Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2008, 13:08   #826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Damn - I got (note: not bought) an iPhone 3G

Tadu - SOS coming to you soon to make it friendly for a WinMo user.
arre why dont you just donate to me then

so did you get the unlocked version?
Old 13th August 2008, 13:11   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
so did you get the unlocked version?
Nope got the locked version, primarily to check out data traffic originating from phones unlocked using different hacks off the net. Too many complaints about excess data usage bills on iPhones.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th August 2008 at 13:12.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:23   #828
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope got the locked version, primarily to check out data traffic originating from phones unlocked using different hacks off the net. Too many complaints about excess data usage bills on iPhones.
OT: sometimes i think am in the wrong industry!!
Old 14th August 2008, 01:30   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Too many complaints about excess data usage bills on iPhones.
I learnt the hard way....got a huge bill for data roaming during my last trip to aussie land ...the "data roaming off" option is useless!
Old 15th August 2008, 18:53   #830
BHPian

Ny Teknik, Sweden's foremost engineering weekly, obtained a report on tests conducted by unnamed experts that showed some handsets' sensitivity to third-generation network signals is well below the level specified in the 3G standard.

The report said the most likely cause of the 3G problems is defective adjustments between the antenna and an amplifier that captures very weak signals from the antenna. This could lead to poor 3G connectivity and slower data speeds.

Check this link out

?3G iPhone has engineering defect? - Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech

I suggest everyone to wait and see before buying from Airtel or Vodaphone.
Old 15th August 2008, 21:39   #831
Senior - BHPian

It is coming on 22nd August with both airtel and september , but any news about the price. I am looking to buy it soon!
Old 15th August 2008, 21:46   #832
Team-BHP Support

Around 27K is what I am hearing.
Old 16th August 2008, 00:41   #833
Senior - BHPian

Prices haven't yet been announced by Airtel. They should be doing it early next week. This is from someone I know in Airtel.
Old 17th August 2008, 12:36   #834
Senior - BHPian

Chinese iPhone

Untill we get the official iPhone in India, the Chinese ephone is there
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-ephone.png  

Old 17th August 2008, 14:58   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxj2005 View Post
The report said the most likely cause of the 3G problems is defective adjustments between the antenna and an amplifier that captures very weak signals from the antenna. This could lead to poor 3G connectivity and slower data speeds.

Check this link out

?3G iPhone has engineering defect? - Telecom-News-Indiatimes - Infotech

I suggest everyone to wait and see before buying from Airtel or Vodaphone.

From my experiences over the weekend, the iPhone has several issues:

1. While Roaming it does not latch on to a network as easily as other phones - the phone needs to be turned off and on twice or thrice to get a network.

2. You also cannot seem to select networks manually - it could be my ignorance as I have not used this on roaming before, but I cannot find an option to choose network anywhere.

3. EVEN after it latches onto a network, the whole process in (1) needs to be repeated again if your phone runs out of battery and is off-net for a while.

4. You can short-circuit the process of turning the phone on and off by inserting a SIM from the visited network. For instance, I borrowed a Vodafone SIM from a friend in Bangalore and it authenticated immediately, after which I only had to insert my SIM again for it to roam.

I dearly miss my HTC and Blackberrys, but I have to keep at this. My son, on the other hand, is very happy with the iPhone as he was having a lot of fun with it.
Old 17th August 2008, 19:53   #836
Senior - BHPian

31K for the 8 GB and 36-37K for the 16GB is what I heard.
Old 18th August 2008, 12:44   #837
Senior - BHPian

My heartfelt advice for all wannabe iPhone 3G owners here: IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

The USP of the iPhone is the UI and the cool factor - you already have that with the original iPhone. You dont need to shell out another 15k for the 3G part because India has no 3G, and wont have it for the foreseeable future. By the time we get 3G, I'm sure the 3G part of the iPhone would be much better than what it is today - it really sucks when compared to other phones at the moment. Connectivity is bad, sporadic and the push mail needs to be pushed manually every now and then.

You want an iPhone, go for the original. Save the $$.
Old 18th August 2008, 14:21   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
31K for the 8 GB and 36-37K for the 16GB is what I heard.
your joking!!!!!!!

if this is true i can bid adieu to my purchase!!!
Old 18th August 2008, 14:38   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
your joking!!!!!!!

if this is true i can bid adieu to my purchase!!!
Yep. NC is right. It'll be priced around that much. Here are some of the 'extraordinary' features of the iPhone. Got this as an email:

No video calling

No AD2P on the Bluetooth

Can't share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth

Can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)

No copy and paste,(cannot copy a part of a.... say.... email & send it....have to type it out yourself)

No 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera,(the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera i've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera)

No video recording with camera,

No front camera,

No flash.

No JAVA support

No physical keyboard (BELIEVE me! this alone is a dealbreaker...touch
keyboard as good as it looks...once you use it then only you come to know about the importance of having a hard keypad)

No 3G network yet in India..so why pay for expensive 3G phone if you cant use its 3G services ... so, for India, iPhone 2.0 is no better than its first version

No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)

No haptic feedback.

Cannot send MMS.

Can't use as external storage device (16 GB of utter waste..next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, etc...sorry you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it!!!! Apple apparently has a solution.. " BUY MUSIC & MOVIES FROM iTUNES STORE "..... Give me a break will you APPLE!!!)

No FM radio,

Can't use your mp3 files as ringtones,(This is heights man!!!)

Cannot insert any other SIM card

Completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone.

list goes on & on & on
We Indians are used to these features. Most of our phones already have these features. & we cannot do with out them.... i mean can you imagine paying so much for a phone with which you cannot transfer files via bluetooth. what age is this ...STONE AGE???

X
Old 18th August 2008, 15:07   #840
BHPian

excellent I was trying to say this many months back on this very forum and people were saying "nah the iphone rocks"
Most of the iphone gaps mentioned above are features on good camera phones as well as good business phones.
The iphone is good for someone who has never used a good camera or business phone and is migrating from a dumb low end nokia phone with a torch in it, even for those people they will complain of iphone's lack of ruggedness
I am not against a good product, but something which is overhyped, overpriced, closed and proprietry and to add to it crazy expensive, no way!!
I am ready to pay 30k for a good phone (have paid 45k once), but not for the current iphone. Infact I gifted a gen1 iphone to my house-mate, but for me, I will wait and see if it passes our corporate phone policy and will be provided as our corporate phone in a modified or improved incarnation. No way apple is getting anything out of my pocket, not for an iphone, not for an ipod.

Last edited by jassi : 18th August 2008 at 15:08.

Most Viewed