Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2022, 21:58   #15271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Has anyone noticed that after ios16 update with the optimised battery charging enabled, the battery charges to max 98%? Or is it just me. For sure it used to charge to 100% prior to the update. (My battery is at 100% health but is a replacement battery not sure if that is impacting the software.
I changed my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus battery recently and had the exact same issue, it would never charge above 98%. I took it back to the dealer who replaced it with another battery and the problem disappeared. Optimised battery charging is always enabled.

The difference between your case and mine is the replacement battery did not charge to 100% from the beginning for me.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 09:30   #15272
BHPian

Hi all, I've been contemplating about taking the dive and purchasing an iPhone. I've been an android user all my life (except the initial Symbian days, and the iPod Touch 4G). The only reason I want to move to iOS is for the stability of the OS. Frankly, android auto is driving me crazy - it is very slow to respond and sometimes crashes the apps.

Here are some things that make me reconsider:

1. I've heard that there's no way to make Google maps the default on iOS. Is this true?

2. How does initial transfer of data from an Android to an iPhone work?

3. Is Carplay superior to android auto? I've heard that there's no way to pan and zoom in Google maps using two fingers on Carplay, is that true?

4. What else will I miss if I make the switch?

Thanks!

Last edited by vedirah : 27th October 2022 at 09:37.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:06   #15273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
1. I've heard that there's no way to make Google maps the default on iOS. Is this true?
I use Google Maps and have deleted Apple Maps app.

Quote:
Move to iOS. Earlier Whatsapp transfer used to be a pain, that functionality is brought inside Whatsapp.

Quote:
3. Is Carplay superior to android auto? I've heard that there's no way to pan and zoom in Google maps using two fingers on Carplay, is that true?
Lot more stable on wired Carplay than wired Android Auto (with Oneplus 5). Wireless Carplay also has been stable, I do not have data point to compare against wireless Android Auto.

Pan is there, not zoom. You can use the Google Maps on your phone when connected to Carplay though (you have to exit Navigation mode). For Android Auto you have to unplug USB (basically disconnect Android Auto) to do so.

Google Assistant is a pain and I never been able to put it to proper use. Have put Siri to much better use over my iPhone ownership, even though am not much of a voice assistant person.

Quote:
Rooting, custom ROM, custom launcher. Change most of the default apps including dialer/messaging. In general, lot more tinker friendly if you are into that.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:29   #15274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedirah View Post
Hi all, I've been contemplating about taking the dive and purchasing an iPhone. I've been an android user all my life (except the initial Symbian days, and the iPod Touch 4G).

My Experience Switching from Samsung Android (S10+/S20 FE 5G) to the iPhone 14 Pro Max

I have made the switch 2 days ago from Android to iPhone for the first time and can comment on a few points.

The initial transfer of data is pretty easy:
  • Download the "Move to iOS" app on your Android, and select "Move data from Android" while setting up your new iPhone. Follow the steps and everything works pretty well, albeit may take a bit of time depending on how much data you have. I had about 8GB and it took about 30 mins or so (mostly WhatsApp data).
  • You have options to transfer Contacts, SMS's, Photos, Files, WhatsApp etc.
  • As a precaution for WhatsApp, probably good to back it up on your Android to Google Drive or similar first in case something goes wrong. After the transfer is done and you've done the initial iOS setup, you need to install WhatsApp from the app store and activate with your number, then it will ask you if you want to restore your data from the Android. You MUST select yes at this time to have all your data restored else I believe you will have to redo the whole process again.
  • I chose not to transfer my Photo Library as I had already backed them up to Google Photos on my Android, and so just installed the Google Photos app on the iPhone to have access to them (not too worried about the loss in quality, if you are then may be good to back the individual photos directly to a cloud service or laptop etc).

Learning Curve:
  • To be honest, for a first time user of iOS (I have been using a mac and iPad for almost 10 years), I do find there is a bit of a learning curve, especially with regards to navigating the UI. There is no swipe from the edge to go back as there is in Android, but overall the UI is a 100x smoother and easier to use, also very intuitive. Getting used to it slowly.
  • Face ID is excellent and super easy to use. Just look at the phone and it unlocks, much faster than fingerprint.
  • Notifications: getting used to these. For some reason I feel they are not as obvious or clear as Android and I have to look for them, but getting used to the way they pop up.

Switch to ESim on Jio:
  • This is very easy to do. You just need the EID and IMEI of your iPhone (printed on the back of the box or available in phone settings) and have to send a few messages to 199 to initiate the process. Instructions easily available on the Jio website.
  • I sent the SMS to do the transfer while the physical Sim was still in my Android. Need to keep the iPhone connected to WiFi while doing this.
  • Took about 2 hours on Jio to process, received a call to confirm and it was done almost instantly after that.
  • Once the old Sim is deactivated, need to go on your iPhone and select "Choose Carrier Plan" or similar. It will ask if you want to connect to Jio, click OK and in a few mins it's active!

---------

Note: My family brought down the iPhone from the UK. They kept it in their hand luggage sealed in the box and was stopped at customs. The whole thing was a sham with the officer's quoting random amounts of duty and saying each person is only allowed one Phone as per Govt of India law etc and anything else is taxable. Eventually they were clear and directly said that they will take a lower amount but no receipt. This was their real endgame obviously. Spoke very respectfully throughout though. My family member asked for a copy of these rules (I was ready to pay if legally required with an appropriate receipt of course), but after about 30 mins of not being able to produce them they asked them go without paying a penny. My family found the experience shocking but unfortunately that is the reality here.

TLDR: If you are bringing it down from abroad, suggest to take it out of the box and keep in a case to avoid the hassle.
s4ch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:34   #15275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I changed my wife’s iPhone 8 Plus battery recently and had the exact same issue, it would never charge above 98%. I took it back to the dealer who replaced it with another battery and the problem disappeared. Optimised battery charging is always enabled.

The difference between your case and mine is the replacement battery did not charge to 100% from the beginning for me.

Cheers
Good to know. Mine (also an 8 plus) seems to charge to 100% every other day. So i guess some real optimisation is really in play and nothing to worry in my case. (Or maybe i hadnt noticed this prior to ios16)

The iPhone Thread-5ec82f0717ca4e458bad95d3b4cc5437.jpeg
SideView is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 12:18   #15276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Good to know. Mine (also an 8 plus) seems to charge to 100% every other day. So i guess some real optimisation is really in play and nothing to worry in my case. (Or maybe i hadnt noticed this prior to ios16)
I have done plenty of iOS updates before and after the battery replacement, never had an issue with the battery charging to 98% except this one time because it was a problem with the battery itself.

Optimisation happens after every update which may make the battery drain faster due to processes working in the background till things settle down, however, it has nothing to do with the battery not charging to 100%.

If I were you, I would have the battery changed again quoting this issue. It’s what I did, your call.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:59   #15277
BHPian

Posting in public interest, the old Log-Aggregated file used to find the battery cycle count and other
capacities is no longer generated in iOS 16. Instead you'll find this info in Settings - privacy and security - analytics and improvements - analytics data - select the first file called Analytics - YY/MM/DD and scroll down until you run into this data-
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-53dd57eb656c4c39bbb969df6c1d600e.jpeg  

AJ56 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:51   #15278
Team-BHP Support

I feel one of the so-called transparencies from Apple on iPhone battery health is something that takes peace of mind out of the ownership experience. It makes users constantly watch out for battery health and adjust the charging patterns constantly to avoid that 1-2% drop that happens with regular usage. My suggestion is not to give so much importance to this aspect and use the phone as normal, charging as and when required (based on one’s usage pattern). Check the battery health once in a while, as a part of general housekeeping – just to make sure the device is running healthy.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 10:54   #15279
BHPian

Has anyone updated their iPhones, especially 12 series to the latest iOS 16.1? The 1st impressions look to be good from the reviews though; however, I am holding onto 15.5 currently before making the jump to a ‘stable’ 16. Any early takers who could share their experiences of 16.1?
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:30   #15280
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Has anyone updated their iPhones, especially 12 series to the latest iOS 16.1? The 1st impressions look to be good from the reviews though; however, I am holding onto 15.5 currently before making the jump to a ‘stable’ 16. Any early takers who could share their experiences of 16.1?
I use a 12 Pro Max and a 13 Mini. And an iPad Air and an iPad Mini.
All of these are on the latest iOS.
And all of them are performing well and behaving perfectly.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:33   #15281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am on 16.1 (on 14 Pro) and have noticed any issues; the same goes for my work phone (XR). As a norm, I always update to the latest version, as and when the release happens.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 14:58   #15282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I feel one of the so-called transparencies from Apple on iPhone battery health is something that takes peace of mind out of the ownership experience.
I can see how some people are negatively affected by it, but in my case I actually gain peace of mind by knowing live operational stats on my devices, be it battery stats like capacity left and cycle count or coolant and tyre temps (and pressures) in my cars.

Gives you a feeling of control and that everything is functioning to spec. In fact I would love if Apple was more transparent and provided the cycle count and nominal charge capacity under battery health, would reduce the effort needed to access these values significantly.

Plus, having raw data helps with analysis. Taking my own example, I just used my 12 pro max without any regard for the battery soc and charging conditions and I lost 20% in 1 year and 1 month of use (down to 80%). On my 13 pro max after exactly the same (probably more) cycles and 1 year and 1 month I’ve lost only 6% (down to 94%), this delays my battery replacement by over a year which is not insignificant.

Batteries are cheap yes but I don’t like the way the apple service guys handle the device, last time I got the phone back with scuffs around the star screws. So it’s a win for me if I can delay replacement.

Last edited by AJ56 : 29th October 2022 at 15:12.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 16:22   #15283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IPhone 13.
Updated the moment update was available.
No issues and excellent battery life so far.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 21:10   #15284
BHPian

I usually update the same day an update arrives. None of the updates have ever rendered the phones unusable. I don’t see any issues either in my iPhone 13 or my wife’s 12 mini or my son’s iPad Air 4. But then we didn’t have any issues with 16.0.3 either.
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 22:21   #15285
BHPian

What is the general consensus here around buying Apple Care Plus. Do you buy it or just make do with a good screen and back protector? How is the durability of the phones?

For the iPhone 14 Pro, it's a whopping 28.9k for 2 years. Ofcourse it's like insurance and you wish you never have to use it, but any ideas around the experience and honor of claims etc.?
amit_2025 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed