hour after that.

Instead of front row seats at the Apple event let’s try and negotiate with Tim Cook for a 0.001 percentage of profits to be shared between us for promoting the brand

Agree about the Apple ecosystem too. I have used a lot of Android phones, once all the worms have died about custom launchers, icon packs etc etc the Android side loses its sheen. Apple products just work with such smoothness and finesse that you just cannot accept otherwise.

I have another brand new spare iPhone 11 also in case I need it as it’s discontinued now. Should be all right for updates and stuff for another 4 years for sure. Then we shall see.

Do post photos and your impressions after you receive your phone.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 21st September 2022 at 22:48.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:27   #15026
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have been an Apple user for over a decade and have heavily invested in everything Apple. Advantages of being in Apple eco-system has been discussed to death here so I won't repeat myself but, can highlight the "user experience" is so satisfying.
Same here, not an alien to the ecosystem and still a part of it. My work phone is an iPhone, and still use the Airpods Pro, Apple Watch, Macbook, etc. And I never felt constrained by the Ecosystem. For example, the brilliant Airpods Pro is the only headphones I use now. It works very well with my S22 or the Lenovo work laptop. Yes, the Apple watch can pair only with an iPhone, but even otherwise it’s still a delightful device to use.

What I feel about iPhone is that Apple made it in such a way that the users (or fans) feel the need to upgrade every year. At least that’s what was happening with me – after the initial weeks, the euphoria of the new device dies down and then the wait starts for next September. And the same is happening with my wife as well. The 13 Pro Max is brilliant, but apparently bored of it and now need to jump to the new one. I expect the cycle to repeat in 12 months

Last edited by vb-saan : 23rd September 2022 at 10:34.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:39   #15027
BHPian

I have stayed away from the Apple iPhone till now and have no plans to ever purchase this (overpriced) product. IMO the newer iterations of the iPhone are nothing special and can only be thought of as an incremental/marginal upgrade. The bump up in the performance is hardly noticeable for the average user (like myself!). I do not foresee myself splurging over 1L INR on a mobile phone ever in this lifetime.
Old 22nd September 2022, 10:09   #15028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
BBD is around the corner and my wishlist for my next iPhone stretches from the iPhone 12 to the 14 pro max.
Flipkart kept it's promise of 50K but only for a few minutes. Perhaps under 30 minutes. And the screens were erroring out at cart and payment. Then the price increased to 52K and then I managed to order a blue color (I wanted the starlight). I was so frustrated in between that I went to Amazon and tried buy the iPhone 12 instead but held myself back at payment.

Flipkart deal @52K is sweet enough as the card discounts (2K) compensated for the price increase.

Now the wait starts.
dragonfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:28   #15029
BHPian

Quote:
Flipkart kept it's promise of 50K but only for a few minutes. Perhaps under 30 minutes. And the screens were erroring out at cart and payment.

Now the wait starts.
I think, the sale date is 23rd right? How are you seeing these deals today?

When 13 was launched, 12 was priced at 54 & 59K respectively for 64 and 128 gigs. There is nothing special with 13's pricing. These are damn expensive than many other phones in the market.
Old 22nd September 2022, 11:29   #15030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Flipkart kept it's promise of 50K but only for a few minutes. Perhaps under 30 minutes. And the screens were erroring out at cart and payment. Then the price increased to 52K and then I managed to order a blue color (I wanted the starlight). I was so frustrated in between that I went to Amazon and tried buy the iPhone 12 instead but held myself back at payment.

Flipkart deal @52K is sweet enough as the card discounts (2K) compensated for the price increase.

Now the wait starts.
Wait! All this while they advertise a 49990 price tag and that was only reserved for Flipkart Plus members? I missed the fine print that the sale starts early on Sept 22 for FP members. I am a member but I thought they will start tomorrow. Is there a chance it will be back to INR 49990?

Currently its INR 55000.

Last edited by Pancham : 22nd September 2022 at 11:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks