Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2022, 19:23   #15181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post

I mostly use Google apps (Chrome, Maps, Photos and Gmail). Looks like I'll be ditching Chrome in favor of Safari if the touch issue persists.
Same experience here. Infact my iPhone 12 used to heat up while using chrome and eventually I moved to safari instead of chrome which was my go to browser on androids and iPhone 6s. It’s a decent browser as such and the only drawback I see after usage of 1 year is lack of ‘find in page’ option.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 00:05   #15182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Same experience here. Infact my iPhone 12 used to heat up while using chrome and eventually I moved to safari instead of chrome which was my go to browser on androids and iPhone 6s. It’s a decent browser as such and the only drawback I see after usage of 1 year is lack of ‘find in page’ option.
But it’s right there. I think it was always there…
The iPhone Thread-fd16c3d9c4a14d8dbb87777769a734e8.jpeg
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 02:59   #15183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Any reasons, why you think this is a witch hunt against Apple? Why are they providing type C connector on the far end of the charging cable? What is stopping them from having same connector on other side? They have it in Mac and iPad. So this is simply a 'my way or highway' attitude. Apple fans should thank EU for such small mercies.
To me this is a simple case of government over regulation being passed off as a virtue. What does a government know about technology? If they do, do they know it more than the biggest technology company on the planet? What if there is another charging port which is better than USB C? It is a free market anyway and the customers vote with their wallet.

Personally, I dont care about USB-C at all. I charge my iPhone wirelessly over a slow wireless charger overnight. And I have not been able to exhaust my iPhone's battery in a single day no matter what I do.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 08:50   #15184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
To me this is a simple case of government over regulation being passed off as a virtue. What does a government know about technology? If they do, do they know it more than the biggest technology company on the planet? What if there is another charging port which is better than USB C? It is a free market anyway and the customers vote with their wallet.

Personally, I dont care about USB-C at all. I charge my iPhone wirelessly over a slow wireless charger overnight. And I have not been able to exhaust my iPhone's battery in a single day no matter what I do.
I am not in favor of government regulation in technology. But in some cases that may be warranted. Apple can provide details if lightning port is superior to USB Type C and ask other companies to shift to lightning connector. Why they are making that proprietary? Is lightning connector really technically advanced than USB type C in any matrix? If so why they don't use this in iPad and MAC?

Wireless charging is highly inefficient and wastes lot of power(>30%). Even though the power used to charge your mobile devices is less, if every company remove charging port, due to sheer number of devices, this will lead to huge wastage of power.

Last edited by poloman : 6th October 2022 at 08:53.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:23   #15185
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there any app to turn an iPhone into feature phone (call and sms only) with a single tap and then revert back into smart phone when required.

The route of parental controls, screen time, etc. is terribly cumbersome and not possible to use it to toggle often. Looking for something as convenient as “airplane mode” - dumb phone mode ON/OFF :-)
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:42   #15186
BHPian

Quote:
I am not in favor of government regulation in technology. But in some cases that may be warranted. Apple can provide details if lightning port is superior to USB Type C and ask other companies to shift to lightning connector. Why they are making that proprietary? Is lightning connector really technically advanced than USB type C in any matrix? If so why they don't use this in iPad and MAC?

Wireless charging is highly inefficient and wastes lot of power(>30%). Even though the power used to charge your mobile devices is less, if every company remove charging port, due to sheer number of devices, this will lead to huge wastage of power.
I had watched a video regarding this some time ago. When Apple shifted from the old broad port to the lightning, it had created a bit of a furore as people who had invested in accessories that was compatible to the old port found them rendered useless (or get an adapter). I remember that I had an SD card reader dongle which I could not use with the 5S. There are several such devices out there including medical devices which would have to be taken care of.

Also, am against govt legislating what products of private companies should do. If they had done this exercise 10 years ago, they would have mandated the USB mini port and when USB-C came along, they would have been at the mercy of the EU to re-legislate. Today technology moves fast and cannot wait for govts which moves at snail's pace.

People often cite the example of iPads moving to USB-C, but the story is slightly different there. The iPad is closer to a PC than a phone, so making it compatible to third party computer peripherals is more important than just charging.

Last edited by dragonfire : 6th October 2022 at 09:44.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 09:59   #15187
BHPian

Have a query regarding the Apple watch. Would an Apple watch 7 (GPS +Cellular) model purchased from the US work in India?
Old 6th October 2022, 10:20   #15188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Is there any app to turn an iPhone into feature phone (call and sms only) with a single tap and then revert back into smart phone when required. Looking for something as convenient as “airplane mode” - dumb phone mode ON/OFF :-)
Wouldn't disabling Wi-Fi and mobile data help in this case? You would just receive calls & SMS (no iMessage).
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 10:29   #15189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Discretionary legislation is even worse. EU seems to think they know more about iPhone customers than Apple themselves. I have multiple reasons to buy or to not buy an iPhone and USB C port does not even make the list. I am sure for some people it is a non negotiable and they are free to chose other brands which do.

One way lightening port is superior to USB-C is durability. I have an old HTC U11 lying around with a USB C port which has worn down and is loose now. I never had a lightning port on an iPhone fail me, durability wise ever. Even after a number of years of using it, it is still as stiff as it was on day 1. For a device which is going to be charged almost everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, durability is paramount to me as opposed to USB-C.

Would you change your opinion if lightning supported the same speeds as USB-C and is also backwards compatible? What happens to the legislation then? Do they expect tech companies to come to them for legislation every time they came up with a better port technology?

Quote:
Per your own logic would it not be a better use of their time to mandate removal of wireless charging than mandating on a connector?

FYI - for a phone with approx 4000mah battery you will use use approximately 5-6 units of electricity in a year. Accounting for 30% inefficiency, it would come to 8 units. I think we can agree there are bigger issues in the world than that.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th October 2022 at 10:58.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:00   #15190
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Discretionary legislation is even worse. EU seems to think they know more about iPhone customers than Apple themselves. I have multiple reasons to buy or to not buy an iPhone andr USB C port does not even make the list. I .
On a lighter note;

The EU and its foibles. Brussels and its pettiness was never better satirised than in the famous British TV Series of the 1980’s - Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 12:41   #15191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
But it’s right there. I think it was always there…
Attachment 2364914
Damn, my bad. Never scrolled down the share option. Thanks man, this helps. So safari is good enough

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th October 2022 at 12:42.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:14   #15192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One way lightening port is superior to USB-C is durability. I have an old HTC U11 lying around with a USB C port which has worn down and is loose now. I never had a lightning port on an iPhone fail me, durability wise ever. Even after a number of years of using it, it is still as stiff as it was on day 1. For a device which is going to be charged almost everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, durability is paramount to me as opposed to USB-C.

Would you change your opinion if lightning supported the same speeds as USB-C and is also backwards compatible? What happens to the legislation then? Do they expect tech companies to come to them for legislation every time they came up with a better port technology?

Lightning port support max 500Mbps speed? Type C up to 40Gbps. Type C can deliver up to twice the power, lightning can provide. Type C rated for 10,000 cycles, Apple never publishes such data since it is proprietary. No studies have found lightning connector durable than Type C.

If you are OK using decade year tech that is fine, but there are others who are highly inconvenienced. My wife's iPhone 7 earphone broke. We have 10's of 3.5mm and USB type c earphones lying around. But you have to spend 2K again to get one apple earphone. Same with charger. We had to spent 1.5K again after 3 years of usage despite the house filled with tons of type c cables.( This includes a Mac charger)

This in addition to inconvenience of having to carry 2 cables everywhere, be it in the car or on a trip.
The regulation is not limited to Apple. The mandate is for all chargeable devices I suppose. So no one is targeting Apple or its innovations.

Quote:
Per your own logic would it not be a better use of their time to mandate removal of wireless charging than mandating on a connector? FYI - for a phone with approx 4000mah battery you will use use approximately 5-6 units of electricity in a year. Accounting for 30% inefficiency, it would come to 8 units. I think we can agree there are bigger issues in the world than that.
That is one reason Apple has still not removed all ports. Many countries have regulations on power drawn from socket for electronic devices. So only wireless charging may be regulated unless efficiencies are improved.
You have around 15Billion mobile devices in the world today. So if all devices are using wireless charging, do the math how much energy will be wasted.

I have wireless charging in my phones from 2017. I rarely use that. I find it slow and the heat generated is detrimental to battery health.

Last edited by poloman : 6th October 2022 at 14:27.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 15:28   #15193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lightning port support max 500Mbps speed? Type C up to 40Gbps. Type C can deliver up to twice the power, lightning can provide. Type C rated for 10,000 cycles, Apple never publishes such data since it is proprietary. No studies have found lightning connector durable than Type C.
That is not what I said. I said what would your opinion be if lightening supported USB-C transfer speeds and backward compatibility in context of the legislation.

I dont think anyone has done a study but there are numerous reddit threads but more important than that is my own personal experience. Here's one example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme..._lightning_is/

Quote:
If you are OK using decade year tech that is fine, but there are others who are highly inconvenienced.
Yes exactly and for those others there are plenty of other options in the market apart from the iPhone. I dont like government mandating ports.

Quote:
My wife's iPhone 7 earphone broke. We have 10's of 3.5mm and USB type c earphones lying around. But you have to spend 2K again to get one apple earphone. Same with charger. We had to spent 1.5K again after 3 years of usage despite the house filled with tons of type c cables.( This includes a Mac charger)
Or you could have used the lightning to 3.5mm adapter which came with every iPhone for the initial few years?

Quote:
This in addition to inconvenience of having to carry 2 cables everywhere, be it in the car or on a trip.
And hence the reason why all mobile accessories are still lightning - Airpods, Airpods Pro, Airpods Max, Magsafe charger etc etc

Quote:
The regulation is not limited to Apple. The mandate is for all chargeable devices I suppose. So no one is targeting Apple or its innovations.
It is still overregulation no matter which company it is.

Quote:
That is one reason Apple has still not removed all ports. Many countries have regulations on power drawn from socket for electronic devices. So only wireless charging may be regulated unless efficiencies are improved.
You have around 15Billion mobile devices in the world today. So if all devices are using wireless charging, do the math how much energy will be wasted
I have wireless charging in my phones from 2017. I rarely use that. I find it slow and the heat generated is detrimental to battery health.
iPhone's are almost twice as efficient if not more for the same amount of performance. They get way more done from a much lower battery capacity than any competing phone. Would you like EU to mandate using iPhone's because of that?

The assumption being all 15bn mobile devices are smartphones and have wireless charging enabled and are being wirelessly charged everyday? Even then the actual impact is much smaller than most human activities. Question is how far are people willing to go?

I deliberately use a slow 5w wirelss charger to charge my phone overnight. Its like a trickle charge and generates no heat what so ever.

My last reply on this topic. I think I have made my case.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th October 2022 at 15:56.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 15:41   #15194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Every browser on iOS is a reskinned Safari because they all have to use webkit
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 19:04   #15195
BHPian

Airtel has started 5G services in Bangalore along with 7 other cities. While I was trying to enable 5G on my iPhone 13, I found that 5G mode is missing, did anyone else notice this behavior?
The iPhone Thread-iphone.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks