Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2022, 00:43   #15346
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
I just bought a 14 plus from Singapore, With bill from duty free I don't think it should be a problem. There is a price difference of about 6K cheaper in Singapore but only if you buy from duty free else prices in city stores are same as what we have in India.

Even stores in Singapore don't have pro models in stock , if you are hoping for a pro then you are better off ordering online.
I had bought my iPhone 13 Pro from Singapore for 1550 SGD last year when I was visiting Singapore. It was around 30-40k cheaper than India.

But I agree with pro models being out of stock everywhere. I had to check around in multiple shops to get mine.
dheer4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 02:04   #15347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
What's wrong with Tim Cook?
OT: I wonder if Steve Jobs would have only increased it to $22.22 to keep the UX consistent

Increasing to $22.22 From December 22, 2022
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 02:41   #15348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
OT: I wonder if Steve Jobs would have only increased it to $22.22 to keep the UX consistent

Increasing to $22.22 From December 22, 2022
That's a good catch.

This proves that Cook is greedy. He wanted that extra 0.73 USD to fill up his already swelling coffers.

Steve would have done exactly what you said to maintain that magical UI consistency matching the commercial numbers.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 06:55   #15349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Even stores in Singapore don't have pro models in stock , if you are hoping for a pro then you are better off ordering online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
But I agree with pro models being out of stock everywhere. I had to check around in multiple shops to get mine.
One of the Telco (here in Singapore), SingTel provides stock availability on their website (updated every 10 minutes). As you can see, the 14 Pro Max is mostly out of stock, not so bad for the 14 Pro. Regular 14 and 14 Max are available almost in all retailers.

I won’t be surprised if Apple realigns the lineup further next year to 15, 15 Pro, and 15 Ultra.
Old 24th November 2022, 16:54   #15350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
2 - Any trouble with eSims in India on an imported device?
No problem. My wife is using 2 eSIMs (Airtel & Jio).

Quote:
3 - Apple care is global I believe, so I can buy it here, please confirm.
You can. But is it worth it?

Quote:
PS - anyone traveling soon and can carry a phone into India (esp Bangalore) for me, I would thank you for a million years. Please DM.
There are shops in Dubai who will deliver it to you in India for AED 150/-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karaboudjan View Post
Hello everyone,
I am a seafarer and hence sail across the entire globe. A particular difficulty faced during changing of time zones in the iPhone time setting is such that it requires a city to be input for a particular time zone. I would prefer to be able to adjust the clock relative to the UTC time, for example, by inputting UTC-11, so on and so forth. Is there any work around for this? I wish Apple incorporate this setting in their software updates in the near future.
I had the same problem with a OnePlus 7 Pro. Later I discovered that there was an option to set by UTC offset. Check if it's there in the iPhone.
Most of the time you will have a city available in your timezone. Only time you will have a problem is when you are crossing the Atlantic or Pacific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheer4 View Post
The cost of taxis for this would have partially offset the price advantage you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Now there has been a development. My wife is not happy with the iPhone 14 Pro Max. She want's to move back to Android.
Looks like she is now comfortable with the iPhone.

Quote:
Unless my wife decides she can manage with the iPhone.
Well she has decided. That means I will have to go ahead a buy a new iPhone for myself. Considering the prices in India, I am certain I will have to buy from abroad. If I make a trip to Dubai or any friends are going I'll get one.

Has anyone tried the "Delivery to home" option from the stores in Dubai. There are mixed reviews of the same. Prices have increased in Dubai too due to the shortage of the Pro Models.
pedrolourenco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 20:42   #15351
BHPian

My wife is planning to buy a new phone (she currently uses an iPhone 11). Currently considering between iPhone 13 mini vs iPhone 14.

Based on a quick comparison off the internet, iPhone 14 has better ram and battery. The camera seems to be almost at par in both. She is keen to get iPhone 13 mini because of the smaller size.
- iPhone 14 price - 61k
- iPhone 13 mini - 45k

Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones and can advise? Thanks in advance.

PS: The prices are after the trade-in offer on the current phone.

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th November 2022 at 06:01. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
Old 26th November 2022, 20:23   #15352
BHPian

I recently switched from android to iPhone and realised few rude shocks.

1. I extensively use contactless payment using google pay. Not supported on iPhones. Apple has its own solution as Apple Pay, but can’t be used in India.

2. Life is so much easier with Truecaller to keep all spam callers at bay, however is impaired on iPhone and is of not much help!

3. No gesture for back, have to find that back on top of app.

4. Still trying to find my way around selectively disabling unwanted notifications. Android makes it easy to disable certain channels from same app. iOS seems to all or none, unless I am yet to learn how it’s done.

5. I was using 65w fast typeC charger with android. Based on my reading I thought lighting cable plus this charger should get me faster charging since iPhone 13 does support fast typeC chargers. But nope, it still charges slowly and takes ages !

I haven’t spent enough time yet with iPhone and I could be wrong on many counts above. Pls let me now if you have any suggestions?
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 20:48   #15353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones and can advise? Thanks in advance.
My wife is using the 12 Mini for close to 2 yrs now. She is not a very demanding user, and is pretty happy with it. The small form factor is exactly what attracted her too. The only negative is the battery life. Battery health, as shown in the settings, has dropped to about 85%. It may need replacing next year if the health drops further (below 80).

No other issues. All OTA updates have been smooth and the phone is just as responsive as before.
Old 27th November 2022, 11:20   #15354
BHPian

Quote:
My wife is using the 12 Mini for close to 2 yrs now. She is not a very demanding user, and is pretty happy with it. The small form factor is exactly what attracted her too. The only negative is the battery life. Battery health, as shown in the settings, has dropped to about 85%. It may need replacing next year if the health drops further (below 80).

No other issues. All OTA updates have been smooth and the phone is just as responsive as before.
Thanks. My wife has similar usage pattern. Can you help with battery charging intervals? Does it atleast last a day before needing a charge again?
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 11:44   #15355
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. My wife has similar usage pattern. Can you help with battery charging intervals? Does it atleast last a day before needing a charge again?
I used the 12 mini for almost a year, and for my usage pattern, had to do a quick charge by around late afternoon. They say 13 mini is slightly better with the battery aspect.

If form factor is not that important I would suggest going with the regular 13. Compared to the current smart phone sizes, it doesn't feel that big to hold / carry. And the battery backup is much better compared to the mini.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 14:19   #15356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It used to last her approx 2 days when new, which has come down to 1 day now. From what I have noticed, the standby drain isn’t too severe, so it definitely lasts longer with lower use.
Old 27th November 2022, 14:52   #15357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
I haven’t spent enough time yet with iPhone and I could be wrong on many counts above. Pls let me now if you have any suggestions?
I made the switch other way after 6 years with an iPhone and what you said all are very much accurate.

On the payment, if it helps I used to carry one of my NFC tap and pay card under the case of the iPhone as a workaround.
Old 27th November 2022, 20:10   #15358
BHPian

Quote:
- iPhone 14 price - 61k
- iPhone 13 mini - 45k

Is anyone out there who has experienced both phones and can advise?.
Not both phones. But about a month ago, I replaced my 1st gen iPhone SE with a 13 mini. So I cannot compare it against an iphone 11 or 14. My requirement was a phone with a smaller format like SE. Now-a-days such phones don't exist anymore. So the next good option is a 12 mini or a 13 mini. With tests proving that 13 mini having better battery than 12 mini and camera module from 12 pro, 13 mini is a no brainer as I don't upgrade phones that often (SE was from 2016). What I find it interesting is, inspite of (so called) smaller form factor, the screen real estate is pretty good on 13 mini. That means, even with my very long palm and fingers (Mind you I am 6'3"), 13 mini is not comfortable to operate with 1 hand. Occasionally yes, but regularly no.

I also looked at 14 series, but the lack of mini in 14 lineup is a dealbreaker for me. Also it is not leaps and bounds ahead of 13 series. Hence I chose for 13 mini. I charge it once in 1.5 days. Previous SE, I used to charge every evening. If your wife doesn't mind having the previous gen phone and not an extensive user, a 13 mini is highly recommended.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 27th November 2022 at 20:12.
carthick1000 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 21:30   #15359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
I recently switched from android to iPhone and realised few rude shocks.

These are all accurate. I bought an iPhone 14 and tried switching from my Note 10 lite. Realized it is no match for what a 3 year old Android midranger can do and switched back. Payment and fast charging were my dealbreakers. I should have researched it more. The iPhone now stays in my backpack permanently as a backup phone. The idle battery back up is phenomenonal. It can stay in my backpack for weeks and still have charge left. No Android can do that.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 27th November 2022 at 21:36.
Old 28th November 2022, 08:33   #15360
BHPian

Quote:
- iPhone 14 price - 61k
- iPhone 13 mini - 45k
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I used the 12 mini for almost a year, and for my usage pattern, had to do a quick charge by around late afternoon. They say 13 mini is slightly better with the battery aspect.
Quote:
It used to last her approx 2 days when new, which has come down to 1 day now. From what I have noticed, the standby drain isn’t too severe, so it definitely lasts longer with lower use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Not both phones. But about a month ago, I replaced my 1st gen iPhone SE with a 13 mini.
Thank you all for the inputs. We purchased an iPhone 14 yesterday. Primarily because 13 mini is no longer available in physical stores. We did not want to buy before getting a feel of the device. Based on discussion with the iPlanet staff, it seems Apple will discontinue 13 mini in India very soon. So if anyone is eyeing it, would be better to order it now online.

Coming to iPhone 14, it felt very similar to 11, tad lighter I would say. Also got a good deal because the store was running discounts on their 11th anniversary on top of HDFC cashback.

Last edited by warrioraks : 28th November 2022 at 08:35.
warrioraks is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed