Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 15:03   #166
BANNED

Re: Where to find India's Maps for Garmin GPS

What i find is that is checks for the number somewhere but the installation is quite painless. I had downloaded the map and installed on my 2465LM, and then I tried to do the same using the same map on my son's 2465. It baulked, but when I set it up to download, and skipped the download it worked very nicely. Why this - it saved me a lot of bandwidth.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:15   #167
BHPian

Anyone here uses OpenStreetMaps (OSM) on their Garmin devices?
I was able to install (was simple step of just copying the .img files of different countries on the SD card) maps for different countries but want to know how one can go about making a route plan, identify points of interest etc.

Is it through the BaseCamp Versions of these OSM maps where you do the planning and then sync it or something?
Any leads will be great help in our upcoming cross country drives.
Tks.
Old 26th March 2015, 09:28   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyonwheels View Post
I was able to install (was simple step of just copying the .img files of different countries on the SD card) maps for different countries but want to know how one can go about making a route plan, identify points of interest etc.

Is it through the BaseCamp Versions of these OSM maps where you do the planning and then sync it or something?
Tks.
I used OSM on my Garmin nuvi 1250T. Not for India though, I loaded maps for Germany and used it quite a lot to drive around there. Got me from door to door with no hassles whatsoever. I used BaseCamp on a PC for planning, setting up waypoints, downloading them to the GPS and then retrieving the trip logs back from it.
Old 29th March 2015, 10:50   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I used OSM on my Garmin nuvi 1250T. Not for India though, I loaded maps for Germany and used it quite a lot to drive around there. Got me from door to door with no hassles whatsoever. I used BaseCamp on a PC for planning, setting up waypoints, downloading them to the GPS and then retrieving the trip logs back from it.
Hi Ajit,
This is great to know. As you are based in bangalore, would love to reach out and get some tips. Will pm.
Cheers,
Old 29th March 2015, 16:48   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tks.
- There is nothing called Basecamp version.
- Basecamp is a S/W from Garmin which is used for route planning. (This you already know I guess).
- OSM maps typically comes with an installer which update the map on Basecamp installation.
- If you buy maps from MMI for garmin, you can do the same. Just that you keep the map on USB or SD card and connect to the computer. Basecamp will detect the map.
- You can create a route plan on Basecamp with use of either trip planner or your own method.
- Once the route is generated, you can transfer it to the device by connecting it to the PC.
- On the device, open trip planner. I hope this is post 2013 device where most of the routes are installed via trip planner.

Hope that helps.
Old 30th March 2015, 08:52   #171
BANNED

@ampere; I may try again. I am sure you remember the experiment we had some time ago. What I may do is to copy the map from the uSD card (now 2465 keeps the map on the uSD - too big for the internal storage), onto a Dongle and then try! i guess the sensible point may be once the 2015.10 update comes.
Old 1st July 2015, 09:49   #172
BHPian

I want to purchase a Garmin nuviCAM LMTHD GPS / Dashcam combo from the US as this is not available here.

But how do I then replace / buy Maps for India to replace the US maps that will be delivered with it? What does it cost & will it be a lifetime update too?
Old 1st July 2015, 14:24   #173
BANNED

@gsurya; I do not think you will get LM for India. The maps (3 per year) used to be $100 per throw.
Old 20th July 2015, 17:00   #174
Senior - BHPian

We recently did a family trip to US. The car we rented had its own built in GPS. I carried my Garmin Nuvi 265W updated with the latest NA maps as well. However in reality, we ended up using my Android phone more than any of the other devices. I found it is better to use Google Maps for its ability to detect realtime traffic and provide alternate routes, and better fine grained mapping even for walking and bike trails. The only issue with it was its inability to work in offline mode, especially while driving in areas without good cell coverage. But that was relatively less frequent.

Last edited by vasoo : 20th July 2015 at 17:01.
Old 20th July 2015, 17:27   #175
BHPian

Just dusted my Garmin Nuvi 530 purchased from US. Is there anyway to get Garmin India maps for it? I have been using Map My India maps on it so far and its a very outdated map and I have to purchase the new version of map anyways.
Old 20th July 2015, 17:31   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Just dusted my Garmin Nuvi 530 purchased from US. Is there anyway to get Garmin India maps for it? I have been using Map My India maps on it so far and its a very outdated map and I have to purchase the new version of map anyways.
It depends on which region you are looking at. I think even a 3-4 year old MMI map version is quite good for south India. The important things which may not get updated are roads around the cities. But then for city at least end up using Google maps on phone. If you are looking at highway routes, most of them are pretty much there in the older versions.
Old 13th September 2015, 23:17   #177
BHPian

Got a Garmin Nuvi 42LM a couple of months back, having India (2014.30 Here) maps.
While I tried to update to latest 2015.20 through Garmin Express for some reason it doesn't work, although s/w upgrade worked fine.

Was just wondering whether there is any way to directly download Here maps and use it through an SD card?
Old 14th September 2015, 10:21   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Folks ,
I have won a bid on ebay (US) for Garmin650 for 232.5USD. Is it worth? I will have to spend another 5K INR for Indian maps from Garmin.
Not worth it. Get a unit with LM in India. Maps are then free.
Old 20th September 2015, 01:15   #179

Quote:
Have tried it many years ago using a .img file, but not sure how it works now.

This site seems to have routable data extracts per country: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl
Old 20th September 2015, 06:11   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Have tried it many years ago using a .img file, but not sure how it works now.

This site seems to have routable data extracts per country: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I have been using Indians maps from openstreet for the last three years. I find for my purpose, bumming around on my Bullet, the maps provide sufficient level of detail

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks