Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 21:23   #16
BANNED

Are the last digits same?

#1 - +91-11-420420420 and
#2 - +01-44-420420420 ??

On some phones, numbers like these show same address book entry.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
100% that number is saved twice under 2 different names.
try deleting the entry that you are aware of and calling again. hopefully it will show the entry that you are not aware of, i.e. if it's just 2 and not more than two entries conflicting.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
The thought of going through 500+ entries in my phone book is scaring me!
Easy way, delete the entry you know and dial the number, it should now display name.
If this does not work, it means you have saved it more than 2 times, other than manual scan, Mobiledit / Nokia PC suite are good options.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
100% that number is saved twice under 2 different names.

exactly!!

do the following!
1. delete the numbers that you saved yourself
2. dial that number>note the name that pops up> edit that number, simple

do the same for the other home number.

PS: why do you people use pc suite to backup numbers. After n series, there is an option to backup your contacts in external memory cards.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:52   #20
Team-BHP Support

Same number under 2 names = software confused = it takes safe route and display the number, tell user go figure

1) delete your entry. Call the number, the name tag will show up. Problem identified solve move on
2) Inspite deleting your entry, number shows up, You might have more than 2 names already entered??

Since you use sync, the entries are there in your outlook or similar contact manager application. Use search func and figure which all contacts the number is saved. Fix the issue and sync.

I use outlook and its very convenient to sort phone book, putting names in right format and numbers under right headers etc.
Old 17th April 2008, 21:57   #21
BHPian

Yes as many ones stated here, its the result of same number stored in two or more names. I had this problem in my N95 and spent almost 4-5 hours to figure it out. It has happened later too, but then I knew the trick . In your case, among the 500 entries, the home number would have stored in another name too, or as a second or third number in a contact. Or the same contact would have replicated (identical contacts just like a copy/paste with same names and numbers). This has also happened to me with my N95 last week. When my close friend called me, it was just the number. I was sure that his number is not saved with in any other contact name. But to my surprise his contact was replicated (it was like the phone did a copy/paste job itself). I deleted one and it worked fine.
Old 17th April 2008, 22:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post

Check all your contacts, If the number is stored in 2 different names, it will not show up as a contact.

This is true and this should be the problem in your case. I just double checked it now on my friend's nokia phone. (Mobiles other than nokia picks the first name on the list if there are duplicates)
Old 17th April 2008, 22:16   #23
BHPian

@nishantgandhi - this happens with my E90 too. But later i found out that same number was stored under 2 separate names, so it showed up just the no. when a call was made.

BTW, there's one more glitch in Nokia and Motorola phones.

If you have 2 similar numbers : as in 9823012345 and 9823112345 : the only difference being one of the digits, the phone tends to show same Name of the contact ( mostly the one that comes first alphabetically ) for both, when a call is made. In phonebook, it'll showup absolutely normal.

I wonder how these companies missed out on such a small glitch. Its not present in SE phones.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 17th April 2008 at 22:18.
Old 17th April 2008, 23:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

I have a Nokia E61i, since Jan 2008. Prior to this I had a Nokia E50. I transferred all my contacts (phonebook) via Nokia PC Suite application when I bought the new phone. All messages, settings, bookmarks, songs, videos - everything got transferred verbatim.

Everything works well except 2 numbers. Strangely, these 2 are my most received calls i.e. my Delhi home landline number (MTNL) and my Mumbai home landline number (Airtel).

No matter how I store the 2 numbers, it always shows up as just the number, and not the name tag.

I have tried re-naming both to different names, just in case the "Home" is creating a conflict (ideally it should not). But it doesnt show the name tag.
nishanth, i too have a e61i and exactly had the same problem with my wifey's mobile number just till this moment. i too tried different options for the last few months but in vain.

As suggested by jaggu, sam and others, i browsed through my entire phone book to ensure that there are no two names with the same number and to my dismay did not find any till the last name, but after that a number popped up, but was unnamed, voila its the same number, deleter that one and now my problem is gone.

check for some unnamed ones, it is in the end of the list.

regards
tifosi.
Old 17th April 2008, 23:05   #25
BHPian

This problem will only happen if you save the same number twice on two different entries. So do what others have suggested. Also, if you can search your phonebook for a number, then do a search and I am sure you will be presented with two individual entries. Then all you got to do is to delete one entry and you'll be good to go ;-)
Old 18th April 2008, 11:09   #26
BHPian

I have faced this problem in my 9300i, The problem was with home land line (MTNL).

No matter what name I gave, it just displayes the number. Finally deleted from Phone book and added the number in the SIM and now looks like the problem has got resolved.

It is really wierd to see this. Even if you have same number stored with 2 different names. The algorith picks up the earlier one and displayes. I have tried that.
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Problem solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
nishanth, i too have a e61i and exactly had the same problem with my wifey's mobile number just till this moment. i too tried different options for the last few months but in vain.
Why would you keep your wife's number 'unnamed'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Same number under 2 names = software confused = it takes safe route and display the number, tell user go figure

1) delete your entry. Call the number, the name tag will show up. Problem identified solve move on
2) Inspite deleting your entry, number shows up, You might have more than 2 names already entered??

Since you use sync, the entries are there in your outlook or similar contact manager application. Use search func and figure which all contacts the number is saved. Fix the issue and sync.

I use outlook and its very convenient to sort phone book, putting names in right format and numbers under right headers etc.
Problem solved! I deleted the entry. And then called the number. The other associated entry showed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
PS: why do you people use pc suite to backup numbers. After n series, there is an option to backup your contacts in external memory cards.
The same function is there in E series devices as well. I just keep 2 backups. You can never be sure which device can act funny at times!

Thanks guys!
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great tip Jaggu.

Nishant nice to know your problem is resolved have faced this myself & found out the reason as everyone else posted.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks