Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2022, 16:32   #15121

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I'm looking for feedback on some questions.
Hello,

I'm an iPhone user for many years, maybe I can answer some of your queries

1. You cannot have a completely blank home screen, you would need to keep at least one app icon - in the top left corner. Also, whenever you download a new app, it's app icon will be placed by default in the first available empty space.

2. WhatsApp now supports switching between iPhone and most Android phones.

3. Google Photos and OneDrive can backup your photos and documents to your Google Drive/account, they cannot backup your iPhone. iCloud on the other hand can not only backup your photos and documents, it can also regularly backup your iPhone and iPad - apps, photos, documents, settings and all. This is where iCloud truly shines. Though it is not a must, but I highly-highly recommend it. Imagine a situation where you need to move your setup to a new iPhone (upgraded to newer model, replaced device, etc.) - with iCloud backup it is a breeze. Just sign-in with your Apple ID on the new device and choose restore from iCloud backup.

4. Photos clicked on the iPhone camera will by default be saved to the iOS Photos app, Google Photos can be setup to backup those photos to your Google Drive/account.

5. This is somewhat difficult to answer. The Govt. of India (CERT) recently (IIRC effective Sep 25, 2022) imposed rules requiring VPN service providers to collect and share data like customer names, email addresses, and IP addresses when asked. Many major VPN service providers are said to have shuttered their services in India because it would breach their privacy protection standards.

6. Yes
metalheadnomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 17:22   #15122
AZT
BHPian

I have moved completely to Apple Maps from Google Maps and the interface has grown on me. The distance, time, and routes are the same but Apple shows more options. Pleasantly surprised.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:19   #15123
BHPian

I am in search of a nice clear cover which hold up well with minimal yellowing and provides a tactile button feedback for iPhone 13. Along with the case, I am looking for a screen protector too. I'll be happy to have suggestions to make the selection process easier.
Old 30th September 2022, 19:30   #15124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
I am in search of a nice clear cover which hold up well with minimal yellowing and provides a tactile button feedback for iPhone 13...
Yellowing on clear cases is a 'when' not 'if' situation, irrespective of brand.

Spigen ones are probably the best out there.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:37   #15125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Yellowing on clear cases is a 'when' not 'if' situation, irrespective of brand.

Spigen ones are probably the best out there.
Yes, I completely agree. By minimal, I meant to say that the yellowing process is slow and the case remains "clear" for relatively longer time.

Spigen was on the cards but the poor rating of 3.5 for the TPU clear case was holding me back to click on the 'Buy Now' button. The TPU + Poly Carbonate clear case has better rating of 4.2. The latter is in consideration.
FrAgile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 19:46   #15126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
...TPU + Poly Carbonate clear case has better rating of 4.2. The latter is in consideration.
If you habitually keep your phone face up when not in hand/pocket, the hard back ones scratch easier than the softer ones. Another point to consider.
Old 30th September 2022, 19:51   #15127
BHPian

Guys, I am looking to purchase iPhone 14 pro max in Navi Mumbai/Mumbai area but every store including Apple's official website has a 4-week waiting period. Does anyone know of any store having stock available?
Old 30th September 2022, 19:52   #15128
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the kind advices all.

I bought a pre owned S22 ultra as having a blank home screen is quite important to me.

But as an erstwhile power user who has bricked way too many Androids cooking ROMs & tinkering, and as someone who highly values hardware specifications - I'm truly in awe of the iPhone 14 Pro Max and how it blows all Androids out of the water.

The A16 bionic is a beast and Apple have got their chip game spot on. Incredible.

This will be my last Android. I will probably buy the iPhone 15.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 20:28   #15129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in search of a nice clear cover which hold up well with minimal yellowing and provides a tactile button feedback for iPhone 13. Along with the case, I am looking for a screen protector too. I'll be happy to have suggestions to make the selection process easier.
Buy the Apple original clear case, it’s the best out there and should remain clear for the longest time. Check it out at an Apple Store and take a call. The raised side edges should protect your phone too in case of spills unless your luck is very bad. You don’t really need a screen protector.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 20:36   #15130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Does anyone know of any store having stock available?
Sellers/Retailers such as Reliance Digital or Aptronix are giving a delivery timeline of 1 week if iPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB is ordered online.
Old 30th September 2022, 20:49   #15131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Buy the Apple original clear case, it’s the best out there and should remain clear for the longest time. Check it out at an Apple Store and take a call. The raised side edges should protect your phone too in case of spills unless your luck is very bad. You don’t really need a screen protector.
I have read similar reviews of Apple's Clear Case and the reviews are indeed positive. The pricing is on the higher side though.

IMO, a screen protector is a must because Apple's Ceramic Shield tech that they have started using iPhone 12 onwards, it can take a stronger hit without shattering but the surface of the screen has become much more prone to small and fine scratches over a period of time. The screen protector here is more of a layer to protect the screen from getting scratched than to protect it from shattering, which is taken care of by Ceramic Shield.
Old 30th September 2022, 20:49   #15132
BHPian

Quote:
Sellers/Retailers such as Reliance Digital or Aptronix are giving a delivery timeline of 1 week if iPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB is ordered online.
Have you tried buying from apple online site directly ? My neighbour scouted reliance, Croma, unistore, vijay sales and other retailers for 2 days for regular iphone14 128gb. All had same excuse order and wait for 1 week or so or buy 256gb models.

Now the funny part, he went and ordered online from apple India site and got his phone is flat 1 day . Remember to order before 4 pm for next day delivery. Secure delivery via blue dart.

Edit: Apple online is also suggesting 4-5 weeks for delivery for pro max model though
The iPhone Thread-screenshot-20220930-8.54.18-pm.png

Last edited by roadjourno : 30th September 2022 at 20:55. Reason: correction
roadjourno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 20:54   #15133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Now the funny part, he went and ordered online from apple India site and got his phone is flat 1 day .
Apparently, the pro max 128gb models on the official website are having 4-5 weeks of delivery timeline minimum.
Old 30th September 2022, 21:05   #15134
BHPian

Folks I am an android user currently and I am planning to shift to iOS. No particular reason but just got bored of Android. Would need your suggestions should I go for the standard Iphone 14 or 13 . Does that suffice the requirements of experiencing the IOS or should i go for the Pro models. I am not hell bent on getting a phone which has the best camera. I am OK with a decent camera phone .My main priority if any is the battery life. I am not a very heavy user so no gaming an all that stuff.Would appreciate your suggestions please.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 21:41   #15135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have read similar reviews of Apple's Clear Case and the reviews are indeed positive. The pricing is on the higher side though.
Which Apple products are on the lower side my friend Except for the microfibre cloth their products are definitely superior than the competition. Having said that, price of a product versus its perceived value are things which each individual has to judge for themselves.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed